• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ACL Sydney, Videos Are up Link in OP

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
we had a $300 money match at cao's last night
dekar jv5'd me in all 3 games (oh my god he looked so sexy as he did it too)
then i shouted DOUBLE OR NOTHING
but he just laughed and triple jv 'd me again, but in half the time, and with kirby
then for some reason we all danced to 'samba de janeiro'?

he truly is the king of australian melee

Timmytimah

Smash Rookie
I registered under the name 'nugget' and made it through to the top 8 for smash, but due to unforeseen circumstances I won't be able to make it :(

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Project M Singles

1. Tedeth :pit:
2. Dekar :peach::marth:
3. Zero :kirby2:
4. Star :sonic:
5. Cunchy :falcon:
5. Forte :fox:

Brawl Singles

1. Killy :snake:
2. Invisi :pit:
3. Luco :lucas:
4. Scarpian :link2:
5. Hyre
5. EVAL :popo:

Not sure where I can get doubles results for each game.

Shoutouts to @ Gords Gords for a fantastic tourney! I look forward to more Sydney action. :D

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Thanks for an awesome tournament all! 3rd place was exciting and fun, I certainly hope all the new peeps (and vets, too) are willing to stick around a little for Brawl just a little after smash 4 comes out because some of those matches and results were tense and surprising. I enjoyed it a lot. ^_^

You can expect my several hundred word-long shoutouts coming to peeps soon. :p

Mytus

Smash Apprentice
This was my first out of state tournament since I started playing competitive Melee earlier this year.

I had such a good time meeting you all from NSW and Victoria, it was incredible to find that you all were just as wonderful and warm as the QLD scene is - whether you played Melee, PM or Brawl. Thanks so much to GTR, Nathaniel and Gords for getting the stream running and allowing me to sit on the mic for so long. It was my first time ever doing something like that, so hopefully my mediocre commentary doesn't take away from the VODs.

Huge thanks to @ Gords Gords for hosting myself and several other Queenslanders. I was a bit nervous coming to Sydney, but you really made me feel at home. Monster effort TOing the event as well, I'm not sure how much sleep you got over the weekend but I don't think it was much. If you ever need a place to stay in Brisbane (whether it be for Smash, work or leisure) please let me know!

I'm hoping if I practice my commentating from now until SS you guys will have me back on the mic. Looking forward to seeing you all again at the end of August!

woodsta

Smash Apprentice
This was an absolute blast.

Shoutouts to everyone in the smash scene, you all rule. Special shoutouts to Gords for housing us and just generally being a king amongst men.

Peace

Dekar289

Smash Hero
was awesome just being a player and not a TO

shoutouts to ted for playing great. although some melbourne folk may feel like perhaps 'dekar isn't doing half the stuff he does in melbourne', this can be attributed to Ted's excellent adaptability and movement choices, it wasn't me trying to be fancy or taking it easy.

shoutouts to all the new ppl i met and played, look forward to seeing you all again at shadowloo (RJ you will be there, no johns!)

thanks splice for teaming in both games and putting in work

i feel like several aspects of the tournament organization were lacking but i'm sure gords and co. are aware of this themselves, and should still be commended for their efforts as, after all, it was a somewhat last minute job and they stepped up.

finally special shoutouts to CAOTIC (and roommates) for housing!

special message to anyone thinking about defeating me at shadowloo

Last edited:

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
shoutouts to ted for playing great. although some melbourne folk may feel like perhaps 'dekar isn't doing half the stuff he does in melbourne', this can be attributed to Ted's excellent adaptability and movement choices.
I hope we didn't come across like this. I thought you played beast Dave!
Real shoutouts soon

Dekar289

Smash Hero
just watched GFs, at the very final stock when ted pauses, could he not have DIed in and up-b'd? lol
i think he let me off a bit there

Splice

Smash Hero
After skimming Facebook particularly the Sydney smash group I feel compelled to briefly address the GF commentary for Melee (of which I was a part).
It was particularly a lack of professionalism over most other things; it seems a recurring theme in big commentary **** ups is people being worn out and careless after enduring a tournament. While I apologise for those that were upset I can't say I totally regret it because for me at least it has provided perspective and the discussion between proactive members in the community to enhance our delivery of commentary is beneficial, even though it would be nice to avoid in the first place. There are always things to improve in communities like this and I think real work is starting to get done in many areas, including seeding and bracket theory as well as organisation and management. Hopefully with the pro-activity of individuals like Joey and Mytus already making waves, a standard of commentary can be enforced during important matches. Either way apologies to the unsatisfied parties, I'll gladly never commentate again especially since I can be more of an asset to the community in other areas (my plan is to win a major in 2016 so I can buy recording gear and editing software to make combo videos of any and all Mewtwo players. Surely all those involved with Australian smash agree that this is needed)

$h0ut0ut$

Zer0 - I'm so happy to see you again. You are one of the kindest people I've ever met and it was great to stay with you over the weekend. It's such a shame that I haven't really seen you since Robocop in 2010, yet I regard you as a great friend because I just like you as a person so much from that first impression, years ago. I'm glad you've transferred into a strong Melee game and I hope you consider Smash worthwhile in the future. I know you prefer to work on professional aspects of your life as a priority, but I'd love if you continued to manage to spread yourself around (but don't spread yourself thin!).

Ted - Man you're a ridiculously good smasher. Incredibly cerebral, couldn't have learnt more if I played anyone else over the weekend. Not that I was able to apply everything immediately, which is why I think you're so good; You've got the hang of making adjustments very fast which is new to me because it wasn't as much of a thing in Brawl. I've only been heavily thinking about how it works in Melee in the last two or three months. Your ability to make adjustments is very visible to me. I think you should work on application of certain tech skill elements though. I know you can shield pressure, but you don't use it a lot and definitely don't seem confident with things like that at all in tournament. Shine grab is a fine substitute though, and I realise that tech skill isn't everything, but it's the only obvious thing to me that you could do to get more mileage after getting in against your opponent. I'm sure you know what areas of your game are most dire though, so good luck improving. I feel this weekend was the first time I really got to know you, since I used to not understand the tone in your voice all the time. Guess that's a pretty weird thing to say but I feel a lot better having been around you more now. I appreciate the exhibition of all the replica paraphernalia and swords and I admire your lifestyle.

Massive props to both of you for hosting me across the weekend, hopefully I wasn't too much trouble - apart from taking up 25% of the room in the kitchen just by standing in it while everyone else was trying to make food - I think I did alright at remaining meek. I hope you're thankful that I was able to bring a functional setup (albeit with only 3 competitive stages unlocked) for you guys to actually get some practice before the tournament, being as rusty as you two were on Friday night would've been regrettable.

As I've said already a dozen times, the team name Zero Te Deth will probably remain my favourite for all time.

Shaya - Thanks for having me over on the Thursday night and allowing me to leave my baggage at your place. Sorry for abusing your courtesy to force you to play more than 1 hour of Melee. That session of anger-gaming was crucial though, it placated my mindset for the rest of the weekend and got me playing mentally on point for ACL (although my tech was still average, but I didn't beat myself up about it!). Hopefully getting slaughtered by your MK and DDD on the Monday made up for it a little bit... even though Mewtwo is broken. Always fun to hang with you and I'm thankful to know individuals as unique as yourself. I am really delighted you made it to the event on Saturday and Sunday and found it worth-while. I watched some of your Brawl sets and realised that you weren't really at your prime during BAM this year, I think some of your older sets with Ted are way more intelligently played, even if your movement was a bit slower. I hope that Smash 4 reignites your fire, I appreciate good play and you're full of it when you want to work for it. I appreciate the extensive lectures about petty topics at both of the smash-party restaurant endeavours although I kinda of would have preferred to have gone without, sometimes I just don't understand what I'm getting myself into :p

And again, thanks for the
Deku Scrub

Gords - Collosal props for organising everything on the weekend and getting business sorted. Especially good of you to house all those rascally Queenslanders in addition to having myself and Alex over with about 3 minutes of notice. I totally understand what you were saying about your problems with Smash and understanding how to get better, plateauing really sucks. But hopefully it all clicks and you still did pretty good to beat Miles. Even though I was saying he choked it's still commendable that you could take advantage of that and score a pretty good placing (I'm pretty sure you came 9th). No amount of words can say it better than Phrase's sentiment; A king amongst men is what you are.

$pup - It made me really happy that you wanted to play friendlies after our set. It kind of reminded of my smash-relationship with Tom, always desiring more matches after a tournament set and just being interested in what we can get out of each other in friendlies. Playing you on Saturday was the first confirmation I have had of my note-taking actually being worth while and applicable, and I was on a bit of a high after I got to beat Smoking Puppy (I heard from Alex you guys loved his bad jokes? This is another one of his so thought I'd chuck it in). I haven't been praised as much by an non-VIC player before as I was by you at Gords. It was the first time I've ever felt overrated, it was almost surreal haha.

Phrase - It's uncanny hearing someone else talk about their problems trying to perform their best at a tournament. Results were definitely more unfavourable to you than anyone else, you were easily bracket worthy for this tournament so don't beat yourself up for it. One of the combos you did to me at Gords' house made me feel like I was playing against Dekar, it was pretty scary. As far as I can tell you need to work on making it harder for the opponent to get in on you. Throwing out moves that don't connect and not always establishing a "zone" can make it too easy for me to punish you for lagging or just run up to you while you're in an awkward spot and start hitting you. I'm really eager to play some SC2 with you, I'll have to get in quick before you remember how to play...

Mytus - You're a lovely guy, and knowing the rest of the QLD crew this comes as no SurPr15e. I'm grateful for your enthusiasm and kindness directed to just about everything and the width of your smile is stellar. Good games in bracket also, unfortunate that Sheik is my favourite matchup so you may have felt a bit worse about the set than you should have.

J-Birds - I'm so glad those dittos happened between you and Miles. Your title of DonK remains uncontested. You and $pup whooped me and Dave quite thoroughly in doubles Winners side, you two are definitely more effective as a team than us and lookout for each other quite well. Shame about the Best of 1 in losers.

Haikal - I really felt like my tears were getting harvested during those friendlies with you on Sunday. I got thoroughly rekt. Our Shadowloo Grudge Match is dawning upon us, how will this rivalry culminate? Should I beat you with Mewtwo?
Unfortunate tournament performance, Syke probably won't even put you on the next PR. Work on those non-spacies matchups dude!

RJ - Thankyou very much for all the friendlies, it was incredibly humbling. It's a shame that you were quite on tilt for Sunday (at least it seemed so), there are some pretty dumb things in this game like Peach vs. Peach so it was a bit unfortunate. It feels a little stupid to place even with you when our games went about 20 games to 1 in your favour.
I would like to get to know you better as a person in future :)

Julian - Nice Yoshi dude, the world needs more Yoshi's and we all need to get better at using our shied/parry/drops. Grats on beating Haikal, even if it was with C.Falcon and not the dinosaur it's still pretty crazy.

Invisi - Thankyou so so so much for housing all of my VIC homies for the weekend, you're a super nice guy and it
was a really big thing to do for you to transport all those TV's to and from the venue. Good luck getting into LoL casting, I think you'd be great at analysis with the way you formulate your sentences and talk about the game.

Dekar - Gratz on the win, and well played in P:M. I feel like I just avoided getting hit while you went to town, Mewtwo being able to float out of the way of your combos was essential though. I apologise for not being able to play well enough Spup and Jbirds, I truly was not ready for the way I had to approach the double Fox combo.

HoC Crew
Thanks to all of you for the support during matches, I think it's quite ridiculous that the VIC players got more support in their tournament matches than NSW players even though it's their turf. Good work beating Julian, Miles, that definitely wasn't an easy set and you played really well in it. Shame that you guys all had your share of salt after losing matches that you definitely could have won, but hopefully you can gain from it and take it as a teaching for the future (MHL style).
Go die Vaughn for stealing my bed in May, you can still go **** yourself for that. Hope you had a good time in Sydney though dude and found it worthwhile meeting a new crowd of the smash scene. I'm sure you'd have had a great time at Invisi's.

Hugest props to Alex, like literally we're talking SIZE 4 font props right here, for baby sitting me through plane flights. You did all the work in getting me to and from Sydney and it was mega sweet of you to allow me to stay over on Monday because I was too lazy to get a train. Nice Roy in P:M and I apologise for getting bomb checked at every opportunity because my hair is too long. Oh, and Alex, I'll just leave this here...

Last edited:

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
was awesome just being a player and not a TO

shoutouts to ted for playing great. although some melbourne folk may feel like perhaps 'dekar isn't doing half the stuff he does in melbourne', this can be attributed to Ted's excellent adaptability and movement choices, it wasn't me trying to be fancy or taking it easy.

shoutouts to all the new ppl i met and played, look forward to seeing you all again at shadowloo (RJ you will be there, no johns!)

thanks splice for teaming in both games and putting in work

i feel like several aspects of the tournament organization were lacking but i'm sure gords and co. are aware of this themselves, and should still be commended for their efforts as, after all, it was a somewhat last minute job and they stepped up.

finally special shoutouts to CAOTIC (and roommates) for housing!

special message to anyone thinking about defeating me at shadowloo
Lol I'm not. Have a fun time without me. =P

Gords

Smash Champion
As this was really my first tournament in which I took the primary role in organizing it was definitely a learning experience. Although I am aware that some aspects were lacking there maybe and are likely some areas in which I am not aware. It is for these reasons that I am very open to feedback from more experienced TOs such as Cao, Shaya, Ted and yourself Dekar.

Last edited:

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
Peach mirrors are the worst. I've been against it from the get-go. I can't deal with my own character, and it's a slow match-up, which is another pet peeve of mine. I hate slow match-ups!

Last edited:

J-Birds

Smash Lord
had fun
big ups to Gords, hes the hardest worker and a great human being < 3 was an honour

Last edited:

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
As this was really my first tournament in which I took the primary role in organizing it was definitely a learning experience. Although I am aware that some aspects were lacking there maybe and are likely some areas in which I am not aware. It is for these reasons that I am very open to feedback from more experienced TOs such as Cao, Shaya, Ted and yourself Dekar.
A couple of things for consideration:
- Front-load more events to Saturday to relieve the pressure of having to complete everything on Sunday.
- Stage QLD vs. OOS before NSW vs. VIC; priority events should be scheduled last.
- Consider axing the lunch period, as people will eat anyway, usually before or after their matches. Communication is key; so long as players don't hold up brackets by eating, you can remove the lunch break and earn yourself as a TO an extra hour of running time.
- Plan events with an hour or two of contingency (back-up time )each day to avoid the scenario of incomplete brackets by close.
- Livestream management is an extra layer which adds to the complexities of running tournaments. It seemed like some matches were preferenced for the main setup and subsequently held back (when they could have been played on other setups simultaneously). The best approach is maximise the use of all existing setups, even if it means sacrificing some of the high-level matches to alternative setups. It's a harsh trade-off but one that you have available to you upon discretion. What's more important? Having Brawl/PM Finals queued for the livestream, or possibly having Grand Finals for all events completed?

On a positive note, you were well-mannered and patient as a TO and that's a really important trait to have.

Splice

Smash Hero
afaik no formalised lunch break happened, and since me and Dave were still in 3 events (4 for dave?) by the time 4pm rolled by on the Sunday, there ended up being a small delay in matches played (we left at the best time possible afaik), granted if the guys at the restaurant didn't **** Dave's order we'd have been fine.

Formalised lunch breaks don't just decrease the chance of someone holding up the tournament by going to get some food, but it also makes the event far easier on the player. I still think there's merit in the idea, however we haven't actually properly established such a concept in a tournament yet and that's because it ABSOLUTELY does not work IF there are people who aren't totally clued in on the lunch break and it isn't made apparent when it begins and ends. Literally everyone needs to use this time and be free at this time otherwise it's a total waste of time.

Anyway, that's not to take away from anything else Cao said which are numerous good points.

My only complaint with the event was that you ran an amateur bracket when we were clearly behind schedule; several times I had to wait to play matches on TV's because the Melee setups were being used for Amateur bracket matches. I believe without this than doubles for all events would have finished.

Of course that event (amateur bracket) did finish and I'm sure all those guys had a good time.
Foresight on such matters can only improve. Well done Gords

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
There was meant to be a formalised lunch but it never happened and I suspect that was due to us running behind slightly...?

It probably ended up being more of an issue for you guys though, so I see the point. ;)

Gords

Smash Champion
There was never ment to be a formalized lunch break on Sunday. My main mistake was that I didn't make it clear to everyone that they needed to check with me before they left for lunch so what happened is that u went looking for people to play their matches but they had left the area. I was ahead of schedule till about 3pm btw and it was mainly due to the above reason why the we ended up falling behind

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
So I think shoutouts are probably due from me by now! =P

No particular order really, just what comes to mind:

Scarpian - What a way to make it in and blast your way to 4th! To be honest, i'm more disappointed that I didn't really get to meet you until the second day (luckily that window didn't end up being bloodstained! :p). You're a really great guy and I thoroughly enjoyed talking and doing stuff with you the whole time. Your link is something else, and i'm confident you can take him all the way if you really try (and if nothing else, I'll still enter Brawl tournaments if they come along!). Going in and upsetting against EA and silhouette is super impressive and your knowledge of the game already by your first tournament just left me astounded ("This guy knows how to DACUS with link!!"). Your presence of mind during each match belies the fact that its your first tournament. Like, your knowledge of punishes and powershields and the general pull and flow of the game is something to be admired. Great work, my friend, and keep it up! :D

Gords - Very impressed by your run of the tournament, and sorry I'm sure I must have gotten on your nerves a little somewhere - I have a tendency to ask a lot of questions when i'm not entirely sure what's happening and I didn't want to bother you too much. In any case, the tournament ran really well from what I was able to see with the only real hitch being the end of the melee and PM tournaments, and that's just something we all have to improve on really. Still, the weekend itself was just generally fun and awesome and that's all I've ever really expected from tournaments, so i'm happy that you ran it and tried to be as chill about it as possible the whole way through. ^_^

EA - Always happy seeing you again EA! I noticed you seemed pretty invested in PM this time around but I wasn't sure whether it was now becoming your focus or not. Still, your ICs are still something I respect. That match verses Scar I remember constantly turning my head to view invisi vs. iKill and back to your match just because both were really exciting for different reasons. If you're interested I really want to see your ICs vs my brother's Olimar - I think that would be a super exciting match. Hopefully that can happen next tournament; now that my brother is okay to being dragged along to tournaments. :p Good stuff sir!

Invisi - "Always a pleasure", I believe are the words! ;) But nah man, seriously it was awesome seeing you again and discussing the matches and stuff going on in the tournament, having friendlies and ultimately, that losers final set which just left you playing out of your mind (although I probably shouldn't have gotten frustrated and started approaching really badly but you still capitalised on it and played really well anyway). Seeing you at 2nd makes me really happy! It feels good moving to this point in skill level. Having experience and the joy of being able to share it is something I really enjoy and this tournament was one where we both did that. In the end, I sincerely hope you decide to come back to Brawl if its being played because i'll always be happy to have a match. Good stuff man!

Shaya - I'm sorry I left for several hours there on the Sunday. I would happily have come back and played more friendlies, I just got a tad caught up in all the other events which were also super exciting. Otherwise, I can understand your sentiment of not wanting to be caught up in 8+ hours of it all each day. Like, I still enjoy that, but I think that you'd probably feel a bit bored of it after the amount of time in the scene you've spent. Still, if you decide to keep playing Brawl competitively, it'd be great to have matches with you again (and I promise I won't just sit at the back and kill steal in free for alls! ... err, not that I ever really did that, did I? :3). But yeah, it was really nice that you came anyway. :)

iKill - Maaaaaaan, you make me realise I need to go back over my approaches! I'm glad I somewhat "scared" you in our match though. You were totally chilled throughout the whole tournament and in the end i'm not sure i'm surprised that you won, but even so, it was great to see you there after several years. We should have played more friendlies and talked more imo, but even so, glad to see you came and happy you got 1st! ^_^

Lux - I'm sad you didn't manage to enter the tournament. Playing you would have really helped me, i'm a little sad I didn't play you in friendlies more. I'm glad though that you were able to see my Project M is definitely not my Brawl game, that would have been sooooo embarassing! :p Good to see you though and happy you came. I suspect our matches will always be close. ;)

All da new peeps - So great to see you all at the tournament! You guys rock and i'm glad you decided to give the tournament a go. Pools is definitely hard on you guys but I hope you decide to come to more tournaments because at this point, you guys will end up being the lifeblood of the community. We're always happy to share information with you guys too, so if you're ever in need of advice on a character or a match-up or something like that, just come and ask us. I hope you're considering coming back but even if you're not, it was awesome to see you at the tournament and I hope you guys enjoyed yourselves. :D

Also to all the melee and project M peeps and such, I still love you guys. Having that buzz of activity going on around me is something I love and i'm really happy for you all that the scene is growing again. Good stuff guys!

P.S. I am truly sorry for the extra 20 minutes I may-or-may-not be the cause of at the end. Having an intrinsic desire to help got the better of my sense to make sure I was doing the job right, and thus the tangle of cords and sticky tape was born. >.> <.< v.v

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
And abandon my character? I'm not about that. Peach is too awesome for me in Melee to put aside. If Armada can overcome his weakest match-ups, then so can I.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Luco I'm happy to play anyone, just ask me at a tournament sometime. Also I'm not really invested in PM (or smash in general atm tbh), it's just fun to play friendlies in; PM is actually what I'm least invested in atm lol. Thanks for the shoutout.

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
ahh but he couldn't, he had to use young link, and even that didn't work at evo...
Yeah not that time unfortunately. I think Armada should go Fox with the Puff match-up next time they meet up in bracket. It's a big risk, but if he plays his cards right, he'll be looking at earlier kills and their sets would be much shorter and not a snore-fest.

Scarpian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scarpian
Thanks for the shoutout Luco! I had a blast! I couldn't stop pinching myself after that haha, I'm definitely up for another Brawl tournament (if there's any more before the release of SSB for Wii U).

Top Bottom