• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
By the way, when will the PR ranking thread be updated? Paul told me the new list but it still looks the same from before last tournament.
Something that I would ask in the PR thread, or to Ben personally.

Regardless, you know the rankings so I'd take that as a win

Taste

Smash Apprentice
#JesusStevo making the holy pilgrimage to Calgary? What good fortune this is.

Arthur I will update it this weekend.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I will be hosting(and streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/ghillieguide) friendlies tommorow at my house.
hope you guys can make it out as tuesday was a great success. I have a new, better webcam setup now and the mic is incorperated so it will be better audio with better video and working on getting audio directly from the gc and skipping the dazzle as it does not record audio. edit:actually im gonna be recording game sounds through the mic attaches to the webcam, cant seem to get it to work with both for some reason
also stevo in calgary sounds amazing for our community to improve.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
is anyone coming? did everyone leave homework till the last minute?
i just dont want my 2 viewer to be dissappointed lol

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Clarke, you could get a rca to 2mm cable to just plug directly into your computer if thats your fancy

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
i got an rca to to male mic to go into my laptop but i cant use that+the cam mic. it doesnt matter.
i guess that means noone is coming:(
Calgary is hella scrubs, i dont know why i even bother trying to improve this community when noone actually puts in any work. i try to get you recorded so you can notice your mistakes and hold events but your all too caught up with trying to win some scrubby amount of$ to actually help people improve. i know we all suck at coaching but there are new people trying to improve at this game and everyone just holds onto their secrets cause they are too insecure about their game or concerned with winning money which is just greedy and petty.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Ah the bitter taste of being ignored for doing good.

Yeah I know that, I'm still getting **** on for trying to help.

Clarke remain strong, I suggest you edit that before too many people see cause honestly I doubt you mean that, I can't think of many people only in it for the money, it's merely that people are less invested into it than others. People are always gonna complain because there is always a better option, it's just too bad that their complaints are the reason the better option isn't there.

I appreciate what you've been doing Clarke, which is ironic considering I never come, but alas, I assure you I've never meant any harm to you, I support you and when I can I do tune into your streams (although nobody checks the chat =[ )

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Sounds like you guys need jesusstevo to come save you all.

Y'all aren't ready for his YOSHI.

#Jesusstevo>leffen

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
im not editing any thing in the previous post, i meant it all. this has nothing to do with me at all. simon was more salty about losing money than matches(as an example). i dont really stream anything interesting other than these friendlies and really dont care if you watch or support nearly as much as having people improve and stop making the same scrubby mistakes and getting angry when their scrubby tactics that they have been spamming for months do not work. the new players deserve good advice from top calgary players and help to work out their flaws.

Brikmaethor

Smash Cadet
It's really cool to see that someone is taking the time to host weekly friendlies in an effort to help the community improve. That it is being done for the benefit of old and new players alike makes me very happy. Kudos to you, Clarke.

I would love to come out to these (goodness knows I need the help), but it doesn't look like I'll be able to for the next few weeks. In case that changes, what time do you usually run from/until?

Subzer0_king68

Smash Cadet
In my defense, i lost to 2 friends in that tournament. Of course i wouldn't be mad at losing to 2 people i always play against.

Regarding people not always showing up, some people lack the time to show up to every single event. We try to but we have work and school which take priority.

We appreciate the effort in trying to build up the community Clarke, just remember that people have other things to attend to in their lives.

Also, real life option select.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I usually run friendlies from 1pm-usually before dinner.
I go to school and i understand people cant go to all events but when people do go to events they dont help each other improve at all other than their own personal friends. i would give more advice but i really dont know that much about matchups and counterpicks, i only really know about mechanics and ic's matchups and counterpicks. i cant help all these new players other than speculation

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
i got an rca to to male mic to go into my laptop but i cant use that+the cam mic. it doesnt matter.
i guess that means noone is coming:(
Calgary is hella scrubs, i dont know why i even bother trying to improve this community when noone actually puts in any work. i try to get you recorded so you can notice your mistakes and hold events but your all too caught up with trying to win some scrubby amount of$ to actually help people improve. i know we all suck at coaching but there are new people trying to improve at this game and everyone just holds onto their secrets cause they are too insecure about their game or concerned with winning money which is just greedy and petty.
dude you gotta understand that people need to study, and people especially need to cram at the end of reading week.

Today was my mom's birthday.

T-block

B2B TST
All right, for those of you who don't know, there's a bit of a "discussion" going on in the FB thread right now. For the sake of organization and ease of reading, Tyson and I have decided that it would be better to have this discussion on SWF. Clearly there are some conflicting sentiments that need to be resolved here, so I think this discussion should continue, but please keep it civil.

Previous discussion:

brningpyre

Smash Lord
(this post is in reference to the FB thread)

Enough with the drama.

No one disagrees that having both free smashfests and pay tourneys is a bad idea. NO ONE. That would be great. I would love to go to more smashfests (sorry I couldn't make today, btw).

This isn't a Brawl vs. Melee thing. Or at least it shouldn't be. Victor, I don't appreciate the whole "secretive underground" dig, but whatever. I know that I haven't been advertising and hyping the RPS tourneys as much as I could be. I've had a lot of **** to deal with in my personal life recently with my girlfriend, and mortgages, and finding a house, and stress at work. I haven't been putting in a lot of effort into the tourney and the advertising, and for that, I am genuinely sorry.

But, that doesn't mean we're going for some "secretive underground pay-to-play" strategy. If we had the people and the time (and most importantly, the motivation) to put into more advertising and events (both free and paid), we would.

I would love to attend more events, and I look forward to the first one you're planning. Just because we aren't stepping up to organize your plan for you doesn't mean we're shooting it down.

I'll try to step up the work I'm putting into the RPS tourneys, and get the word out more. I've already got a design for flyers, and we've just been lagging behind in advertising. If you need help with the additional events you want to organize, let me know and I'll do my best to help. RPS is going remain Brawl/P:M, but I'll try to help you out with additional events to build up the community.

If you don't think we're doing enough in advertising events, just say that. Don't say we're secretive and underground. If you don't think we're doing enough free events, just say that. Instead, you took a dig at me personally for not organizing enough tourneys (no one else is in Edmonton) with enough publicity (we will work on our advertising and encouraging new players) and enough locations (outside the UofA).

We're a community, and we should be sticking together. I'm in favour of more events, and new ideas. But a tourney and revived scene doesn't magically appear out of thin air. People are pessimistic, but no one is shooting down the idea. I would love to attend and bring setups to any of the new events you're planning, and I'm sure many others in the community would too.

Btw, the RPS tourneys already have a long-standing policy of letting new players play in the tourney for free. We've had that policy for about a year now.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Are you sure you guys can even advertise? How tight does the university monitor you guys? I'm afraid of when you guys try to get the word out that the university will intervene and shut you guys down due to gambling violation.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
When I put flyers last year and the year before, we didn't have any issues.

We don't specifically break the rules, since we don't actually keep any money, or do any fund-raising (according to Canadian law, tournaments (like for karate and such) do not fall under gambling). However, for the last few months, the room hasn't been officially booked.

If anyone going to the University currently can PM Luke and sign up with the club, then we can have the room booked legitimately. That would really help.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
@ arthur how could i not understand. i have and exam on monday and have actually been studying for it all week lol. because you cram all your studying into 1 day that means your a scrub. i pretty much cancelled friendlies tommorow cause noone will show but you can still put in more effort to help new players when you do go.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Question, is the calgary event in may being hosted by me or somebody else?

Because as someone planning things, I'd love to know if somebody else is planning things. I know y'all don't like talking to me, but like, help me out bros.

My sentiments: Guys, everybody is gonna *****, look at my tournament, best one in a LONG time, and I still am getting complaints about it, but ultimately you all are glad for it, and I charged quite a bit for venue as well as offered free events. I am living proof that **** will happen if you put in the effort regardless of stupid drama or anything else, we need to drop the online alter-ego's and just support eachother for a little bit.

Tyler, that tournament you were thinking of hosting? I'm cool with it, get a few people to help you chip on a venue, and do it.

Victor, you decide what to do with the weeklies, everyone will follow, I suggest making it public.

Clarke, you have done a lot and I can safely say you have done a lot for me personally lately (with my tournament and all), but please don't let it get to your head, being rude about it isn't going to help, it's just going to start fights. Simon may be a very salty person, but he didn't lash out in any way that I feel is bad, a john is a john, just tell him no johns. As for your events, well honestly, I do a hell of a lot more than just smash, I don't even have time to keep up with my own personal ventures so I frankly am going to continue missing a lot of events, and I hope you can accept my apology for such, but know I have never been rude about it, I've tried to support you best I can.

As for the newer players looking for help to get better, **** it, I will teach anyone who wants to know, what I know, I have no bearings against people getting better, I frankly am not the best teacher, but maybe I am seasoned enough that I know more than most. I'll gladly give training to anyone who wants it, however my time is very scarce and you'll be lucky to catch me, I suggest keeping in touch personally, I'm much better for that.

...it'll only cost you $20/hr

T-block

B2B TST
Vic, it's very clear you're harboring unfairly negative sentiments towards the Brawl community. I'm not sure what the exact cause of those sentiments is, but they are incredibly obvious. You are constantly misrepresenting them as being driven by money, with no love for the game, when it's been shown multiple times that that is not the case, and honestly, you're smarter than to be constantly misreading like that. So could you please share what exactly you're so peeved about so we can work towards a resolution? Was there a specific incident? Or if you honestly somehow believe that the Brawl players are interested only in money, try to step back and read what's being said for what it is, rather than what you want to see, because we're running in circles here.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
My sentiments: Guys, everybody is gonna *****, look at my tournament, best one in a LONG time, and I still am getting complaints about it, but ultimately you all are glad for it, and I charged quite a bit for venue as well as offered free events.
Btw, RPS tourneys have balanced and awesome brackets. You guys should totally come.

loljkIlovebread

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I actually dont do much really and havent done much i just remember what it was like trying to get better, putting in 6-hour practice days and going to the university to play "the big shots". the people around my lvl would keep secrets about my habits/mistakes so they could beat me and the better players would just four stock me repeatedly with no real advice and get kinda uptight when i took a stock(other than paul, he was a nice guy and helped me improve alot). I felt like i couldnt complain cause i was new and wanted to be a voice for the new players that dont really have ground to stand on to ask for help. these things really held back my development as a player and have instilled bad habits in my gameplay
as for starting fights i dont think anyone wants to fight with me, if they are offended by me than it is just johns for not contributing.
it's fisticuffs gentlemen!

Rush

Smash Apprentice
Regarding Clarke's concern: Guys, I don't think his prime complaint here was people not showing up, I think he understands people just can't show up because of their lives. What I get from his post is helping others improve. To be frank, I don't think it's that big of a concern. People do help each other, Paul for example goes out of his way to help people improve, but not everyone can do that because good player does not mean good coach. Not one is really keeping secrets here, if you want advice, you ask. You can't expect people to just do it (there was a really good thread about "giving advice" on the boards, and it gives good insight into the advice dynamics/etiquette). Thing is most new players know what mechanics they need to work on, they just want to play a lot to get the experience before they start working in the lab. I actually feel we have it really good in Calgary, people are super friendly and are willy to discuss with each other. I see people help each other out all the time, and it shows, Calgary has improved so much so quickly.

Regarding Edmonton: I don't understand why you guys can't do what Calgary does. Is there something inherently different between Calgary people and Edmonton people? You guys just need a bit of effort and organization. What we have going is very very good, so why won't it work in Edmonton?

Top Bottom