• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ahoy, Matey! Tetra Support Thread

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Tetra moveset:

Neutral B: KABOOM!
Tetra summons a cannon that shoots three bombs in an arc.

Side B: Seagull Summoner
Tetra holds up a pear and a seagull can be controlled.
The Pear can be thrown for a powerful swoop attack that ends the attack.

Sometimes Tetra holds up a Goddess Pearl that summons a Triforce, a bomb that can be thrown, a random spoil that acts as a simple throwable item or bait that summons Mapfish for a poisoning Goop-attack.

Up B: Forsaken Cannon
Tetra shoots herself to the stage with a cannon.

Down B: Swabby's Swing
Tetra summons a pole and swings a Grappling Hook around it.
The rope now hangs still, dealing fire damage to everybody touching the lantern at the bottom.
Tetra can use the rope to play Tarzan and to make the rope swing around.

In the air, Tetra swings her Grappling Hook, dealing damage at the tip and grabbing the ledge.

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
It could even have the little sound effect you get from the counter move in Wind Waker when it activates.

Could you tell me how this suggestion might work from your perspective? Would it extend the amount of room you have to fight at the edge of the stage for a short period of time? Would other characters be able to use it too? Can it take damage from attacks causing it to break? It sounds like an interesting move.
That would work well as a custom move for use in Team Smash matches with it's ability to save teammates and opportunities to follow opponents offstage and get back safely.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Could you tell me how this suggestion might work from your perspective? Would it extend the amount of room you have to fight at the edge of the stage for a short period of time? Would other characters be able to use it too? Can it take damage from attacks causing it to break? It sounds like an interesting move.
What I'm imagining is an odd prop that acts as a pseudo ledge. Let's say it's Tetra's Side Special. When you use it on the ground, Tetra just slams a short, flat, wooden plank down in front of her. It's a quick attack, with the entire plank serving as a hitbox that pops opponents upward with low knockback growth (or set knockback entirely). Since it comes out quick, has disjointed range, and deals low knockback, it's a great combo starter on-stage. Off-stage, its use would be completely different. When used in the air, Tetra would slam the plank down in front of her. This would be a very weak meteor that would rarely net a KO on its own, but every now and then it helps set up for a footstall gimp.

Outside of its uses as an attack, if Tetra were to connect the plank with the edge of any type of platform, whether she's on the ground or airborne, the plank would be placed over the ledge and "extend" it, the distance determined by Tetra's positioning with the move. This would not only extend the length of the platform, but it would also create a new grabbable ledge that juts out in front of the real one (if one exists), replacing it. It would serve as a one-way platform that can be passed through from below, but not from above. While opponents could simply recover through it, this allows Tetra an easy punish, so they'd either have to destroy it and grab the normal ledge (let's say it has 8-10% HP), or alter the way they recover by aiming closer to the end of the plank. Either way, it puts things into Tetra's favor against recovering opponents, but still requires quick decision-making on her part to make the most of. Tetra wouldn't be able to place a plank down on the ledge if the opponent is occupying it while under invincibility, but in cases where they no longer have ledge invincibility, it would just ledge trump them and bump them off, albeit with some damage.

The plank would also give Tetra new ground to work with. For example, let's assume she's a ground-based fighter with a weaker aerial presence. Maybe her dash attack is a somersault that lets her roll off of ledges into an aerial state. Extending the stage would allow her to roll off the plank, transition into an aerial to gimp far deeper than she'd normally be able to, then return back to the ledge more easily, since it's closer. In another scenario, the ledge extending closer to the blast zone means that Tetra can pressure her opponent closer to the side of the screen while on-stage to net an easier KO with one of her ground moves, allowing her playstyle to revolve greatly around bullying the opponent around and prodding them off-stage, just like a pirate captain forcing his captives to "walk the plank". Extending the stage's length comes with its own gambles, though, since a closer ledge means the opponent can recover from farther away, just like Tetra herself, and if Tetra starts losing out in the neutral game, she's just as liable to be KO'd early if she finds herself prodded close to the blast zone.

Edit: Forgot an important detail. The plank wouldn't be bolted down to the platform or anything, so players hanging onto the end for too long cause it to teeter and tilt off-stage. Heavier characters have a greater effect on this, and if held too long, the plank simply falls off, which puts the player into a tumble state or something similar.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Do pirates in Japanese Media use planks? Is it a thing over there? I don't watch One Piece so I wouldn't know.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Wow, glad y'all like my plank idea haha, would certainly make Tetra a more unique fighter! But instead of character's weight effecting it, I'd just make it simpler by having the plank fall apart after 12 seconds or so and only a limit of 3 grabs before it breaks off and the last person who grabbed it goes into a short tumble.

I think that should balance it nicely, yeah? Good Tetra players would want to plant one, and grab it again to use it a second time so the 3rd time will effect their opponent negatively, but this takes a lil extra time and sacrifices your ledge invincibility so you may get punished hard.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I'm no artist, but tried to draw Tetra in Smash to explain some of my suggested moves better. Here's the plank!

After Tetra is launched away she double jumps and starts up the plank move. A side-b I suppose?
HNI_0023.JPG

She lands it successfully! The plank is attached!
HNI_0025.JPG

And she's automatically hanging from the ledge she extended, effectively distancing herself from danger.
HNI_0021.JPG

And the plank can be walked on, the original ledge is just walking space, the ledge is extended, it can't be destroyed but it goes away by breaking and falling off after 12 seconds or 3 ledge grabs. Maybe when it falls off it has a small weak hitbox too?

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
And this is my chest idea! Tetra plants a chest, it plays a short quiet treasure chest jingle, and then bursts out with rupees and rupoors that hold the opponent in place for a fair amount of time given the start-up. What do y'all think?
HNI_0037.JPG

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
@ Sonsa Sonsa
Those are some great demonstrations. I wish there was a way to send that kind of stuff to Nintendo. It would be cool to give move set ideas directly to them to see if they like it. Kind of like the Smash Ballot, but the fans could detail move sets for hypothetical characters by writing or demonstrating them through artwork. The best ones could get sent to Sakurai to help give him concepts he may have overlooked.

So I think I put in a good word for Tetra in the Rate Their Chances thread. Hopefully what I said will get some people to believe she has a shot at becoming DLC if we get a new Zelda character someday. Too many people around here tend to overlook her chances while I believe she has a genuine possibility of getting considered if we were to get a DLC Zelda character. Guess we'll have to see what time (and Sakurai) will bring us.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
@ Sonsa Sonsa
Those are some great demonstrations. I wish there was a way to send that kind of stuff to Nintendo. It would be cool to give move set ideas directly to them to see if they like it. Kind of like the Smash Ballot, but the fans could detail move sets for hypothetical characters by writing or demonstrating them through artwork. The best ones could get sent to Sakurai to help give him concepts he may have overlooked.

So I think I put in a good word for Tetra in the Rate Their Chances thread. Hopefully what I said will get some people to believe she has a shot at becoming DLC if we get a new Zelda character someday. Too many people around here tend to overlook her chances while I believe she has a genuine possibility of getting considered if we were to get a DLC Zelda character. Guess we'll have to see what time (and Sakurai) will bring us.
Thank you very much! Yeah, I'd love to just be on the smash team haha

But yeah... as for Tetra's chances it's kinda tricky. The biggest competition is Impa.

Impa is dandy and all, and her defense is that she's been in many games and fought. She's pretty popular being the most requested Zelda character. She's in Hyrule Warrios, but I doubt anything from that game would be represented in smash bros as it's a spin off and legal things could be weird as it's mostly developed by those Dynasty Warriors people.

Tetra has also been in multiple games, a sometimes overlooked fact by some, and has also fought just a bit. She offers so much more than Impa could, Impa would have to share some features with Sheik. OR if you take the hyrule warriors approach (which again, weird legal stuff but whatever) she'd swing a big sword (kinda like Ike) that shoots water (Greninja has water swords)

We don't even have a pirate on the roster! We haven't had a new Zelda newcomer for a while and it's a rather popular series haha
Tetra offers so much more with such a unique personality! A wise, bossy, pirate captain who loves adventure! Total awesome summon/trap character that scurries around outsmarting opponents.

Here's the thing... There really is a chance. Tetra was kinda planned for Brawl sorta and it's really all up to Sakurai. Impa may have more votes, but Sakurai could see that, determine she has nothing new to offer, and stop considering her. If we just raised more awareness I think Sakurai would see Tetra's obvious potential and happily get to work.

I know he can and might like to do it, when so many people were sure Chrom would get in, I trusted Sakurai, knowing he would see Robin's potential was so much more and he pulled through! Sakurai definitely knows what he's doing...I think he just needs our help.

If Tetra just got smashified or made more popular peoples' lists... maaan, who knows?

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Thank you very much! Yeah, I'd love to just be on the smash team haha
No problem. Being on the Smash team would probably be a dream come true.

If Tetra just got smashified or made more popular peoples' lists... maaan, who knows?
That's exactly what I was thinking. I've requested Tetra for Smashified since the very first video because I knew that would boost her votes. I even mentioned her directly to Omni in one of my comments after he replied to me in his Banjo & Kazooie vid that was posted on the front page of Smashboards. Since he's got multiple people as a team working on these creations now, I'm hoping we can see her Smashified sooner rather than later.

Speaking of which, it appears that a new one came out today. Travis from... Mother 4? Huh...

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yeah, I've been suggesting her too. Yeah, they seem to have a big team now so I hope one of them is a big fan of her... Yeah, Travis is a cute pick for Mother's Day. I'm sure the creators of that fan game must find the smashified team's work very heartwarming <3

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
She would HAVE to make use of her dagger that is never used in combat in Wind Waker. It's a requirement.

Also, forward air definitely a copy of when she kicks Ganondof in the face.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Wow! Is OP the original Pizzadudemanguy? Odd, I was always under the idea that if Toon Zelda got in, Tetra was going to be TZ's Sheik. Only that Tetra would fight dirty as any cutthroat.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I think Toon Link and Ganon could be even more different but as semi clones right now they're different enough and it's fine. I wouldn't see Tetra as a clone at all. How could she be? There's no one like her! Zelda? Tetra doesn't use magic (she could but she dont wanna) Sheik? She's not a ninja!
So yeah, I never really say Toon Zelda or Toon Sheik, I just say Tetra, cause that's who I want to see. Don't even really wanna see her in her princess form at all, even for a final smash. Spoiling that nice twist just ain't necessary, she clearly loves being a pirate more so let her be herself, y'know?

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I think Toon Link and Ganon could be even more different but as semi clones right now they're different enough and it's fine. I wouldn't see Tetra as a clone at all. How could she be? There's no one like her! Zelda? Tetra doesn't use magic (she could but she dont wanna) Sheik? She's not a ninja!
So yeah, I never really say Toon Zelda or Toon Sheik, I just say Tetra, cause that's who I want to see. Don't even really wanna see her in her princess form at all, even for a final smash. Spoiling that nice twist just ain't necessary, she clearly loves being a pirate more so let her be herself, y'know?

Honestly, the only thing that bugs me about this thread is the plank.

It's good, unique, I like what you all are doing with it.. But it doesn't remind me of Wind Waker at all.

I'd prefer for her to use a mix of Toon's WW items not currently in Smash, and general dagger slashes, kicks, maybe a barrel catapult Final Smash. I like the plank, it just doesn't scream Tetra to me.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Dagger slashes are kicks are fine for A moves, I'm fine with that, but using Link's items... I was never too on-board with. Just seems the same to me if Zelda or Sheik borrowed some of Link's weapons he isn't using.

There's a lot of cool items from WW like Deku Leaf that would have been awesome for Toon Link to use as at least customs. Sadly not. But it just makes a different problem to slap that potential onto someone else who has their own potential and is therefore having their potential wasted and hopefully slapped on someone else...

I really don't want Tetra to use any of Link's weapons, honestly. I think she'd prefer her own style. It's so clear in my head, Toon Link offering his unused weapons and her going "No thanks, I can handle this just fine" as her crew backs her up.

As a character she holds the triforce of wisdom, so she's very sneaky and tricky. She also loves adventure, sailing the sea as a free, getting-away-with-anything pirate. She's bossy too! So... I imagine her being a summon/trap character.

Up-B maybe a dignified barrel blast (though this seems familiar to Bowser Jr...)
When I first thought up a moveset, I thought another summon would be a funny up-b, where another crew member shows up for a second only to be footstooled by Tetra as she makes it back to the stage.

Side-B Plank, or, something else like...swinging on those ropes in the pirate ship that they all apparently practice. Would be kinda awkward having a rope come out of no where, but we could get used to it, weirder things have been in smash. I guess this would be kinda similar to Spider-Man's web swing from MvC.

Neutral-B I think should be summoning Gonzo to hold the opponent still. Kind of like a teammate grabbing an opponent for you to charge up an attack. Sounds OP but the start-up would be fair and if you missed there'd be a solid 2 or 3 seconds of endlag of Tetra scolding the poor guy.

And Down-B she plants a chest trap which I've explained. Or maybe another kind of trap. Just some sorta trap for down-b sounds good to me. That way she has a trap she can trick people into getting stuck in for a moment, summon Gonzo, and you can really see her whole strategy come together.

I'm willing to change my mind on things like the plank and whatever, I'll gladly think up some more moves, but just giving her Toon Link's weapons...noooo...I wanna play as Tetra, not what Toon Link should have been like in a Tetra costume...

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Dagger slashes are kicks are fine for A moves, I'm fine with that, but using Link's items... I was never too on-board with. Just seems the same to me if Zelda or Sheik borrowed some of Link's weapons he isn't using.

There's a lot of cool items from WW like Deku Leaf that would have been awesome for Toon Link to use as at least customs. Sadly not. But it just makes a different problem to slap that potential onto someone else who has their own potential and is therefore having their potential wasted and hopefully slapped on someone else...

I really don't want Tetra to use any of Link's weapons, honestly. I think she'd prefer her own style. It's so clear in my head, Toon Link offering his unused weapons and her going "No thanks, I can handle this just fine" as her crew backs her up.

As a character she holds the triforce of wisdom, so she's very sneaky and tricky. She also loves adventure, sailing the sea as a free, getting-away-with-anything pirate. She's bossy too! So... I imagine her being a summon/trap character.

Up-B maybe a dignified barrel blast (though this seems familiar to Bowser Jr...)
When I first thought up a moveset, I thought another summon would be a funny up-b, where another crew member shows up for a second only to be footstooled by Tetra as she makes it back to the stage.

Side-B Plank, or, something else like...swinging on those ropes in the pirate ship that they all apparently practice. Would be kinda awkward having a rope come out of no where, but we could get used to it, weirder things have been in smash. I guess this would be kinda similar to Spider-Man's web swing from MvC.

Neutral-B I think should be summoning Gonzo to hold the opponent still. Kind of like a teammate grabbing an opponent for you to charge up an attack. Sounds OP but the start-up would be fair and if you missed there'd be a solid 2 or 3 seconds of endlag of Tetra scolding the poor guy.

And Down-B she plants a chest trap which I've explained. Or maybe another kind of trap. Just some sorta trap for down-b sounds good to me. That way she has a trap she can trick people into getting stuck in for a moment, summon Gonzo, and you can really see her whole strategy come together.

I'm willing to change my mind on things like the plank and whatever, I'll gladly think up some more moves, but just giving her Toon Link's weapons...noooo...I wanna play as Tetra, not what Toon Link should have been like in a Tetra costume...
I respect your opinion, and it does all make sense, but to me, the Grappling Hook and Spoils Bag make too much sense NOT to be included.

I think my moveset might be something like:

B- Spoils Bag (think Bonus Fruit with drops and more effects)
Up B- Grappling Hook, like what Olimar and ZSS used to have (and no longer have, making this more unique)
Side B- Pirate summon (like the parasol girl's attack from Skullgirls or DHD's Down B with a more close range focus)
Down B- You guys' trap chest

Final Smash: Barrel Catapult

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
-The up B summon would be kinda hilarious imagine off stage where he gets sacrificed. (has to be Gonzo as hes so in love)

-I like the trap chest idea, could be kind of random drop too or maybe, just maybe a mechanic where you can control what will spawn out of the chest without the opponent knowing unless hes looking at your hands.
Or you have the down b like sheik or ZSS have

-Another down B is the counter where she swoops around their back with a slashing uppercut with the dagger. Imagine recover from offstage and manage to pull that off and suddenly you switched places.

-Normal B could be throwing those sticky round monsters that slow you down, which does no damage but cant be shielded.

-Side B could maybe be combo like marth or lucina with the sounds from wind waker
- Or another idea would to summon Niko or Zuko going on a rampage like the Mii fighters side B kicking combo. And if it hit it would combo them and give you a chance to position yourself where the opponent will be kicked and combo of it :D
The summon side B could also be a tether with Niko letting down/connecting rope/lantern to Tetra or something I dunno xP

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I agree that Tetra's moves should be unique according to her personality. I would definitely like to see a Spoils Bag with random trinkets she could pull out that have different effects, and maybe a Down B counter. Other than that, I think everything in Tetra's moveset should be her own. It definitely suits her better, and it would give us a unique opportunity to learn more about her character than what Wind Waker showed us.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I...guess I can budge on the spoils bag. I mean, pulling out berries used to trip the opponent or a pear to summon a seagull seems like something any character from windwaker can do as they're sold in shops available for anyone.

I actually thought I'd be more okay with the grappling hook but thinking about it more...no... I mean, it's given to Link from Medli so Tetra's got no business using it and Brawl taught us how up-b tethers can be pretty awful. Poor Olimar and Ivysaur...and Zamus a bit I suppose, but she had more recovery options. Anyway, pretty sure that's why there isn't any in Smash 4.

And tethers are all the same... Samus, Link, Toon Link, they're nice to have, but they're all the same. So a unique up-b and maaaybe using the grappling hook as a Z tether/grab...I wouldn't be that upset.

Now @ Moffe Moffe actually brings up something I hadn't considered! Not only summoning her pirate crew, but some monsters too? That could be fun!

Your concept for those spike-ball enemies you usually find in the Forbidden Woods... I love it! Sounds like pikmin, so I imagine opponents would have to do an attack to get them off too, but as they seem pretty powerful and limit movement they should bounce off after a time too...maybe 5 or 6 seconds. Also seems like they'd really weigh em down and make em plummet when airborne. Could be balanced with em being hard to aim, yknow?

I mean, Im imagining the move where you can latch on up to three, one at a time, one slows em down a bit and makes em a bit heavier, two makes rolling a much better movement option and is as heavy as a metal box, and three makes there ground speed abysmal and they're as heavy as...almost as if they're being spiked I suppose.

Ah, maybe I'm going a bit overboard. Balancing this will take more thought, but yeah, neat idea. Only one monster summon for the moveset though, maybe summoning things like Chuchus or poes to reverse opponents controls can be customs.

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
you could also have like iceclimbers up b just that she summons the partner

using a sail could also be possible for some sort of up b or side b

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
you could also have like iceclimbers up b just that she summons the partner
using a sail could also be possible for some sort of up b or side b
Ah...you could, but I don't she has to be similar to anyone so I'd opt for something new. The sail...uh, maybe, she could just get a huge gust of wind I suppose...? It'd be cute if you saw Toon Link commanding wind in the background to help her, but he's a character haha

Oh! Forgot to share my final smash idea! My original idea was that the pirate ship crashes into the stage and the crew smashes everyone. That might be too much to load so instead I propose this:

The stage starts flooding. Tetra is safe in a bubble or takes a snooze on the King of Red Lions while the rest of the fighters have to keep swimming and jumping to survive. If they can't... they drown.

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I...guess I can budge on the spoils bag. I mean, pulling out berries used to trip the opponent or a pear to summon a seagull seems like something any character from windwaker can do as they're sold in shops available for anyone.

I actually thought I'd be more okay with the grappling hook but thinking about it more...no... I mean, it's given to Link from Medli so Tetra's got no business using it and Brawl taught us how up-b tethers can be pretty awful. Poor Olimar and Ivysaur...and Zamus a bit I suppose, but she had more recovery options. Anyway, pretty sure that's why there isn't any in Smash 4.

And tethers are all the same... Samus, Link, Toon Link, they're nice to have, but they're all the same. So a unique up-b and maaaybe using the grappling hook as a Z tether/grab...I wouldn't be that upset.

Now @ Moffe Moffe actually brings up something I hadn't considered! Not only summoning her pirate crew, but some monsters too? That could be fun!

Your concept for those spike-ball enemies you usually find in the Forbidden Woods... I love it! Sounds like pikmin, so I imagine opponents would have to do an attack to get them off too, but as they seem pretty powerful and limit movement they should bounce off after a time too...maybe 5 or 6 seconds. Also seems like they'd really weigh em down and make em plummet when airborne. Could be balanced with em being hard to aim, yknow?

I mean, Im imagining the move where you can latch on up to three, one at a time, one slows em down a bit and makes em a bit heavier, two makes rolling a much better movement option and is as heavy as a metal box, and three makes there ground speed abysmal and they're as heavy as...almost as if they're being spiked I suppose.

Ah, maybe I'm going a bit overboard. Balancing this will take more thought, but yeah, neat idea. Only one monster summon for the moveset though, maybe summoning things like Chuchus or poes to reverse opponents controls can be customs.
Stop summoning me.

:018:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I poorly doodled some alts just for fun. From left to right, Default Tetra, Toon Zelda, Just a fun looking one I think looks cool, Shantae, Medli, Linebeck, Byrne, and Dark Tetra!

HNI_0098.JPG

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Finally, it's not ME bumping this thread.

Who would be down for HW Impa and Tetra as a double pack?

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Despite this being a great announcement, I'll be the first to say that I don't think being in Hyrule Warriors means much for her chances to get in Smash. I've argued in the past that I never thought Hyrule Warriors would have any affect on Smash 4 content, and now that my No. 1 character is playable in it I've got to stand by that.

But what this does mean is that she'll receive more ballot support and general recognition from the Smash community due to this, and that can't be a bad thing. So maybe in that way it'll up her chances. I'm still super stoked that she's playable in this game, and I plan to pick up this version as soon as it hits store shelves.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, Impa received a lot of popularity thanks to her sword.

At least, HW will help Tetra with the whole "no moveset" thing! Finally we see her using that scimitar.

Top Bottom