• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An interesting discovery about High Gravity mode

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Zant3tsuken:

I never said MvC2 isn't competitive, merely that Third Strike has more depth. Also, I've been to a few DoA tournaments, and they seem pretty **** competitive, regardless of whether EVO includes them or not.

All of your other points I agree with. I wasn't thinking straight when I was talking about Third Strike characters (I actually completely forgot about Yun).

payasofobia

Smash Champion
i want to ask, what will happen to the characters whose recovery becomes utterly nerfed because of high gravity? isnt there a way to get past this problem?
just asking
and hello im new to this board

High Gravity mode can never become the standard for competitive play.

Unless, of course, you mean "for characters with good recovery".

Brawl was changed to balance it so heavy characters aren't at a disadvantage. High Gravity mode hurts people w/o good recover.

This is Brawl, not Melee.

SGX

Smash Journeyman
Sadly, too many characters, imo got screwed on recovery in High Gravity mode. I came to the conclusion that they probably didn't playtest this mode, because too many characters are unplayable.

It's a shame though, it could have been fun.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
what if... you people use the high gravity mode in special melee with the bunny hood.
then like that, you could make combos,have a quick gameplay, and characters jump ability wouldnt be affected.
what do you think?

Gymclass_Hero

Smash Cadet
That's awesome. I might play that mode alot then. Brawl is great and all, but "You must recover!" is more like, "You must jump once and rarely have to use your up-b!".

ROFLs

Smash Cadet
High Gravity doesn't sound like my cup of tea. I love flying through the air, that's where I excel. Doubt it becomes standard, people are probably going to adjust to Brawl.

Bunny Hood makes the character faster as well, remember.

Regardless, there is no "wait and see" situation. We've already shown that High Gravity mode is not feasible.

It doesn't matter that people can recover very well, ALL people can recover. High Gravity mode doesn't make it harder to recover, all it does is make it harder for others to recover. Characters with great recovery thrive. Basically, this is just an attempt to revert the tier list to favor light characters almost exclusively.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
i guess youre right
well i tried ...
but it hardly even matters,brawl will still be awesome,even tough it will be harder to have a competitive scene,but im pretty sure there will be a way to play that way, we just have to wait,and see...

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
high gravity mode blows sometimes cause if you fall off the stage you have to almost instantly recover depending on what character you're using.

edit/ Those who want high gravity mode for tournies: Stop *****ing. Stop trying to make the game more like melee, it's fun as it is

pirkid

Smash Lord
Hey.

Firstly, let them play with High Grav. all they want. I'll personally be playing with Heavy Metal Slow Light Curry Reflect Angled Brawl.

HOWEVER!
Do not assume that you can change the general gameplay of Brawl by always using a special mode. That's not how the game was meant to be played, and tournaments should not play it as such.

Feel free to play locally with High Grav all you want, but don't try and change the whole game.

Dark-Pikachu-0

Smash Rookie
Hey.

Firstly, let them play with High Grav. all they want. I'll personally be playing with Heavy Metal Slow Light Curry Reflect Angled Brawl.

HOWEVER!
Do not assume that you can change the general gameplay of Brawl by always using a special mode. That's not how the game was meant to be played, and tournaments should not play it as such.

Feel free to play locally with High Grav all you want, but don't try and change the whole game.
we shuld test em both. if most ppl agree that HG gameplay is better then it shall become tourny standard. casual guys will prolly stick to LG

HG looks funner than LG (i havent played it, but the few HG matches ive seen have entertained me more than most of the regular ones). That dosnt mean it'll necessarily become standard, but it demands attention.

shall everyone play however they like.

btw, im actually happy about this, from what Ive seen. faster gameplay, less button mashing, cuz theres no lcancel, no WD, and many of the old issues have been taken care of.

Dark-Pikachu-0

Smash Rookie
high gravity mode blows sometimes cause if you fall off the stage you have to almost instantly recover depending on what character you're using.

edit/ Those who want high gravity mode for tournies: Stop *****ing. Stop trying to make the game more like melee, it's fun as it is
if they like melee more, then so be it. it seems many of you object to this, but why? ur happy becuz in brawl its easier to reach the metagame, but no one seems to remember that even in HG its easier because of auto-lcancel and sweetspots. its way easier to reach the metagam now. HG just offers faster gamplay, wats wrong with that? and yes it will require faster fingers, but its much lighter than pro melee

the tourny guys will test both. w/e their decision is, neither of us wi'll have a word in it

lChaosl

Smash Cadet
Hey.

HOWEVER!

Why not change the game? If brawl was just a rock-paper-scissors game, but you wanted a fighting game and with certain options you could make it into a fighting game wouldn't you use those options? (don't look at r-p-s as an analogy, I just picked something that wasn't a fighting game) If the tournament community agrees that high gravity is better why shouldn't they play on high gravity?

Why play Brawl if you're not going to play it by the default way?

If you tell me that the only reason anyone wants this is because it's better, you'd be lying.

The reason is the balance. People complain about it being too floaty, but so what? It effects everyone or nobody, so nothing changes in that. High Gravity mode is only wanted because people hate that they can't knock Bowser out in one blow anymore. They basically want the laws of Smash to say "only Falco, Fox, Sheik, and Marth are good!".

If their reasons for wanting HGM were legitimate and not just bitter tears, I wouldn't care. But since it is bitter tears, I applaud the idea of HGM never ever becoming the standard. If you want Melee, here's an idea - PLAY MELEE. Don't try to erase what Brawl is. There is no way that the tournament community would completely accept this, so the most obvious thing to say is "no". You would need a huge consensus, and there's no way it could be established that the real engine would take second tier to a bonus engine.

EM48

Smash Rookie
Thats a ridiculous argument Snitch, the "default" mode is with items on, so the exact same thing you said could be applied with items instead of HG. I find it hard to believe that you actually know that the game is more unbalanced in HG mode than normal, since the balance of normal mode is still unknown. In all honesty I'd rather have a more competitive game with 10 characters than a less skill based game with 40.

Edit: I don't think that HG will become standard, Snitch is still wrong.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
You realize that you're all idiots and no one will adopt Heavy Brawl as the competitive standard, right?

I mean, I'm not being mean here. I'm just being objective. Except maybe with the idiots part.

D-Hero

Smash Rookie
If you like Melee more play that, no one here is stopping you... but, I'll be playing Brawl in all its floaty glory...

No, it isn't. Item Switch exists to disable whatever items you like, including disabling all items. It's never presented as an "item engine" or anything like that. High Gravity is in Special Brawl, along with Curry Mode and Flower Mode. Like Curry and Flower mode, all it is is a different mode from the default mode, the mode Sakurai intended you to play in. The engine Sakurai intended you to play in.

The logic that floaty Brawl is more balanced is based on the fact that it is. Floaty Brawl means that more characters get more chances to win, not just the four lightest characters. However, it has been observed that the heavier characters get pulled down more in High Gravity Mode, so basically, all it does is nerf everyone, but in particular, nerf those heavy characters.

I do not lie or guess that it's less balanced in HGM. I just say "hey, you know what? This group of characters is hurt more than that group of characters." Failing to see my logic? Well, I pity you.

We all know that.

And at no point does "feeling like Melee" present an appropriate argument supporting its usage.

The only standard for competitive play is Brawl default mode, no items.

Plenty of people have.

The floatiness has effectively done plenty of balancing, and the fact of the matter is that people prefer it when they don't have to worry about "lesser characters".

kciD

Smash Journeyman
All I need to know is MLG ruling, and I doubt it would be in HG mode. What would be nice, though, is if there were two seperate brackets in each tournament...one for normal play and one for HG mode.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I'm going to play normal brawl unless something like this is implemented, because HG does look better to me.

Chimeiookami

Smash Cadet
Does not compute.

And also, you make yourself out to be one of those types that complain that edgeguarding is cheap and that we should fight with "honor".

Hopefully you can correct me on that.
Lol

Reminds me when I was young, playing SSB64, Could not get over being gimped on the ledge against Pikachu, I was playing Link...

Haha soooo silly ..... Playing with honor! (I used to think like that....)

Haha... (Can't stop laughing at my younger scrubbish self!!!)

There is something weird... Browsing Brawl vs Melee threads and I found out that a lot of pro-Melee complain about the simplicity of the game and how it is less deep and "babied".
But, a main argument of the pro-HG is that combo are easier. (Isn't that weird?)

I know Pro-HG and Pro-Melee isn't the samething. But a lot of people fall in both categories.

On my side... It hurts a lot to quit melee. Darn. I've been playing nearly everyday for years.
It saddens me each time I see a good vid of Melee.
But I'm so excited about Brawl.
A bit like when I finished highshcool, I sure regret friends and life I had there.
But all I could do is to look forward to the future...

arrowhead

Smash Ace
to you guys that say it's more balanced as is, nobody knows what the tiers are like right now. you you're all just lying. also, who cares about "more balanced". this game adopts a camping hit and run style because of the floatyness. HG mode makes it quicker paced and actually allows for more combos, which is way more fun to play as than the intended slow campy way.

I've given my reasons why it's more balanced.

Why is it you're allowed to dismiss them without ever countering them with an assertion of "lack of balance", and say "well, because the Smash community didn't make an official tiers list, we can't talk about balance!"

The only truth that can ever be stated is that heavy characters aren't at the disadvantage.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
a more balanced game does not mean it's more fun for competitive play. i'd rather have 5 usable tournament characters and a deep game than a shallow game where everyone is balanced

and besides, we don't know how balanced brawl is yet

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Count me out of high gravity tournaments, if one ever happened.

Can you imagine trying to glide, or even jump as high as they did in Melee in one?

Top Bottom