• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Question: Is anyone planning on going to this?

I'm considering it, mostly because it's on the weekend of my birthday, so I'll have an excuse to travel! And I do plan on traveling. 3 spots in my car (4 if you want to be really, really cramped). It's probably thinking way far in advance, but anyone else interested?
I want to go, but 10 hours is a really really long drive.

I remember someone was talking about how they had a portable television screen that they played smash on in the car during long trips to pass the time. i need to find out how to do that

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Well mobile isn't exactly next door to us but it's closer than Huntsville. It's this coming Saturday at 4:00.
Well i thought i be able to come, but i forgot i have to go to Fort walton beach for there biweeklie this saturday, sorry bout that maybe i'll be able to go to the next one.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
I want to go, but 10 hours is a really really long drive.

I remember someone was talking about how they had a portable television screen that they played smash on in the car during long trips to pass the time. i need to find out how to do that
i know of a screen that hinges itself directly onto the Gamecube. But are you talking about playing Brawl, or any game in general?

as far as plugging the a small tv and any console into a power outlet, there's an adapter that plugs into your car's AC outlet (cigarette lighter) and has a DC outlet you can plug your console/tv into. i have one....somewhere. i don't know what happened to it >_< i wonder if they're expensive..

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
Well, I have something to say that is very much on topic. Should Huntsville wish to hold a tournament, I have found a very suitable venue. The place is clean, well-lit, close to restaurants, won't close on us, and has plenty of amenities, such as tables, chairs, a full kitchen, refrigerator, etc. Most important, this venue is free to use. I just need advance notice. I already mentioned it to Moogle, but I thought discussing it here would be a good catalyst.

I realize that we often go off-topic for a few pages, but instead of spam, I prefer to call it "a dialogue of the community". Well, some of it. For the rest: facepalm.jpg

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Heres some of the beloved Dialouge.

Sorry I had to turn you away earlier sk8t, I was fighting 7734, who is apparently one of the best DKs on the forum. I didn't want to have interference against him since I really wanted to make an impression.

The results of the fight were about equal, I think out of 7 or so fights I may have had one more victory against him, but I'm not ready to take much glory since we had enough lag between us to be a factor.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
It sounds good. Almost too good. There must be some horrible, plague-bearing catch.

But in all honesty, a tournament in Hunstville could possibly be the best thing to happen to the south. It's centrally located for Tenn., GA, and Miss. players to a degree and it'll put Alabama on the map! D:

But hey, I'd go to it!

Majist

Smash Journeyman
i just saved all of those. i lol'd so hard, mainly because i just finished that game. it did remind me how **** annoying that game was. and yet, i still loved it. i don't understand. i think it's just cuz Ganon is such a pimp in Windwaker, it makes it worthwhile. plus, the final fight.
Heres some of the beloved Dialouge.

Sorry I had to turn you away earlier sk8t, I was fighting 7734, who is apparently one of the best DKs on the forum. I didn't want to have interference against him since I really wanted to make an impression.

The results of the fight were about equal, I think out of 7 or so fights I may have had one more victory against him, but I'm not ready to take much glory since we had enough lag between us to be a factor.
lag is always a factor online. no glory is ever to be had. Play Melee.

EDIT: but since you're online right now, would you like to get in a few matches? i can only do 4 or 5, but yeah. we need to fight!

EDIT EDIT: okay i have more time now, since i'm not going anywhere. :grin:

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Well I have to admit, I expect our fights to be comparisons of Ike and DK on stages like Smashville and Battlefield. I didn't expect to eat a bunch of projectiles from Link, Toon Link, and Zelda on stages like Castle Siege, Halberd, and most of all Norfair.
It was really annoying, mainly because we only had one Ike ditto match and it was the most fun match.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Well I have to admit, I expect our fights to be comparisons of Ike and DK on stages like Smashville and Battlefield. I didn't expect to eat a bunch of projectiles from Link, Toon Link, and Zelda on stages like Castle Siege, Halberd, and most of all Norfair.
It was really annoying, mainly because we only had one Ike ditto match and it was the most fun match.
those stages are all tourney legal. and i love them:grin:

we only had one ike ditto??? dang. that was a fun match. all of those matches were fun, in fact. you've got a pretty sick DK. I was disappointed in myself playing your Ike. I was so careless getting hit by all those fairs off the stage and other things i know i shouldn't have fallen for.

we'll get more Ike dittos next time. gg's. i would have kept going with you but i have to get up at 3am. that's quite a buzz kill.

i have realized that it is impossible for me to use Ness online.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Yeah I had to realize the same thing about my Lucas. Personally it would not have been a big deal character wise if I just wasn't so bent on using DK and Ike. Those guys have very little defense against projectile spammage. Yeah I know the stages are legal lol. I personally like Norfair as a "fun" stage though, that round we played on it PISSED ME OFF. I lost all 3 stocks from the enviroment, (in the beginning of the fight I didn't even know you could grab most of the ledges???} and despite you getting caught out side the safety cell like twice, the tidal wave didn't hit you. I flung my chair after I managed to get you down to your last stock and though that I was going to be able to make a comeback, and then some random lava spew decided I shouldn't. At least it was playing Golden Sun music...

Well, you've certainly proven your skill one way or another. Next time we fight I'll use Lucario, Falco, Toony, and Wolf. Oh and maybe Luigi, gotta love that guy.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
It's cool, Shannon. I actually really enjoyed Wind Waker, especially it's high style and expressive animations. I even liked the sailing. It's only true flaw was that it had to live up to the expectations of a Zelda game.

And I completely agree about Ness's online game. He's just slower somehow and you can botch a recovery completely if you have a lag spike.

anomaly

Smash Apprentice
Well, I have something to say that is very much on topic. Should Huntsville wish to hold a tournament, I have found a very suitable venue. The place is clean, well-lit, close to restaurants, won't close on us, and has plenty of amenities, such as tables, chairs, a full kitchen, refrigerator, etc. Most important, this venue is free to use. I just need advance notice. I already mentioned it to Moogle, but I thought discussing it here would be a good catalyst.
This would be absolutely incredible. How big of a tournament were you thinking? If you wanted a decent size one, it looks like June 14th or 28th might be good dates (thats just based on the front page of atl south). You might could go ahead and make an interest check thread to try and claim the date.
If you were thinking smaller though, ASAP would be cool.

Also, you have to ask yourself, which tournament would it be for, BRAWL or MELEE?? <insert imminent thread chaos here> :ohwell:

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
@anomaly: there's no reason Huntsville shouldn't do something, especially in the summer when i'd imagine people are more available. as for the details? you got me. i have no idea what would be best. i do know that i would petition the support locals and see what sticks.

@Duchock: I know. truth is, I have so much fun playing Ness, especially in Brawl, that i keep playing him online in spite of myself. don't let me discourage you. that picture is hilarious, by the way.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm thinking about having a Brawl tournament at the park clubhouse I used in December. How would you guys feel about that?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Here's my thoughts: keep it in the summer. I froze my butt off last time... but then again, smart me was wearing shorts, so take my cold-nature with a grain of salt. But then again, it could be even worse if it's on a hot-as-dogs summer day. But either way, that's not important; tempurature isn't really a prime concern of any smashers!

It's a bit of a drive from where I am now, but the last one was pretty great, so it's certainly worth it. And bring back the pizza! It was a Godsend since I don't recall many food joints being closeby.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Silly me, double-posting. Here, I'll make it up to you with this:

If you keep up with the Internet, you're probably familiar with the precipitating phalises on Second Life. If you're not, here's a short version: person makes living by selling e-property, said person is publicly interviewed via in-game avatars, "terrorist group" causes it to rain *****. Well, apparently, someone thought it would be funny to do this in real life... and in Russia. Check this link for a very NSFW image and video.

Edit: OKAY, Well it seems like smashboards wants to blur out my URL. So instead, it's now a tinyurl. JUST REMEMBER. YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO SEE WHEN YOU LOOK AT THIS. YOU CAN'T UNSEE IT. DON'T BLAME ME!

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I had to realize the same thing about my Lucas. Personally it would not have been a big deal character wise if I just wasn't so bent on using DK and Ike. Those guys have very little defense against projectile spammage. Yeah I know the stages are legal lol. I personally like Norfair as a "fun" stage though, that round we played on it PISSED ME OFF. I lost all 3 stocks from the enviroment, (in the beginning of the fight I didn't even know you could grab most of the ledges???} and despite you getting caught out side the safety cell like twice, the tidal wave didn't hit you. I flung my chair after I managed to get you down to your last stock and though that I was going to be able to make a comeback, and then some random lava spew decided I shouldn't. At least it was playing Golden Sun music...

Well, you've certainly proven your skill one way or another. Next time we fight I'll use Lucario, Falco, Toony, and Wolf. Oh and maybe Luigi, gotta love that guy.
you can grab all of the outside ledges of Norfair. and the tidal wave didn't hit me because i'm just that awesome:grin: you can dodge it by grabbing a ledge at the right time or air-dodging. And i have Golden Sun's theme maxed out on the probability gauge. It's so pimp. Everything else is either a fourth of the gauge or at zero. That stage just doesn't feel right without Golden Sun.

and for the record, Isaac would have made a fantastic character. screw ROB. XP
This would be absolutely incredible. How big of a tournament were you thinking? If you wanted a decent size one, it looks like June 14th or 28th might be good dates (thats just based on the front page of atl south). You might could go ahead and make an interest check thread to try and claim the date.
If you were thinking smaller though, ASAP would be cool.

Also, you have to ask yourself, which tournament would it be for, BRAWL or MELEE?? <insert imminent thread chaos here> :ohwell:
i agree. i forgot to mention what i great idea i thought you had come up with, Rob.

and i believe the decision whether it would be Brawl or Melee is up to you. Personally, i don't care. I would go to either. It's in Huntsville, for crying out loud. We're going to go regardless of which game we play (at least we Huntsvillians will)
omg, best picture ever
Here's my thoughts: keep it in the summer. I froze my butt off last time... but then again, smart me was wearing shorts, so take my cold-nature with a grain of salt. But then again, it could be even worse if it's on a hot-as-dogs summer day. But either way, that's not important; tempurature isn't really a prime concern of any smashers!

It's a bit of a drive from where I am now, but the last one was pretty great, so it's certainly worth it. And bring back the pizza! It was a Godsend since I don't recall many food joints being closeby.
on the contrary, if it's too cold, i can't play. i don't mind how hot it gets, but i hate it when the room is cold and my hands just can't do what i want them to do. ugh. such a terrible feeling.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
reflex you should have a tournament. the only brawl tournaments i've been to have been waba's and think their lack of interesting/good smashers and poor advertising/planning is slowing ruining my brawl experience

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
reflex you should have a tournament. the only brawl tournaments i've been to have been waba's and think their lack of interesting/good smashers and poor advertising/planning is slowing ruining my brawl experience
The one I went to had great people and was reasonably well run, but still left me heavily dissatisfied. I can't speak for you, but it was definitely Brawl that ruined my Brawl experience.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
The one I went to had great people and was reasonably well run, but still left me heavily dissatisfied. I can't speak for you, but it was definitely Brawl that ruined my Brawl experience.
the first one was fine, except for the fact that the tourney started two hours late...but everyone since that has had less than half the people and even less people that I knew/are regulars in the smash community in the area

I really don't care if its Melee, Brawl or if its a Super Spike V-Ball tourney. the people and the atmosphere are what makes it fun for me.

To be honest, I 'm pretty sure what's ruining my Brawl experience is the fact that almost no one i respect as a player, likes it or takes it seriously. making the fact that I'm actually good at it not worth anything.

So in that case, reflex, you should maybe have a Melee tourney. Or both!

-Chad-

Slackerator

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Totally, cause when you actually catch someone in melee, you can actually do more than one hit.

Behold brawl's meta game

1: Cort ($435.60) (Snake)
2: PC Chris ($237.60) (Snake)
3: Nuro ($118.80) (Snake)
4: Jinx (Metaknight)
5: Solid Jake (Snake)
5: Darc (Snake)
lol well the character balance is nothing I'm going to argue for in brawl. one thing I like about Melee is every character is for the most part playable.

in brawl, every character is playable

unless your fighting mk or snake

in melee skill determined the winner more than character. but winning in brawl depends a lot of knowing the characters and not just general skill at the game

anywayyyysss
h-ville and everyone else. i'm getting used to melee again. i want to redeem myself from the horrible play you've been seeing recently

SunriseW12

Smash Apprentice
I really like smash and everything, It's my favorite multiplayer game ever. Its the one game that I actually got good at that had a halfway decent competitive scene.

The problem is, like I have said before, my location. There is just no one to play. So when I heard brawl had online, I was pretty stoked. I would FINALLY, after literally years (dont judge by the join date) of playing the cpu and getting as best as I could at smash, I would at last get to play someone that would pose a threat to me.

But alas, brawl has received mixed views from the entire smash community, and once again melee is the way to go. Meaning once again I am left to the obscurity of posting on smashboards like I actually know what the hell is going on and playing the cpu. I actually like brawl. I mean it is definitely different than melee but it's not a complete piece of crap as far as competitive goes. But oh well.

But no matter how bad it gets, I am not resorting to playing halo or wow. I guess I'll... pick up a musical instrument or something.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
I really like smash and everything, It's my favorite multiplayer game ever. Its the one game that I actually got good at that had a halfway decent competitive scene.

The problem is, like I have said before, my location. There is just no one to play. So when I heard brawl had online, I was pretty stoked. I would FINALLY, after literally years (dont judge by the join date) of playing the cpu and getting as best as I could at smash, I would at last get to play someone that would pose a threat to me.

But alas, brawl has received mixed views from the entire smash community, and once again melee is the way to go. Meaning once again I am left to the obscurity of posting on smashboards like I actually know what the hell is going on and playing the cpu. I actually like brawl. I mean it is definitely different than melee but it's not a complete piece of crap as far as competitive goes. But oh well.

But no matter how bad it gets, I am not resorting to playing halo or wow. I guess I'll... pick up a musical instrument or something.
well said. be a drummer.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Totally, cause when you actually catch someone in melee, you can actually do more than one hit.

Behold brawl's meta game

1: Cort ($435.60) (Snake)
2: PC Chris ($237.60) (Snake)
3: Nuro ($118.80) (Snake)
4: Jinx (Metaknight)
5: Solid Jake (Snake)
5: Darc (Snake)
I can do more than one hit...and I don't think that it's that imbalanced. In fact, I feel that the game has a lot more going for it in the balance department than Melee did, but I jumped into the Melee scene when everything was already discovered.

j00t

Smash Champion
Warios can combo pretty well. Wario ftw!

Also, Reflex, we should fight online sometime. PT dittos. I gotta atleast play you once before I give up on Brawl.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
I can do more than one hit...and I don't think that it's that imbalanced. In fact, I feel that the game has a lot more going for it in the balance department than Melee did, but I jumped into the Melee scene when everything was already discovered.
Some characters can do more than one one hit true enough, but the balance of the game of brawl in my opinion is almost as bad as melee. just look at the top 5. And true enough those aren't the only characters who can get top 5, but the ones you will see often, just like in melee. They can try, but no fighting game can be balanced, if they they came up with a balanced fighting game that game will be perfect and there is no such thing as balance or perfection.

3GOD

Smash Ace
lol well the character balance is nothing I'm going to argue for in brawl. one thing I like about Melee is every character is for the most part playable.

in brawl, every character is playable

unless your fighting mk or snake

in melee skill determined the winner more than character. but winning in brawl depends a lot of knowing the characters and not just general skill at the game
These things are mostly true, but even Snake and Meta Knight have some characters that can go toe-to-toe with them...the sad part though is that these characters have some HARD counters that are commonly played.

I wonder what period of time would be considered adequate for determining that MK and Snake will totally dominate Brawl and if the community would ever consider banning these two from competition. I'm not for it personally, but at least for now they are winning more than twice as much as any other character. Of course, this is due in large part to the fact that a lot of people are playing MK and Snake. Perhaps a ban for the sake of diversity would be good...or just make them Top Tier and host a "Low Tier" tournament :).

Yes, Wario is really fun to play because he actually can combo! I don't know how the balance compares to Melee yet...still a bit too early to tell I think. If a few Snake/MK free tournaments were hosted, perhaps we could see what the game would be like without them. That said, I'm still against the outright ban of these characters for now.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
It's starting to feel like a lot of each characters worth in Brawl right now is how good their projectlies are, and how good there defenses against projectiles are. After that it becomes a juggling offense and juggling defense competetion. It seems odd to me now looking back at some old Melee videos just how much the game really has changed.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
@Sk8orDie: We need to talk to moogle more about this tournament idea, because i have been wanting to do this for a while, and he's the only on among us who would be taken seriously if we posted a thread for a tourny. I think we should do Melee, just because i have more fun playing that game, but i'm up for a brawl tourny aswell. It might make actually learn to play it a bit better. But if you've found a great place, we really need to look into holding a tourny. I'd be extremely supportive of this and help in anyway i can.

T1J i look forward to playing you again, i'm going to work on my tech skill so i can actually pull off those falco combo's.

What day are we gonna smash this week, i'm working everyday this week except friday, and i also get off at 5 on saturday. So is saturday good for everyone?

Top Bottom