• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Slime Draws Near! Dragon Quest's mascot's SSB4 support thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
So, it feels like it's been a while when it's only been 11 days, but with all the E3 news it's surprising we haven't recieved any word or leak about Dragon Quest...

But not to fear, as Square Enix have made a move at last! Just a pretty small one...

Dragon Quest X: All in One

It may not seem much that they're releasing a compilation of Version 1 and 2, but it is an important step! Given the expansion being fairly far into it's life now it was pretty much a given we'd get both versions upon western release, but it would have been rather weird to buy a game and then download a huge patch straight away... although this is an MMO so it's not unexpected. The fact they've now made a disk that's far more up-to-date with both version and the whole lump of the patches from the first two years does set up the groundwork for a western release, as that's what would be expected for a new release in our region (though with different language options obviously).

Moreover this does somewhat help my Dragon Quest Direct theory, as it does give them one more thing to talk about for the Japanese fans to fill out time while they discuss DQVII and X western releases (and any various spin-offs), allowing them to be in the same place when the Smash trailer starts.

It may be a small thing, but added to all the rest (especially those sub-titles, one of which may well be for this all-in-one package), it further supports our little slime-ball, and make me even more excited for E3.

I may have to make a General Dragon Quest Discussion thread in The Light House ready to post on E3.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
While I support Pac-Man above all else, I wouldn't be against Slime appearing...but, even after reading your moveset, I'm not sure what he would do...can you give me a list of abilities that he's used and a separate list of things that it is either implied that he can do or which other members of his species can do? I don't want to write him off.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Dragon Quest VIII iOS and Android Out Now!

Now that's out the way, I can give that a go Pacack, but it's kind of difficult given his different games, I'll list the series it's from in brackets and Bold the ones that are most iconic (at least within their series).

Used:
Spin attacks (Main Series)
Hopping Attack
Somersault Attack
Weapon Equiping (Main and Monsters)
Call for Help (Main Series)
Slimification [merging to become a Slime Stack, King Slime etc] (Main Series)

Side Step [evasion increasing move] (Main Series as playable)
Confuhit [attack that causes confusion] (Main Series as playable)
Retaliate [a counter move] (Main series as playable)
Fireball (Monsters)
Radiant Magic [lights up an area] (Monsters)
Mega Magic (Monsters)
Elastoblast (Slime Mori Mori)
Stacking Objects on Head (Slime Mori Mori)
Commanding a Tank/Flying Fortress/Pirate Ship (Slime Mori Mori)

Act as a mount for Slime Knights (Mori Mori)

Other Members:
Poison Attack (Bubble Slime) <It seems odd to count another family member as iconic, but as the first poison attacks in the game, these kill newbies a lot)
Dazzle [blinding move] (various)
Fireball (most notably She-Slime in main series, but used by a lot of slime family members)
Heal (Healslime and palette swaps)
Ice Bolt (Some of the slimes in DQM)
Whack [Instant Death] (Metal Slime DQM)
Act as a mount for Slime Knights (All Series)

Implied:
General Stretching (Mori Mori)
Turning into bubble/liquid slimes <This has been a plot point in some side quests, and bubble slimes are quite iconic within the series)
Ka-Klink [turning into metal] <Metal Slimes are extremely iconic too>

He's certainly got less to go on that Megaman or the like, but he has a good number of abilities, and most of his iconic abilities are very unique among smash candidates. I think to make a move-set that really captures what Slime is capable of you'd have to mix and match from the different series though...

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Dragon Quest VIII iOS and Android Out Now!

Now that's out the way, I can give that a go Pacack, but it's kind of difficult given his different games, I'll list the series it's from in brackets and Bold the ones that are most iconic (at least within their series).

Used:
Spin attacks (Main Series)
Hopping Attack
Somersault Attack
Weapon Equiping (Main and Monsters)
Call for Help (Main Series)
Slimification [merging to become a Slime Stack, King Slime etc] (Main Series)

Side Step [evasion increasing move] (Main Series as playable)
Confuhit [attack that causes confusion] (Main Series as playable)
Retaliate [a counter move] (Main series as playable)
Fireball (Monsters)
Radiant Magic [lights up an area] (Monsters)
Mega Magic (Monsters)
Elastoblast (Slime Mori Mori)
Stacking Objects on Head (Slime Mori Mori)
Commanding a Tank/Flying Fortress/Pirate Ship (Slime Mori Mori)

Act as a mount for Slime Knights (Mori Mori)

Other Members:
Poison Attack (Bubble Slime) <It seems odd to count another family member as iconic, but as the first poison attacks in the game, these kill newbies a lot)
Dazzle [blinding move] (various)
Fireball (most notably She-Slime in main series, but used by a lot of slime family members)
Heal (Healslime and palette swaps)
Ice Bolt (Some of the slimes in DQM)
Whack [Instant Death] (Metal Slime DQM)
Act as a mount for Slime Knights (All Series)

Implied:
General Stretching (Mori Mori)
Turning into bubble/liquid slimes <This has been a plot point in some side quests, and bubble slimes are quite iconic within the series)
Ka-Klink [turning into metal] <Metal Slimes are extremely iconic too>

He's certainly got less to go on that Megaman or the like, but he has a good number of abilities, and most of his iconic abilities are very unique among smash candidates. I think to make a move-set that really captures what Slime is capable of you'd have to mix and match from the different series though...
That's certainly enough to pull from.

I support!

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Slime is the third party I want to see most in Smash, not only because of how much I like the Dragon Quest series, but also so the exposure would get those 3DS remakes of DQM2 and all those other Japan-only recent Dragon Quest games localised. I really don't want to have to resort to importing or hoping for a fan translation to play them.

As for his actual chances, I think it's pretty unlikely he will actually make it in, though outside Pac-Man and Snake's return, I think he's actually more likely than any other third party making it in for all the reasons stated in the OP.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Slime is the third party I want to see most in Smash, not only because of how much I like the Dragon Quest series, but also so the exposure would get those 3DS remakes of DQM2 and all those other Japan-only recent Dragon Quest games localised. I really don't want to have to resort to importing or hoping for a fan translation to play them.

As for his actual chances, I think it's pretty unlikely he will actually make it in, though outside Pac-Man and Snake's return, I think he's actually more likely than any other third party making it in for all the reasons stated in the OP.
While I think alteast some of the games are getting localised either way, with SE's refocusing on their core jRPG market and all the rumours flying around, Slime in Smash would certainly bring exposure, and really help make Dragon Quest the household name it deserves to be! Still I guess the side games may miss the treatment without some major interest in the series being felt... which would be sad as I so want to play DQM3D!!

I really do think we'll get them even without Slime though, DQs return is bound to bring enough hype to tide the releases over and Nintendo Directs will help promote the games to solid profit margins. When we do get DQM2 3D I'll totally set up a Light House tournament, and I expect to see you join mister Tyrant!

As for if it's likely he's in or not, I agree he's not a likely character, but I'm not going to say unlikely either, he's on the lower end of middlish... And personally I think he's slightly more likely than Snake as SE are actually supporting Nintendo... though maybe Konami as a whole are more likely thanks to Belmont's high popularity too... just maybe!

I've actually been looking back recently to last year's pre-E3 smash discussions, mainly as the DQVIII Mobile reveal has made me pretty edgy for Dragon Quest news and I find myself searching for DQ news extremely fervently at the moment, and I noticed that Slime's popularity was pretty high at that time. While I think his popularity peaked with the Smash Bros Universe fake, that popularity didn't die straight away, meaning it was likely there while Sakurai was discussing the roster. Looking through neoGAF it took a (much smaller) hike not too long before E3 too, much like it did on Smashboards with this thread being made just a month earlier, and became reasonably well requested... Given these are the two most likely places for a Slime decision to be made (I'd say post-E3 is most likely given the DQ momentum starting only a few months after, and before Bravely Default), I certainly think the timing is advantageous for out gelatinous friend!

Still, we'll probably know in a little over a week what's going on for Slime and for Dragon Quest anyway, so keep your positive people!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Square Enix News Time!

FFXV and KH3 not showing at E3!

So again, why is this news to us? Well that's simple, Square have to have something else big to show on the floor, and now DQ has less competition! That said the competition is still very strong with games like Tomb Raider 2, Deus Ex, Just Cause 3, Hitman, Warhammer 40k, Bravely Second and Triad Wars on the line. We already have two unannounced SE slots known on the twitch schedule, so the question is will Dragon Quest get one of these? Will it be a Nintendo Direct? and will Slime get an announcement alongside?

Signs point to no, but I can't help but be hopeful, especially with their aparant new focus on their core jRPG fans...

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Getting close to the make or break time for Slime and E3 is only 4 days away. All we can do now is hope :c

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I have my fingers crossed! And various e-mails lined up to send to Square Enix dependent on how things turn out!

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Slime is already one of my mains... in Fortune street:troll:. If I don't play as Slime or Kirhyl, I lose. It's been so accurate its a little scary!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Slime's my main too, surprising no-one, though I'm not bound to him to win, I just like the guy! I also sometimes play Alena, Princess Moonbrook, Yangus, Daisy or, my wife, Bianca... What can I say, I love me them Princesses and Dragon Quest Characters!

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
So, the 'Riddle Leak' is looking pretty solid at this stage. Some of it's calls:

- Lots of spiritual dust here. Lots of it.
Phantom Dust

- Microsoft will drive you nuts.
Conker

- This will be the show of the dragons, i tell you. Lots of them all around.
There have already been alot from Xbox alone...

There is one to note though:

- That's totally NOT a chocobo.

This could mean something for Final Fantasy but XV's not going in... maybe XIV... but maybe it could mean something with Slime? It's a huge stretch, but I like the idea!

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully SE will show off more DQ stuff during Nintendo's presentation

As for slime, tomorrow is his last call

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Hopefully SE will show off more DQ stuff during Nintendo's presentation

As for slime, tomorrow is his last call
Hopefully, and yeah, sadly you're pretty much right... other than perhaps if they release patches for 3DS at Wii U launch, or they delay it past the Tokyo Game Show... but let's be honest, those straws can't take much more grasping...

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
The final few hours are upon us and we shall soon know the fate of our favorite gooball . . .

. . . Lets just hope he doesn't meet with a terrible fate

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Remember, there's always next time, he's not like a first party who can be doomed to permanent AT status... but hopefully it doesn't come to that!

Also, either way, Square Enix have only revealed two games so far, and one was already announced... they have three unannounced slots, two one after another, which makes me (in all my bias) think two Dragon Quest games are coming! Of course they could lie and call The Rise of the Tomb Raider unannounced, but signs are still looking good for Dragon Quest if not Slime, so look to the positives!

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Square Enix Presents haven't mentioned DQ, nor have Nintendo... looks like it's not happening this time guys...

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Hopefully, and yeah, sadly you're pretty much right... other than perhaps if they release patches for 3DS at Wii U launch, or they delay it past the Tokyo Game Show... but let's be honest, those straws can't take much more grasping...

So, straws have been grasped! TGS is 18th of September, Smash releases half a month later!

Sakurai has also said he wants this to be the ultimate character game... that screams third parties to me!

Moreover with Pac-Man just revealed if they want a 3rd party for TGS... I think it's us!

Last edited:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
There was no third party reveal so the table is still open. Also I didn't see any DQ news, did I miss it?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
There was no third party reveal so the table is still open. Also I didn't see any DQ news, did I miss it?
They just reveled Pac-Man, and no, nothing DQ yet.. though SE still have stuff unannounced aparantly, and their stream thing is going on for the whole event, lke live from the treehouse [I've been playing both simealtaniously]

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
They just reveled Pac-Man, and no, nothing DQ yet.. though SE still have stuff unannounced aparantly, and their stream thing is going on for the whole event, lke live from the treehouse [I've been playing both simealtaniously]
What!? I din't see a pacman reveal yet? Can someone please share a vid?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Oh thank you ^^ . . . . well my slime dreams are dead x_x
EDIT: Smash is released befor TGS in Japan... turns out I'm wrong.

We have two days of E3 and Square Enix does have two announcements today... but it's basically over at this stage...

Last edited:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Well we had a good run guys but sadly Slime doesn't look like he made the cut . . .

. . . There were a lot of fun times and I look back to the leaks that started it all

A this point having four 3rd parties is nothing more than a pipe dream . . . I was hoping one day we would finally see this:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I didn't know of that fake leak when I got into Slime support... I only joined the speculation scene after E3, but yeah, it was a good run, and his popularity has seemingly increased during this period; thanks to our efforts or not. Morover DQVIII shows somethng is happening at SE central, and we still do have a few days for them to reveal the DQ comeback... maybe next time he'll have a better shot.
My hope isn't gone yet, but realistically if we don't double up 3rd parties at E3, or get a DQ reveal with a release date suspiciously before smash, Slime is sub 5% chance at this stage...

Really the only only other third party you could keep back for the last minute reveal, without reason, is Snake, and only because he's a Veteran... an extremely unlikely veteran given Konami haven't revealed anything for Nintendo this year...

But not all is lost! Sakurai mentioned DLC in the round table, and while it was vague it may well be our last hope! If the strs don't align then we'll just have to make them, start petitions to Square Enix and requests for Sakurai, and make Slime DLC a thing!

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Dragon Quest IX just mentioned live on the Nintendo Treehouse... talking about Fantasy Life... my heart jumped for a second!

It's getting disheartening now, especially as the game looks pretty poor at this point...

The two Square Enix games on Twitch are Tomb Raider and Nosgoth... one more left tomorrow.

They have the Square Enix Presents trailer line up at 1pm E3 time, it may be shown off there, but not looking good.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
So Square Enix' E3 has now officially ended without Dragon Quest... and it looks like Slime didn't make the cut.

The only event left is PAX Prime, which may well get a reveal, but I think we've gone like Slime Mori Mori 3 and the ship has sailed.

I will still hold this thread open in case of DLC information, but I'm no longer going to be posting regular news updates... if you want that then you should all head to the General Dragon Quest Discussion thread where I will continue to provide new information whenever it's available... like a certain piece of news about Dragon Quest XI that came out today!

In all it's been a good fun chatting with you folks about our favourite random encounter, maybe next time!

R.I.P

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Dragon Quest Petition

This one's growing quite quickly and the DQ fanbase has a pretty loud voice post-E3, so I implore you to sign up, and make ourselves heard!

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
This thread has been dead for a little while, but in all the excitement of today something interesting has popped up for us DQ fans:

If Rayman can get a trophy for being second party in Japan do you think we could get a trophy for DQ being second party in the west? Dragon Quest Content is also highly requested in Japan, even if specific characters aren't that high, so any thoughts what this could mean for us?

Honestly I don't know, this whole thing has thrown me for a loop and I don't know what to think about it, but I guess it's gotta be a good thing given how we all thought any more third parties was basically deconfirmed at this stage...

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Really, is one of the only badass out there that could make my day.
Hopefully at least a trophy :p yeah.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I think there is good chance we'll see at least a Slime trophy now.
Also Rayman is second party?
Nope, sorry, my info was outdated and only kinda half true anyways. Legends WAS second party in Japan, being published by Nintendo, but Ubi later released a Vita version off their own back.

The Rabbids games where still Ubi Entertainment aswell so I guess he is full blown third party after all... I guess I forgot to fact check in all the excitement about yesterday?!

Stompu

Smash Apprentice
What if the down B changed the slimes form from the most well-known slime variations, so you have like a slime, bubble slime and say jelly/heal slime, and each slime has a slightly different side-b move and different statistics (weight, jump height etc) slimes could be some generic spell - Fizzle or something, whereas the Bubble slime inflicts a poison damage over time ability, and the damages the enemy and reduces stock % (there is a cap per stock, however)
The way I see it, slime would be middle-most in terms of stats, with bubble slime having a worse jump height, but being heavier, while healslime has a higher, floatier jump and is far, far lighter than slime - thus making the healslime a gamble choice (not sure if the side-b should be able to heal if it doesnt do damage)
The reason I chose the side-b to change is because then it doesnt stuff kirby up

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
What if the down B changed the slimes form from the most well-known slime variations, so you have like a slime, bubble slime and say jelly/heal slime, and each slime has a slightly different side-b move and different statistics (weight, jump height etc) slimes could be some generic spell - Fizzle or something, whereas the Bubble slime inflicts a poison damage over time ability, and the damages the enemy and reduces stock % (there is a cap per stock, however)
The way I see it, slime would be middle-most in terms of stats, with bubble slime having a worse jump height, but being heavier, while healslime has a higher, floatier jump and is far, far lighter than slime - thus making the healslime a gamble choice (not sure if the side-b should be able to heal if it doesnt do damage)
The reason I chose the side-b to change is because then it doesnt stuff kirby up
I think that'd still be considered a switching character, which are unfortunately not in the new game... I don't mind the idea though, but would call for help be switched to neutral if that was the case? I fear that might cause issues with Kirby...

I still personally prefer Bubble Slime (and subsequent poison attack) being his ducking animation, down tilt, and potentially down-throw, but I'm biased as I kinda thought it up for this thread :p, but getting Heal Slime or Slime Knight into the move set somewhere would be awesome too!

Stompu

Smash Apprentice
I think that'd still be considered a switching character, which are unfortunately not in the new game... I don't mind the idea though, but would call for help be switched to neutral if that was the case? I fear that might cause issues with Kirby...

I still personally prefer Bubble Slime (and subsequent poison attack) being his ducking animation, down tilt, and potentially down-throw, but I'm biased as I kinda thought it up for this thread :p, but getting Heal Slime or Slime Knight into the move set somewhere would be awesome too!
that sounds way better actually
In all honesty I wonder if Slimeknight might make a better character, that way slime is still represented and is the most iconic thing about it, but the animations look good and normal etc, and you can still have the slime side heavily represented

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom