• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any way to turn a looped video into a stage background?

Dekarus

Smash Rookie
Just curious, seeing as it would make working on this current stage so much quicker.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Not without converting it into individual frames and importing every frame separately into the stage.
Then reanimating it.

It's also worth mentioning that animation via individual textures ramps up the file size significantly and you're likely to hit the stage filesize limit quicker.

Last edited:

Dekarus

Smash Rookie
Not without converting it into individual frames and importing every frame separately into the stage.
Then reanimating it.

It's also worth mentioning that animation via individual textures ramps up the file size significantly and you're likely to hit the stage filesize limit quicker.
Great. Well, I have a feeling that making Pepsi man as the background for a custom battlefield is going to be much more tedious. At least it's only 51 seconds, so it won't be too much larger for the filesize.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Great. Well, I have a feeling that making Pepsi man as the background for a custom battlefield is going to be much more tedious. At least it's only 51 seconds, so it won't be too much larger for the filesize.
51 seconds of animation is far too long and far too many frames. You're looking at over 1500 frames assuming the video is at least 30fps.

The filesize for battlefield itself can barely reach 4MBs at that.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Okay, then. Any suggestions to make it an animation like FD?
FD is a combination of 3d / spherical models and textures "wrapped" onto them and told to move a certain way. Totals at 9600 frames iirc. It's easy on the filesize since it doesn't use individual textures for each frame of animation.

If you wanted to recreate the pepsiman background to play in the same vein as FD does, you'd need to either import the model of the city used in the game (not an easy feat) or model one yourself and animate it through brawlbox (also not easy).

Dekarus

Smash Rookie
Okay, I found the main set of textures I want to replace in BrawlBox, but it's asking for raw data files exclusively for both importing and exporting. Any suggestions to get it to give PNGs, so I know what resolution to use for these?

Top Bottom