• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anti Zelda/Sheik/Palutena 3DS trick

SaikyoBro

The One Who Knocks
NNID
SaikyoBro
Tap their portrait on the bottom screen, it shows you where their teleport is going to go before the characters themselves reappear. Makes it easy to counter or position yourself for a good attack, has actually led to some good kills for me a few times. Me and some friends have started using this and it's more helpful than it sounds. Hope this helps.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I use this feature pretty frequently. It's handy for gettin those "reads", if you can even call them that with this feature.

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
brb gotta tap my lower screen.

Small thing, pretty simple, but its so simple many of us missed it. Nice find.

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
"feature"? More like "developer oversight". You're not gonna be able to pull this stunt off on Wii U.
Well, unless you use the gamepad (if TOs would even allow it).

lol now I want to be that one guy carrying around his Gamepad to tourneys.

Spirst

Wooooow. I have no words for this. Very funny.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
"feature"? More like "developer oversight". You're not gonna be able to pull this stunt off on Wii U.
An oversight is something that isn't functioning as intended. It's functioning as intended; it's giving you a visual representation of where that character is. It's just working in situations where arguably it should not be. Hey if it's available to use, why not? Sheik players are scumbags for the most part online anyways (no offense to the non-scumbag ones). You wanna spam needles from the ledge? Then I'm going to use every feature I'm given to win.

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
Pretty sure the feature was stated in a Pic of the Day to be 3DS exclusive.
Maybe it is. I'd have to do some research on it to know for sure, but I don't really care to. The gamepad is insanely clunky for smash. GCN all the way, or Pro Controller I guess if you like that layout more. (Personally I get insane hand cramps on the 3DS and gamepad. The Pro is better with it, but the GCN gives me none at all)

It would make sense given the smaller screen though, and that the cursor shows up on your screen only on the 3DS. The character outline too.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
An oversight is something that isn't functioning as intended. It's functioning as intended; it's giving you a visual representation of where that character is. It's just working in situations where arguably it should not be. Hey if it's available to use, why not? Sheik players are scumbags for the most part online anyways (no offense to the non-scumbag ones). You wanna spam needles from the ledge? Then I'm going to use every feature I'm given to win.
No, something not working as intended is a "glitch". This is an oversight in the literal sense of the word: it's working when it shouldn't. The developers overlooked the fact that this could be used to see characters who are invisible due to things like teleports.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
No, something not working as intended is a "glitch". This is an oversight in the literal sense of the word: it's working when it shouldn't. The developers overlooked the fact that this could be used to see characters who are invisible due to things like teleports.
Who said that it wasn't meant to work this way? Unless they deliberately say it wasn't meant to work this way, then its simply doing its programmed job. This is gonna sound like crazy BS and it is, but who's to say this wasn't factored into the balance of the teleporting characters in conjunction with 3DS controls? No one can say but the developers. To top it off, it's just the 3DS version and it's not that big of a deal since 90 percent of the time you'll be sweetspotting the ledges with these moves and you can see everyone else's recoveries.

TLDR: It's not a big deal, no reason to be upset.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I've been doing this for the past week or so, lol. It's really fun when people don't expect it.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Tap their portrait on the bottom screen, it shows you where their teleport is going to go before the characters themselves reappear. Makes it easy to counter or position yourself for a good attack, has actually led to some good kills for me a few times. Me and some friends have started using this and it's more helpful than it sounds. Hope this helps.
ALL OF MY HATE!

Why did you have to make this public knowledge again ;_;

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Knowing my self, I'll probably still miss the hit. :(

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
I've been having trouble with dealing with Zelda's upB so this definitely comes in handy.

Can really appreciate oversights like these. Been working on a game these last weeks for school and tons of random oversights like these happen all the time during development. Really hard to find all applications for something when you don't know what you're looking for in the first place.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is exactly how I would define an "oversight" as opposed to a "glitch." If time is taken to make the player icon indicators invisible during these teleport moves but not that targeting box, I'd say you have an oversight.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
This is exactly how I would define an "oversight" as opposed to a "glitch." If time is taken to make the player icon indicators invisible during these teleport moves but not that targeting box, I'd say you have an oversight.
That's a fair point, I hadn't considered the player icons. I had forgotten that they disappeared in the time frame. Under those circumstances then I will concede that point. It's not gonna stop me or other from using it though. Especially when Sheik is one of the culprits of campy behavior that is sometimes seen due to the stage layout online.

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
Eh I wouldn't use it solely for the fact that it won't transfer to the Wii U.

Getting an over reliance on this could be potentially bad, even with how minor this is.

I'm curious to see how it works with the 3DS as a controller though.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I've been doing this the entire time. Not sure what's with the reactions.

3DS screen is small and stage camera zooms aren't consistent/placed well for people without god-tier vision. Many FD versions you cannot see shadows or tell the difference between spot dodges/rolls or whatever without it.

You're a fool for not using it, really. And it won't be the same issue on the WiiU version where animations and effects will contrast more with the environment.

You won't ever convince me stuff like playing Cyan G&W on Lylat Cruise in Brawl isn't anything but obnoxious/ACTUAL DEVELOPER OVERSIGHT rather than a real 'thing' (As a TO I've told people to switc

(Note how G&W this game has proper outlines so this is no longer an issue)

Stuff like Palutena/Rosalina with their invisible dodges still have particle effects that follow them. As well as NAME TAGS above their heads or "PX".

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Oh god its so simple. Actually now that I think about it this kinda happened in Melee with the name tags. When Sheik vanishes the name tag travels her path. Looks really odd actually.

Arcade

Smash Ace
I'm fairly sure name tags would follow teleporting players in Melee and Brawl too. I find it hard to believe the dev team isn't aware of it by now.

andimidna

Smash Master
And there goes Palutena's mindgames...
Bye...

I wonder if the Wii U Gamepad will function like the bottom 3ds screen, being able to do this.
It was made supposedly because the 3ds screen is small, so maybe not.
If it doesn't then having separate tiers for Wii U and 3ds just got a lot more likely

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
I'd rather not use this

When Wii U comes out I'd feel lost. Would rather practice reading my opponent

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
*shrugs* Most of the time it's fairly clear where they're going to be teleporting anyway. Especially with Zelda.

JediLink

Smash Ace
I don't see this being that useful because you already know that they're always going to go straight for the ledge. I mean, there's really no reason not to in this games.

Top Bottom