• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A week later, you still feel the way you do about the Final Presentation DLC?

D

Deleted member

Last week, a lot of dreams died as Sakurai gave us a guy we already knew and two extremely weird choices.

Since then, a full week has passed, and I'm curious if people are still feeling the way they have, or if they have developed a new perspective.

For me, I'm still adamant about what I said last week; I will never, ever, EVER buy the Final Presentation DVD, and not because it's my choice, but also because I'd be a damn hypocrite if I bought something I didn't like because, at the end of the day, you're just shouting nonsense and they still took your money. I'm still just frustrated over everything, and given a full week has passed, I know my true feelings now about this. Unfortunately, I also have developed a negative opinion about Sakurai because for the longest time, I just shrugged him off as an enigma.

I posted it here because it also will refer to future Smash games.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Honestly I had no problems with the final presentation, or the fighters who were chosen. I think that Bayonetta will be a great addition to smash, and Corrin makes sense because they put Roy into Melee before his game was out too. At the end of the day, smash is one of Nintendo's biggest marketing tools, and putting Corrin in to advertise Fates is just a smart business move. Would I have preferred someone other than Corrin? Sure, but I'm not upset that he made it in.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
I hated the presentation and the characters it showed originally, and I still hate them now. My opinions on the matter won't change no matter what. I think it was one of the worst things Nintendo has ever shown.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno has representation in a smash game

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I ****ing hate Corrin's inclusion and I always will, call me a cynic, but I think that free advertising, especially for a game that neither needed or deserved it, just has to stop.

Bayo I love, but I'm just not satisfied.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Stating you will always hate something is immature and simply ignorant guys.

Your dislike will lessen with time.

You guys are young. Some of you not even 16. You will learn to accept it soon.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian

I agree. Their butthurt flows through these parts like a raging river.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I have the same feelings I did last week. Major salt...That the dead puppet got any representation whatsoever. Everything else? I actually enjoyed it, if you ask my irl friends, they'll tell you I couldn't sleep for hours because of hype

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm still upset we're getting a sixth FE character.

I'm still indifferent towards Bayonetta.

I'm still happy Geno was included in some form.

I'm still excited over the prospect of Cloud in Smash.

I'm still processing the fact that we're done getting characters.

I'm still underwhelmed by the presentation.

So I guess nothing has changed. Hurray for consistency?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

I'm in high school bro. Besides, it's just a matter of opinion, even if it's something you may like others may not, so respect bro. Peace out!

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I am dissapointed that We got Bayonetta and Corrin and there is only 2 songs in Midgar stage and there is no mii fighter costume of Alex Kidd and anything from Dragon quest (Erdrick costume or Slime hat) and other final fantasy characters costume (like Black Mage and Warrior of light).

I very happy that Geno has finally come back (kinda) and that's the only thing that made me hyped in the whole direct.

I am really sad that Wolf isn't coming back and they didn't give us Golden sun rep...
And I really wanted pokefloat stage to come back...

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I am dissapointed that We got Bayonetta and Corrin and there is only 2 songs in Midgar stage and there is no mii fighter costume of Alex Kidd and anything from Dragon quest (Erdrick costume or Slime hat) and other final fantasy characters costume (like Black Mage and Warrior of light).

I very happy that Geno has finally come back (kinda) and that's the only thing that made me hyped in the whole direct.

I am really sad that Wolf isn't coming back and they didn't give us Golden sun rep...
And I really wanted pokefloat stage to come back...
I have to say, I thought that an Alex Kidd Mii Costume was shoo-in at this point, as it fit perfectly into his limbs and whatnot. It still confuses me as to why we haven't gotten one. An Isaac Mii Costume was something I also considered shoo-in, but nothing for him? This direct has been something something heartbreak.

Last edited:

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
Bayonetta - Was stoked the second I saw her, February can't come soon enough.

Corrin - I honestly have no opinion on him/her whatsoever. I may or may not add him/her to my game.

Mii costumes - Tails and Knuckles? Yes!

Overall, no Wolf was a disappointment, but Bayonetta more than makes up for it.

D

Deleted member

I'm 26, and I have responsibilities over caring for my brothers and mother due to their debilitating mental and physical problems. I've been spending the past month having to adjust to this due to my mom having to fight anemia and other problems.

I know when I get over stuff and my disdain subsides, and I know when I know I will never get over how I didn't like, and I believe one week is a good indicator of your feelings.

If somebody was let down by what was provided and felt that the DLC was poor quality, then that's how they will feel. Much as how I dislike the people reveling in "salt", I find issue with people telling the disgruntled to "grow up" or "get over it".

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I actually quite enjoyed the final presentation they've given us. Sure we didn't get characters like Wolf and Snake (especially him given the bull**** between Kojima and Konami) but I'm really excited that we got characters like Bayonetta and Corrin in Smash, the latter in which I'm definitely gonna pick up as one of my mains (just look at my signature).

Others may not like them but I sure do and so does their supporters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I agree. Their butthurt flows through these parts like a raging river.
So, basically, either we accept and worship the almight Sakurai, or keep our mouths shut and maintain a hive mind?

Obviously, you have dismissed me as a whiner who is "butthurt" his favorites didn't get in, and could care less about my opinion, but I need to ask why you're so dismissive of people who are unhappy with the decision?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So, basically, either we accept and worship the almight Sakurai, or keep our mouths shut and maintain a hive mind?

Obviously, you have dismissed me as a whiner who is "butthurt" his favorites didn't get in, and could care less about my opinion, but I need to ask why you're so dismissive of people who are unhappy with the decision?
No. Just don't constantly complain about it. It's okay to like or dislike something, as long as you don't constantly act obnoxious about it, which is for both sides

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian

I'm dismissive because the idea of being this upset about new fighters in a game is ridiculous. I understand that the fighters you want didn't get in, but instead of blaming Sakurai and "gaining a negative opinion of him", you should just get over it.

It's not a hive mind, most people (even the ones whose choice didn't make it in) have simply moved on. Nothing will change who has already made it into the game.

Im not dismissive of people who are unhappy with the decision, I'm just dismissive of your post.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Here's an example
Good way to dislike the new DLC
"I don't like them, so I won't buy them. After all, it's optional and doesn't appeal to me"
Bad way to dislike the new DLC
"I FEEL SO BETRAYED THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO ME I HOPE THE FANS WHO LIKE THIS GARBAGE DIE IN A FIRE RANT RANT RANT"
Good way to like the new DLC
"I can't wait to play as them!"
Bad way to like the new DLC
"HAHA YOU DIDN'T GET YOUR CHARACTER EAT **** LOLOLOLOLOL"

finalark

SNORLAX
I ****ing hate Corrin's inclusion and I always will, call me a cynic, but I think that free advertising, especially for a game that neither needed or deserved it, just has to stop.
I take it that you hate Roy and Lucas for similar reasons.

I'm still excited and happy for Bayo. I personally didn't vote for her, but I love her games and I'm loving what they've shown so far.

I'm less excited for Corrin. I dig Fire Emblem, and I like that (Robin aside) they've started implementing FE characters that aren't just dudes with swords, but I don't have any particular attachment to him right now.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Is it not hard to get your hopes up after ****ing Cloud Strife from FFVII of all characters is announced? Yeah, didn't think so.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I take it that you hate Roy and Lucas for similar reasons.

I'm still excited and happy for Bayo. I personally didn't vote for her, but I love her games and I'm loving what they've shown so far.

I'm less excited for Corrin. I dig Fire Emblem, and I like that (Robin aside) they've started implementing FE characters that aren't just dudes with swords, but I don't have any particular attachment to him right now.
I don't, I just think that other franchises deserved better, especially considering that Fire Emblem already had a DLC character.

(I know it's a DP but I didn't want to edit my previous one)

Also I saw that pun there.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Is it not hard to get your hopes up after ****ing Cloud Strife from FFVII of all characters is announced? Yeah, didn't think so.
Now THIS is genuinely a complaint I don't think is bogus. On one hand, you put your hopes too high, on the other hand, we had gotten a character that was considered impossible by almost every Smash fan, how can you NOT get your hopes up? Disliking Corrin because it's not fanservice like Sakurai claimed but advertising is also a complaint I have no beef with

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Now THIS is genuinely a complaint I don't think is bogus. On one hand, you put your hopes too high, on the other hand, we had gotten a character that was considered impossible by almost every Smash fan, how can you NOT get your hopes up? Disliking Corrin because it's not fanservice like Sakurai claimed but advertising is also a complaint I have no beef with
It kinda reminds me of Nintendo's E3 Digital Event, massively hyped, so many exciting announcements beforehand that were really unexpected and thought to have been impossible (NWC 2015, Mother 1, Ryu in Smash), but largely disappointing in the end due to not meeting up to expectations.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It kinda reminds me of Nintendo's E3 Digital Event, massively hyped, so many exciting announcements beforehand that were really unexpected and thought to have been impossible (NWC 2015, Mother 1, Ryu in Smash), but largely disappointing in the end due to not meeting up to expectations.
Exactly. After showing big guns you expect bigger after an announcement

finalark

SNORLAX
I think part of the reason why the presentation was so underwhelming was in part due to how low key it was in addition to the lack of major bombshell announcements. Nothing about the presentation seemed like it was trying to get the audience excited for the new DLC, it was just kind of informing you about it.

I was honestly expecting to suddenly get hit with one final surprise reveal trailer at the very end but that never happened. I think Corrin was meant to be the big surprise but he lacked impact due to 90% of the gaming world having no idea who he is. The fact that the number of FE reps what somewhat controversial already didn't help.

D

Deleted member

Here's an example
Good way to dislike the new DLC
"I don't like them, so I won't buy them. After all, it's optional and doesn't appeal to me"
Bad way to dislike the new DLC
"I FEEL SO BETRAYED THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO ME I HOPE THE FANS WHO LIKE THIS GARBAGE DIE IN A FIRE RANT RANT RANT"
Good way to like the new DLC
"I can't wait to play as them!"
Bad way to like the new DLC
"HAHA YOU DIDN'T GET YOUR CHARACTER EAT **** LOLOLOLOLOL"
This is easily the best post I've read about reactions. I mean, I explained that the reason why I won't buy them is because I don't like them, but also due to the fact that if I'm complaining about them still yet purchase them, it doesn't make much logical sense. It's akin to somebody who doesn't like the service at a restaurant and tells his friends to avoid it yet continues to go to it simply because it's the closest to his house.

If you like the DLC, excellent! I hope you have fun. But I don't, and telling me to "get over it" is a very poor choice of words.

No. Just don't constantly complain about it. It's okay to like or dislike something, as long as you don't constantly act obnoxious about it, which is for both sides
Duly noted. However, I have felt that the people who were excited with the DLC have been more obnoxious than the disappointed due to the "salt" and "their tears are delicious" shlock. The people who have insulted Sakurai on a personal level have also been bad, which shows that there are chuckleheads on both sides. He's a developer, and he's gonna make his dream game, and if you aren't happy with it, you can go and find something else to play. Which is what I'm gonna be doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed a bunch more Corrin and Bayonetta fans speaking up here since the final presentation thing. I'm glad for that because I think that character choices are easier to accept when you know that they've made other people really happy.

My views on the final presentation aren't important, but if you want to read my hot takes, haha, they're in the spoiler tag below.
  • The Tails, Knuckles, and Geno mii costumes look alright. I'm glad those characters are all getting some representation in Smash 4. It's cool that Geno fans finally get something after steadfastly supporting that character for so long.
  • I can't say I'm wild about the inclusion of Corrin in Smash 4. They look pretty unique, but I don't think starting the presentation with another Fire Emblem character when we have plenty already made a lot of sense, especially given that Corrin's games haven't been released outside of Japan yet. While I get that they're a promotional character, I feel like other characters could've filled a similar role (e.g., the Inklings, Elma, Chibi-Robo, even Wolf if you stretch the meaning of promotional character a bit) while still being feasible characters that a bunch of people would like. If we had to get another FE character, I'd also rather someone who isn't an avatar/traditional lord for diversity's sake (maybe Micaiah, Azura, Anna, or Tiki or someone like that), though that's really just a personal preference.
  • I'll likely end up downloading Corrin anyway because a friend of mine who is really into dragons and plays FE will probably have a bunch of fun playing them.
  • I didn't know a ton about Bayonetta when she was announced and felt like she was an odd choice by Sakurai/the ballot voters. Watching some gameplay videos of Bayonetta 2 has sort of confirmed my belief that she doesn't fit Smash well. I know Smash has had some stuff that isn't totally kid-friendly in the past, but at its core, I feel like it's a silly game where Kirby, Pikachu, Mario, Luigi, Link, Zelda, DK, and Diddy can all battle each other in all types of stages using all types of wacky moves and items. I think Bayonetta and her stage really clash with what I see as the core of Smash Bros. and that's the main reason why I was a bit disappointed by her inclusion in Smash 4. Given the many other popular, first party, potential DLC picks that I think would've fit Smash much better (e.g., K. Rool, Dixie, Bandanna Dee, Inklings etc.), I just can't really agree with Sakurai and co.'s decision to go with Bayonetta instead.
Feel free to disagree with my views on this. You may have a completely different opinion on this than I do and that's totally fine.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I didn't expect either character, especially Corrin.

I initially thought Corrin was cool, I got hit with salt for some reason after seeing Baoynetta, be seemed to almost immediately loose it afterwards lol. Can't wait for February tbh.

I liked all the costumes and the new amiibos look good. Other than that, there isn't much to say sooo... Hype? :p

Last edited:

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually more intrigued by Corrin than I am by Bayo. Corrin is definitely not a Marth clone, and seems to have a decent play style.

With that said I'm neither here nor there on Bayo. She's still a cool choice I just would've preferred somebody else. Plus, anyone who's even remotely competitive at Smash will pick up Bayo and use the same combos over and over and make online not fun (Call me a cynic but literally the exact same thing happened when people figured out Dante had much more combo potential in MvC3 than any other character and so people did that)

I think what also doesn't help is that they blew their biggest surprise with Cloud before the final, so everything else that proceeded it was underwhelming.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am fine with the DLC... I just wish that some characters were buffed... :4duckhunt::4palutena: to name a few...

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
Initially I was unimpressed with the presentation. I'd never heard of Corrin, and when I saw that it was FE I dismissed it. Then Cloud was shown and I got kinda bored and zoned out. Mii costumes Yada Yada Yada (I've never bought one and never will). Then Bayonetta. Oh man Bayonetta. My feelings got so split here. I was initially disappointed that we didn't get Isaac. Then I saw the slick midair combos, Fox-esque lasers, giant smashes, multiple use side/up b, silly down B with a built in fail-safe, etc, etc. Although the IDEA of all that sounded cool to me... Bayo just FELT wrong. It's the same thing as how Snake was in Brawl and how Ryu was we he was spoiled. Somewhere deep inside me I can't help but feel like they don't belong in Smash. They don't fit the style.

Now a week later and my opinion hasn't changed... Except for Corrin. Now I still think that 6 FE reps is too many but now that I've looked closer at Corrin I'm thinking Lucina should just beat it. I mean being a water based fighter is a plus (I liked Isaac because he would use earth) which deviates from the huge amount of Fire effects that are stuffed in this game. She has a unique design in her dragon aspect that makes me interested and an interesting Side B that has huge potential. All in All she was the only thing I like from that lackluster last announcement

OH except for Sakurai's Bayonetta Glasses cosplay. That was a cute joke

Troykv

Smash Master
My opinion is pretty much the same (but a little bit less "salty" about the Corrin's Reveal).

Corrin bugs me, but I find his/her existence in this game logic.

Bayonetta is cool as heck.

The presentation overall still has an underwhelming feel, but I'm completely okay with that.

I've noticed a bunch more Corrin and Bayonetta fans speaking up here since the final presentation thing. I'm glad for that because I think that character choices are easier to accept when you know that they've made other people really happy.

My views on the final presentation aren't important, but if you want to read my hot takes, haha, they're in the spoiler tag below.
  • The Tails, Knuckles, and Geno mii costumes look alright. I'm glad those characters are all getting some representation in Smash 4. It's cool that Geno fans finally get something after steadfastly supporting that character for so long.
  • I can't say I'm wild about the inclusion of Corrin in Smash 4. They look pretty unique, but I don't think starting the presentation with another Fire Emblem character when we have plenty already made a lot of sense, especially given that Corrin's games haven't been released outside of Japan yet. While I get that they're a promotional character, I feel like other characters could've filled a similar role (e.g., the Inklings, Elma, Chibi-Robo, even Wolf if you stretch the meaning of promotional character a bit) while still being feasible characters that a bunch of people would like. If we had to get another FE character, I'd also rather someone who isn't an avatar/traditional lord for diversity's sake (maybe Micaiah, Azura, Anna, or Tiki or someone like that), though that's really just a personal preference.
  • I'll likely end up downloading Corrin anyway because a friend of mine who is really into dragons and plays FE will probably have a bunch of fun playing them.
  • I didn't know a ton about Bayonetta when she was announced and felt like she was an odd choice by Sakurai/the ballot voters. Watching some gameplay videos of Bayonetta 2 has sort of confirmed my belief that she doesn't fit Smash well. I know Smash has had some stuff that isn't totally kid-friendly in the past, but at its core, I feel like it's a silly game where Kirby, Pikachu, Mario, Luigi, Link, Zelda, DK, and Diddy can all battle each other in all types of stages using all types of wacky moves and items. I think Bayonetta and her stage really clash with what I see as the core of Smash Bros. and that's the main reason why I was a bit disappointed by her inclusion in Smash 4. Given the many other popular, first party, potential DLC picks that I think would've fit Smash much better (e.g., K. Rool, Dixie, Bandanna Dee, Inklings etc.), I just can't really agree with Sakurai and co.'s decision to go with Bayonetta instead.
Feel free to disagree with my views on this. You may have a completely different opinion on this than I do and that's totally fine.
Micaiah <3

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm personally pretty indifferent to the final two choices at the moment, though I am warming up to Corrin, and might get both him/her and Bayonetta for the sake of compilation eventually.

I'm still pretty disappointed that K. Rool didn't get it, nor any other character I wanted (anyone would probably be disappointed by the lack of a character they really wanted) but I don't think it's fair to blame Corrin or Bayonetta's inclusion on that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Last week, I was very conflicted on my views in regards to the Presentation.
Now, I'm fully accepting of what transpired, even if it's not to my liking.

Having one more DLC character would have probably been better IMO. Especially if that character had been Wolf.
I get that Lucas was the token "Brawl" returnee, but Wolf's exclusion hits the most heavily of the remaining veterans simply because while his exclusion from the main roster was justifiable based on being a lower priority character, he seemed like a no brainer for DLC, especially after Lucas and Roy of all veterans came back.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Personally I was apathetic about Corrin at first. But as time went on, he grew on me and I am excited to see how he works.

Bayonetta was hype worthy in general.

I didn't get who I wanted but hey. The games are still great.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Corrin was a bit of a punch in the gut. Coincidentally, not long before the stream, a user in the Nintenzone Social thread asked hypothetically how we'd react to a group of four characters, and one of the ones on the person's list was Corrin. I was against Roy's return at first, but he's since become one of my favorites to use. I'm sure Corrin will grow on me, too. Aesthetically, I think I like him better than the other Fire Emblem characters (other than the whole barefoot thing, which is probably the worst thing about his character design to me).....and on the plus side, he at least seems extremely unique (Marth #4 would've been ten times worse). I really wish they didn't give him a Counter, though.

I still do think Fire Emblem didn't really need any more reps, let alone two extras as DLC, but I'm not really upset about it, because I was already happy with the base game's roster. Wolf's failure to return really stings, but as those who frequent the Nintenzone Social thread know, I was among those who saw it coming, so I was prepared for it.

As for Bayonetta, I was shocked. I was one of the people who thought the mature themes of her game coupled with Bayonetta 2's commercial failure would prevent her entry. She wasn't really on my wants list or anything (In fact, in one of the "Rate their Chances" threads, I jotted her down as a "Do not want"). Truth is, I never really put much thought into how she would work in Smash, since I already considered her a no hope character.

From the moment of her confirmation and seeing her in action, I think she was a great choice and more than made up for any lingering disappointment I was feeling from Corrin.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Since the direct, my opinions haven't changed too much:

- I'm still salty about Corrin, but the more I look at him, the more I want to start playing him when he releases.
- I've gone from shocked about Bayonetta to indifferent. I mean, I'm happy for the many fans that wanted her, but I personally don't see her appeal. At least she looks fun to play and fits well with the cast.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
for me, corrin looks interesting. yes i agree that fire emblem has too many characters. and though i didn't get isaac in, corrin could make a good replacement, at least for me. being part dragon and using the water element are what i like about him.

bayonetta i'm still disappointed. honestly i still don't believe sakurai on the whole smash ballot results. i wish we had more nintendo characters from the ballot than 3rd parties.

however if sakurai would've given us wolf and king k rool along with cloud, corrin, and bayo, i would be indifferent about bayonetta.

overall i'm still disappointed and nothing anyone says will change that. the wait for smash 5 begins now i guess...

Top Bottom