• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A week later, you still feel the way you do about the Final Presentation DLC?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I was pretty underwhelmed by the whole presentation.
Still am.

Corrin
Mixed feelings, enjoyed we got a first party newcomer. With some neat mechanics.
Felt it was weird getting another Fire Emblem character, that wasn't highly popular or requested as some others characters.

Bayonetta
In the grand scheme of things, i'm impartial to her inclusion.
However I do have my criticisms.
Not really a fan, would have much rather of had a different character, seriously disappointed she won the ballot.
Not really that hype or internet breaking that the final character should have been.

Cloud
It's cool having Link and Cloud in the same game, but I didn't really like that Smash went into this direction.
I liked the Nintendo theme better, than the Gaming Legends theme. I don't know, it's like so cool it's lame. LOL.

Mii Costumes
- Gill, why not Klonoa!? As one of the few Namco things in the game, it's disappointing.
- Geno getting in the game in some way shape or form is amazing.
- Knuckles & Tails got some love, appreciated that.

Surprised FF didn't get more representation after the Cloud trailer basically had a Smash x FF logo/ theme.
Disappointed we didn't get any more game modes or other content.
I felt that the last presentation should have been the biggest, the 50 fact presentation was better.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Almost two weeks now, and I'm still excited. Of course, the I calmed down, but my point of view didn't changed: I like almost all the content presented.

:4corrin::4corrinf:
Despite being surprised by the fact that it's a new Fire Emblem character, I was not against getting a new one. The moveset looks convincing, and Female Corrin looks cool.

I'm actually happy that, despite the whole "advertising character" thing, they kept going for the "original and fun" concept.

Looking forward this character. And also looking forward the songs that Corrin will bring, especially the original version.

:4cloud:
Well, we got him, I really enjoy his stage.

:4mii::4miif:
I'm REALLY looking forward Ashley's costume, and especially Ashey's wig. Bringing Sonic content, and Takamaru's costume is cool, and Gilgamesh is a nice surprise. The bionic armor is generic, but adds something lacking for the Brawlers.

:4bayonetta:
LET'S DANCE BOYS! ... In February.
I still hardly believe that it's actually happening. Definitely will play her a lot.

My salt has finally lessened. But I'm still underwhelmed. Not only by the presentation, but also by the whole DLC. Only thing that I was excited about was Mewtwo. Everything else was either "meh" or bad choices imo.

What disappoints me the most? Getting only one Nintendo newcomer, which was chosen purely for advertisement, and was another Fire Emblem character.

And I still feel sorry for Wolf fans. There wasn't any reason to leave him out.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I was at first really sad there was no Snake, Wolf, or a couple of newcomers I really would have liked. I still sort of am, but I've calmed down significantly since. I'm very content with Cloud and Bayonetta. Corrin, at first I was puzzled as to why they chose another FE character as a cross promotional (Elma for X or Fiora for PXZ2 would have been sooooo cool) but I came to accept their addition and I like their moveset. Plus, i kinda came to see them as a stealth tribute to Iwata as if I'm not mistaken, Fates was the last game Iwata worked on and finished (at least the first two paths).

Mii Costumes? I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

I felt that the last presentation should have been the biggest, the 50 fact presentation was better.
I agree on that it should have been bigger than it was. (Can't quote properly because mobile)

Last edited:

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
Well, I still miss Wolf, but I'll still support him until he gets into the next Smash.

On the other hand, Corrin looks really cool, and I can't wait to try him out.

I'm ultimately indifferent to Bayonetta, but I'll probably end up getting her anyway.

The Mii costumes also look really cool.

D

Deleted member

3 weeks later, and the concept of a dragon man is too alluring to where I'm actually hyped for Corrin.
Even if he's a lamer watery horse-dragon. But oh well; I got Charizard and Bowser for my badass fire-breathing dragon fix (yes I know Bowser is not a dragon, now shaddup).

The idea of Bayonetta being in Smash grew on me as well, but she is definitely a character that looks too complex for my taste. I'll try her out like the rest of the DLC, but I personally don't think I'll find her fun to use.

The sting of Wolf's absence also hurts less than last time I posted. I got over Mewtwo being absent from Brawl and just hoped he came back for Smash 4 (which he initially didn't), and I'll do the same for Wolf.
I think what really hits hard about Wolf is that he was basically seen as an expendable clone like Pichu was.
Ice Climbers had tag-team issues.
Squirtle and Ivysaur had Trainer issues that Charizard was too significant to share.
Snake had Konami issues.
Wolf really had no issues that would actively prevent his inclusion. He was just expendable.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
3 weeks later, and the concept of a dragon man is too alluring to where I'm actually hyped for Corrin.
Even if he's a lamer watery horse-dragon. But oh well; I got Charizard and Bowser for my badass fire-breathing dragon fix (yes I know Bowser is not a dragon, now shaddup).

The idea of Bayonetta being in Smash grew on me as well, but she is definitely a character that looks too complex for my taste. I'll try her out like the rest of the DLC, but I personally don't think I'll find her fun to use.

The sting of Wolf's absence also hurts less than last time I posted. I got over Mewtwo being absent from Brawl and just hoped he came back for Smash 4 (which he initially didn't), and I'll do the same for Wolf.
I think what really hits hard about Wolf is that he was basically seen as an expendable clone like Pichu was.
Ice Climbers had tag-team issues.
Squirtle and Ivysaur had Trainer issues that Charizard was too significant to share.
Snake had Konami issues.
Wolf really had no issues that would actively prevent his inclusion. He was just expendable.
Expendable sure, but so were :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy: before DLC.

Wolf just got unlucky.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Corrin's still just another FE character with a boring moveset, which upon further inspection doesn't seem to look particularly viable either.

Bayonetta's cool but not quite as internet breaking as Cloud. I don't really intend to play her games because reasons but she looks like a fun character in Smash and honestly isn't anymore out of place then Snake was.

I'm not very disappointed because I didn't really have any expectations going in. But another FE character who's probably going to end up being as terrible as the rest of them (sans Ike) isn't exactly something to get excited for.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I was angry then, I'm still angry now.
Bayonetta, I feel, is the worst inclusion in the history of the series. I didn't think anything could be worse than Dark Pit, but sure enough Sakurai shattered my expectations.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I was angry then, I'm still angry now.
Bayonetta, I feel, is the worst inclusion in the history of the series. I didn't think anything could be worse than Dark Pit, but sure enough Sakurai shattered my expectations.
If you're genuinely angry after a month, I suggest finding other things to do. You can be upset, peeved, irked, bothered, blahblahblahm but angry? Is it THAT bad?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
If you're genuinely angry after a month, I suggest finding other things to do. You can be upset, peeved, irked, bothered, blahblahblahm but angry? Is it THAT bad?
Maybe upset would be a better term.
I generally just try not to think about it, I've got academics and other personal projects to keep me occupied, so it isn't hard. Writing fiction and preparing for college. Don't come on here as much as I used to.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
After a month, I'm still overexcited for the upcoming DLC. I already have enough money on standby for both Corrin and Bayonetta, so as soon as they're out, they're mine!

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Wow, you must really hate Bayonetta.
I don't hate Bayonetta, she's pretty cool. I hate that she's in smash.
Similarly, I don't hate Spongebob, far from it. But I would hate it if Spongebob was put in smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Bayonetta is a profoundly minor and unimportant 3rd party character. A 4th party character isn't too many degrees of separation away.
Not really. Nintendo helped save her franchise, which has received critical acclaim. A 4th party character has NOTHING to do with Smash, and in most cases, video games. You can dislike her, but don't say stuff that aren't true or don't make sense. Nintendo has pretty much nothing to do with 4th parties. Bayonetta does

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I still don't like what I saw in the Direct, I already didn't like the majority of newcomer inclusions in Smash 4 and the final presentation just took it to another level. With that said, by the time it aired I was way past caring a whole lot about what characters they'd include as I've settled down fine with just playing as my usual veterans and knew they'd have to outdo themselves to make me play anything else, and to be quite honest I'd forgotten about Bayonetta and Corrin's inclusions for a long time since a lot of other stuff has been happening in my hobbies. So while I seriously disagree with what was presented I'm not really upset about it, I don't really have much space or time in my life to care that much about Smash characters anymore and it's always easy to just not spend the money on the DLC.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Bayonetta is a profoundly minor and unimportant 3rd party character. A 4th party character isn't too many degrees of separation away.
Word of advice: Never use the term "4th party character" in front of me again.
It's a bull**** term I despise and I curse Smash Bros. Crusade for coining it.

And I disagree heavily. Bayonetta is more important to Nintendo than SpongeBob will ever be. Hell, she's more important to Nintendo than Cloud is, yet I assume he gets a free pass just for being "Mr. JRPG".

Feel free to believe what you want to believe. Even if I feel it's unfounded.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
bruh.

Nintendo is the sole reason Bayonetta 2 exists and that game got huge praise from critics and is one of the best games on the Wii U. There was obvious demand and obvious potential for Nintendo. If you want to be salty Shovel Knight or an actual unimportant third party character wasn't included go elsewhere, honeybun.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
the only thing that really upsets me is that bayonetta was the ONLY ballot character chosen. i don't mind that she's in, but her being the only ballot character is extremely upsetting. i'm sure there were other top 5 characters that could've gone along with her. shoot i was hoping for at least king k rool and wolf to be added and i know that they were heavily demanded as well. to me sakurai failed to deliver. that viewpoint isn't going to change at all unless he does better for smash 5, which i don't have high hopes for anymore as long as he's the director.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The moment people insult other characters to build Corrin and Bayonetta up is the point where people go too far.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
When Corrin and Bayonetta were announced I immediately turned to a life of drugs and crime. My boyfriend left me, my friends won't speak to me, and I've been strung out for over a week now just cursing the names Corrin and Bayonetta. I've let my house fall into ruin, haven't bathed in days, and yesterday I sold an 8 ball to some schoolchildren. At night I am woken up in a cold sweat with flashbacks of them being announced. Soon I will be evicted and will have to resort to selling my body. As I type this with tears in my eyes and toxins in my bloodstream I know the only thing that still keeps me going is my burning hatred for those two.

The reprehensible implementation of that specific collective of graphics and sound for use as an optional and recreational pastime has truly ruined my life.

Thanks a lot Obama Sakurai.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I'm contemplating if I should make Bayonetta my new main or not, because my god does she look good.
When Corrin and Bayonetta were announced I immediately turned to a life of drugs and crime. My boyfriend left me, my friends won't speak to me, and I've been strung out for over a week now just cursing the names Corrin and Bayonetta. I've let my house fall into ruin, haven't bathed in days, and yesterday I sold an 8 ball to some schoolchildren. At night I am woken up in a cold sweat with flashbacks of them being announced. Soon I will be evicted and will have to resort to selling my body. As I type this with tears in my eyes and toxins in my bloodstream I know the only thing that still keeps me going is my burning hatred for those two.

The reprehensible implementation of that specific collective of graphics and sound for use as an optional and recreational pastime has truly ruined my life.

Thanks a lot Obama Sakurai.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Guys, you're being a little too aggressive here.
As much as I hate to be rude, you were being a little aggressive as well considering the choice of words you used

Giving this a month for me:

:4cloud: - HOLY FREAKING ****!

Okay seriously, I didn't expect him to make it in Smash at all. He pretty much broke me and I was confused on why he was chosen of all the characters. What disappoints me was the soundtrack. The. ****ing. Soundtrack. I was looking forward to J-E-N-O-V-A and One Winged Angel making it, but no.

He does play well and could end up being one of my secondary mains for the time being.

:4corrin::4corrinf: - wut

Okay, I get the idea that marketing was used here to advertise for Fates, which is smart. The idea of another FE character disappointed me, but the moveset? No, screw the disappointment. This character's got some really good moves and it's nice to see a water dragon in the play. I'm looking forward to this character.

:4bayonetta:- 0/10

Sorry guys, my salt has been lowered big time since she was revealed.

I was really disappointed that she was the ballot winner to where I felt it was rigged (still do by a slight chance) as I can list at least 5 who deserved the slot over Bayo. Bayonetta to me felt really off and doesn't seem to fit the theme of Smash very well. Yes. Bayo isn't as legendary as some of the other third-party characters and that was the part that bothered me greatly because I thought Smash 3rd parties were about iconic stars fighting and I felt she was too recent and not as iconic. If she gets more games between now and the next 5mash, then I'm fine with her staying. Not a character I am looking forward to seeing in Smash, but if I end up buying her for whaterver reasons, I would end up probably use her as my punching bag.

Congrats to all the Bayo fans though. I hope you all don't start freaking out when the next Smash comes around for roster predictions. :)

Wolf not making the roster hurts me because I don't see a reason to why he was removed. Not to mention that we had all the people out there who said that Ike, Lucario, Lucas, etc weren't gonna make it back, and they did. Wolf just got unlucky here and ended up not making it. I do feel that when 5mash comes around, he will be one of the highest requested characters to make it and I think it's possible he will be DLC just to force fans into getting him. Since DLC did a pretty good job so far, I don't see how they can't keep going.

As far as the costumes goes, they all look great. Happy to see that Geno got something going for him

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If we take cues with Sakurai's statement in the Smash Direct saying that "Bayonetta is a dream come true situation" and take the fact that the ballot allowed any video game character to be voted on, we can tell that Sakurai lowers his 3rd party standards for at least ballot candidates. He still loves adding icons and we can infer that with Ryu and Cloud, but I think he will give non-iconic characters a chance when it comes to the ballot, giving the fans a character what seemed impossible to many.

When you think it that way, it's far more understandable and easier to tolerate and accept IMO.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If we take cues with Sakurai's statement in the Smash Direct saying that "Bayonetta is a dream come true situation" and take the fact that the ballot allowed any video game character to be voted on, we can tell that Sakurai lowers his 3rd party standards for at least ballot candidates. He still loves adding icons and we can infer that with Ryu and Cloud, but I think he will give non-iconic characters a chance when it comes to the ballot, giving the fans a character what seemed impossible to many.

When you think it that way, it's far more understandable and easier to tolerate and accept IMO.
Well that and Bayo's mostly owned by Nintendo and SEGA IIRC, so it's not like there's a lot of paperwork to go through like with another 3rd party character. Platinum games seems to mostly be sticking with Nintendo too, outside a couple smaller projects. It's hard to strictly call her a 3rd party character right now.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well that and Bayo's mostly owned by Nintendo and SEGA IIRC, so it's not like there's a lot of paperwork to go through like with another 3rd party character. Platinum games seems to mostly be sticking with Nintendo too, outside a couple smaller projects. It's hard to strictly call her a 3rd party character right now.
Nintendo owns no part of Bayonetta. They simply published it.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So after a month later, I can safely say I still don't give a crap about the choices. No, I don't care we got another FE rep; No, I don't care if they "stole" a spot however that works; No, I don't care that Bayonetta won the ballot.

Because at the end of the day it's DLC meant for a video game. It wasn't meant to "be our savior" or whatever those in the speculation period said. It was meant to be a side thing -- a dessert if you will -- for the main game. Just something to get a little more money our of their cash cow.
Really now, it didn't matter if was Corrin or Bayonetta. Sakurai could've shown anyone else in their shoes and you'd still get the unpleasable fanboys whining that their beloved character wasn't perfect.

Maybe I'm still a little bitter even after speculation is over, but I don't care anymore. It's just not worth getting mad over characters being in some video game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In the end, it's just a game and I won't let things like "reps" and "legendary/iconicness" effect my enjoyment of said game. Especially when it comes to optional extra content that isn't even compulsary for the player to have. It's just that, extra content.

I was indifferent to Corrin and Bayonetta when they where first revealed and I still am. Sure, I would have been more excited if a character I actually supported made it in. But I won't condemn these characters just because they made it in over them.

I do like the fact that Bayonetta pretty much threw a wrench to the whole "legendary gaming icon's only" rule that some people religiously followed. So it will make it a bit easier to support certain third party characters now.

All in all, I will certainly purchase them and enjoy them just the same. ^^

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Exactly the same.
Bayonetta was my one and only dream.
Corrin looks great and I still feel like the complainers should be moaning about Roy instead imo.

Also, yes I would have preferred Elma to be the advertisement.

Top Bottom