• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Open Letter

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
There’s a legend in New York. Not long after PC Chris picked up a MLG victory, he wanted to expand a bit on other games he played. He went to SRK to learn a few things here and there. Someone recognized his username, and inquired as to his identity. He confirmed that he was in fact PC Chris and was met with a reply of “Oh, ready to play a game without training wheels?”

What's holding us back from more interactions like this?

I'm no scientist, but I'm willing to say that it is a fact that people are passionate about the games they play. You’re aware of this, you’re on SmashBoards because you care very deeply for at least one Smash title. You’ve probably heard that type of reaction about the game you play: you are playing the wrong game, you’re not playing a game at all, you need to play a real game, this game is dead, this game is old and decrepit, it hasn’t earned its place, it's the same 2 characters, so on and so forth. However, too often it comes from the mouths of people playing the same series.

It’s something that too many of us still miss the point on. I can look on Facebook, or Twitter, or Reddit and see that the seeds from 2008 still hold root. I see a lot of people who take pride in what they play, and too often than not it becomes a boisterous cacophony of hate toward other games or the people that play them. I say this as someone who has been on both sides of it, someone who received a diatribe or two for sticking with a “dead game” and someone who lashed out in anger.

Is there a true Smash community? No. I guarantee that even if everyone came together for one title, people would mostly stick with the groups and cliques they know. Yet, when each of them bands together for something great, amazing stuff happens. A lot of people will think of a just a select few individuals driving EVO 2013, but not many give credit to members of the other Smash sub-groups that helped get to that point with donations or spreading awareness. There's a Facebook group for Smash Commentators, and people are getting advice and critiques from various commentators; conversations involving Coontail, Keitaro, Gunblade, TKBreezy, Wife, Pierce, D1 and a host of others.

Is there a possibility for one? I believe so, but it is going to be the hardest task that the community could ever undertake. Even with tournaments that have multiple games present, most people don't interact with others outside of their scenes, whether by game or by region. I can think of a few people who I saw weekly for Smash that now I only now see on Facebook. Friends from Long Island or Philadelphia, that drifted apart because of "picking sides" in an inane rivalry. We should still have a great bond like we used to, but instead this disconnect is still here and we're relegated to likes, comments and retweets instead of Smashfests until 4 AM and Qdoba or Wings Over Farmingdale.

A lot of people right now are probably laughing to themselves and saying, “Well duh.” I can’t blame them, the hate has been spewed everywhere from AIM chatrooms to these very boards. Hell, I said words in the “Smash Brothers” I wish I could take back or rephrase.

Even more people are going to question where these words were six years ago. I assure you no one would listen to me six years ago, and even if people would, I doubt the message would be the same. However, we’ve all gotten older, I can only hope that we’ve learned from the past. I hope that we’ve also learned from each other. Blood is on everyone’s hands. It may not be on yours as a person, but there are certainly members in your local scene, well respected people that are still shoving salt in the wounds. Some people are fine clawing things apart even more.

People are going to play what they enjoy. No one has the right to tell them that is wrong, that they are wasting their time and their efforts. A pianist won’t scoff at an oboe player. Everyone is working to improve or master their craft. All I ask is that you respect others, their grind, and their decision to play what they like. This is 2014, and for many people it’ll be a second chance. Another opportunity to rightfully receive the admiration they deserve for their efforts, or an opportunity to let people live and abstain from the foolish things they said not too long ago. If it’s your first chance, be wiser than we were, do what you can to halt the cycle.

I’ve been looking at what people from various scenes are saying. A lot note the toxicity, because in this modern era, everyone has a voice. And well, the voices are strong. Imagine all of the hours you’ve put into your favorite game, making it to the top of the mountain, and no one recognizing you or validating you for it. You keep striving and keep attempting, but you can’t even bring yourself to play it anymore. It’s happened in this scene. Multiple times.

This is a point where at a time when we should be talking about crossbreeding and bringing scenes together to continue driving numbers, and increase interest in Smash. Instead, we’re seeing people plead for segregating events so people don’t have to play a tournament match and have people disrespect them and the effort they’ve put from just a few feet away. Does anyone want to be associated with this type of community? You are already, by virtue of being a Smasher. You don’t get to pick and choose the good and the bad, it is all attached to you.

There are people who are multiple game threats who remark on the aura of the different games when they are present at the same tournament. A lot of it comes down to bashing someone’s game of choice in earshot of the players, or about how much vitriol a community can hold for years. Some of this hate is active, never ceasing, which forces a reactive hate as a response. It happens in person at events, everyone remembers Nairo getting less than a minute to enjoy his win eight months ago. It happens in stream chats, the emotes change from game to game.

You are going to like certain games, you aren’t going to like other ones. I'm pretty sure I'm not excited for Barbie Dreamhouse Party (but who knows, I may end up playing it anyway). If you love your game(s), go for it, invest your time, efforts and dedicate yourself to improving both as a person as well as improving that scene(s). Reach out to people in other scenes, let them know what you are doing so they can follow your example and apply it to what they care about, because we can all learn from one another. But please, don’t detract from people who are doing the same thing as you under a different banner. If you have negative opinions, take that energy and instead of ranting and raving, do something else to benefit what you care about; I didn’t think about it back then, and I have certainly hurt my fair share of people unintentionally.

Look at people who are driving on the same highway as you, just not in the same lane. Don’t try and run them off the road, we’ve seen too many casualties already.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Preach it! I went ahead and wrote my own view on this dilemma in the case that I felt as though you missed something, but you've certainly explained it down to the wire.

(if it matters any, I'll go ahead and link my own thoughts here: http://pastebin.com/Jc0x63uw )

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
That was a really great read. I love the message it gives.

Last edited:

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
Zero feasting on the meal of a champion! A well earned dinner.

Maybe I should read the letter before I assume this whole post is about food...

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I get the message and completely agree, but I got the message after the first two paragraphs...

I'm glad I play all four games. I'll never be bashing anyone else's love of Smash because I love them all.

slicesabre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-2933-2738
The hate will end when the other side realizes they're wrong.

This is the stance most people have and it will not change. Props for the words of wisdom though.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
A great message, Prog. I can definitely relate. Though I do wonder what these words are you want to take out and rephrase in the Smash Brothers documentary.

Last edited:

chipz

Smash Apprentice
I like how the first replies are bronies
you did the friendship is magic summoning or something

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Is this a rough draft for a My Little Ponyta episode centered around tolerating other+same games and their users?

Oh ok:077:

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
As Smash 4 is upon us this editorial couldn't have come at a more appropriate time. Some will flock to 4 and stay there. Others will flock to 4, but end up going back Melee/PM and that is fine. What's not fine is either community taking a dump in the others Frosted Flakes. This seems to be more prevalent in the Melee/PM community than the other way around. You don't like 4? Fine, its whatever and we certainly won't miss seeing you around in our own community.

However, I've seen some people in the 3DS/Wii U boards pounce on some of 4's detractors and while I understand what its like to have some rather rude individuals **** on your game of choice, your verbal assaults don't make much of a difference if any. Likewise, to the ones who keep insulting 4 and to a lesser extent the fan base for said game, your petty childish insults are ultimately meaningless and as such should not be tolerated at all. All it takes is a few bad apples to ruin the whole bunch.

The last thing that is needed is another large schism in the community like the one happened early in the Brawl era. We can all do our part by minding each others business and ignoring the trolls/rude asses who contribute nothing but flame bait and drama to our game(s) of choice's boards and competitive scene.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
After reading this, I feel like I can expand into UMvC3 with a bit more confidence in continuing Smash. See you at the qualifiers, suckers/good friends!

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Good read prog, I personally wish it were like *dodges rock projectile* this so Smash can be viewed in a positive light, no matter what one plays.

JDavisR (NIX)

Smash Lord
NNID
Robertson1
3DS FC
2337-4618-3776
Funny how the article talking about all of us being friends to each other and what not have a bunch of warnings in the comments already lol

Great read though

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Hey, I'm from Jacksonville too, and I thought the article was very well done...:(

Please don't judge people based on geographical region...
Oh my bad. I didn't mean to come off as saying all Jax players are like that. I was saying that the time I spent at college there a majority of players I met had the same mentality as the person I was speaking with earlier. I enjoyed Jax a lot, and have made plenty of good friends who play smash there. No disrespect towards the region, just wasn't surprised that someone who commented like that was from there.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
...I've been wanting to create a future to where everyone's opinions on characters are respected equally. I've seen more than enough bullying, prejudice, and racism in a way towards a character, and the people who request them.

Let's put Krystal in Smash!

What? No, she's too sexualized, and represents the failing point of a franchise.

Let's bring Mewtwo back in Smash!

No, he's too powerful, and he was terrible in Melee. Lucario and Greninja are better than him in every way, and Dr. Mario's return should say enough that he's not deserving. (still think so, now?)

Let's put Ridley in Sma--

OH MY GOD, NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! Why the hell does everyone want him so badly?! Too big, plain and simple; you idiots never get that! He shouldn't even be eligible in voting matches! Ridley has never been playable for a reason, and should stay that way. When are you just gonna accept the facts, give up, AND STAY THE **** DOWN?!

It really pains me to see this stuff go without justice. Everyone's entitled to their opinion...but it shouldn't be like this. You shouldn't have to feel ashamed of which character you're supporting, for fear that someone will talk you down like you don't know any better. Heck, I'm lucky one of my favorites, Dark Pit, became playable because everyone did (and still do) talk me down like "Dark Pit's just a lame Pit clone; He really should be just a skin for him. Y u do this, biased Sakurai?!"

I'm hoping to make a future where that hate really can turned into civil opinions. I feel we must treat almost every character request as if they each have an equal chance, even if they may not in reality; Nintendo characters (including Ridley) automatically fall into that. I should've seen this with Mega Man's inclusion, but It wasn't until Pac-Man's inclusion that got me to really open my mind, and convince me that any character is possible if you make your voice heard.

It was because of the Ridley feud that got me thinking about the future of Smash fan requests, and how we will deal with each other's opinion. If this ever becomes a real project/organization, I wish for Ridley to be the head mascot for it; he's one of the most requested, but he and his fans have always gotten the cold shoulder with negative words, stereotyping, and bullying. The hate against him and his fans are the best example on how this community should not be like, which is why I'd make Ridley, along with Isaac, Mewtwo, and Pac-Man (he did get lots of backlash before confirmed), the mascots of this project.

Smash depends on the voices of fans for new characters, and we can't get the best of the best if their fans are being discouraged into being silent because of what someone says.

...Great...I didn't plan a concluding sentence... But anyways, I hope you get my picture.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I sware there are like 3 quotes not only helping with smash, but with life in a way. Whoever wrote this "open letter" should be damn proud of this.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Oh my bad. I didn't mean to come off as saying all Jax players are like that. I was saying that the time I spent at college there a majority of players I met had the same mentality as the person I was speaking with earlier. I enjoyed Jax a lot, and have made plenty of good friends who play smash there. No disrespect towards the region, just wasn't surprised that someone who commented like that was from there.
It's cool.:) I know how some isolated incidences can spoil one's picture of a place... kind of like when you get a bad meal at a restaurant you used to like and it just ruins it for you after.

It happens. But hopefully I've improved the rep of my hometown somewhat... honestly, as someone who lives here, I can say it doesn't need any more bad press.:p

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
It's cool.:) I know how some isolated incidences can spoil one's picture of a place... kind of like when you get a bad meal at a restaurant you used to like and it just ruins it for you after.

It happens. But hopefully I've improved the rep of my hometown somewhat... honestly, as someone who lives here, I can say it doesn't need any more bad press.:p
All good lol. I like to play with people in Jax when I'm there. I'm just all to familiar with the BS that occurs within the community.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
Good letter Prog :). The sad thing is it really is a vocal minority that ruins the Smash community coming together as a whole. I mostly play Brawl and I'll admit that these people have diminished my opinion on both the Melee community and the game as a whole when it isn't fair to the other 95% of the community.

I think the best thing to do is if people are just being jerks about the "Smash Wars" are to ignore them and move on. If no one got worked up about it, then they would eventually stop.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
I like them all but melee is the most technical. That's why its stood the test of time.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
One thing I would disagree with is that there isn't a smash community. We all fight and get angry at each other but we're still family. We are one body. Brawl, 64, 4, melee- everyone. We can argue, but hate is not part of the equation. We need to sort that out.

Slushi Simcabi

Smash Cadet
That was nice.

But the internet breeds rage and sorrow. These fields are too salted by the tears of the fallen.

Let us go and create our own place to exist together....
LET US CREATE THE OUTERNET

Top Bottom