• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amazon Has Spoken: 06/15/2014

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't know, I won't draw any comparisons, but Melee was a good game, and it was rushed. Maybe being rushed isn't such a bad thing. :happysheep:
Melee was rushed for time but it certainly wasn't rushed for the amount of work poured into it. Sakurai and many of his staff members worked on it 6 days a week for up to 16 hours a day for 13 months straight.

JbrockPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JbrockPony
Regardless of the the date being a place holder, I think being released in 2014 in general was a bad move. Sakurai is already under stress with his medical condition. The fact that the Wii U isn't doing so well and they have to rely on this game to be a console seller is intense enough for this guy.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Most Melee competitive players on this site will disagree with the physics part.
A lot of characters are too heavy and juming isn't very precise. And I don't mean characters that are suppose to be heavy, I mean like even Fox & Young Link.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
A lot of characters are too heavy and juming isn't very precise. And I don't mean characters that are suppose to be heavy, I mean like even Fox & Young Link.
That's not weight, it's fall speed.

If you want to go so deep into it, canonically Fox cut his own legs and has very heavy metallic implants, so you might say he actually should be a Fast Faller. Also Fox is still a fast faller in Brawl too (and in 64 although to a lesser extent), it's just everyone is much more floaty, but if you compare Melee Mario to Melee Fox and Brawl Mario to Brawl Fox you will notice he still falls much faster, so that didn't change at all. So I guess it isn't that much of a problem of being rushed, more like Sakurai decided Fox (and Falco) should fall really fast, and it's probably because of the metal implants.

Young Link has a boomerang, bow and arrows, bombs, 30 masks (or a Megaton Hammer depending which version you prefer, the fact he can't use it doesn't mean he doesn't carry them), etc, etc. If you want to go into cannon there are many things to consider.

JbrockPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JbrockPony

The engine physics were designed for higher speed in mind. Without out the high gravity, fast falling wouldn't contributed to one of many advanced melee mechanics. There was more control and precision in melee then brawl had. There was article somewhere on this site explaining why Sakurai removed these advanced inputs in Brawl to appeal more to new coming players. I guess you can say brawl had more of a restriction than melee when it came to precise control.

That's not weight, it's fall speed.

What he said^

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
I do not think this is true because it says the release date for super mario 3d world is december 30, why would they release it after the holidays?

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I do not think this is true because it says the release date for super mario 3d world is december 30, why would they release it after the holidays?
These sounds like much more normal place holder dates. If you don't know when in a year something is coming out, just say the end of the year and bump it up when a real release date is announced.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Everyone already said it but it looks like a placeholder date
Regardless of the the date being a place holder, I think being released in 2014 in general was a bad move. Sakurai is already under stress with his medical condition. The fact that the Wii U isn't doing so well and they have to rely on this game to be a console seller is intense enough for this guy.
The game has been in development since about Feb-Mar 2012. If the Amazon date was true, it would be 27 months. If it comes out at the end of the year, it will be just under 3 years which is still long for a game. Sadly, stress is a part of the job and projects have deadlines. They can always delay it if things go bad.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
These sounds like much more normal place holder dates. If you don't know when in a year something is coming out, just say the end of the year and bump it up when a real release date is announced.
Yeah i agree with you, if mario 3d world was a placeholder. then smash 4, a game that comes out later, would almost certainly be a placeholder as well

nessokman

Smash Lord
don't trust amazon. They were the ones who got wind of Earthbound's VC release and put it up as a coming soon title

You're also completely ignoring the fact that characters who ran then jumped maintained that momentum. Brawl removed this, which inadvertently caused the system to revert to the smash 64-esq engine. The fact that this single engine feature existed allowed a wide plethora of tactics whether it be offensive or defensive. It also lead to the creation of the wavedash and waveland.

Fox is heavy because he was designed to be a fast falling character who was hard to hit from the air, but also a glass cannon . Young Link...I don't know, guess it was just a mistake.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The heavier characters was just something I noticed. Maybe It works for the rest of the audience I just personally thought it felt out of place and made fighting awkward, it might just be me.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
The heavier characters was just something I noticed. Maybe It works for the rest of the audience I just personally thought it felt out of place and made fighting awkward, it might just be me.

It may feel out of place to some (including myself, Young Link does feels awkward when you play him for the first time. Not Fox though, Fox feels really good to me), but it does have a valid reason, character-wise, story-wise and playstyle-wise if you look into it. Also the fact that it was always planned to be that way from the start and that it stayed that way in Brawl implies that it wasn't a mistake because it was rushed, that's just the way Sakurai thinks the character should be.

Anyways I do believe the Brawl and 64 physics where momentum doesn't exist and jumping or air dodging just erases all momentum all together is extremely awkward (so is Melee air dodge, where you can just create your momentum in any desired direction, what?), it gets worse when you have a basic grasp of real physics momentum and parabolic arcs, it just feels so awkward. Yet in every game, the physics were planned that way and after playing a while you get used to it and then it even becomes second nature.

Quite honestly I have never had a gripe with any of the three games' physics except maybe for how floaty Brawl is, apart from that I think they are all really good and fun.

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
them removing it is weird though usually they would not remove a placeholder, makes me wonder if they actually posted a release date to early

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Wasn't facing Link in Melee kind of cheap to anybody. That one may just be my memory.

Jonn

Smash Apprentice
A qualitative game like SSB can't be set for a date this early. Sakurai's creativity flows at a pace of it's own that is unbeknownst to even him.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
my prediction is that we will get a confirmed release date at e3 2014

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
June 15th? Well it's definitely a placeholder, but I'm going to guess they just used the date the item was either last updated or added to Amazon. I mean, it's only a couple days past when the game got revealed, so they probably just took the current date (when it was the 15th) and moved it up a year. No way Nintendo would release Smash in the middle of summer, let alone in the middle of E3. So yeah... :p

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
A qualitative game like SSB can't be set for a date this early. Sakurai's creativity flows at a pace of it's own that is unbeknownst to even him.
junne 2014 early? seems awful long time to me

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Q1 is highly unlikely. There's Mario Kart 8 in that period, and is the other BIG Nintendo multiplayer game. Sure releasing them both very close would boost the WiiU like a rocket, but also they would hurt each other's early sales.
Anyway I could see Sm4sh coming in June. During summer there's scarcity of games usually, and it would have legs all the way up to Christmas.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman

Don't worry about this, Mario Kart is set for a release during spring 2014. Mario Kart is an even bigger console seller than Smash is. So I don't think Nintendo is pushing Sakurai that much. Mario Kart will have legs to keep selling the console through out all spring and summer, if not even the whole year (or even longer than that). :)

Top Bottom