• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All of the important Melee characters are back!

Is Smash Four the true sequel Melee's been waiting for? (Melee 2.0)

• Total voters

Mechageo

Smash Ace
All of the important characters from Melee are back in some form.
We have:
Toon Link (An updated Young Link)
Lucina (Roy in spirit)
Dr. Mario
Mewtwo

We don't have Pichu, but as a character that had the same moves as Pikachu and hurt itself, I don't consider it an important character.

Even Captain Falcon's back! (You know what I'm talking about!)

Agree/Disagree?

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
>no Our Boy (Lucina can't even hold a candle)
>no Pichu to troll with

We ain't there yet. DLC might help, of course. Until I get T3H PH1R3 and my self-destructive little nairball it won't be a true sequel.

Last edited:

Anthuhny

Smash Cadet
No because the most important mechanics aren't back. The game is awesome anyway.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
No because it's not a complete copy of Melee and lacks the Ice Climbers. Not that it matters.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Please people. Let's help to report that troll... You know who I'm talking about.

Yes to the poll but no to the title of the thread. Ice Climbers are gone. It's the only thing wrong with Smash 4. The game would have been perfect at that point.

I did say important.

/runsaway
They are. If you come back I'll beat you up! Xo'

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'd rather play Smash 4 than Melee if that counts.

I'd also rather play Brawl than Melee so my opinion probably doesn't matter

I do wish that Lucina had been more Roy than Marth but it's to be expected I guess

I'm more irritated about the non returning veterans from Brawl than from Melee anyway. I never cared for Mewtwo in Melee so he brings no hype at all to me aside from confirmation of character DLC.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Is Smash Four the true sequel Melee's been waiting for? (Melee 2.0)
I pray to god it isn't. And judging by Smash 3DS, Smash 4 is nothing like Melee, fortunately.
I did say important.

/runsaway
So why is Mewtwo back then? A Pokémon among 700 other is far from being important, specially compared to the Ice Climbers.

Last edited:

あい3

Smash Rookie
NNID
AitoMarth
3DS FC
1693-3217-0339
Basically everyone important returned aside from the Ice Climbers and it could be possible that they might come back considering it was mostly time constraints when it came to handling them on the 3DS that killed them. Lucina's a Marth clone, which could be a parallel to how Roy is a Marth clone. Guess all that's missing is a Pikachu clone but do we really need more clones?

That being said I really prefer how the newer Smashes play compared to Melee. Despite their flaws, it feels more like I'm trying to play mind games against my opponents instead of trying to do snazzy maneuvers and stuff.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Now, if only this guy can make a comeback too...

Lylat Cruise is returning, so it just seems shameful to not have Wolf back; he has his own special conversations for that stage after all.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
No! Smash 4 is not like melee and I don't want it to be, is should be it own game and not ride of the success of melee. It's a good game by itself it don't need to be like melee to be great.

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
Not a brawl 2.0 or Melee 2.0. Smash4 is its own game.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Lucina is Roy in spirit? I guess you can say that they're kind of similar because they're both clones of Marth but I'm sure lucina mains cringe whenever someone says she's Roy incarnate. They don't play similarly at all.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
So why is Mewtwo back then? A Pokémon among 700 other is far from being important, specially compared to the Ice Climbers.
Mewtwo has been a very important Pokemon in the main games (even in X and Y) and in some of the films and probably the anime (not sure about the anime myself), whereas the Ice Climbers were a duo in one NES game. Are you really telling me they're more important?

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
It's hard to even call it a Melee 2.0 or even a Brawl 2.0, it is its own game really.

I will say that it is disappointing that there isn't a whole lot of Melee stages to choose from (hopefully Wii U version will have more as unlocks, or maybe DLC!), but it's nice to see a N64 stage back!

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
I will say that it is disappointing that there isn't a whole lot of Melee stages to choose from (hopefully Wii U version will have more as unlocks, or maybe DLC!), but it's nice to see a N64 stage back!
I think of it like Mario Kart. Each game has new tracks/stages with a few differing old ones thrown in each time.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I think of it like Mario Kart. Each game has new tracks/stages with a few differing old ones thrown in each time.
True, but at the same time it seems Brawl has about 19 known returning stages while Melee has 6 across both versions. Maybe DLC will fix this? :0

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
Still waiting on that Pichu DLC where Pichu is a fast, weak attackers but he's just too fast
But uh , it certainly is it's looking to be it's own game, in it's own right, not really brawl or melee, hopefully it will last me as long as those two

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
This game is a 2.0 of nothing and to say so (be it Brawl or Melee) is rather nearsighted. Still, it's got a bunch of Melee characteristics, and that should satisfy some people.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Smash Bros for 3DS: Sm4sh 1.0
Smash Bros for Wii U: Sm4sh 2.0

There, I fixed that for you.
That implies the 3DS one is incomplete, and that's just untrue. The 3DS version is a solid version of Smash, the best yet for me. Yes, the Wii U version will be superior in many respects, but the 3DS version is an incredible achievement on its own.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
As long as Ice Climbers are not in Smash 4, the title of this thread is a complete lie.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Pichu actually did have a different usmash, and his dsmash wasn't multihit; it launched in the opposite direction and actually had invincibility frames (7-10).
He was a lot of fun to use because he was like a controllable projectile with his incredibly low landing lag and high mobility, but it kinda sucks that not many others took a liking to him.

If we could at least get a Raichu alt or something, that'd be nice.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Mewtwo has been a very important Pokemon in the main games (even in X and Y) and in some of the films and probably the anime (not sure about the anime myself), whereas the Ice Climbers were a duo in one NES game. Are you really telling me they're more important?
Yes. Yes we are.
Smash is its own game and so the characters included are quite often more than the sum of their other appearances. Just look at Captain Falcon. Dude sits in a car all day and is barely even seen within his own series but Smash gave him character, making him the ridiculous symbol of video game manliness that gets the boards hyped simply by returning intact.
The Ice Climbers were just a couple of coat clad mountaineers with hammers, that much is true, but Smash makes them something more. Something unique within the series and maybe even fighting games as a whole. It also gives them a sense of identity, with their "unbreakable" bond.
Nobody here really cares about the Ice Climbers game but to lose the most unique fighters Smash has is a big shame.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Yes. Yes we are.
Smash is its own game and so the characters included are quite often more than the sum of their other appearances. Just look at Captain Falcon. Dude sits in a car all day and is barely even seen within his own series but Smash gave him character, making him the ridiculous symbol of video game manliness that gets the boards hyped simply by returning intact.
The Ice Climbers were just a couple of coat clad mountaineers with hammers, that much is true, but Smash makes them something more. Something unique within the series and maybe even fighting games as a whole. It also gives them a sense of identity, with their "unbreakable" bond.
Nobody here really cares about the Ice Climbers game but to lose the most unique fighters Smash has is a big shame.
Game And Watch is the winner here. The character didn't exist till SSB-Melee. He's just a character made up to represent things like this:

Last edited:

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I wouldn't really call this a "sequel" to Melee; there's a new metagame that makes this more of a "successor" to Melee.

Also, Mewtwo's in. I couldn't really care less anymore about anything else at this point. Even my sadness from Ridley's deconfirmation was instantly forgotten when Mewtwo was confirmed.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Yes. Yes we are.
I agree that its a shame to lose a unique duo like the Ice Climbers, but Mewtwo is a more wanted and important character overall. Plus, we got a new NES rep from a more important game, Duck Hunt (Duo).

Top Bottom