• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Tripping - Now without video proof (yet again)...

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
In that video Charizard starts to glide too close to the floor, most certainly.

pirkid

Smash Lord
That indeed looks like it. Charizard simply stops, and falls, not even after being attacked.

However, to me, it looks like a stopped glide. I dunno if that's possible, but hey, we figured out how to wavedash in a year, I wouldn't expect us to not figure this out in less then a month.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
So if Charizards lands during the glide or glides too close to the ground, he'll drop down into a lying-down position? Fine *first post edited yet again*

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
He stops briefly before hitting the ground and his wings pop out into a gliding stance. Pause it a lot at around 2:45 and you can see how he clearly enters a glide and hits the ground soon after.

Not air tripping quite yet. I don't see how they could make something glitch to trip you on a landing. Like when I look for exploits in games I think of how the coding could be faulty, but there doesn't seem to be any clear-cut way of inducing an "air trip" as far as I can think of. I wouldn't -necessarily- rule this out, but I see this as being a myth and more of a trick of the eye for other things that would cause you to trip, not an inherent landing glitch.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
He stops briefly before hitting the ground and his wings pop out into a gliding stance. Pause it a lot at around 2:45 and you can see how he clearly enters a glide and hits the ground soon after.

Not air tripping quite yet. I don't see how they could make something glitch to trip you on a landing. Like when I look for exploits in games I think of how the coding could be faulty, but there doesn't seem to be any clear-cut way of inducing an "air trip" as far as I can think of. I wouldn't -necessarily- rule this out, but I see this as being a myth and more of a trick of the eye for other things that would cause you to trip, not an inherent landing glitch.
I've air tripped as Peach. Way above the ground. In the SSE where I presume the enemies don't know how to Footstool Jump as I've never seen one do it (I also Air Tripped once in Classic).

But is that how he's supposed to land? What does his Tripping animation look like? Could someone find me a vid of that?

Is he supposed to fall on his belly when he lands after a glide or initiates a glide too close to the floor? It looked like a trip (although unorthodox) to me... in the air.

Sideem Slingh

Smash Journeyman
I think it's a glide. The wings opened enough to be apparent. Duly noted in the post. Sorry for posting a wrong video :p

Anyways, good luck with finding a video with an air trip!

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Who else did you Air Trip with?
No one. But others have said they've seen people air trip or themselves air tripped with other characters. It's just that it's much more common with Peach as you float around a lot and press the control stick to control her float.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think it's a glide. The wings opened enough to be apparent. Duly noted in the post. Sorry for posting a wrong video :p

Anyways, good luck with finding a video with an air trip!
The important thing is not what Charizard was doing when it did or didn't air trip. I've air tripped while floating as Peach.

The important thing is whether or not it was an actual air trip. Is Charizard really supposed to drop down randomly onto the ground in a "lying down on your belly"-animation, complete with the option to roll to either side with invincibility frames (like with a trip) if he lands during a glide or initiates a glide too close to the ground?

Because if he isn't supposed to, that could very well have been an air trip from a glide.

pirkid

Smash Lord
Perhaps Charizard was supposed to fall like that in a failed glide.

And maybe Peach's glide now has a breaker. Maybe the "other" characters you heard about were Peach.

Afro_Ninja

Smash Apprentice
my cousin said that he saw a match where bowser just kind of stop and spun around in the air and fell, sounds like an air trip to me

although it could have been footstool, I didn't see it

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer

And maybe Peach's glide now has a breaker. Maybe the "other" characters you heard about were Peach.
1) Failed glide? Is the glide even supposed to fail?
2) Peach floats
3) She's only air tripped three times out of one gazillion floats. It's hardly a special circumstances. I also air tripped once without floating.
4) These "other" characters include, among others, Marth, not just Peach. Marth has neither a float nor a glide.

Could you just answer the question? Is the glide supposed to work like that? Or was that a possible air trip since Charizard isn't supposed to do that from a glide?

S2

Smash Lord
Maybe its Peach only thing.

Since she can float, perhaps its a mechanic that punishes her for something.

Oh well, I'm still hoping that we find an exact reason why people trip (as opposed to what we currently believe, that its just random).

At least then we'd have the info, so it would be the player's fault if he fulfilled the trip conditions.

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
There's supposed to be a fall-down animation if you glide into the ground as Charizard.
If you look around on some of the game mechanics threads Slingh is right. I think someone specifically indicated that failing to glide cancel before landing will result in a landing "on your belly," very explicitly stated. So the issue with Charizard is resolved. Perhaps the Peach float has similar physics to the glide, or they tried to rehash some glide coding or vice versa with it and it causes a little glitch when you land.

If you have a video, I'd like to see this. But whether or not this is an intended characteristic or a glitch is up in the air until we can determine the exact cause.

And mind, come to think of it, when I think about this in terms of "how to screw the game up," using the float to screw up the landing makes sense to me. It's one of those things that you wouldn't think about when you're designing the game. Like a special case that doesn't have a solution, so it just defaults to a trip or something. When I get my hands on a copy of the game, I'll test around for ways to ruin it and see if this comes up.

Oh, and about regular tripping that s2 mentioned. As far as I can tell only from watching, it LOOKS like it happens most frequently when you just dash around frequently without attacking, jump attacking, etc. Basically it affects you most when dash dancing or pivoting while running frequently without performing any other action in between. I HAVE seen it trip on launch at times, but that's significantly rarer.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Sorry for the huge wall of text, just passing on information.

By breaker, do you mean a move or command that causes peach to fall while floating? There is no way to do anything like that with Peach to my knowledge. I tried various combinations while in float.

Oh, and about regular tripping that s2 mentioned. As far as I can tell only from watching, it LOOKS like it happens most frequently when you just dash around frequently without attacking, jump attacking, etc. Basically it affects you most when dash dancing or pivoting while running frequently without performing any other action in between. I HAVE seen it trip on launch at times, but that's significantly rarer.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140600
Tripping has nothing to do with anything mentioned above.
1% Chance to trip when doing a dash and or when doing a smash attack without the C-Stick.

Oh well, I'm still hoping that we find an exact reason why people trip (as opposed to what we currently believe, that its just random).

At least then we'd have the info, so it would be the player's fault if he fulfilled the trip conditions.
It pains me to say this, but if I can trip by pressing the joystick forward 1-100 times (like stated above, its a 1% chance, so it could technically be more), then sadly it's random.

Could you just answer the question? Is the glide supposed to work like that? Or was that a possible air trip since Charizard isn't supposed to do that from a glide?
I was able to replicate this. Charizard does fall on his stomach in the video that after doing a glide as long as he does nothing else. This is part of his glide's design, not a Air Trip as others stated before me.

As far as Air Tripping, does it act like the old Air dodges of Melee in which you can't act after doing one? I have tested this all throughout today with a friend (both of us playing as Peach). I have been trying to replicate this, but so far I have not been able to. For the times that you did this in SSE, could you please tell me the areas that it happened in? Possible screen shots would be amazingly helpful if thats possible. I will get back to you guys once I have some results. =/

Edit: Above you stated that you have done (or heard that others have done) this Air Trip with Marth...I am curious as to what you/they were doing when this occurred. It's important that we know if it's you that has done this with other characters. Third party opinion is a sketchy thing and seeing as this has never really happened to anyone else (that we know of) its more reasonable to think that its something that only happens with Peach.

Also, like I stated in the tripping thread, when you trip on ground you are given a certain amount of invincibility frames up until you land on your butt. These frames, like the ones when edge hopping, cause your character to flash a little. If this was indeed an Air Trip and not something like a footstool hop, I would expect it to do the same (at least for a little while). Do you recall anything like that?

Edit2: I decided to do some footstool hops on peach to see if it worked the same while floating as it does normally. I discovered that when in float, if someone footstool hops on peaches head, the character will jump like normal, but nothing will happen to peach. She will remain air born until the float is over. This tells us that Yuna couldn't have been footstool hopped if he was indeed floating when this Air Trip happened.

When it comes to actually footstool hopping peach (when she is not in a float), it seems that characters land on their backs when hopped on, rather then their butts. If what Yuna said was correct, and the fall ended on Peach's butt, this also couldn't be a footstool hop.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
As far as Air Tripping, does it act like the old Air dodges of Melee in which you can't act after doing one? I have tested this all throughout today with a friend (both of us playing as Peach). I have been trying to replicate this, but so far I have not been able to. For the times that you did this in SSE, could you please tell me the areas that it happened in? Possible screen shots would be amazingly helpful if thats possible. I will get back to you guys once I have some results. =/
All three times, they were so random and sudden I didn't have the time to try to jump out of them.

I simply dropped down from my float (once I wasn't even floating) into my "You just tripped"-animation. Also, IIRC, I tripped at least once without even attempting to land. It was during a float (hence not comparable to a glide-trip).

Edit: Above you stated that you have done (or heard that others have done) this Air Trip with Marth...I am curious as to what you/they were doing when this occurred. It's important that we know if it's you that has done this with other characters. Third party opinion is a sketchy thing and seeing as this has never really happened to anyone else (that we know of) its more reasonable to think that its something that only happens with Peach.
I was just moving forward as Peach. I'm assuming Air Tripping works the same as normal tripping.

Also, like I stated in the tripping thread, when you trip on ground you are given a certain amount of invincibility frames up until you land on your butt. These frames, like the ones when edge hopping, cause your character to flash a little. If this was indeed an Air Trip and not something like a footstool hop, I would expect it to do the same (at least for a little while). Do you recall anything like that?
Yes, it was exactly like that (IIRC).

Edit2: I decided to do some footstool hops on peach to see if it worked the same while floating as it does normally. I discovered that when in float, if someone footstool hops on peaches head, the character will jump like normal, but nothing will happen to peach. She will remain air born until the float is over. This tells us that Yuna couldn't have been footstool hopped if he was indeed floating when this Air Trip happened.
Thank you. We've finally settled that.

When it comes to actually footstool hopping peach (when she is not in a float), it seems that characters land on their backs when hopped on, rather then their butts. If what Yuna said was correct, and the fall ended on Peach's butt, this also couldn't be a footstool hop.
It looked very much like Peach lands on her butt to me (exact same animation as when he trips on the ground). She did not land with a the opposite to a Face Plant (whatever that's called) if that's what you're talking about.

She got stuck in that animation for a little while, not being able to move (like with a trip) and then I rolled to the side.

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6ibBGUDZmdw

I can't confirm this is an air trip since I've never seen one, but at roughly 32 seconds, it looks like Snake falls through a platform and just faceplants into the ground lol.

Edit: Nevermind, seems like thats either his crouch or how he lands from higher falls.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Two days of playing Peach (other then online matches) and I have yet to replicate this. At this point I am not sure what to say. If I can test for hours upon hours then even if it is something that exists I don't think we need to worry about it to much. If anyone can provide me with any kind of video or any additional information...I would be happy to do more tests. As it is now though I don't feel like I am making any form of progression with it. I'll still be keeping up to date with this thread.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
I apologize for the double post, with smash boards acting how they have been its hard to avoid sometimes.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
Quote from the Dojo today:
If your opponent unleashes the Negative Zone, at least try to stay in the air. While aloft you won’t suddenly sleep, slip, or start taunting.
I think this pretty much deconfirms air tripping/slipping.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Yeah, this is a blatant lie as Luigi's Final Smash does put air borne playes to sleep. They fall down and die.
I'm not sure that you're correct. I believe the sleep that you're talking about is the Dizziness effect. If you notice, when you're in the air and fall, once on the ground you have the Dizziness effect rather then the sleeping effect. This fall also places you on your back rather then on your butt.

"While aloft you won’t suddenly sleep, slip, or start taunting" - Super Smash Bros Dojo

This says nothing about becoming Dizzy in air.

This Slipping that the Dojo talks about is indeed Tripping. Judging by the fact that I searched for an Air Trip for around 2 days with no luck and the comment "If your opponent unleashes the Negative Zone, at least try to stay in the air. While aloft you won’t suddenly sleep, slip, or start taunting." from the Dojo, I personally do not believe there is an Air Trip.
This is what I posted in the Tripping thread in response to someone asking about it. This is my personal opinion on the matter.

All I can say in regards to what happened to you in game, Yuna...is that maybe you just didn't notice the cause of you're fall. I know when I got the game for the first two days there was a lot of stuff I thought was happening that I later ruled out. Maybe a combination of not expecting/being overwhelmed by the new game made you think something happened a little different then it did.

Also, please keep in mind that this is only my personal opinion. My offer still stands that if anyone can find something like this on video/can describe how its done in a different event, I will try and test it some more.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
You can't be dizzied in the air, though. I mean, you have no shield in the air and therefore no shield to break. You also don't fly up as if you were just shieldbroken. You also don't drop down like a rock.

IIRC, you can't do anything if you fall "asleep" in the air due to the Negative Zone. You simply drop down (and die if there's a chasm below you).

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
You can't be dizzied in the air, though. I mean, you have no shield in the air and therefore no shield to break. You also don't fly up as if you were just shieldbroken. You also don't drop down like a rock.

IIRC, you can't do anything if you fall "asleep" in the air due to the Negative Zone. You simply drop down (and die if there's a chasm below you).
This is the main reason I think this is becoming dizzy in the air rather then sleeping. Every time you fall, you will gain the dizziness effect. Seeing as after every fall you gain the dizziness effect, the two things seem to be connected. While its true you do not have a shield to be broken in the air, watch yourself become dizzy while still on ground from Luigi's Final Smash. When you become dizzy inside and on the ground, you don't follow the same rule as shield breaking dizziness either. You are just effected the same as after falling rather then flying up as if your shield was broken.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
When you become dizzy inside and on the ground, you don't follow the same rule as shield breaking dizziness either. You are just effected the same as after falling rather then flying up as if your shield was broken.
Yeah, so I worded it wrong :p.

You become dizzy while on the ground and the air. No sleep involved :p. Then it's not a blatant lie, just really misleading as you can't possibly fall asleep from the Negative Zone.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Then it's not a blatant lie, just really misleading as you can't possibly fall asleep from the Negative Zone.
Not trying to pick at your post, just trying to clarify things. ><

You can still fall asleep in the Negative Zone, just not while in the air. Just making sure that you knew.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I think I just found Video Proof of air tripping.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E39L-T7lhQ
Take a Look at Marth a 0:40. He jumps from the ground to the platform, but right before he gets to the platform, he trips and falls on his back.
Looks like Air Tripping is real.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
there is proof at youtube, i saw it!!!
Too late, I already posted it.

K, now we have the official seal of Approval and a good description:
Air Tripping- similar to tripping, you flip and fall on your back Mid air. We do not know the cause as of yet. We assume this is something Sakurai threw in to be an *** and piss the f*ck out of us.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I hope there is a way to do this and that it's not random. It's annoying enough that tripping on the ground is random... and it gives air tripping a chance to be random too :/

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I think that was still regular tripping, let me explain.

Marth was right next to the platform before tripping. This leads me to believe this is connected to how the Bowser and Kirby infinite jumps work. The game can think you're on the ground when you are just above it.

This theory can be tested by smashing the control stick forward while in the air at the peak of your jump, when not next to a platform. Then do another test of smashing the control stick forward just before you land.

EDIT: it was only a footstool jump.

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that's a footstool jump. I think the most particular player in question right here is Peach, and with Hitaku testing around with no finds, even accidental, I feel like this will be a VERY minor problem if anything. Sort of like Toon Link's down smash glitch.

So Air Tripping is still ruled as a "no" until further proof. Observe the proximity of characters to each other before citing something as an air trip (it's probably an FSJ), and also watch for a very brief gliding animation as that may appear as an air trip as well.

Top Bottom