• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Tripping - Now without video proof (yet again)...

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Yeah, you are right. My bad, this was probably posted in the thread already.

Perhaps this is why Yuna thinks air tripping exists? I haven't heard anyone else talking about it, and it sure as hell fooled me.

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman

Perhaps this is why Yuna thinks air tripping exists? I haven't heard anyone else talking about it, and it sure as hell fooled me.
Yeah. I actually posted a video where I though someone air tripped as well, but I too was wrong lol.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer

Because unless I glitched the game or something, I've air tripped... in the SSE among other places. And while getting dashattacked by someone.

joshwalker

Smash Rookie
I think tripping or "Air tripping" will add another aspect of the game. No one wanted tripping, but I think it was another thing for competitors to steer clear from (which will be challenge).

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
- Important Info: Video Proof -

I think tripping or "Air tripping" will add another aspect of the game. No one wanted tripping, but I think it was another thing for competitors to steer clear from (which will be challenge).
Competitors should be finding challenge in attacking the opponent while staying clear of opposing attacks...not randomly falling on their butts. ><

On another, more productive note.... I now possess what I believe to be video evidence that air tripping does indeed exist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH8nXjorFK8

Before people freak out about this, I've been playing Brawl for what's close to three weeks now and this is the first time I have seen me or any of my friends do anything like this. I personally believe that this is either a LOW percent chance after pushing forward all the way (talking like .001 or something stupid like that). If its cause does indeed occur for the same reasons tripping does, I believe that its a glitch in the game. No way would they implement something with that low of a percent.

If you notice in the video before dropping down I am at the tip of my ledge doing my "woah I'm going to fall" animation. Maybe this could have to do with me being on the ledge like that...or me falling through a platform. In this video...I don't recall my exact inputs onto the controller... all I know is I was going to try and get back and follow up with a neutral A. So...I guess the logical inputs would be down/left/maybe a preemptive A.

Again, please don't freak out about this. Let's just try to figure it out. The trip starts at the eight second mark.

Edit: Another thing I now noticed is that I was at 140%. When doing my tests I'm going to be placing myself at 999% just to make sure it's not percentage-based. Sadly, even while at 999% percent I can't seem to replicate this. Without some idea as to what makes this happen...I really don't know what to do to test it at this point.

Edit 2: A while back there was a bunch of people that complained about the picture and icon being to large next to the percentage...up until now I have never agreed. In my video when I (Sonic) reach the part of the screen where the percent is at it looks like I do a forward A. If that's the case then you can still do moves out of it. Maybe there is a small point of time when this air tripping happens that you can't react?

Another thought is that maybe you can only use A moves afterwards. If you look at the animation I fall into (the tumbling), you will notice that's the same animation that Sonic goes into after using his Up+B. After an Up+B you can't use any B moves...only A moves. That would explain why I didn't do anything for a few seconds, I was probably shocked that my Up+B suddenly was unusable. After realizing that I remember trying to spam the controllers buttons to get out of it (thus the forward air?). If your move options are the same as after an Up+B and the falling animation is the same as well, maybe this air tripping has something to do with the Up+B?

Keep in mind these are all just ideas that I am tossing out while trying to figure this out. Work with them but don't assume they are correct.

=Snake=

Smash Cadet
I'm watching this vid over and over, I can't believe what I'm seeing but there's no question Sonic trips mid-air at the 8 second mark. You'll have to forgive me, Ive only used sonic once during a novelty match just to get a feel of his fighting style, but can Sonic continuously use his UpB even if a spring remains on the stage? and if not, did you have a spring somewhere off to the side that prevented you from using another?

I'm just hoping there's a logical explanation for this video because it's horrifying

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
That looks like a full-on tumble (like when you get smashed) rather than normal Helpless mode you get from most up special moves. I am shocked, everything about this video proves this has nothing to do with being attacked or hitting the ground a certain way, clearly it began midair.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I feel like the Peach thing might be because you're really close to the floor and that registers it enough for a trip? I really have no idea.

As for the Sonic thing, could be an air trip, could be something weird with a spring, I dunno.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
I'm watching this vid over and over, I can't believe what I'm seeing but there's no question Sonic trips mid-air at the 8 second mark. You'll have to forgive me, Ive only used sonic once during a novelty match just to get a feel of his fighting style, but can Sonic continuously use his UpB even if a spring remains on the stage? and if not, did you have a spring somewhere off to the side that prevented you from using another?

I'm just hoping there's a logical explanation for this video because it's horrifying
Sonics Up+B works like anyone else's , you can use it once until you either land on the ground again or get hit.

I still have yet to do anything like this again...but I really can't help but think it has something to do with the Up+B (not sonic in particular, the entire concept of an air trip). The animation is the exact same animation as after using the Up+B...and the move options are the same (only A moves can be used).

I'm not really sure how I am going to test it...but I'm going to mess around with it some more focusing on the Up+B.

Edit: I have replicated that scene in the video over quite a few times now (even down to the leaning over the platform)...still nothing. I honestly think that if this was supposed to be in the game...there would be something that caused it or a reasonable percent of occurrence. Maybe this really is a glitch of some sort. If that's the case and it wasn't supposed to be in at all, maybe it can be patched out with a large enough petition. I'm not really sure if it would do anything...or honestly how often petitions work for this kind of thing. Just an idea though, hell, if nothing else maybe we could get Sakurai to explain this air tripping this to us.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I feel like the Peach thing might be because you're really close to the floor and that registers it enough for a trip? I really have no idea.

As for the Sonic thing, could be an air trip, could be something weird with a spring, I dunno.
No. Because it's not consistent like with ground gliding. And I was never close to the ground out of all the 3 times that I Air Tripped.

Sonics Up+B works like anyone else's , you can use it once until you either land on the ground again or get hit.

I still have yet to do anything like this again...but I really can't help but think it has something to do with the Up+B (not sonic in particular, the entire concept of an air trip). The animation is the exact same animation as after using the Up+B...and the move options are the same (only A moves can be used).

I'm not really sure how I am going to test it...but I'm going to mess around with it some more focusing on the Up+B.
I can't speak for you but I've personally Air Tripped thrice, all of which happened in one day. I've told you before, when it comes to beating the odds, my Peach does it in spades (2 Bob-ombs in a row? Done it plenty of times... did it two days ago in a tournament match, in fact).

* At least one of those occurences was in the Sub Space Emissary
* I'm pretty sure at least one of those times, I was floating "way above" the ground as in "Not like an Air Glide trip".
* Once, I Air Tripped after getting dash attacked by Mr. Game & Watch or some other character.
* Not once did my Air Trip have anything to do with my Up B unless it's some kind of hidden glitch that's just very similar to it.
* I always had solid ground under me all the three times that I air tripped. When I hit the floor, I was stuck in the "I just tripped animation" (I'm pretty certain of this).

So now, we finally have proof. And since yout tried to Up B (something I didn't since I was always too close to the ground to have the time to do it) without it working, we now also know that you cannot Up B after an Air Trip. Do you know if you can jump after an Air Trip? Did you spam jumps?

I could very well see this being a glitch. But I could also very well see it being programmed into the game. A lot of things have a very small chance of happening in Smash.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
Wow, this is cracked-out.
Air trips make as much sense as double-jumping, but it's just so RANDOM.
And you can't recover after it, so it's not like free invincibility frames... Not-so-good.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Do you know if you can jump after an Air Trip? Did you spam jumps?
It has only happened once to me and the first few seconds were shock. I honestly don't remember if I pressed the jump button, but I did spam the controller after it happened (thus my forward A after). I would be willing to bet you can't jump.

I could very well see this being a glitch. But I could also very well see it being programmed into the game. A lot of things have a very small chance of happening in Smash.
While I agree that smash contains a lot of small chance elements, I would think this would have some connection with the ground tripping (you said yourself that you think you landed in the "I just tripped" animation). Ground tripping is a 1% chance and something I was able to replicate over and over again. Even while searching for it I wasn't able to do it once which says to me that either I am way off on how its occurring, the chances are ridiculously low (hell, we couldn't even find a video of it with all of the online footage available lol), or it's a glitch. Seeing as nothing else occurs at such a low rate, I'm willing to say its a glitch.

lengeta

Smash Ace
Tripping's annoying, but air-tripping could be game-breaking in a way. I'm glad to here experiences with it have been extremely few and far between, and hope some factor behind it is found rather than it being completely random.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
While I agree that smash contains a lot of small chance elements, I would think this would have some connection with the ground tripping (you said yourself that you think you landed in the "I just tripped" animation). Ground tripping is a 1% chance and something I was able to replicate over and over again. Even while searching for it I wasn't able to do it once which says to me that either I am way off on how its occurring, the chances are ridiculously low (hell, we couldn't even find a video of it with all of the online footage available lol), or it's a glitch. Seeing as nothing else occurs at such a low rate, I'm willing to say its a glitch.
Either way, it's annoying. And yet another factor which might end up costing someone a match. Imagine the finals, 5,000 dollars on the line, last stock, 140% vs. 2% and then the 2%:er airtrips while edgeguarding off the edge and loses.

It doesn't matter if it's a glitch or not, it's in the game. If it is a glitch, then it's a glitch that's come to be because of the inane programming of Brawl since it's obviously connected to "normal" Tripping somehow. The mechanics of Ground Tripping paved way for the possible glitch that is Air Tripping. Had they not tried to implement this rather stupid "feature", Air Tripping most probably wouldn't come to be.

For one thing, why the Hell would you randomly get spiked by thin air (since it's not meteor cancelable, I'm assuming)?

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I wonder if Sakurai will explain this in an update. I want to know what the **** is up with all this tripping nonsense.

nice1

Smash Lord
thanx for the vid. Man that would suck if that would suck if that happened in a tourney with a lot of money on the line

MRX

Smash Cadet
Oh s- you guys call it air tripping? I thought it was regular tripping. Just to let you know that tripping in the air that you are thinking about it not necessarily in the air as one presumes. It's just basic tripping. I got interested when I saw a lot of tripping when I went to a Brawl party about 2 1/2 weeks ago and started to play around with the mechanics... and yeah, there is tripping and your "air tripping." Don't fret. I have not found a trip literally in the air as I first though when I looked at the page.

Ced The Lad

Smash Apprentice
It looks like it sends you into a tumble once you air trip. I guess there's no reliable way to practice this thanks to the randomness, but maybe people can try a tumble recovery?

MRX

Smash Cadet
It looks like it sends you into a tumble once you air trip. I guess there's no reliable way to practice this thanks to the randomness, but maybe people can try a tumble recovery?

Umm... tripping isn't that random, but more of a change on when you are dashing. I was playing around today with Ice Climbers and I made Nana trip a lot and sometimes Popo. Checking into the whole tripping is that nothing more than a probability if you are not careful on what you are doing and your character's action. I was interested if I just move the control stick crazy and up to this point, it is just probability. I recorded a few of the match I did with the Ice Climber. I'm viewing them a few more times before I upload. :dizzy:

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Umm... tripping isn't that random, but more of a change on when you are dashing. I was playing around today with Ice Climbers and I made Nana trip a lot and sometimes Popo. Checking into the whole tripping is that nothing more than a probability if you are not careful on what you are doing and your character's action. I was interested if I just move the control stick crazy and up to this point, it is just probability. I recorded a few of the match I did with the Ice Climber. I'm viewing them a few more times before I upload. :dizzy:
How is that not the definition of random? With a probability of X, sometimes, Y will happen. Sounds like something random (with a specific percentage of it happening) to me.

Guess what you can do while tumbling (without simoultaneously reeling from knockback): Up B and jump... and do moves. Which you cannot do while Air Tripping. And you also don't land on your ***. You land on your face or your back.

Oh s- you guys call it air tripping? I thought it was regular tripping. Just to let you know that tripping in the air that you are thinking about it not necessarily in the air as one presumes. It's just basic tripping. I got interested when I saw a lot of tripping when I went to a Brawl party about 2 1/2 weeks ago and started to play around with the mechanics... and yeah, there is tripping and your "air tripping." Don't fret. I have not found a trip literally in the air as I first though when I looked at the page.
Funny, 'cause I've air tripped in the air three times.

MRX

Smash Cadet
Random - lack of order, purpose, cause, or predictability in non-scientific parlance. A random process is a repeating process whose outcomes follow no describable deterministic pattern, but follow a probability distribution.

Yeah, I understand you would say random since this is unclear, however, I am still interested about the tripping. So far, personally, I have not done any air trips not did I see any during my playtime with Brawl. So far I talked to friends who I let them borrow my copy of the game and been talking with them and they didn't see any "air trips." I am positive that moving around like crazy does give a probability on a trip. However, I do remember Sakurai mentioned about tripping in the Dojo site and did blend in with Dee Dee Dee ^+B move. In any case, I'll bring my Wii over to a place where people are going to play Brawl and I'll keep a close eye and let them know to report any "air trips."

Hey Yuna, can you send a sample of how you play Brawl? I'm interested on how you play Brawl and could be the key on figuring on how this works.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, I understand you would say random since this is unclear, however, I am still interested about the tripping. So far, personally, I have not done any air trips not did I see any during my playtime with Brawl. So far I talked to friends who I let them borrow my copy of the game and been talking with them and they didn't see any "air trips." I am positive that moving around like crazy does give a probability on a trip. However, I do remember Sakurai mentioned about tripping in the Dojo site and did blend in with Dee Dee Dee ^+B move. In any case, I'll bring my Wii over to a place where people are going to play Brawl and I'll keep a close eye and let them know to report any "air trips."
No, "moving around like crazy" just gives you a higher probability of air tripping since one out of approximately every 100 taps of the control stick to the side might make you trip. I've tripped out of my very first dash at the start of a game.

Read Hitaku's thread on Tripping. He's tested it out extensively.

Hey Yuna, can you send a sample of how you play Brawl? I'm interested on how you play Brawl and could be the key on figuring on how this works.
Once it was a computer Game & Watch or some other weird character. I got dash attacked while in the air and Air Tripped immediately.

Twice, IIRC, it was in the SSE. All I did was float around for the full duration of the float repeatedly to avoid the enemies. In other words, there was no "moving around like crazy".

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
In any case, I'll bring my Wii over to a place where people are going to play Brawl and I'll keep a close eye and let them know to report any "air trips.".
Don't be disappointed if you don't see any. From the day I received Brawl (3 days after Japans release) I have been interested in working out the techs and new features. I have watched carefully for anything weird from the moment I started playing the game and to this day I have only had this happen to me once.

Like Yuna said, if you are curious about tripping, the Tripping (ink dropping) thread.

Link: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140600

On page 20, post #293, I list where you can find the data I provided.

Once it was a computer Game & Watch or some other weird character. I got dash attacked while in the air and Air Tripped immediately.
Are you sure that this wasn't just a tumble from the dash attack? From my experience the Air Trip animation was also a tumbling one. I know some attacks have a chance to cause tripping (such as Lucas's down-tilt) but I didn't think dash attacks had a chance. Just trying to rule out as many things as possible.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I did it three times in 1 day. But I've never done it since.

Why did it happen three times in one day? Because I beat the odds. 40 Bob-ombs in the span of 3 days without be spamming turnips more than usual? Two bob-ombs in a row? 3 grandfather turnips in one single game? 3 grandfather turnips, one bob-omb, a beam-sword and two Mr. Saturns in a single game?

Small potatoes that happens to me all the time. It is only logical that I would also beat the odds in Brawl and Air Trip thrice in a single day when the chances of doing it seem quite small.

It's just another sucky, sucky "feature" added into the game, glitch or not.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I swear, if I ever lose a match because of this...T_T

What if someone loses because they died via air-trip in the finals? Wow

MRX

Smash Cadet
Hrm, thanks for the link on tripping. That was the documentation I was looking for. Now I know what I am going to look for tomorrow. I believe I have narrow it down to the point of cracking this trip. Now to test it out in a few hours. Going to bed. Night.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hrm, thanks for the link on tripping. That was the documentation I was looking for. Now I know what I am going to look for tomorrow. I believe I have narrow it down to the point of cracking this trip. Now to test it out in a few hours. Going to bed. Night.
There's no way of cracking it. Even if the randomness has a percentage on it, it's still random. You can go 200 dashes without tripping... or trip on your 3rd dash. There's no way to prevent it except for simply staying still, especially since Air Tripping is also in the game.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
I swear, if I ever lose a match because of this...T_T

What if someone loses because they died via air-trip in the finals? Wow
Yeah...words can't explain what that would mean if it was finals. Only symbols like "!#@!#" . ><

I really wonder what the chances are for something like this being patched. If it is a glitch....pray to god that it's not in the American version.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you think tripping is a glitch, then please take a programming course so you can find out what a glitch is.
Hitaku thinks Air Tripping is a glitch, not normal Tripping. It might or might not be. It could be intentional (because Sakurai has proven he's not above being randomly stupid). It could also be a big glitch that's the result of a bunch of random crap.

Ground Tripping combined with other elements results in you being treated as if you've just been spiked randomly in the air. Or it could just be what I originally surmised it to be: Air Tripping.

Either way, it sucks (even if the chances of it happening are quite low) and makes Brawl even less of a competitively viable game.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Here's a happy day... I know what this is, but I don't feel like disclosing it.

Also, please stop saying that Brawl's "competitive viability" is at all compromised. You sound like a tool.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
If you think tripping is a glitch, then please take a programming course so you can find out what a glitch is.
Maybe glitch is not the correct word, or maybe you just understand how games are created better then I do. I won't lie, I really don't know much about it.

The point I was trying to make was how the chances were so much lower then anything else in this game (at least from what we know at this time). That being said, I didn't think that it was something the developers implemented on purpose. If glitch isn't the correct term then I'm not really sure what is. If you think that it is something they implemented on purpose due to your knowledge of programming, then you may very well be correct. Like I said before, I admit to not having any real technical knowledge on the matter.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer

Also, please stop saying that Brawl's "competitive viability" is at all compromised. You sound like a tool.
And I'm the tool?

Brawl's competitive viability is so compromised because of tripping, air tripping and many other things, especially when compared to Melee. No, it's not Melee 2.0, no I didn't want it to be. I'm just saying that a lot of the changes were for the worse.

Also, even though Hitaku specifically air tripped while on the ledge, I've air tripped while obviously in the air... sometimes while floating. No video footage of it, though, since I didn't save the replays. I could be wrong, maybe I saw things wrong, but I'm almost positive I air tripped as each time, I landed on my butt.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Use your own detective skills for a change. I'm sick of giving away secrets all the time.

Competitive viability only goes as far as the fanbase that is willing to play it competitively. And guess what, we have a truckload of people willing to, more than Melee was able to attract. Tripping isn't going to stop people from paying their moniess. And it's certainly not going to stop other people from putting forth the effort for a shot at winning said moniess. If you think Brawl has little "competitive viability" then you're just completely underestimating Smash's playerbase. And thus, you look/sound like a tool.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Maybe glitch is not the correct word, or maybe you just understand how games are created better then I do. I won't lie, I really don't know much about it.

The point I was trying to make was how the chances were so much lower then anything else in this game (at least from what we know at this time). That being said, I didn't think that it was something the developers implemented on purpose. If glitch isn't the correct term then I'm not really sure what is. If you think that it is something they implemented on purpose due to your knowledge of programming, then you may very well be correct. Like I said before, I admit to not having any real technical knowledge on the matter.

Well, I'm not really sure why you're not disclosing it...but I will say that I'm happy you understand it. As far as people talking about the "competitive viability" of Brawl, people are just worried. Things like this are not something that makes people happy, and it worries them when they have no logical explanation of its occurrence. I don't really believe them saying that is them actually claiming that the games competitive scene will die, more that this could really harm the fair aspects in it.

Top Bottom