• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Active Player Thread: Ones who does not have Triforce can't go in

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wifi is peer-to-peer. Japan Wifi is so much better because Japan's a small country in size and the Internet connections in general over there are much better.

By the way, I can bet you that #1 in Michigan would most certainly not get schooled by an honorary mention in NJ : )

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
Wifi is peer-to-peer. Japan Wifi is so much better because Japan's a small country in size and the Internet connections in general over there are much better.

By the way, I can bet you that #1 in Michigan would most certainly not get schooled by an honorary mention in NJ : )
Michigan was pretty good I thought o.O

Don't forget about our Money Match Tristan :)

Judo777

Smash Master

^^ this. And to give a few example...... M2K...Ohio=MW. Ally Canada, Lain.....Michigan....AZ......michigan i believe.

-dMT-

Smash Lord

I was just giving a hypothetical example. You won't tell me that #1 in Michigan and #1 in NJ would even be comparable though, to add to your example. It's just a tidbit that I feel needs to be addressed.

My personal suggestion would be to have tiers, with perhaps the first tier of Ranked Sheik mains being the ones that are listen in their respective State PRs. Then move on from there. It's just that the only way to REALLY have any direct data that tells us one Sheik is better than another, is have them both attend the same tournament filled with plenty of top players and see who places better. For the data to be reliable, you need a lot of said tournaments. However way you look at it, this isn't happening. That's the issue.

Oh, neat. Did he say anything hurtful about my wifi Sheik playing wifi friendlies?
Well, what he told me specifically was to help the rest of the Sheik mains get better if you were an example of the average Sheik other than me. I told him you're not, and that there are many Sheik's that are as beast as mine, and many even better.

One thing he mentioned was that you played very slow, and that even though he was scared when off stage all you did was wait for him instead of gimping, and thus he knew he wasn't gonna lose.

Heard you got his Sonic pretty well with the chain though lol. GGs. Well at least you didn't let him sandbag you with Sonic for long. Just to be clear, his Lucario is pretty nasty offline. Idk what you saw online, but I'm convinced he's definitely one of the best Lucarios.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I was just giving a hypothetical example. You won't tell me that #1 in Michigan and #1 in NJ would even be comparable though, to add to your example. It's just a tidbit that I feel needs to be addressed.

My personal suggestion would be to have tiers, with perhaps the first tier of Ranked Sheik mains being the ones that are listen in their respective State PRs. Then move on from there. It's just that the only way to REALLY have any direct data that tells us one Sheik is better than another, is have them both attend the same tournament filled with plenty of top players and see who places better. For the data to be reliable, you need a lot of said tournaments. However way you look at it, this isn't happening. That's the issue.

Well, what he told me specifically was to help the rest of the Sheik mains get better if you were an example of the average Sheik other than me. I told him you're not, and that there are many Sheik's that are as beast as mine, and many even better.

One thing he mentioned was that you played very slow, and that even though he was scared when off stage all you did was wait for him instead of gimping, and thus he knew he wasn't gonna lose.

Heard you got his Sonic pretty well with the chain though lol. GGs. Well at least you didn't let him sandbag you with Sonic for long. Just to be clear, his Lucario is pretty nasty offline. Idk what you saw online, but I'm convinced he's definitely one of the best Lucarios.
I do believe that is the worst insult I've ever received in my life. I'll have to play him again to clear a few things up about his thoughts on the "average" sheik. Thank you dmt for answering truthfully though and do make sure you keep tabs on this "best lucario" his thoughts will change.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
I do believe that is the worst insult I've ever received in my life. I'll have to play him again to clear a few things up about his thoughts on the "average" sheik. Thank you dmt for answering truthfully though and do make sure you keep tabs on this "best lucario" his thoughts will change.
Yea. I mean no disrespect. I've been playing with him since Japanese Brawl release, although I changed characters a lot his main since then was always Lucario. Anyone else he uses is for fun, or to sandbag basically lol.He's also convinced I'm the best Sheik on the East Coast. I, for one, will not make such a boast. Although I feel up to the title in my gut, without the necessary placements and wins I won't nominate myself.

All in all, my opinion on this: Wi-Fi sucks.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Hey everybody, I need to tell you something.

I am not quitting, but I am going to slow down... a lot.
I will be leaving for Illinois Tuesday and I will not be active like at all for a week.
When I get back I will have about 2 week or so before my next semester starts. I will be going full time this time around.
My best friend will also be leaving soon. I plan on spending as much time with him as possible before we go our separate ways.
On top of all of that, I feel like it is time I stop playing games like a child, and do what I need to do. I am going to get a job, and I am going to finish my book. I am wanting to publish it this summer.

However, that does not mean I will stop coming here.
There is a few unfinished things here that need my attention, but don't be expecting me to attempt to further Sheik anymore. I once considered it my job to advance Sheik, well, I am quitting my job.

*Things I will finish*
The ledge discussion thread
Rebellion
Needle Lock set ups
The catalog (and I will probably check in here every once and a while to update it)

I thank you all for having patience with me and forgiveness for when I lost my
short
temper. I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas.

ps Avatar is the coolest movie!
Probably in my top 3 of all time. Right now I am still hyping over it so it is #1.

Dcold

Smash Lord
#1 in MI is lain i believe. lain could put up a fight against ADHD, although i think ADHD would win. It is comparable, but i still think ADHD > lain just my opinion. Maybe a little biased, but ADHD now, i think would beat lain pretty soundly.

Judo777

Smash Master
#1 in MI is lain i believe. lain could put up a fight against ADHD, although i think ADHD would win. It is comparable, but i still think ADHD > lain just my opinion. Maybe a little biased, but ADHD now, i think would beat lain pretty soundly.
M2K is Ohio......

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Basically what I'm saying is if one person gets ranked 1st in a PR in.. what..Iowa lol... thats like wow.. 1st place! He must be awesome. He beat <name here> former first in Iowa and blah blah....

but in reality this person most likely would get schooled by a simple honorary member in NJ.

The fact that there isn't a lot of data to compare top players in different regions to one another makes it hard to compare sheiks in different regions to one another.

That's the point I was making.
I'm pretty sure that the rankings aren't based on where you are in a pr. I assume they are based off of who you beat and who you lose to. There's little to confuse there. If Ankoku beats lain then he's ****ing good regardless of living in a state that couldn't compare to ny on its best day. =P If I lose to a random scrub (and I have lol) in ny then it makes it pretty clear that I shouldn't be ranked well.

Do what you gotta do saviors. Good luck and good **** on being focused enough to write a book. I would say if you have to make time, quit smashboards and NOT smash. Spending time on the former won't help you that much on the latter.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure that the rankings aren't based on where you are in a pr. I assume they are based off of who you beat and who you lose to. There's little to confuse there. If Ankoku beats lain then he's ****ing good regardless of living in a state that couldn't compare to ny on its best day. =P If I lose to a random scrub (and I have lol) in ny then it makes it pretty clear that I shouldn't be ranked well.
It seems my examples are being confused for my main point. I know PR isn't the criteria for being ranked. It's who you beat. Take a look back at people giving their results though. When people show their match-up history they state if the person they faced is ranked anywhere at all, to add value to the set. Right then and there, PR matters. PR tells you who the people to beat are.

Answer me this hypothetic.

Lain is ranked 1 on his PR.

Anti is ranked 1 in NY PR.

If Anti and Lain never played eachother, and I beat Anti, and some sheik beat Lain.... who is better?

For arguments sake, let's make the assumption that my background and the aforementioned some sheik's background are identical.

Again, that's another example I'm making to shed some more light on what seems to be a difficult to understand point.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If I beat lain and he's not using some random-*** alt like Snake, it's probably not gonna be with my Sheik, lmao

dmtmanga, if you're telling me that lain and Judge can't even compare to the top players in your state, then you're very much showing your bias. I'm quite sure that we've got game. If you're making these statements based on how we're doing the PR though, then rathy is correct - we're going to be rating players based on who they win against and lose against, not just their placements in tournaments. We're not going to treat you beating Anti the same as me ****** the hell out of RandomMetaKnightPlayer,

-dMT-

Smash Lord
If I beat lain and he's not using some random-*** alt like Snake, it's probably not gonna be with my Sheik, lmao

dmtmanga, if you're telling me that lain and Judge can't even compare to the top players in your state, then you're very much showing your bias. I'm quite sure that we've got game. If you're making these statements based on how we're doing the PR though, then rathy is correct - we're going to be rating players based on who they win against and lose against, not just their placements in tournaments. We're not going to treat you beating Anti the same as me ****** the hell out of RandomMetaKnightPlayer,
lol... I guess I shouldn't use myself in the examples. I'm not trying to make a point as to the superiority of NY or such. That can be debated, and may be my opinion, but that in no way is the point I am arguing.

lol of course the difference between Anti and RandomMetaKnightPlayer is clear. What I am asking i: Is how the various Kings of their States would fair vs each other entirely clear? I think not.

Again, I am not stating my worries as to an ill-run Sheik PR; hell the Sheik PR isn't even up yet.

I'm just trying to explain my realization as to why many deem character-themed PR's to be inaccurate and not worthwhile:

It's difficult to gauge people maining a character across the map against each other. This only adds a major dent to the already difficult to get by flaws like secondaries or instances of sandbagging.

I'll restate my opinion as such:

The Sheik Power Rankings would hold much more meaning if a sort of Tier system was adopted to replace the current 1-5 ranking, as it very well may become very difficult to say for sure who is better than the other in adjacent ranks.

I understand it's too much to expect pin-point accuracy, but I think that instead of having a situation where people argue over 1st and 2nd and whatnot, or simply say to themselves "I may be 2nd now but i know I'm better than <Insert Rank 1 name here> so screw these ranks they're inaccurate," I am of the opinion that those 2 people be able to say they are among the top 3 Sheik's in the country, in no particular order.

PS: If I came off as biased in any post, I sincerely apologize. I can assure you it was not my intention. I'll be sure to show more care in the future so as to avoid any misunderstandings.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
lol of course the difference between Anti and RandomMetaKnightPlayer is clear. What I am asking i: Is how the various Kings of their States would fair vs each other entirely clear? I think not.
How does that matter? A Sheik ditto is almost meaningless. A Sheik ditto with limits on ftilts is even more meaningless.

It's difficult to gauge people maining a character across the map against each other. This only adds a major dent to the already difficult to get by flaws like secondaries or instances of sandbagging.
It really isn't, unless that player's region is completely unknown and we have no way of comparing it to anywhere else. Otherwise, we still have a decent point of reference. If you sandbag and lose it's your own fault. If the other guy is Ally or something and sandbags and you manage to win a whole set it's his own fault. I also mentioned that you can only state wins involving Sheik for the purposes of the PR.

I'll restate my opinion as such:

The Sheik Power Rankings would hold much more meaning if a sort of Tier system was adopted to replace the current 1-5 ranking, as it very well may become very difficult to say for sure who is better than the other in adjacent ranks.
Oh, please. It's silly enough having a character power rankings, but if we're making a tier list of people then there really is no point to discussion - you win more, you get placed higher on the list. That's all there is to it.

I understand it's too much to expect pin-point accuracy, but I think that instead of having a situation where people argue over 1st and 2nd and whatnot, or simply say to themselves "I may be 2nd now but i know I'm better than <Insert Rank 1 name here> so screw these ranks they're inaccurate," I am of the opinion that those 2 people be able to say they are among the top 3 Sheik's in the country, in no particular order.
Does it matter? I should hope that the top players of any character aren't so petty as to argue over who's best at a rarely-used-in-tournament character, because that tells me something about the players - they're not really worth anything to begin with.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
lol I didn't mean Sheik dittos, but rather whoever the top ranked players of each state are.

Regardless, I suppose I was overstating what was probably nothing more than an idea.

lain

Smash Master
*ahem* isn't shadow the best in your state dmt manga? I'm.... pretty sure Anther or Judge have already beaten him (+ me)

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
*ahem* isn't shadow the best in your state dmt manga? I'm.... pretty sure Anther or Judge have already beaten him (+ me)
*waits for anther and judge to now appear*

Anti's the best and shadow's second, I believe.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Wants an American sized smash scene in Australia_ We get 100 people at national turnouts and average around 30+ at locals which is big for us but doesn't compare in size to USA_ If we had bigger numbers and easier accessibility to each state then i would like to see how much more we could improve_ I'd consider you guys fairly lucky to have such a sizable and accessible scene_

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I made it out of pools at R3 in Cali this weekend.

First round in brackets I played a really good Mario named Vato Break was hella nervous and didn't know the matchup at all. First game I won on SV last stock, next game he took me to FD and I lost, game three I took him to BF and two stocked him. Next round I played a good Marth and lost 2-0, both games were very close although he was in control for a lot of the match. Next match in losers I played a Wario and should have won game one, I had a stock lead but I sd'ed and lost the first game on SV. Took him back to SV and won, then he took me to BF and I barely lost and knocked me out of the tournament.

Overall, I think I got a lot better and learned a lot. Got to play a couple really good players in friendlies and got MU experience in MU's I had never played before.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Hey gues what? My region is good. it knocked ally out of the tourney took second and thrid. I don't want to hear any more "FL isn't one of the best regions." stuff.

Also. we aren't good, we need to step it up!! I'm never losing to an MK in tourney ever again. I want my MK fights to go like my snake fights do right now. I'm gonna learn this match up so well...

*sighs* I definitely should have made it out of pools sorry people.

Oh~ I forgot to record again. I have a few matches saved on RedHalbred's and Scary's Wii. If they upload them cool stuff.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
bwahahahahha look at all these sheiks thinkin they suck. You don't suck you just play Sheik.......got to get better that's all.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
We are just being babies about losing, lol. I'm not gonna john. Just gonna keep progessing.

iLight

Smash Lord
so i've come to the conclusion that people will never again give me videos of my sheik, so i got this video camera for christmas that can record in HD and also it can plug direct into the tv so i just need a splitter to go to the wii too or i can just record the tv like the old days idk i'll test it, but yeah more vids/my combo vid might actually make some progress forward in life...

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
That's awesome and I didn't even know that there was such a thing. o.o I might get that too. Anyway looking forward to the vids.

btw, light, are you going through some emo phase or did you just thing unlight sounds cool? =P

NNID
Budget_Player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwU5dN70ixI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w1IQDhfo08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvQTLdmXGNY

http://www.mediafire.com/?y1ztmigtnzz

Walk Initial Velocity 0.2->0.23
Walk Acceleration 0.1->0.15
Walk Max velocity 1.3->1.7
Hop V init velocity 2.359->1.959
Air Jump Multiplier 1.1->0.7->0.9
Jumps 2->3
Terminal Velocity 1.58->1.98
Air Mobility 0.08->0.1

Jab 2 allow interrupt frame 9 (was 17)
Jab repeat goes 2 frames faster per hit.
Dash Attack allow interrupt frame 4 (was 40) (you can interrupt before the hitbox comes out, be careful! This means you can pretty much DACA, AKA Dash Attack Cancel Anything), Strong hitbox direction 60->80. Invisible from frame 1->4.

Airdodge, sidestep, and roll are all invisible for a while

Ftilt damage 5->9, BKB 14->34
Utilt first hit stays out until second hit shows up. First hit direction 75/30/350->310. Allow interrupt frame 30 (was 35)

Fsmash momentum +1.5, should send you forwards a good ways, invisible until first hitbox comes out.
Usmash sweetspot holds on for the whole hitbox (about 5 frames instead of 1), allow interrupt frame 30 (was 46), invisible until first hitbox comes out.
Dsmash bone intangibility doesn't stop after the first hit. frame speed x2. Invisible from startup until first hitbox comes out.

Nair sweetspot damage 13/10->17, KBG 64->44, sweetspot lasts 6 frames longer (sourspot lasts 6 frames shorter)
Fair damage 9->13, KBG 6C->1C->3C (should be weaker and maybe combo into itself, but still have some power; 1C wasn't enough), autocancels frame 8 (was frame 11), allow interrupt frame 15 (was 34), BKB 0->2C
Bair landing lag speed x3, strong hit damage 11/12->16->14, KBG 64->54, angle 361->20
Uair strong hit damage 11->17->13, direction 76->90. Weak hit direction 51->330, KBG 64->34, allow interrupt frame 29 (was 39)
Dair frames 1-14 speed x10, downwards momentum -4->-8->-4, horizontal momentum 0.8->2, attack stays out until frame 52 (was 33), landing speed x3, allow interrupt after frame 12.

Dthrow trajectory 361->280->260, should set up for a tech chase (without allowing stupidly broken spikes like the old one) Allow interrupt frame 45 (was 53)

Needles charge 4x as fast (approximately)

Vanish reappearance has an explosive bubble which deals 14 damage with decent knockback (copied everything except flags from snake's uair; flags from snake's C4 explosion). UpB startup has full invincibility, goes twice as fast. After vanish, Sheik remains invisible until she lands.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=255190

I believe this should speak for itself. Also, the AI in Brawl- is ****ing ****.

NNID
Budget_Player
I don't think so. Haven't tried it yet, TBH. It doesn't seem like it. Actually, the updated version has a lot more interesting tricks. A lot more invisibility (dodges, smashes startup and charging, dash attack for about the first 4 frames), and stupid mobility-she's a god**** ninja.

Just letting you guys know about this project.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Tristian, it's amazingly fun, you know you wanna try it, the sheik is ****.

As for dthrow, my bro hasn't managed to tech it but the timing might just be weird, still I don't think so. But if yes, that up-b makes a great tech-chase.

Also, I know you were looking for other housing, did you get with another group? IIRC we originally planned for you to be in my hotel room (which I have on reserve, but a possibility of free housing exists, I'm looking into that), but if you don't need it anymore let me know.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Personally I preferred Brawl- Sheik as she was (which for some reason countered Super Falcon) than Super Sheik. Whatever.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Tristian, it's amazingly fun, you know you wanna try it, the sheik is ****.

As for dthrow, my bro hasn't managed to tech it but the timing might just be weird, still I don't think so. But if yes, that up-b makes a great tech-chase.

Also, I know you were looking for other housing, did you get with another group? IIRC we originally planned for you to be in my hotel room (which I have on reserve, but a possibility of free housing exists, I'm looking into that), but if you don't need it anymore let me know.
Well interesting enough at my family get together the other day I rediscovered that my aunt actually live in Frederick so I just might be staying there for the event. Nothing is solidify though and if it isn't too expensive I'll probably would pick rooming with a bunch of smashers over being a burden on my loving aunt.

edit: also get on aim or private message me sometime so we can talk more about this.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Hey Budget Player, I tried the GCT linked to on the thread and none of the characters were different. The settings just changed to 5 stock and all but the characters were all the same as regular brawl. just felt like there was more hitstun.

I really want to try out B- Sheik.

Top Bottom