• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
Hey I know its been a while since I posted but I was looking to see if anyone was heading to the ATL area sometime before the 6th of January, because I was planning on going to Apex with Billy but I need a ride to his house (or atleast to atlanta), so if anyone is heading that way I would really appreciate a ride....I can also give some money for gas, cause I'm a baller like that :p

*Cam*

Smash Lord
so who exactly did pops beat that put him above me even though he has lost double the amount of times he has won and my losses barely outweigh my wins.
i just dont understand that but whatever
He beat you and Ryker, although Ryker beat him back in brackets. Ryker's ELO is pretty high relatively, so that probably shot Pops up a lot. You also got last place in your pool at Resist, so that pushed you down some. I just thought people might like to see the W/L ratio. It's really not the end-all-be-all of the rankings. If you lose to someone really high ranked, then it hurts you much less. If you lose to someone ranked below you or around your skill level, it hurts you more. If you beat someone high ranked, it helps more. You get the point.

It's an imperfect system that will iron itself out more and more accurately over time. We want to give people chances at tournaments to play non-tourney sets (with a witness) to count towards the ELO. Basically, a money match without having to put money on the line. I think that gives people enough opportunity to improve their standing if it matters to them. If we record the match results, they might consider it during the next AL PR update too, who knows?

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
yeah my pool at resist screwed me over funny thing is that those were completely unnecesary though lol

but yeah, i do horrible vs falco and i didnt notice ryker was so high up there.

also i think its pretty cool to have the ELO rankings regardless of compelte accuracy but also im not in favor of doing away with money matches nahimean that **** is just too classic and its been around in fighting game history fovever.
im being serious about the MM thing, im not saying it cuz im salty or something, i understand better now that i saw how high ryker was and the fact that pops beat him and i got 2-0'd by him because i went my scrub *** wario vs his falco. and cuz he just beat me, but honestly my d3 would do better than my wario thats how bad my wario is. like i want to have a secondary but i literally cant becasue my wario is so bad lol im really ****ing happy that he isnt by my name.

ALSO WHO THE **** IS GOING TO APEX

*Cam*

Smash Lord
yeah my pool at resist screwed me over funny thing is that those were completely unnecesary though lol

but yeah, i do horrible vs falco and i didnt notice ryker was so high up there.

also i think its pretty cool to have the ELO rankings regardless of compelte accuracy but also im not in favor of doing away with money matches nahimean that **** is just too classic and its been around in fighting game history fovever.
We used them for seeding. People would have been upset had we skipped pools. We had the time and people wanted to get their money's worth of matches.

If you want to do money matches, I don't care. That's fine by me, but a lot of people don't like money matches and would prefer another option to ensure their performance will be counted for something. By no means would an ELO setup stop people from going and having money matches.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i wonder if pools matches should be weighted less severely than bracket matches. because people are noticeably less concerned with winning in pools...i guess thought thats just their fault

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
It's an imperfect system that will iron itself out more and more accurately over time. We want to give people chances at tournaments to play non-tourney sets (with a witness) to count towards the ELO. Basically, a money match without having to put money on the line. I think that gives people enough opportunity to improve their standing if it matters to them. If we record the match results, they might consider it during the next AL PR update too, who knows?
I've reached a new understanding that has allowed me to finally get over my issue with those sets. I don't think you ever understood what my issue was though, so whatever.

Yeah, I'm pretty high up there because Reflex, Kismet, and Ragnarok are the only players to 2-0 me this season, IIRC. I only seem to get to play them and DRN. I've got that one set I dropped to Pops and a pools set I dropped to Dyno. I'm gonna keep hovering around the position I am unless someone starts outpreforming me. I'm sitting at the middle with a record of 24-24. ELO will straighten itself out throughout the seasons and we can record the ELO at the ending of each season and give it a soft reset to help yield more accurate results for next season.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
slam you were looking good I watched a couple of your videos. everyone's improving but me :(
The ironic part is that everyone feels that way. I know I'm getting better. I can see the proof in the habits I'm kicking and the new technology I'm applying, but I continue to be the king of 13th place and it gets at me. Just gotta grit your teeth and bear it then go play Rag's ****ing ICs for the tenth match. Only one way up.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'm pretty high up there because Reflex, Kismet, and Ragnarok are the only players to 2-0 me this season, IIRC.
-hasn't read the thread-

If the ELO system treats 2-0's different than 2-1's, that's a flaw. TBQH it's a flaw when it's used for pool tiebreaking too, but if you didn't get out of pools because of those breakers you weren't going to win the tournament anyway so those are whatevs.

I can go on a rant about why, but I'll wait to confirm that 2-0 elo is actually being treated differently before I do.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i can see why that would be a flaw.

personally, i think it should count sets and not singluar matches but i mean, if thats how ELO is set up then there is not much we can do about that i guess.

also ryker im pretty salty about losing to your falco. i need to learn the MU with d3 because my wario is the ****tiest character alive.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Well, from my understanding of the program (I didn't design it, I just used it), losing a set 2-1 doesn't hurt you as much as losing a set 2-0. However, I know it doesn't just count individual games; it considers the set as a whole. So, it's not like Pops beat Ryker one game, ding 5 points gained. Lost the next two, ding 10 points off. It's more like, Pops lost 1-2 to Ryker, so instead of losing 10 points, he loses 8 or something like that.

EDIT: Ryan said it is the same ELO program that everyone else uses, so this isn't something we pulled out of thin air.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
also ryker im pretty salty about losing to your falco. i need to learn the MU with d3 because my wario is the ****tiest character alive.
Go for it. Just prepare for it mentally because you're almost always going to be at percent disadvantage. You have to recognize that I'm Falco and I basically spawn at kill percents compared to Snake, DK, D3, etc.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
EDIT: Ryan said it is the same ELO program that everyone else uses, so this isn't something we pulled out of thin air.
yeah this is basically why im sayin no one can really argue against it lol

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I don't really understand what there is to argue about. If you beat good people you get more points. I got like 7th at geeks and gamers, and escaped pools at iron brawl, but i didn't beat anyone really notable so my ELO is abysmal

also note this only takes into account 3 tournaments. For some of use that only amounts to about 3 or 4 sets. no one is trying to say THIS IS HOW GOOD YOU ARE COMPARED TO THE REST OF THE STATE, its just a set of objective data based on what you've done.

In the end, just beat the person put in front of you and things like this shouldn't matter to you. I'm not too concerned about whether i'm the 8 or 9 or 10th best player in Alabama. I'm tryna win tournaments dog

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
Or you can style on everyone at one tournament (i even beat my brother in a silly set) and be sitting pretty in the elo. EVERYONE NEEDS TO COME TO THE TOURNAMENT ON THE 14th!!! ITS MY B-DAY, & all i'm asking for is money matches ;)

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
ill MM you elev8.

also, i dont really care because im the only person in AL that had to completely pick up a new char and im still not that far behind everyone else lol ;)

also, do MM's count twords the ELO as well? just curious now that i think of it. i feel like they should.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i seriously think 0-death chaingrabs in a game like brawl is one of the most OP things in any game that anyone has ever tried to take seriously as a competitive game, and I fail to see how ICs players ever lose if they're not fighting metaknight or peach.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Snake beats them for sure. Diddy can disrupt them fairly easily as well. They have to already count themselves for a loss against most players in game two.

No, it's not retardedly OP. It's very good at beating low-mid level players though.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
yeah we've had this discussion before, about how all of a sudden at high level its "hard to grab" people when you're playing ic's, even though grabbing may possibly be the most common occurrence in this game. maybe tis hard but you only have to do it three times.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
So everyone should add me to their LoL friends list since ya'll play that mess.

Username's the same as it is here, naturally.

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
Snake, Diddy, Peach, Pit, Wario, toon link, Zss, Rob, Ness, Lucas -definitely stand a fighting chance.

No, it's not retardedly OP. It's very good at beating low-mid level players though.
yeah we've had this discussion before, about how all of a sudden at high level its "hard to grab" people when you're playing ic's, even though grabbing may possibly be the most common occurrence in this game. maybe tis hard but you only have to do it three times.
Ice Climbers force their opponent to space properly, play patiently, and punish accordingly. Which in my opinion sums up Brawl. If you can not do these things, then you will struggle against ICs. It's not even impossible to do well with other characters. I don't mind playing the matchup as D3, and 4God almost beat me at AUSOM4ever. I NEVER scrape up Calvin. We always have close sets. It's just a matter of playing very smart and executing.

Pr0t0

Smash Rookie
So yall play league of legends? You guys level 30?

Me, phantom, and orion all play, if you remember us. And we're 30.

Add Xenmaster.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
All my Auburn friends play LoL (well, almost all of them). I'm really bad at it though. I'll play with you guys, but you should know my low skill going in.

DRN

Smash Lord
Ice Climbers force their opponent to space properly, play patiently, and punish accordingly. Which in my opinion sums up Brawl. If you can not do these things, then you will struggle against ICs. It's not even impossible to do well with other characters. I don't mind playing the matchup as D3, and 4God almost beat me at AUSOM4ever. I NEVER scrape up Calvin. We always have close sets. It's just a matter of playing very smart and executing.
True but 4God got scraped by Snipa in florida though. Snipa beat him 2-0 in pools, winners bracket, and losers bracket :(

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
saint calls everything broken but claims he has to put in insurmountable skill into every match that he fights.
also, imo a character is kinda broken if they have the ability to carry someone, and you get carried HARD by ic's son. lol

saint even complains about d3 being broken in that MU that is seriously the worst thing i have ever heard lol >_>

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Not level 30 yet. I just hit 11 last night, but I played it for all of one week before I left for Japan, and all of 2 days since I got back.

I'd like to think I'm okay at least.

Pr0t0

Smash Rookie
Getting good with one character is a good idea starting out. But when you eventually hit lvl 30, you'll need to be good with multiple characters due to bans and needing to fulfill certain roles. I also recommend learning to jungle soon. I can't really jungle, and it's a pretty big disadvantage. Ranked games have junglers like 95% of the time.

You guys need to hit level 30 like mad fast.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
LOL at your yoshi, George. Paul showed me that **** on his 3ds.

sn on league is Willundrskor.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
saint calls everything broken but claims he has to put in insurmountable skill into every match that he fights.
also, imo a character is kinda broken if they have the ability to carry someone, and you get carried HARD by ic's son. lol

saint even complains about d3 being broken in that MU that is seriously the worst thing i have ever heard lol >_>
I call everything broken, aye.
I remember saying that the CG is a direct measure of how much I practice, but not that it took insurmountable skill. xD

Top Bottom