• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anti-Projectile Technique: Blizzard Toss

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I was wondering how the hell you're supposed to beat a Falco that camps with lasers, and then started extending that thinking to other characters with projectiles, and came up with this. I think it's fun, and it's been getting me a lot of openings since I started using it. It works best against characters who stay on the ground when they use their projectiles.

Anyhow, all you have to do is do a dashing short hop blizzard straight into the enemy projectile. Assuming it's one with low knockback, like a pill, a laser, a mini-shadowball, a thunder jolt, a fireball, or--God forbid--an ice-block, you absorb the projectile and stop in place while Nana keeps going with her blizzard. Because the projectile has low knockback and you land on the ground right away, you can wavedash in to follow up the blizzard. I think this might even work at low percents on a Samus missile, or a Peach's turnip. If you can get them netted in a blizzard, you might get a hit or grab in.

If anybody is willing to give this a shot in their next friendly or whatever, then please let me know how it turns out. I'll be sure to try it in my free time as well.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
I really like the idea, but I'm 100% sure how well it'd work against most projectiles.

(I was going to type out how i felt about each projectile you'd face but this class is almost over....so maybe i'll do it sometime tonight or something)

but basically, with someone like falco i'm not sure how well it'd work because of how contant the laser spam can be. he could effectiviely inturrupt nana and popo before the blizzard hits. and overall, being close enough to do this and the opponenet still using their projectile doesnt seem all that likely.

i will say right now, without have tried it that maybe it can be done/be useful but i feel like there won't be a lot of situations you can effectiviely pull this off in.

I'll be back on this afternoon/tonight. I'll see what others have said, check it out for myself a little and comment on how i feel it'd work against each specific projectile.

but uh, yea....that's all i got for now. and regardless of how it seems to me now, could be a potentially solid find

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
It's a little dangerous. It basically nearly has the same risks as a Nanapult, which already has limited uses, except this time Popo is a little closer (which can be good) and has a little more damage (which is bad.) Also easier to do than a Nanapult. I wouldn't recommend it against Samus because the missiles are pretty strong, but for the others...

turnip: Not too bad. Peach can't really dodge blizzards that quickly and I guess if she takes the blizzard then she can't punish Nana too harshly.

falco laser: Um, he can combo Nana into oblivion if you try this. Because the blizzard's knockback is a little low, he can CC shine or fsmash or whatever. A little too dangerous for my tastes.

Mario/Doc: Works fine here. Doc can probably throw in a fair if you miss which would be deadly but they aren't TOO fast so it should be pretty safe. But ONLY if they're spamming.

Pikachu/Pichu: Lol who spams with them?

Shadow Ball: Yeah sure, if you want. You should be ****** Mewtwo anyway. If you're playing Taj and he's spamming? Well, you're Wobbles and he's Taj. So I guess I can't help you there (never played mewtwos who are that good.)

Binx

Smash Master
Sounds like it could be very effective against Falco, if you predict when he starts his jump and do it the blizzard should be able to hit before he can CC it easily, also you can just stand outside of his fsmash range and charge one of your own if you believe they will take that route. As for samus I could see it against a weak missile, as far as strong ones I like to just counter those with an ice block, safer and just as effective IMO. Peach I can see it working against although she could also CC and act before a grab, but once again you can predict and punish and in some cases I am sure you could get a grab out of the blizzard. For sure I will try this out, I did it on accident yesterday and nana missed and I was able to cover her pretty well (this was a match against a Falco)

And just because I dont want to make a thread: I was playing against my friend's Marth yesterday and I really favor dash dance blizzards, however he has learned to keep his distance when I am dash dancing and therefor he usually gets away during the starting frames of the attack and then I am desynched and Nana is being fair comboed to death. However yesterday I was "randomly" dash attacking where I would normally want to blizzard, this was leading into some really huge combos, the range of the dash attack is too good. So for people have as much trouble in that match up as I am and the person doesnt fall for blizzards anymore you have just created a nice guessing game for him if he is wrong he will be punished severely.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
alright, the one issue i have (mostly with the falco matchup for this) i dont think you have time in between his short hopped lasers to do this effectively, and i'm under the impression you need to be fairly close to do this, but if you are, i'd like to believe they'd stop spamming and go on the offensive which throws this out the window.

just a thought

Binx

Smash Master
Blizzard doesnt block almost any projectiles, you are planning on being hit when you do this but hitting them harder.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
choknater said:
Pikachu/Pichu: Lol who spams with them?
****er!

Anywho, this doesn't sound like it would work at all. Let's compare it with powershielding. Obviously harder (2 frame window) but think about it.

If done right, your opponent is defending themselves from the projectile either way, and you also close distance. However your idea gives you damage and creates a detrimental desynch -- a defensive one. Powershielding gives a positive desynch (P-ice block, N...???) and sends at least one projectile back with the possiblity of more. Even worse would be if Nana doesn't leave the leash - then she would just SH Blizzard, almost in place! WTF?!?

Even jumping over and shooting blocks is more effective than this - especially if Nana stays leashed. The best use I see for this is if you're nearly in Blizzard range - N-Blizzard with almost no desynch lag and Popo would be free to punish if the Blizzard hits. But at long range, powershield desynch into ice block spam.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Not much love for this one, I guess.

Oh well, my job is just to find weird ideas to try and solve problems that probably annoy the hell out of other IC's. It's just a pity they don't always work.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Rob are you going to SCC?

Also, I'm not sure the powershield desynch to P-block/Nanapulted Blizzard will work so well either.

But seriously this is the first idea you've had that I didn't think was good. lol

Negative Zero

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I see use in this. It's far easier than powershielding, and it has a better payoff, in my opinion. If you powershield, let's say, Falco's laser. He gets hit with his laser, and that's it. With this, you get hit with the laser, but Nana's blizzard keeps Falco busy while you get a free grab or a free fsmash. True, it's a negative desynch, but you get a free fsmash or a grab combo. (Grab, uthrow, dash attack, grab, and then something out of that) A desynch is nice and all, but isn't the raw payoff what you want?

Binx

Smash Master
I tried it yesterday against my friends Falco, it worked pretty well i'd say. Although you need to start before he shoots, but it does work at medium distances, you dont have to be close.

Top Bottom