• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any chance of the 4 locked characters being released in next patch?

Negalith

Smash Cadet
So I love project M. I'm a late comer to the party so to speak, just got PM working recently, but I was wondering if in the next patch we'll be seeing the release of Olimar, Samus, Yoshi, and the infamous flying pink squid Kirby. I would love to have Olimar in the roster again, and the adding of Mewtwo and Roy is awesome, but I honestly can't wait to have those last 4 characters back into the fray as soon as they figure ways to implement them successfully. I know there is a lot to the process of reworking and balancing the characters, and I'm just thankful that Project M is a real thing. Anyways, Let me know what you guys think!

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
idk, but after thinking of it...I see Kirby as the last character to be patched in....Only reason I think this is...his hats. Assuming they can get them to function properly...everytime someone's B move gets changed and tweaked they'll probably have to redesign kirby also...if my theory is true...then DAMN....must suck working on kirby.

Negalith

Smash Cadet
heh, yeah, he's probably a pain in the butt for the team. At this point, I'd be happy to see just Olimar, Yoshi, and Samus back in. Olimar for no other reason than I love pikmin!

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
idk, but after thinking of it...I see Kirby as the last character to be patched in....Only reason I think this is...his hats. Assuming they can get them to function properly...everytime someone's B move gets changed and tweaked they'll probably have to redesign kirby also...if my theory is true...then DAMN....must suck working on kirby.
Supposedly, that's the same reason Sakurai didn't put Kirby in any of the playable press conference demos pre-Brawl release, even though Kirby was one of the first confirmed characters.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Supposedly, that's the same reason Sakurai didn't put Kirby in any of the playable press conference demos pre-Brawl release, even though Kirby was one of the first confirmed characters.

wouldn't shock me if that was the case. I suspect kirby in smash 4 will be the same way.

Negalith

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure, I see the climbers coming back soon because they were in Melee so they already have I guess what you could call a template, though I suspect that Project M will buff them a little at least. I'm thinking Kirby probably won't see the light of day for a long while still, though that's not a shock. I honestly would love to see a Melee'd Olimar. I imagine that when they do finally have him ready to go, he'll probably be one of the most deep and technical characters in the game as far as how he attacks. He'll make for a strange transition indeed, definitely not a Sonic situation here. I will admit to a little confusion though as to why Samus hasn't already been implemented. I figured she'd be the first to join the fight again.

DarkMagicX2

The Worst Ganondorf Ever
NNID
DarkMagicX2
3DS FC
5386-7375-0560
I'm not sure, I see the climbers coming back soon because they were in Melee so they already have I guess what you could call a template, though I suspect that Project M will buff them a little at least. I'm thinking Kirby probably won't see the light of day for a long while still, though that's not a shock. I honestly would love to see a Melee'd Olimar. I imagine that when they do finally have him ready to go, he'll probably be one of the most deep and technical characters in the game as far as how he attacks. He'll make for a strange transition indeed, definitely not a Sonic situation here. I will admit to a little confusion though as to why Samus hasn't already been implemented. I figured she'd be the first to join the fight again.
I remember hearing somebody on the PMBR say once that Samus hasn't been included because of technical issues. Something about her Zair rewriting bits of code to the physics engine causing all kinds of wacky anomalies such as Falcon's Up-B reaching ridiculous heights and such.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Yeah, I think every missing character at this point has some immense technical issue that the team is working to overcome. Even Yoshi - I think the fact that his shield was written differently has been giving them a big headache, surprising as that may sound.

It's amazing how sometimes the simplest things can make working with code next to impossible.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Working without the source code can be difficult for the PMBR. iirc, all they have at their disposal is ASM coding. One can only imagine how hard it is to get something to work they way you want it to.

_Liquid_

Smash Cadet
No one but the PMBR knows for sure if every character will be released in 3.0, but I do recall hearing from some podcast about a month back that their goal was to release the rest of the roster.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Maybe they do intend to release the rest as soon as possible but I'm sensing some technical difficulties. Squirtle, Ivy, ZSS, and Diddy. Followed by metaknight. Totally understandable. However, From there you get Roy, followed by Mewtwo. 2 characters who technically weren't suppose to be in the game. Either the clone engine caused such hype in the PMBR that they it out prioritized putting in the characters everyone is expecting/waiting for. OR it was done because putting in Roy and Mewtwo is simply easier in some way then adding in the remaining characters.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Theyve been working on mewtwo and roy for quite some time, but that doesnt mean that other characters wont get included. Im betting that 2 out of the 5 remaining characters will get included in 3.0, at the most; Id choose that theyre maybe one of these: samus, yoshi, and olimar

Tesla_Coil

Smash Cadet
Call me crazy and overly optimistic, but I think all signs point to all 5 "missing" characters being available in the next release. Even though the PMBR showed Roy and Mewtwo first, I think this was a tactical decision to build up a lot of hype for the next version of P:M. I've also noticed that with all of the previous releases, the PMBR has stated the demo number (2.0, 2.5, 2.6, etc) in the preview trailers, but for the Roy and Mewtwo trailers, they are calling the next version Super Smash Bros Project M. I think this will be the first full release of Project M, no more demo status and no 3.0 nametag. Also, the PMBR has said that they aim to release all of the 5 Brawl characters not yet in the game, and I think they would have kept a bit more tight-lipped in this regard (which, historically they have been) if they weren't fairly certain they could get the job done. Anyway, I'm excited regardless, but if I were a betting man, I would bet on Samus, Yoshi, IC's, Olimar, and Kirby all coming back.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Call me crazy and overly optimistic, but I think all signs point to all 5 "missing" characters being available in the next release. Even though the PMBR showed Roy and Mewtwo first, I think this was a tactical decision to build up a lot of hype for the next version of P:M. I've also noticed that with all of the previous releases, the PMBR has stated the demo number (2.0, 2.5, 2.6, etc) in the preview trailers, but for the Roy and Mewtwo trailers, they are calling the next version Super Smash Bros Project M. I think this will be the first full release of Project M, no more demo status and no 3.0 nametag. Also, the PMBR has said that they aim to release all of the 5 Brawl characters not yet in the game, and I think they would have kept a bit more tight-lipped in this regard (which, historically they have been) if they weren't fairly certain they could get the job done. Anyway, I'm excited regardless, but if I were a betting man, I would bet on Samus, Yoshi, IC's, Olimar, and Kirby all coming back.

Honestly, I'd freak out if this happened. : D It'd feel like Christmas morning, or the day I first played Melee with my little brother (which was pretty close to Christmas, actually!)

MLGF

Smash Lord
They did say on a stream interview that they found the physics problem with samus, so the optimist in me says that she'll be in.
Although honestly, I want to see what they'll do with Yoshi more.

MVP

Smash Ace
they've been building hype for 3.0 since 2.0. So i wouldn't be surprised if there was some "hidden" gems if you know what i mean ;)

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
They did say on a stream interview that they found the physics problem with samus, so the optimist in me says that she'll be in.
Although honestly, I want to see what they'll do with Yoshi more.

Yeah, I'm so excited to see what they added to Yoshi. There's so many different directions that character could go!

Negalith

Smash Cadet
Yeah, but soon enough! Can't wait to throw pikmin at people and have the others in the fray as well. Samus has been a long time coming.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
I was watching one of JCesar's streams and swear I heard Samus sound effects coming from a TV or Computer off screen, so I'm almost positive she is being added.
If I remember right, the team is shooting for everyone being added this time around, but if they can't be all added by Winter 2013, they would be added at a later date, similar to say how Meta Knight was part of 2.6.

Vashimus

Smash Master
I was watching one of JCesar's streams and swear I heard Samus sound effects coming from a TV or Computer off screen, so I'm almost positive she is being added.
If I remember right, the team is shooting for everyone being added this time around, but if they can't be all added by Winter 2013, they would be added at a later date, similar to say how Meta Knight was part of 2.6.
The PMBR have dev versions of the game with the unfinished characters. JCaes or some guy could've been ****ing around with Samus, but she could very well still have tons of problems. We'll never know.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703

Ohhh, is that why they did the 2.6 update? Meta was supposed to be in 2.5 and wasn't ready yet?

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
Just put in olimar and be done with it, we dont need cancer like yoshi or kirby

crabsmack

Smash Cadet
Although I'm personally most looking forward to Olimar, I just want them to add Samus because of how big of a sticking point she is for some people. I know it's dumb, but I've noticed all of my friends who play Samus/like Metroid are SIGNIFICANTLY less hyped about PM than everyone else. And I mean, I can understand to some degree. If my favorite character were gone it'd make me a lot less excited. But yeah, I've talked to far too many people who lose all interest once they learn PM is missing Samus. People miss Kirby, Olimar, and IC's too (a few even miss Yoshi), but Samus is much more popular than any of them.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
I just want to be able to play Samus again. I'm also really curious to see what the PMBR will do with Yoshi and Olimar.

Still, even if we do just get Roy and Mewtwo and some balance tweaks in 3.0 I'll be pretty happy.

Sumodude-S51

Smash Cadet
I play Project M even though absolutely none of my old mains are in the game yet. ICs, Yoshi, Kirby and Olimar were my favorite and best characters in Melee, 64 and Brawl.

The fact that I consider Project M to be the best Smash in the series despite not yet having my favorite characters is a testament to how awesome it really is...

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Maybe they do intend to release the rest as soon as possible but I'm sensing some technical difficulties. Squirtle, Ivy, ZSS, and Diddy. Followed by metaknight. Totally understandable. However, From there you get Roy, followed by Mewtwo. 2 characters who technically weren't suppose to be in the game. Either the clone engine caused such hype in the PMBR that they it out prioritized putting in the characters everyone is expecting/waiting for. OR it was done because putting in Roy and Mewtwo is simply easier in some way then adding in the remaining characters.
The PMBR isn't a single entity. Different members work on different things, and the ones working on Roy, Mewtwo, and the Clone Engine just happened to get their jobs done first. That's my understanding.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Yeah, I think every missing character at this point has some immense technical issue that the team is working to overcome. Even Yoshi - I think the fact that his shield was written differently has been giving them a big headache, surprising as that may sound.

It's amazing how sometimes the simplest things can make working with code next to impossible.
I think there is definitely a balance issue around. Yoshi, whose shield is differently, might need to be balanced. And Ice Climbers may need to have their chain grabbed tweaked. I speculate Olimar or Samus MAY have some chance of being released in the next demo at least, due to Samus needing to be buffed to her Melee counterpart and more, and Olimar might see a few differences in his strat. Kirby would definitely be last. Coding all those hats and clone hats... :o

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
IIRC they have PM and Melee at their smashfests, so that was probably just melee samus you heard.

Brawl and Melee have pretty different sounding sound effects, I used to use samus quite a bit in melee and brawl, and it sounds quite a bit different in brawl. Besides, they were using the bomb waaaaay to much for it to just be something like a friendlies match, it must of been testing purposes.

UberAndrew

Smash Cadet
From what I've heard they plan to have all vets, Roy and MarthMewtwo be playable in 3.0, but there's no way of knowing for sure. They could already have everything done or close to done and are just finishing the last little touches or they could be having horrible technical issues that will take a long time to fix.
The PMBR is composed of multiple people working on different things at different speeds, so only time will tell.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I'm honestly really hyped for Yoshi. I think, out of all of the characters in Smash history, Yoshi has been the one that has been crapped on the most in terms of knockback and recovery. I'm really interested to see what magic the PMBR can bestow upon the green dino that will make him as viable as everyone else in PM.

Top Bottom