• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All of the important Melee characters are back!

Is Smash Four the true sequel Melee's been waiting for? (Melee 2.0)

• Total voters

the8thark

Smash Lord
This is game is neither Melee 2.0 or Brawl 2.0 and it shouldn't be. It's its own thing and a damn good one.
Also about Roy...yeah, I don't see him happening. Lucina already fills his shoes as a Marth clone and at this point they are not going to add another one. And considering how (unreasonable) flak this game gets for having three clones, a second clone of the same moveset wouldn't be well received.
Lucina does not fill Roy's shoes at all. Lucina is her own character. Nothing like Roy. Roy got cut and was never replaced and nothing in SSB4 is similar. We got over this ages ago, but please don't compare Lucina to Roy, that's insulting to Roy's cut from Smash Bros grave.

Last edited:

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
Lucina does not fill Roy's shoes at all. Lucina is her own character. Nothing like Roy. Roy got cut and was never replaced and nothing in SSB4 is similar. We got over this ages ago, but please don't compare Lucina to Roy, that's insulting to Roy's cut from Smash Bros grave.
Aside from being faster and slightly less powerful, and having her damage spread evenly across her blade with no fire attribute, she basically is Roy's replacement.
If they gave her a neutral B custom that matched Roy's flare slam using some other kind of element, she'd be a dead-ringer.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Smash Bros for 3DS: Sm4sh 1.0
Smash Bros for Wii U: Sm4sh 2.0

There, I fixed that for you.
Even though I like his answer as a "no" to this silly question thread. You gave a decent response lol, and at the same time you reminded me how much the Wii U version needs to be out now, right this second...

End of day, this is Smash 4. Melee was huge but what about 64? If everyone is going to be so damn bandwagon, you might as well go full blown old school and hitch a ride with the further past. The game was incredible when it came out on the 64... there weren't enough free moments in the day to play that game.

To answer your question in a different light, I think that the amazing feel that Melee brought to the smash community as a whole is back with this edition, and it was slightly missing in Brawl. Each game is its own to me. I am loving this one so far and it's not even on console yet. Will it ever reach Melee's competitive level, no as of now. But that doesn't mean players can't reach high skill caps, it just means they won't have to be spamming inputs in between combos and connecting blows in such a spastic manner. Less raw control, but at the same time more standardized control. It's such a nice start right out the box.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Sorry, but the comparison is still valid. Roy is merely a clone of Marth, in the same vein as Lucina is merely a clone of him now. They may have slightly different properties but they both fill the role of being a moveset copy. I'm not saying that I'm opposed to Roy's inclusion but I can't see why they would add a second Marth clone when one is enough already.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Lucina doesn't have a sweetspot at the center of her blade unlike Roy, nor does she have a sour spot, meaning that unlike Roy and Marth, she can hit with any part of her blade with a more consistent result. So yeah, :roypm:=/=:4lucina:.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
No this game has more mechanics reminiscent to Brawl that it does to Melee. I mean dash momentum in a jump isn't even back, and that was kinda essential for Melee combos to actually work.

Top Bottom