• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Open Letter

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Theres only drama on smashboards and facebook. Real tournaments and real life everyone gets a long fine. This is a little over dramatic for a non issue.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
First off, you should re read both the OP and my post.

Majority of Smash players take the game too seriously. Whether be a tournament match or an exhibition match, there are always the same reactions. When the events end, I see most people beat themselves up because they lost rather than be leaving happy because they had a good time.

I was recently at an actual "friendly social gathering." It was no different than a tournament. I thought this would be great, I could meet new people since it was a local event and exchange friend codes so we could play Smash 4 when it comes out. But no, that didn't happen. As soon as I beat one person, his buddy came right up to him and started giving him tips on how to beat me. He was getting coached like at an actual tournament. The mindset of most people is that they are only here to win and that's all. I looked around and the room was silent. Everyone was seated at a set up and all their attention was focused onto the screen. There was no talking, no socializing. And at the end, people left with a simple "bye." No smiles, no handshakes, no name exchanging, no nothing. It was like I was at some awkward wake.

If this isn't a tournament and just a gathering, what's the point of not being social? I don't think it's too farfetched to make some actual friends from these things. After all that's what makes a community right?

Again my point being is that no matter at what event, Smashers are at each others throats, too focused on winning than having fun at a game.

I respect Smash competitiveness, but would it really kill someone to have some setups for a time free for all matches with items on? No, I'm not trying to troll, but it could lighten the mood.

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I just don't like people being fake acting like they like each other when they really don't. There has been more melee hate than smash 4 hate people are scared to criticize it like leffen said.
No one said they have to like them, they just have to not be ***** about their preferences and let other people like what they like. The key isn't to say something they don't mean, it's to keep their mouths shut to begin with. No one in a "hooray for Duck Hunt's inclusion" thread wants to hear people hating on Duck Hunt's inclusion. That's like going to a party just so you can steal all the beer and break the plumbing.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
I don't get why people can't respect people preferences. I love all of the smash brother entries because the franchise itself is a great game. Do I have a favorite? I don't know because I can pick up anyone of them and have a good time playing them. Hell even trying to play them competitively, there is some depth to be found in all of them and that's what keeps me coming back for more. I don't understand how there is a divide when its the same franchise, yea they may have different mechanics but you are still loving the same game and that's Smash Brothers.

Signia

Smash Lord
There was no talking, no socializing. And at the end, people left with a simple "bye." No smiles, no handshakes, no name exchanging, no nothing. It was like I was at some awkward wake.
Hmm yeah that'd do it. I think we should be able tolerate a few of those kind of players, but if everyone is like that, I can understand being turned off to the whole group. Sometimes it's shyness, sometimes its because for whatever reason they don't think some people aren't worth investing anything in. Maybe try being proactive about it. I used to have the attitude that if someone is exceedingly bad, and says nothing to anyone, it seems like they're not committed and might not return. It can be weird telling some green player tips when they might not want them or care or that they need to practice up if they want to stand any chance especially if they don't indicate that they're open to that -- and there isn't much else to talk about if you don't know them. A younger socially awkward me would never bother getting to know someone like that who I might never see again. Just saying, that might be what's going through their heads, though perhaps subconsciously. And a lot of it is on you to be friendly first if you want awkward gamers to open up.

If this isn't a tournament and just a gathering, what's the point of not being social? I don't think it's too farfetched to make some actual friends from these things. After all that's what makes a community right?
That's pretty bad if they act that way in a non-tournament setting. Some players are really serious about getting better, though. Many play for years and get really sick of losing. Always serious all the time though is a bit much. I never see that in California so idk what to tell you. I'm probably the most sullen and serious player I know and I don't behave that way at smashfests. Most people are pretty laid back over here.

I respect Smash competitiveness, but would it really kill someone to have some setups for a time free for all matches with items on? No, I'm not trying to troll, but it could lighten the mood.
A lot of players, myself included, find that flat out not fun. Especially time mode, jeez man I couldn't tolerate that even as kid once I discovered stock mode.

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
This was a nice read and something every Smasher should take into consideration.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
+1

This is a huge problem in the Smasher community, and I'll never understand why. It doesn't take a lick of effort to treat your fellows with some respect.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Solution: Vocal minorities should see spouting the crap the usually do as (literal) suicide from how badly they'll be living out "all of the other reindeer".
Not nice, but it works.

/bias

Pabmyster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pabmyster
As long as there are men on this Earth, there will be conflicts.

One could only hope for a world such as the one described above, in any sense.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
TL;DR:
Respect thy neighbors. Let's stick together as a whole smash community in general since we are more mature now. Stick to your guns (or game i this case) and don't hate on other's gaming preferences.

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
I appreciate the sentiment prog, but people naturally pick sides. It's human nature. Along with the fact anonymity brings out the worst in people, my advice would be to just play the game (or games) you enjoy and ignore the whiners and hate mongers. Same goes for how you play it, be it competitively or casually.

As long as you're having fun, that's all that matters.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
This post is like when a bully punches someone in the face and both kids receive a stern talking to and then a suspension.

The Melee community was straight-up awful to Brawl and Brawl players. It's in the past and it's over but let's not pretend there was mudslinging both ways, please.

Last edited:

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
I was one of those players who put a lot of time into smash and became pretty decent. When brawl came out it supplanted melee. So what little local scene for melee was washed away mostly due to brawl's new popularity.

After toiling and struggling in that game for years I finally gave up smash altogether. The people didn't force me out with hate or anything like that. I had just realized that I dedicated so much time to a game that was DESIGNED to have a low ceiling for skill. Your efforts end up yielding greatly diminished rewards.

It's like somebody who's been practicing dice rolling. You don't get BETTER at it, you're just gambling.

I believe scenes are driven by their hardcore center. If the core of a scene is not interesting, then everybody outside that core is going to be THAT much more boring.

I don't just play smash to be social. I want a medium that can fully display my own personal brilliance if I put the time in to develop that kind of articulation. The fight is an expression, but how well can you express yourself when you're only allowed to use the vocabulary of a child?

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
I appreciate the sentiment prog, but people naturally pick sides. It's human nature. Along with the fact anonymity brings out the worst in people, my advice would be to just play the game (or games) you enjoy and ignore the whiners and hate mongers. Same goes for how you play it, be it competitively or casually.

As long as you're having fun, that's all that matters.
Anonymity brings out the truth. When people are in person they hold their tongue and don't speak their mind in order to manage their relationships. It's in self interest. This IS who we are with no restrictions.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I dunno what people mean by "1 unit" stuff, but whatever it is, it's no excuse to go about being a negative nancy where negative nancies aren't welcome.

But hey, that's just going to start a paradox, so I'll shut up before my brain explodes from thinking too hard about it.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I was one of those players who put a lot of time into smash and became pretty decent. When brawl came out it supplanted melee. So what little local scene for melee was washed away mostly due to brawl's new popularity.

After toiling and struggling in that game for years I finally gave up smash altogether. The people didn't force me out with hate or anything like that. I had just realized that I dedicated so much time to a game that was DESIGNED to have a low ceiling for skill. Your efforts end up yielding greatly diminished rewards.

It's like somebody who's been practicing dice rolling. You don't get BETTER at it, you're just gambling.

I believe scenes are driven by their hardcore center. If the core of a scene is not interesting, then everybody outside that core is going to be THAT much more boring.

I don't just play smash to be social. I want a medium that can fully display my own personal brilliance if I put the time in to develop that kind of articulation. The fight is an expression, but how well can you express yourself when you're only allowed to use the vocabulary of a child?
"Blah blah blah, I don't understand brawl very well "

All i read

Top Bottom