• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Look at the Japanese Packaging

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
It's happening! The info is flowing! :grin:

Thanks for the translation @XKan

Well, I'll buy a physical copy but it's nice that the game could be put in the default SD card

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
With such a big memory storage needed for this game, by just downloading from eshop would take hours, so I will probably buy the game retail.
If anyone asking if these are fake or not, well.....who cares! The game is coming out less than a month any way, we will know soon.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
OK, I'M KINDA CONFUSED.

i went to GEO today to make my eshop version preorder, but the lady at the store told me they only had physical preorders and i'd have to come back on september 13th if i wanted to pick up the digital download card.

WTF.
GEO, COME ON! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE ONE OF THE BIG GAMING CHAINS IN JAPAN, AREN'T YOU?? how can you be behind ;^;

probably gonna check another GEO or maybe even another gaming store to see if they have the eshop download cards. they obviously exist since this thread exists.

apparently the dude who posted the pic to begin with had gotten ahold of the digital download card early, so it's indeed not released yet. i've only bought the card once before (for pokemon x) so i'm not sure how long before a game's release the cards start selling. it's mildly annoying because shops are starting to put up signs and screens showing gameplay and preorder announcements but they don't have the digital cards yet (only physical preorders). :x

less than a month left... come on nintendo, get dem cards out~~

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I'm kind of questioning the Legitimacy of this packaging. I mean, there's no mention of Shigesato Itoi or Ape Inc., which could mean Ness and Lucas were both cut, and Mother just got completely ditched. I know alot of people will say "But Creatures Inc. was Ape Inc. before" but hear me out. In both Melee and Brawl's packaging, Ape Inc. and Creature Inc. were both cited, to show that one worked on Earthbound/Mother while the other works on Pokemon. And again, Shigesato Itoi was cited in order to give credit to Mother 3 as it was also represented in Brawl. So tell me this, why would they choose to stop citing them as seperate now? After they've done it multiple times in the past? If you don't believe me, here's the proof:

Ape Inc. and Shigesato Itoi(for Brawl) are both listed there along side Creatures Inc. and Hal Laboratory. :\ I'm not neccessarily calling this fake, but i'm questioning the legitimacy of it after seeing this.

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
I'm kind of questioning the Legitimacy of this packaging. I mean, there's no mention of Shigesato Itoi or Ape Inc., which could mean Ness and Lucas were both cut, and Mother just got completely ditched. I know alot of people will say "But Creatures Inc. was Ape Inc. before" but hear me out. In both Melee and Brawl's packaging, Ape Inc. and Creature Inc. were both cited, to show that one worked on Earthbound/Mother while the other works on Pokemon. And again, Shigesato Itoi was cited in order to give credit to Mother 3 as it was also represented in Brawl. So tell me this, why would they choose to stop citing them as seperate now? After they've done it multiple times in the past? If you don't believe me, here's the proof:

Ape Inc. and Shigesato Itoi(for Brawl) are both listed there along side Creatures Inc. and Hal Laboratory. :\ I'm not neccessarily calling this fake, but i'm questioning the legitimacy of it after seeing this.
I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of not having any Mother/Earthbound characters/whatever on the actual boxart. Without anything like that, they wouldn't need to place the copyright directly on the box. Look at both the Melee and Brawl packages, each one has either Ness or Lucas on them. Smash 3DS packaging doesn't have either. And if you think about it, Mr. Saturn has already been confirmed as an item, so I doubt the copyrights on the packaging actually say anything about the presence or absence of unconfirmed characters.

This has been brought up before, though.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of not having any Mother/Earthbound characters/whatever on the actual boxart. Without anything like that, they wouldn't need to place the copyright directly on the box. Look at both the Melee and Brawl packages, each one has either Ness or Lucas on them. Smash 3DS packaging doesn't have either. And if you think about it, Mr. Saturn has already been confirmed as an item, so I doubt the copyrights on the packaging actually say anything about the presence or absence of unconfirmed characters.

This has been brought up before, though.
I would agree with that, except Mega Man, Sega and Namco Bandai have been cited and yet MM, Pac Man or Sonic haven't been on either the Wii U or 3DS covers. :\ Maybe it's a different for third party characters, but still, i don't neccessarily think it depends on who's on the cover to get cited. Also, i don't know if you noticed, but only Lucas is on the back side of the cover, NEss is nowhere to be seen and they still cited Ape anyway, and before you say anything, Ape did not work on Mother 3(Lucas's game). Here's the boxart itself if you want proof:

So again, i question the legitimacy of this Smash 4 boxart.

Last edited:

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
I would agree with that, except Mega Man, Sega and Namco Bandai have been cited and yet MM, Pac Man or Sonic haven't been on either the Wii U or 3DS covers. :\ Maybe it's a different for third party characters, but still, i don't necessarily think it depends on who's on the cover to get cited.
Actually, they are all on the packaging, in the top right corner:

Oh, and the fact that Namco Bandai was also one of the developers to actually work on the game, so it's kinda under their copyright by default.

Also, i don't know if you noticed, but only Lucas is on the back side of the cover, Ness is nowhere to be seen and they still cited Ape anyway, and before you say anything, Ape did not work on Mother 3(Lucas's game). Here's the boxart itself if you want proof:

This point is interesting, though... I can't counter that.

This packaging does still seem legit to me, and I gotta say that I don't think the boxart has any barrings on who won't be present this time around, but I don't have any solid evidence to this effect, so I may be completely wrong.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Actually, they are all on the packaging, in the top right corner:

Oh, and the fact that Namco Bandai was also one of the developers to actually work on the game, so it's kinda under their copyright by default.

This point is interesting, though... I can't counter that.

This packaging does still seem legit to me, and I gotta say that I don't think the boxart has any barrings on who won't be present this time around, but I don't have any solid evidence to this effect, so I may be completely wrong.
Oh whoops, nevermind about the Third party characters, sorry, didnt see them. XD And i forgot Namco worked on this one.

But yeah, i don't think it neccessarily has to be about the characters on the cover. I admit though, this packaging does look legit. But i just can't accept that Sakurai would dump both Lucas and Ness and have no Mother representative, especially given he has Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badges in the game.

If that's the case, then he doesn't know what he's getting himself into. Mother has had a rocky past with Nintendo, and the fans always outcry about unfair stuff like this because of what's happened in the past. The last thing NOA wants is more Mother outcries from the fans, and the fans will rampage if their franchise gets completely removed from Smash. Plus that would mean the Original 12 rule would be broken too.

Maybe it's just a mistake, or maybe they finally chose to have Creatures represent both Ape and its current title(i doubt they'd start now though,w hen they havent before), but i kind of doubt they'd forget to cite those ones if Ness and Lucas are in the game.

Hong

The Strongest
@ spiderfreak1011 spiderfreak1011
Dosei-san/Mr. Saturn is a licensed product and they couldn't use him or his image without having to deal with licensing, so I wouldn't worry about it. We know he's in the game, which means Mother is in the game.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I wouldn't worry about Ness and Lucas. If Kojima had to audacity to ADD another clone (Lucina) then Lucas won't be cut, seeing as the only "clone-y" thing about him is that he has similar B-moves to Ness (even then they have different properties). And Ness will be in the game. It's as certain as Captain Falcon's eventual confirmation.

Why they've waited this long to announce either child is beyond me though.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I would agree with that, except Mega Man, Sega and Namco Bandai have been cited and yet MM, Pac Man or Sonic haven't been on either the Wii U or 3DS covers. :\ Maybe it's a different for third party characters, but still, i don't neccessarily think it depends on who's on the cover to get cited. Also, i don't know if you noticed, but only Lucas is on the back side of the cover, NEss is nowhere to be seen and they still cited Ape anyway, and before you say anything, Ape did not work on Mother 3(Lucas's game). Here's the boxart itself if you want proof:

APE probably needs to be credited as soon as the Mother IP itself is brought in, it's not limited to certain characters from the franchise itself. It's likely just based off of what's on the starting roster.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Off topic, but how much content did pokemon x and y actually have?
More than 720 Pokémon 3D models, each with various different animations for Pokémon Amie, mega evolutions, 212 music tracks, different models for the player character (because of trainer customization), etc. There is a lot of data in the game, but as far as features are concerned, X and Y were actually a huge step down compared to Black 2 and White 2.

AppleCracker

Smash Apprentice
in my case, this is THE game i was saving blocks for.

i have an 8GB sd card and my only other game on it is pokemon... but that means combined with smash, half of my sd card is used up. wondering if maybe i should pick up a 32GB just to be safe. but then again what else would i possibly put on my SD...? i guess sapphire and potential monster hunter. ok, i'll pick up a bigger card even though i'll probably be fine.
I mean for like ESHop only games that take up a lot of space. I just don't want smash taking up all that space.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
More than 720 Pokémon 3D models, each with various different animations for Pokémon Amie, mega evolutions, 212 music tracks, different models for the player character (because of trainer customization), etc. There is a lot of data in the game, but as far as features are concerned, X and Y were actually a huge step down compared to Black 2 and White 2.
O_o
Wow, all that stuff in X&Y and smash still takes up more blocks. Smash must defiantly be bigger than X&Y.

Last edited:

linszoid

Smash Cadet
The lack of a copyright on the box doesn't mean a character is decomfirmed. After all the Melee box doesn't have intelligent systems despite the fact the game has two Fire Emblem characters.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The lack of a copyright on the box doesn't mean a character is decomfirmed. After all the Melee box doesn't have intelligent systems despite the fact the game has two Fire Emblem characters.
64 doesn't have APE either, which would deconfirm Ness, and notice Smash 4 doesn't either.

I mean seriously, if they had the companies listed on the back, it would be a gigantic spoiler.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I think the copyright on the back is only for what appears on the boxart and not the actual game. Ness appears in Melee's boxart and so does Lucas on Brawl's. And Itoi was credited on both games.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Snake is really the only character that could be considered disconfirmed, because he doesn't appear along side with the other 3rd party characters in that picture.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Snake is really the only character that could be considered disconfirmed, because he doesn't appear along side with the other 3rd party characters in that picture.
Well Konami not be credited does get me worried, But for some reason SHEGASTO ITOI and Ape Inc. isn't credited so this could not be final!

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well Konami not be credited does get me worried, But for some reason SHEGASTO ITOI and Ape Inc. isn't credited so this could not be final!
I'm not talking about the copyright. I'm talking about the group picture with Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Sonic. Snake isn't there, and he appeared on the back of Brawl's box and was advertised.

Kirbybrawl

Smash Cadet
Nintendo would benefit more by putting there own character with snakes moves than having snake in the game. All it's going to do is promote snake and what's nintendo going to gain with that? Get some of snakes fans to buy smash again? That's not many people that are willing to just buy a 3ds or wii u if they don't have one already to support the character compared to them bringing back a series and making it instantly popular due to the fighter they chose and have a potential future with a new 3ds game. For example advance wars.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Nintendo would benefit more by putting there own character with snakes moves than having snake in the game. All it's going to do is promote snake and what's nintendo going to gain with that? Get some of snakes fans to buy smash again? That's not many people that are willing to just buy a 3ds or wii u if they don't have one already to support the character compared to them bringing back a series and making it instantly popular due to the fighter they chose and have a potential future with a new 3ds game. For example advance wars.
More people bought Brawl because of Snake than any other smash game since the original for any other character (Sonic aside).

That's a fact.

The interest in "Smash 3" went from a popular thing among a few hundred people to a few million because of Snake's confirmation.

Also, no Nintendo-owned character makes sense with Snake's moves. That's like giving Kirby's moveset to Mario.

It would literally be like a skin and nothing more. It would literally be the first "rep" in Smash, which is an awful thing to think about.

Last edited:

Reila

Nintendo would totally benefit by putting Snake in the box art of the game, that is for sure. He is one of the most well known video game characters.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Nintendo would totally benefit by putting Snake in the box art of the game, that is for sure. He is one of the most well known video game characters.
I don't think that's the reason why they would benifit by putting him on the box.

sure, he's well known, but nintendo has a lot of well known characters on the box of their own! the reason to put snake on the box is to appeal to a wider audience.

Reila

I don't think that's the reason why they would benifit by putting him on the box.

sure, he's well known, but nintendo has a lot of well known characters on the box of their own! the reason to put snake on the box is to appeal to a wider audience.
So... Nintendo would totally benefit by putting Snake in the box art of the game. That is what I said.

Reila

yeah, no argument there, I just felt your reasoning was.... flawed. Not bad, but flawed.
Your own post supports what I said, but somehow my reasoning is flawed. Oook, master of the reasoning! :p

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Still hoping Snake isn't disconfirmed just because of an image of boxart. Still have 3 weeks to go for Japan.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Your own post supports what I said, but somehow my reasoning is flawed. Oook, master of the reasoning! :p
Wait.... *rereads post*

Oh, the "he is a well known video game character" part wasn't part of your initial point. I'm at fault then.

Top Bottom