• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced Techniques in Brawl

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Here goes:

WD is overpowered

Nein.

No, that one's no too. Yeah, I'm pretty sure.[/COLOR]
I'll have to disagree with one of those...

Seriously, the ICs WDing is over powered, it shouldn't be thaht easy for them to approach, and the devlopers of the game didn't expect that. I don't care if it was intentional, it wasn't meant to be exploited, and Luigi shouldn't be that fast. Your not suppose to be able to charge smash attacks while moving backwards without changing direction to then edge hog. I'm sorry, but that's not suppose to happen. Seriously, think about that. Re-read that, and seriously think about that. If you think that was suppose to happen, then your crazy, and it is a little over powered. Now, I do WD, my mains are the ICs (and Peach) however everyone's WD should be the same length, and it should be in a how to play video.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
It's a phenomenon that is exclusive to melee due to how they programmed the game, and i think with the changes and overhaul they are taking towards the game, we can expect a lot of stuff like wave dashing and wave landing to be removed.

RDK

Smash Hero
Seriously, the ICs WDing is over powered, it shouldn't be thaht easy for them to approach, and the devlopers of the game didn't expect that. I don't care if it was intentional, it wasn't meant to be exploited, and Luigi shouldn't be that fast. Your not suppose to be able to charge smash attacks while moving to edge hog. I'm sorry, but that's not suppose to happen. If you think that was suppose to happen, then your crazy, and it is a little over powered. Now, I do WD, my mains are the ICs (and Peach) however everyone's WD should be the same length, and it should be in a how to play video.
...hmmm, never thought of that. Yeah, it is a little bit unfair when you charge a smash while WD'ing to edgehog. And I also agree that Luigi is way too fast for his own good.

Ice Climbers, though--they're just Abominations. The sick-factor of WD'ing they are able to perform should not be allowed to happen. It goes against Quantum Edge Physics. AHHH, run! :psycho:

dinoneil

Smash Rookie
I really hope WDing, along with the other advanced tactics, makes it into Brawl.

To me, Melee was to simple after beating lvl 9 CPUs. I discovered a whole new world within the advanced league.

Without anything advanced, then competition would eventually become stale in my opinion.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Seriously, the ICs WDing is over powered, it shouldn't be thaht easy for them to approach, and the devlopers of the game didn't expect that. I don't care if it was intentional, it wasn't meant to be exploited, and Luigi shouldn't be that fast. Your not suppose to be able to charge smash attacks while moving to edge hog. I'm sorry, but that's not suppose to happen. If you think that was suppose to happen, then your crazy, and it is a little over powered.
Johns.

Oh and I suppose since bowser didn't meteor cancel marios fair that that meteor cancelling is unintentional too?

Oh heck, so is teching shorthopping dashdancing and Jump cancelled grabs.

How to play is gonna be a movie that bores the heck out of non competitive smashers if they include everything, and techniques are left for the players to discover and share... whats so wrong with that? It makes the metagame like an artform.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
We'll the point is you can't really disagree with the fact that wavedashing is overpowered. I'll say it again. Because people don't understand it.

Your not suppose to be able to charge smash attacks while moving backwards without changing direction to then edge hog. I'm sorry, but that's not suppose to happen.

Seriously, WTF?

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Johns.

Oh and I suppose since bowser didn't meteor cancel marios fair that that meteor cancelling is unintentional too?

Oh heck, so is teching shorthopping dashdancing and Jump cancelled grabs.

How to play is gonna be a movie that bores the heck out of non competitive smashers if they include everything, and techniques are left for the players to discover and share... whats so wrong with that? It makes the metagame like an artform.
Your not listening to me. I'm not saying I hate Wavedashing. I freaking play as the ICs. But to argue that it's not overpowered is outlandish. Again, I know I keep saying it, but I want everyone to understand. Your not suppose to be able to charge smash attacks while moving backwards without changing direction to then edge hog. I'm sorry, but that's not suppose to happen. If you take two Luigi players, and only one can WD, I think we all know what will most likely happen...

Dylan answer my question:

Do you really think moving backwards in place while attacking to edge hog was completly intentional?

RDK

Smash Hero
Correct. Again--part of the joy and excitement of metagame is finding these things out on your own and thanking God you know them instead of some poor nub sitting at home playing an item match.

Your not suppose to be able to charge smash attacks while moving backwards without changing direction to then edge hog. I'm sorry, but that's not suppose to happen.

Seriously, WTF?
*hands Hypnotist shield*

Not a good idea. Not a good idea at all.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Whatever, flame me. It's virtually impossible to deny that it's not unintentional, or overpowered. It can stay, just teach it somewhere in the game, and don't make Luigi and the IC climbers that fast.

Does anyone here really think that moving backwards in place while attacking to edge hog was completly intentional? Does anyone?

UltimaSmash

Smash Cadet
Hypnotist, your posts aren't being ignored, it's just the credibility of your posts are questionable. Lower tier chars deserve an upper hand from time to time, it's as simple as that.

EDIT: And it's only you who finds it broken.

UltimaSmash

Smash Cadet
Okay now you're arguing over definitions. What is the gigantic difference between "overpowered" and "broken"? http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Broken <-- that's more or less your own words. I'm also not sure what you're trying to imply if Samus and Fox didn't have a WD. Ofcourse they'd be nerfed, so would everyone else without a WD.

RDK

Smash Hero
I never said the word broken. And your logic is somewhat flawed. Yes the ICs wouldn't be as good without wavedashing. But imagine Samus or Fox without wavedashing. They'd be nerfed too.
He wasn't debating whether or not they COULD wavedash; just the extent of the wavedash. He reasoned that they made IC's WD better because they were lowish teir'd. I don't exactly agree, I'm just restating what he said.

UltimaSmash

Smash Cadet
Actually I'm not saying they were made with a better wavedash because they're low tier. I'm saying that complaining about the situational advantages of certain lower tier characters is rather pointless seeing how they generally get destroyed in the bigger picture.

UltimaSmash

Smash Cadet
Well I'll agree with you to the extent that charging an attack while moving is most definately accidental, but I wouldn't say it's as overpowered as you think it is. Competitive players will always look out for that particular move and most likely avoid it with ease, falling for the trick once or twice. It's only less fun for those who know nothing about advanced techniques and such.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
I could care less if WD is in brawl. I can deal with not doing it in 64, it will just take a little bit of getting used to, thats all. WD makes the game a lot faster, it also makes the competition level higher but it ISN'T necessary at all. if its in, I'll do it, if it isn't, oh well.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
my point still stands that those who do not wish to adapt to new playstyles are terrified by the game being slightly different.

ie: see the OP, "LETS BOYCOTT BRAWL IF IT DOESNT HAVE WAVEDASHING".

seriously, wtf?

why does a game mechanic which was obviously unintended so brandishly fought for?

why arent there arguments over the unique entrances that were in n64 that gave it that extra flavor? or arguments over adapting art styles (like fox's current one) from games that are less than desirable to the masses?

wave dashing is and will always be a broken, overpowered gameplay mechanic which is the embodiment of why it was so displeasing to lots of those who loved the n64 version, which was the ability to pick up the game have fun.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
my point still stands that those who do not wish to adapt to new playstyles are terrified by the game being slightly different.

seriously, wtf?

why does a game mechanic which was obviously unintended so brandishly fought for?

why arent there arguments over the unique entrances that were in n64 that gave it that extra flavor? or arguments over adapting art styles (like fox's current one) from games that are less than desirable to the masses?

wave dashing is and will always be a broken, overpowered gameplay mechanic which is the embodiment of why it was so displeasing to lots of those who loved the n64 version, which was the ability to pick up the game have fun.

Ummmmmmmm. . . . . .. . . you never played ssb64 with advance techniques did you. Z canceling was broken, the combos were retardedly good (faux infinites because of the lack of the DI present in Melee. Very limited in American SSB), and the charcters were horribly imbalanced. I doubt people who like ssb64 more are like "Because of wavedashing, I hate Melee"

Edit: Wavedashing is not as broken as Z cancelling. Getting rid of all lag no matter the move. Still, z cancelling was not bad enough to break the game and neither is wavedashing (not even close).

RDK

Smash Hero

seriously, wtf?
I don't remember anyone saying that. In fact, if my memory serves me, it's the exact opposite. People were saying they'd boycott Brawl if WD'ing was in.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Dylan answer my question:

Do you really think moving backwards in place while attacking to edge hog was completly intentional?
Ok Ill answer it.

Many people have this opinion wherin the wavedash was ''non intentional'' or it wasn't meant to be in the game.

I would ask you to consider for a moment, the Formalist school of thought when it came to critisizing a work of art, which I would classify SSBM under, videogames to me are an artform.

boring Wikipedia said:
Aesthetically speaking, formalism is the concept that everything necessary in a work of art is contained within it. The context for the work, including the reason for its creation, the historical background, and the life of the artist, is not considered to be significant.

In laymans terms, this means that once something is created, the intentions of its creators do not matter, and the object itself lives sepperate from its creator and even from the world in which it exists.

I use this philosophy when looking at the wavedash. Perhaps it was not intended, but it is in the game. And once a game is released, the intentions of the developers do not matter as the game exists as a sepperate entity from it's creators altogether.

RDK

Smash Hero
Ok Ill answer it.

Many people have this opinion wherin the wavedash was ''non intentional'' or it wasn't meant to be in the game.

I would ask you to consider for a moment, the Formalist school of thought when it came to critisizing a work of art, which I would classify SSBM under, videogames to me are an artform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boring wikipedia
Aesthetically speaking, formalism is the concept that everything necessary in a work of art is contained within it. The context for the work, including the reason for its creation, the historical background, and the life of the artist, is not considered to be significant.
In laymans terms, this means that once something is created, the intentions of its creators do not matter, and the object itself lives sepperate from its creator and even from the world in which it exists.

I use this philosophy when looking at the wavedash. Perhaps it was not intended, but it is in the game. And once a game is released, the intentions of the developers do not matter as the game exists as a sepperate entity from it's creators altogether.
*Applauds*

Dammit, you beat me to it, Dylan.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Ok Ill answer it.

With your logic the Ice Climbers freeze glitch is fine. And your not giving me an answer, your giving me this "Perhaps it was not intended" half-answer stuff. Just be direct with me.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
With your logic the Ice Climbers freeze glitch is fine. And your not giving me an answer, your giving me this "Perhaps it was not intended" half-answer stuff. Just be direct with me.
You're hung up over something ridiculously stupid that has no impact on anything and I hate talking to you. There. Direct enough?

Was it intended?!

Ok. So hows about I go to sakurai's house, tie him and his family up and torture them until he tells me?

Jesus christ.

edit : no Im not actually pissed off but the rant is well deserved since you've been saying OMG LUIGI IS TOO FAST for a month or whatever now, let it go.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Calm down (even though your not actually pissed), I'm just making a point. And it's not logical to talk down upon the "anti-wavedashers" (which I'm not) without understanding that they do make some points. I probally won't get a clear answer from you. But I've seen you write, and I'm pretty sure you can agree that the devlopers didn't expect people to move while smashing and edge hogging. Your being difficult. And it does have impact!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Calm down (even though your not actually pissed), I'm just making a point. And it's not logical to talk down upon the "anti-wavedashers" (which I'm not) without understanding that they do make some points. I probally won't get a clear answer from you. But I've seen you write, and I'm pretty sure you can agree that the devlopers didn't expect people to move while smashing and edge hogging. Your being difficult. And it does have impact!
I answered your question with an opinion. You didn't read my post, or grasp the point of modernist philosophy.

Once something is made, the intentions of it's creators don't matter. The game exists sepperate from them and they can exert no control over how it is played. Wavedashing is in melee, and it is therefore inherently INTENDED to be there within the realm of the game which of course exists outsides the confines of the intentions of it's creators.

in other words

NO **** JOHNS

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
If Bowser didn't have a wavedash it would hardly make a difference. And I said, "a little overpowered." The thing about Samus and Fox was the fact that they'd be nerfed, someone eariler was aruging so what is it makes Luigi really good, still he's not used that much.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Wavedashing is in melee, and it is therefore inherently INTENDED to be there within the realm of the game which of course exists outsides the confines of the intentions of it's creators.
Plese, quit it with the inherently inteneded stuff, just be straight forward, not this "essentially, or virtually crap" you know, those words you can put almost anywhere. And let's not turn this into question people's intelliegence, we're all better than that, anyways. Just because something exist doesn't mean it's intended. I could argue that the Freeze Glitch (and the super jump, and wobbling) is in Melee, and it is therefore inherently INTENDED to be there within the realm of the game which of couse exists outside the confines of the intentions of it's creators. It doesn't mean it's true though.

Look, I'm not trying to cause drama or anything. All I'm saying is the way some people use WDing is not intentional, and somewhat over powered (moving backwards without changing direction, wihle attacking and edge hogging). It's not a big deal, it's just something that's very difficult to seriously deny.

FireFoxxx

Smash Rookie
Not that my opinion means much at all, and I didn't care to go through all...67 or so pages, but if it's going to be so hard to adapt to the Gamecube controller if wavedashing is gone, just use one of the other 3 control options.

If I heard right, they also took the glitches/whatever you want to call them out of Halo 3(BxR, etc), and not saying Nintendo is going to emulate Bungie, but they might just remove them just as Bungie did. Also, since it will be online, if they feel something is too imbalanced, or some major glitch is found out, wouldn't that mean it's possible to have a downloadable patch to fix it?

Well, that's my opinions/whatever, rather tired atm lol.

If Brawl doesn't have Wavedashing, hopefully they have at least short hopping and L-Canceling, but back to the point. If they don't have wavedashing, and you decide not to play it, have fun with Melee ^^

*goes to sleep*

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Who cares about wavedashing? You need items to select characters. This game is pathetic. I can't believe they would stoop this low to please scrubs.

But who am I kidding? That's the new wii-tastic philosophy right?

Easy games are more fun, Graphics are what matter!

Im just grateful I grew up in a time period when real games were released like Turtles in Time and ghouls and ghosts. The gaming industry is going to hell, mark my words.

Wipo

Smash Rookie
Who cares about wavedashing? You need items to select characters. This game is pathetic. I can't believe they would stoop this low to please scrubs.

But who am I kidding? That's the new wii-tastic philosophy right?

Easy games are more fun, Graphics are what matter!

Im just grateful I grew up in a time period when real games were released like Turtles in Time and ghouls and ghosts. The gaming industry is going to hell, mark my words.

Top Bottom