• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Better Disney Rep Than Sora: Scrooge McDuck for Smash 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

link2702

Smash Champion
Highlights:

#31-40: Non-Nintendo characters added into the game MUST have appeared on a Nintendo platform. They cannot be from a manga/anime. The tentative number of non-Nintendo characters to be added after Snake is 1-2, but this can still change.

anime, basically cartoons, he made it quite clear there, no cartoon characters in smash.

now why don't you get your head outta your ass and quit hoping for characters that stand 0 chance in hell of getting in smash.

Of course it just makes it all the more sweet and hilarious when the characters you keep hoping will show up such as anime/cartoon characters are no where to be found:happysheep:

cuz then i am in full right to rub your nose in it even more.

keep on hoping for characters that stand no chance, y'all are only setting yourselves up for the disappointments.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Nobody really cares about what he said.
Do you really think I made this thread because I believe he's going to make it?
No, I did it for fun. It's a blog about a video game, all I did was make a thread about a character I would enjoy in Smash if it ever did happen, which I have expressed in this very thread if you bothered to read through it that I don't think it ever will. It's really not a big deal.
So if you don't support Scrooge, stay out of his thread.

PS: Dark Pit's not happening either, he's just a palette swap. :troll:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't know why anyone would think we're expecting Scrooge or think he's likely after supporters have already said they aren't expecting him.

D

Deleted member

Highlights:

#31-40: Non-Nintendo characters added into the game MUST have appeared on a Nintendo platform. They cannot be from a manga/anime. The tentative number of non-Nintendo characters to be added after Snake is 1-2, but this can still change.

anime, basically cartoons, he made it quite clear there, no cartoon characters in smash.

now why don't you get your head outta your *** and quit hoping for characters that stand 0 chance in hell of getting in smash.

Of course it just makes it all the more sweet and hilarious when the characters you keep hoping will show up such as anime/cartoon characters are no where to be found:happysheep:

cuz then i am in full right to rub your nose in it even more.

keep on hoping for characters that stand no chance, y'all are only setting yourselves up for the disappointments.

Not only are you an asshole that doesn't seem to grasp that no one in this thread thinks Scrooge actually has a decent chance, but you also too incompetent to grasp that the "Highlight" you quoted was SamuraiPanda's initial interpretation of what Sakurai said, NOT what Sakurai directly said. SamuraiPanda later removed the "They cannot be from a manga/anime" part, BTW.
You can see that in his old thread that's still around.
http://www.smashboards.com/threads/samuraipandas-translation-thread-updated-11-1.72642/

Then in his Full Story part, he clarifies that Sakurai "starts by saying there wont be any manga characters."

Which I can verify, because (thanks to WaybackMachine)....
This is what Sakurai said:
Sakurai said:
マンガキャラの参戦は、ありえません。
Which roughly translates to "Manga characters will not participate."

That doesn't mean that all characters have to originate in a video game. All that is saying is that commonly requested manga characters like Goku, Naruto, Monkey D. Luffy, etc. would not be in Brawl. (In other words, telling people to stop requesting them; they're not showing up.)
But the statement has been telephoned so much by people that it was eventually corrupted into the bull**** you spout today.

The only "rule" Sakurai has for guests is that they must have been on a Nintendo platform at least once. Going by that rule, Scrooge McDuck is eligible. Doesn't mean he's likely.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I'll repeat what I said on the first page. Scrooge isnt a third party character and therefore won't be in the game.

If Scrooge is on the NES, he's a character, owned by another company, developed by a third party, and appearing on first party console. Capcom doesn't own him, so he's not a third party character. That's where the term fourth party comes. Although to my knowledge it's not widely use in game terminology, Scrooge still isn't a third party character. He isn't owned by a third party video game company. Sakurai has only ever talked about third party and first party characters being Smash.

D

Deleted member

Fourth Party doesn't exist.

Anything and everything that is not owned by Nintendo or one of their subsidiaries is third party to them.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
the term third party company in this instance specifically refers to video game companies. So scrooge isn't a third party character because he's not owned by a third party video game company. I just used fourth party to describe it. there really isn't a term in gaming to my knowledge, as I said.

it's a zero percent chance.

And this thread has gone on too long without:
Ducktales Theme Song
Or just the intro

essential with the characters.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
the term third party company in this instance specifically refers to video game companies. So scrooge isn't a third party character because he's not owned by a third party video game company. I just used fourth party to describe it. there really isn't a term in gaming to my knowledge, as I said.

Ducktales Theme Song
Or just the intro

:laugh:

D

Deleted member

Ducktales Theme Song
Or just the intro

"In this instance"
So pretty much in make-believe land.

Since the concept of "4th Party" is non-existant (which is why there isn't a term for it in gaming). And I will forever curse Smash Bros. Crusade for coining the term.

Scrooge McDuck is an intellectual property that is not owned by Nintendo or one of Nintendo's affiliates. That makes him 3rd Party to Nintendo. No ifs, no ands, no buts.

And seeing as I already established that Sakurai's only rule for guests is that they have to have appeared on a Nintendo system, that makes Scrooge eligible. That does NOT however, mean he's any likely. Far from it, actually, considering Disney would be involved in legal permission.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
you can look up the term third party for video games and see what it says. he specifically refers to third party in video game terms within the context of all interviews. That's why I included "in this instance."

By your logic, the following characters are also eligible for Smash: Wolverine, Spider-Man, Batman, The Rock, Optimus Prime, Jack Sparrow, and Harry Potter. I just want clarification.

I think the problem is that Sakurai does not specifically have to deconfirm a set of characters for them to have a zero percent chance. He never has said he was open to non-video game characters. Sakurai does go down the line and specifically deconfirm characters or characters set for the most part. There also certain criteria he states for third party chara

Prior to Sakurai ruling out manga characters, were manga characters expected to (seriously) ever have any chance of being in Brawl or any other game in the series? He didn't need to deconfirm those characters to have a zero percent chance. I would argue that manga characters have always had a zero percent chance, regardless of what he said. There are also a great deal of third party characters with a zero percent chance, without Sakurai specifically deconfirming them. There are even Nintendo characters with a zero percent chance.

After thinking this over, I probably need to change most of my ratings in RTC.

link2702

Smash Champion
No, I did it for fun. It's a blog about a video game, all I did was make a thread about a character I would enjoy in Smash if it ever did happen, which I have expressed in this very thread if you bothered to read through it that I don't think it ever will. It's really not a big deal.

you say that as if i was expecting or even wanting dark pit as an actual playable character. If you only knew who i was at other sites i go to like IGN..., and even here plenty of times, I'm strongly in the view that dark pit deserves only to be a palette swap and nothing else, the only thing he might even get is dark pits attitude/voice from KI:U, and that's a stretch.

but nice try though :happysheep:

link2702

Smash Champion

you say that as if i was expecting or even wanting dark pit as an actual playable character. If you only knew who i was at other sites i go to like IGN..., and even here plenty of times, I'm strongly in the view that dark pit deserves only to be a palette swap and nothing else, the only thing he might even get is dark pits attitude/voice from KI:U, and that's a stretch.

D

Deleted member

you can look up the term third party for video games and see what it says. he specifically refers to third party in video game terms within the context of all interviews. That's why I included "in this instance."
I always see him refer to them in context of being guests and non-Nintendo characters. Since that's what they are.

By your logic, the following characters are also eligible for Smash: Wolverine, Spider-Man, Batman, The Rock, Optimus Prime, Jack Sparrow, and Harry Potter. I just want clarification.[/quote]
Elligible, yes.
Likely? Other than Batman who might be considered slightly more likely than Scrooge McDuck if you want to stretch it, the rest are less. Hell, even Banjo-Kazooie are more likely, and they're Microsoft properties now. That should give an idea on how likely they are.
Though as I said in an earlier post, a near-zero percentile is still not zero. Even if it's in the billionth of a percent.

I think the problem is that Sakurai does not specifically have to deconfirm a set of characters for them to have a zero percent chance. He never has said he was open to non-video game characters. Sakurai does go down the line and specifically deconfirm characters or characters set for the most part. There also certain criteria he states for third party chara
Though as I said in an earlier post, a near-zero percentile is still not zero. Even if it's in the billionth of a percent.
Prior to Sakurai ruling out manga characters, were manga characters expected to (seriously) ever have any chance of being in Brawl or any other game in the series? He didn't need to deconfirm those characters to have a zero percent chance. I would argue that manga characters have always had a zero percent chance, regardless of what he said. There are also a great deal of third party characters with a zero percent chance, without Sakurai specifically deconfirming them. There are even Nintendo characters with a zero percent chance.
And prior to Brawl, no non-Nintendo character ever had a chance.

After thinking this over, I probably need to change most of my ratings in RTC.
...ok.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
until information changes, other non-video game characters have a zero percent chance. of course, you can always reassess a prediction when more information becomes available. third party characters' chances were only made possible because of the inclusion of Snake.

he has referred to guest characters as third party characters on several occasions. For example: "Smash Bros. can still be considered as an all-star collection of Nintendo characters. Just like with Mega Man or any other third-party character, it would have to be a very special situation."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06...ters-receive-no-priority-for-super-smash-bros

I don't think Scrooge is a third party character, by my understanding of what a third party character is. Sakurai has never defined the term third party character, so that is open to interpretation. But he has also laid out criteria by which Scrooge doesn't fit, even if he was a third party character.

Eligible is not the same as has a chance to be in the game. You can be eligible for something but still have zero chance of getting it.

It appears we just have a different understanding of probability.
my bad.

I think the Moon should be Scrooge McDuck's stage. Any other suggestions?

D

Deleted member

Read what I said again.
"In context of being guests and non-Nintendo characters". That's what third-party (to Nintendo) characters are. They're guests that are non-Nintendo.

Also yes, eligible =/= has a chance.
Has very little chance =/= has no chance
has no chance = impossible
impossible =/= eligible

Impossible is Master Chief, who fails to meet Sakurai's criteria of being on a Nintendo system. (Sakurai's ONLY stated criteria)

So I will repeat myself yet again; a near-zero percentile is still not zero. Even if it's in the billionth of a percent.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Eh... Drop the fight, guys. This thread was made for fun.

Let it be like that. :bee:

D

Deleted member

One problem with that Fal.

And that is life is like a hurricane.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Nice double post btw. :happysheep:
Seriously though, why did you have to barge in and start an argument?
This was made purely for fun, It isn't like I expect to see Scrooge in Smash EVER, it's just I would like to and I found it necessary to make this thread, as it didn't exist yet.
Again:
if you don't support Scrooge, stay out of his thread.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Eh... Drop the fight, guys. This thread was made for fun.

Let it be like that. :bee:
not really a fight, more of a discussion. I was just surprised that this thread wasn't taken down. Not that I want that to happen.

we can probably continue any discussion of probability via PM.

what stages would everyone want to see? Another possible stage would be Launchpad-piloted plane (like the Pilot Wings). It would fly around to various locations and then crash in Duckberg. In which case it would be repaired and then fly again, continuing the cycle.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
not really a fight, more of a discussion. I was just surprised that this thread wasn't taken down. Not that I want that to happen.

we can probably continue any discussion of probability via PM.

what stages would everyone want to see? Another possible stage would be Launchpad-piloted plane (like the Pilot Wings). It would fly around to various locations and then crash in Duckberg. In which case it would be repaired and then fly again, continuing the cycle.
Interesting...
I'm going to go the obvious route and say the Money Pit, where you can climb up a ladder to reach a diving board that you can jump off of into the pit.
But two things from this stage I wanted to be included in Scrooge's moveset, so...

And plus, you can see that a moderator, FalKoopa, is actually a Scrooge SUPPORTER.
Of course I asked permission to make the thread beforehand anyway.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
"Scrooge's impact on gaming history goes beyond almost any other cartoon character's."
Mmm, I really think that title belongs to Popeye. After all, it was thanks to him that two of the biggest characters (and franchises) in video game's history were created (Mario "Jumpman" and Donkey Kong).

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
So, if Scrooge DID get in, how would you all react?
considering that I've been saying he has a zero percent chance, I will probably have to eat my hat or something. Actually, I would have to buy a hat and then eat it.

Other than that, I would be estatic. That would mean the Moon would be in the game, which would be awesome.

D

Deleted member

If Sakurai can get the rights to the infamous Tetris theme (and the less famous one) without having anything from Tetris in Smash, then he should be able to get the Moon Theme regardless since it iz so ehpick.

Let's pester him about it. Sure he'd like that better than pestering him about characters. :troll:

EDIT: Just so you know what you'll be FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOOOOR:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Bump.
Also, here's a moveset.

THE MOST AMAZING SCROOGE MCDUCK MOVESET EVER:

B: Coin Toss
Scrooge flips a coin. This can be charged to go farther and do more damage, or coins can be scattered willy-nilly a la Meowth PokeBall. I would love to incorporate some kind of heads and tails mechanic, if I come up with one.

Side B: Golf Cane
Scrooge sets up a golf swing using his trusty cane. It must be set up first, but if done correctly it will do lots of damage. Scrooge can also hit items to send them flying across the stage diagonally.

Up B: Diving Board
Just like he does in his daily swim, Scrooge jumps from his diving board and, well, dives. This gives him a good recovery and does the most damage if Scrooge dives onto an opponent.

Down B: Pogo Cane
No explanation needed. Scrooge takes out his cane and bounces around on it. It's loads of fun.

Final Smash: Money Bin
Scrooge's fortune falls onto the stage. Anyone caught under it is hit with loads of knockback. When walking on it, everyone is slow except Scrooge himself, who can walk on it with ease.
Dive into it for a little easter egg.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
Now that Cranky Kong has been revealed as the fourth playable character for DK:TF, and taking into account the abilities that he uses in the game, I think that if he is able to enter in Smash Bros. (and has a moveset based on these abilities) we could say that we are playing as Scrooge McDuck in one way or another...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
While Scrooge McDuck is obviously a better choice than Sora, I think I would rather have Cranky Kong instead of Scrooge McDuck since he can do the pogo stick jump with the cane, too, and he is actually a Nintendo character.

Eh, hackers can just make Cranky Kong into Scrooge McDuck if Cranky Kong ever becomes playable in Smash anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom