• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Amiibo General Thread - Complete Smash Bros. Set Now Avaliable!

How do you feel about Amiibos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm feeling somewhat optimistic. I learned my lesson about EB Games exclusive amiibos, so I'll be pre-ordering Ness once that shows up on the EB Games website, my local Toys R Us will be getting a decent amount of Greninja amiibos if Lucario is any indication (they're usually pretty good about getting amiibos in and having enough to go around), and I'm in Canada, so Jigglypuff isn't exclusive to Target (though if Rosalina's any indication, she'll probably be rare).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Goddamnit I checked right out of class and it was continually adding to cart

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In terms of build quality of these new figures so far:

Greninja, Jigglypuff, Dr. Mario, Bowser Jr, and Dark Pit look the best by far.
Ganondorf looks perfect from the neck down. His face looks weird though.
Olimar looks decent. Could be better but decent.
Palutena and ZSS honestly don't look all that great at all to me. If it weren't for trying to collect them all in the Smash line, I'd pass on them.

And the Splatoon Amiibo look great.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Goddamnit I checked right out of class and it was continually adding to cart
You got farther than I did. I can't help but wonder how some people got their preorders through and others simply cannot. I've definitely been clicking since the moment I saw the button turn orange, I was NOT too late. More like there were so many requests it prioritized some over others, and none of mine got the right response.

I tried logged in, logged out, in Chrome, in Firefox, in IE... nothing worked. This actually feels like standing in line only to have everyone else ushered in ahead of me. Why can't they have a queuing system?

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
High Quality images of all new Amiibo announced yesterday:

http://imgur.com/a/eGMKn

Also, European release dates:

Spalatoon Amiibo come out with Jigglypuff and Greninja too.

I can join that group if people want me to but I'm European so I don't know if my info would be as relevant.
They all look so good! Except Greninja, who looks kinda squished in. Palutena, Ganondorf, Doc, Olimar and Jr look like Grade SS amiibo. Also with Jr. I really like how his scarf looks like a cruddy crayon scribble. Great detail. Zamus its hard to tell cause that lighting angle makes it look like she doesnt have a nose or a mouth, and Dark Pit's pose is kinda boring, but considering how much detail and care went into Pit, he'll also probably look super nice.

I also really like how they got creative/smart with the Squid and used the Ink as a stand.

Last edited:

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
So all of wave 4 will be up for preorder today at 2, or just Ness?

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
So all of wave 4 will be up for preorder today at 2, or just Ness?
Rumor has it GS is releasing all 6 in a bundle. Not counting Jigglypuff or Greninja. Starting to hear rumblings that online might be delayed but 3 PM is still good for in-store, but that's word-of-mouth.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The cycle of amiibo
anxiety...despair....relief

There's legitimately no joy anymore

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
The cycle of amiibo
anxiety...despair....relief

There's legitimately no joy anymore
Indeed. I know several people who are bailing out and selling their entire sets just to get out of this mess. Thinking of doing the same.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I was so mad when I woke up the exact same time Jigglypuff was being distributed and target was being a POS site, constantly giving me errors as I thought I got her :\

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Puff is already gone?! Damn
Pac-Man and Dr. Mario are the 2 amiibo I'm definitely, definitely getting/pre-ordering. Outside of that there are some I kind of want to get but I don't want to let myself splerg too hard... Jigglypuff, Greninja, and Ganondorf all look really nice.
Oh yeah and squid loli for sure

AquaInferno

Smash Apprentice
I should have KNOWN they were up to no good with the preorders not being available all this time. I should have KNOWN they were trying to figure out who was gonna be exclusive where. Why is it only in #&%$! ¥÷₩ America that there's this exclusive junk. I get so mad over this and I don't know why I do. Why should I care so much about getting all 49 plus I got gold Mario. I never opened my gold Mario. I can't trade him though for a Kirby with a microphone.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I honestly don't mind buying each of the figures for twice the price, which is what it is seeming to necessitate.
It is this feeling of failure despite intensive effort, my imminent unavailability whenever these figures happen to go live, the paranoia of not being able to trust any store front or company which has even already sold me the figure, that make this an extremely displeasurable situation.

The diffusion of responsibility is also extremely agitating, wherein no store, service, technician, or otherwise associate involved any step of the way with these figures, will ever take the blame for the reputable quality of service every rung up this ladder.

I know Nintendo needs money; but obviously they are selling out their Intellectual Properties in an attempt to represent just how much they are selling out on their values as well. Instead of that meaning an expansion of markets into more adult friendly games and social-media connectivity, it has brought on changes to the company which, while many excite me, additionally showcase those that are abhorrent. It means incomprehensibly ill attempt to standardize protocol on a products for which they refuse to meet the demands. It means marginalizing the value of returning customers with tantalizing promises and variables which require those promises to continually be unrequited. It means the soulless abdication to allow micro-purchasing on mobilized markets featured for children in the form of beloved franchises such as Pokemon.

I no longer will look forward to a Nintendo Direct, because it promises the days there after to be encumbered with demoralizing frustration and near self-pity over matters of which I cannot change.

Nintendo; good grief. I am unfathomably let down.

Last edited:

AquaInferno

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't mind buying each of the figures for twice the price, which is what it is seeming to necessitate.
It is this feeling of failure despite intensive effort, my imminent unavailability whenever these figures happen to go live, the paranoia of not being able to trust any store front or company which has even already sold me the figure, that make this an extremely displeasurable situation.

The diffusion of responsibility is also extremely agitating, wherein no store, service, technician, or otherwise associate involved any step of the way with these figures, will ever take the blame for the reputable quality of service every rung up this ladder.

I know Nintendo needs money; but obviously they are selling out their Intellectual Properties in an attempt to represent just how much they are selling out on their values as well. Instead of that meaning an expansion of markets into more adult friendly games and social-media connectivity, it has brought on changes to the company which, while many excite me, additionally showcase those that are abhorrent. It means incomprehensibly ill attempt to standardize protocol on a products for which they refuse to meet the demands. It means marginalizing the value of returning customers with tantalizing promises and variables which require those promises to continually be unrequited. It means the soulless abdication to allow micro-purchasing on mobilized markets featured for children in the form of beloved franchises such as Pokemon.

I no longer will look forward to a Nintendo Direct, because it promises the days there after to be encumbered with demoralizing frustration and near self-pity over matters of which I cannot change.

Nintendo; good grief. I am unfathomably let down.
I am so mad about this whole thing. Nintendo is stupid plain and simple. They know what the problems were now and can't use ignorance as an excuse and STILL make the same mistakes. Stupid is as stupid does.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
This is the same company who hyped up adapters but then shipped like 2 of them to each store lol

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Considering Target has been the brute of the difficulty, as far as I can see, in amiibo gathering, I find them to blame.

Any amiibo gamestop has is always easily available- they alert customers of both preorders and arrival, provide multiple ways receive the items, and often reopen the time table for another wave of an already released amiibo.

Target and Walmart are the ones who, knowing the difficulty of this item, just make it available whenever they so happen to feel the decision is within them, making predictability of online purchasing times, much less in store stock, a completely random event. There is no way to stay on top of those two stores.

Even Best Buy and Toys R Us had their preorders open for over a month with their exclusives.*

I may be remiss to reform my previous post in stating this is not all Nintendo's doing, but it certainly and in large part, a failure of the retailers.

*I don't think it is acceptable for consumers to bemoan an overall lack of availability for Shulk, Meta Knight, or Lucario. If it was sold out from under you, or in other ways removed from your ability to actually secure a product deemed just- then I would likely agree. However, figures like Meta Knight were available from November 21st until at least January to preorder. Lucario could be found both in store or online for more than a month. Shulk, as well.

Only Jigglypuff (thus far), Rosalina, and Gold Mario are in any comparable state of 'retail failure' in the US.
Any other figure that a customer did not get here, I can honestly say, they just did not want them badly enough. Even when we did not know about the short supply of them, 12 days after release, when Villager/WFT/Marth were cancelled everywhere- if you did not get it the first ten days, you considered them too informally. I was even one of those in the mass who did this with Marth and Villager- I put off getting them.

Well, after that, no more did I do such.

AquaInferno

Smash Apprentice
FWIW I think the amiibo craze affected ALL collector items. I had a hard time buying Metal Gear Solid V collector edition. I got one but I had to stalk the MGS reddit. The last MGS limited edition I got was so easy to get, granted that was around 2006 but still. I don't put all the blame on Target and Nintendo just check ebay for Microphone Kirby and you'll see. I'm just wishing for once Nintendo would overstock but it's the old Alice Cooper theory: Give them less to keep them craving for more. We're all getting played like an NES game up in this mug.

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
I think a nice bonus for those who preordered Jigglypuff should be free digital downloads of the songs "Enter Sandman" by Metallica and "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" by Marilyn Manson. You can see how Jigglypuff can relate to both songs.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think a nice bonus for those who preordered Jigglypuff should be free digital downloads of the songs "Enter Sandman" by Metallica and "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" by Marilyn Manson. You can see how Jigglypuff can relate to both songs.
I think it's quite enough bonus that you are (likely) secure in getting the figure at all.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I got a text from a friend that Jigglypuff was up while I was at work, immediately jumped online to try to get it, but missed it since I had to register on Target. I didn't think it was coming today and didn't previously have an account. I fully expect the same to happen tomorrow with Greninja.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Why does Ness have to be GameStop exclusive? I think a deal with the devil might sound more appealing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes, though 2pm is actually when the in-store preorders go live for all of the wave 4 Gamestop will be selling (which you should all be doing cause in-store preorders are OP). Gamestop will apparently also selling a bundle.

http://www.reddit.com/r/amiibo/comments/317ay7/if_you_want_to_pre_order_at_2_you_must_go_to_the/
Oh god, I must get that Wave 4 bundle and the Splatoon 3-pack just so I can rest assured about Ness, Lucina, Robin, Charizard, Wario, and Pac-Man and the Splatoon characters... and then I can focus on trying to get Jigglypuff from Target and Greninja from Toys R Us.

EDIT: Such bull crap... my boyfriend is at a GameStop store in person and the store computer went down.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Successfully pre-ordered Ness and Pac-Man! (At least, I hope the pre-order works. I've never pre-ordered before, so I'm not sure how the "pick up in store" option works)

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
So according to my friend whos in the store right now, Gamestop is taking orders manually, asking you buy a gift card and leave it in store and they buy it for you when it comes up in the system (wtf). They're also asking you pay in full up front this time, which freaking kicks my ass cause now I can only afford one amiibo.

Also apparently the Splatoon bundle is "like 34 dollars."

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Trying to pre-order Jigglypuff like:

Then she gets restocked while you're out pre-ordering Ness and you're like:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So according to my friend whos in the store right now, Gamestop is taking orders manually, asking you buy a gift card and leave it in store and they buy it for you when it comes up in the system (wtf). They're also asking you pay in full up front this time, which freaking kicks my *** cause now I can only afford one amiibo.

Also apparently the Splatoon bundle is "like 34 dollars."
That's what my boyfriend is telling me... he is at a Gamestop store right now, trying to preorder the dang bundle in person... and really? Paying in full up front? Shoot, that's crazy!!

AquaInferno

Smash Apprentice
With all these rules I will just refresh GS.com since they wanna do gift cards and charge up front. Worse case is all my wave 4 comes from Japan. I'm done caring, in the immortal words of Iron Sheik: America HOCK TOOEY!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Oh god, I must get that Wave 4 bundle and the Splatoon 3-pack just so I can rest assured about Ness, Lucina, Robin, Charizard, Wario, and Pac-Man and the Splatoon characters... and then I can focus on trying to get Jigglypuff from Target and Greninja from Toys R Us.

EDIT: Such bull crap... my boyfriend is at a GameStop store in person and the store computer went down.
All computers are down, I'm in a store now in south Florida.

Last edited:

Kendude

Smash Cadet
Well it took me 29 minutes but I successfully manged to preorder a Ness at EB Games. I was mashing refresh 10 minutes before 3PM and as soon as 3 o clock hit, the site slowed to a crawl.

Interestingly and annoyingly enough (as they're the 3 from this wave I wanted most), Charizard, Robin and Lucina are not available on there yet, so I have another ordeal ahead of me later!

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Well it looks like the servers at GameStop are down or something. Hm, good thing I opted not to go. See, I thought it would be the usual GameStop preorder fare where you put $5 down and pay the rest from here until release. But it turns out to be they have it ship to your house and you pay in full right then and there. I was gonna preorder Ness, Lucina, Robin, and the Splatoon bundle but I don't have the money to pay it all in full right now.
Whelp, I'll try another way then.

JipC

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, I actually have **** to do during the day and can't be glued to retailor's websites f5'ing the amiibo pages all day which is apparently what Nintendo thinks is the only way you're allowed to get amiibo
I'm okay with stuff being hard to find post-release but when its hard TO EVEN GET A PRE-ORDER... My god, get your **** together Nintendo.

Also lol at the Gamestop thing going on right now. I don't even.

Last edited:
Top Bottom