• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U 8 Player Smash (Almost) Confirmed!

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I believe this is proof that 8-Player Smash is confirmed. There were hidden voice clips in the 3DS's game data. One of which, says 8 PLAYER SMASH! What do you guys think of this? Do you guys think this is real? How do you like the idea? I think 4 on 4 competitive matches will be truly something amazing. I also think it was cut in the 3DS version and will be a Wii U exclusive.

Last edited:

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Well, it could be just for the wii u version/ it was cancelled

Rioni

Smash Apprentice
8-player Smash?

Man, that's sounds crazy, but... I wanna try that out. Maybe it's going to be on the Wii U version?

Niala

Smash Ace
So... Yellow team seems to imply a fourth team, so the possibility of 2v2v2v2 is there. This is pretty neat.

I think, in theory, 8 player FFA would be a lot of fun. A lot moreso than 4 player, anyway. With 4 characters, you feel like there's just enough information playing on the screen that you can pay attention and react to everything, but also too much happening to be in control. I find it a frustrating experience, personally. But with 8... well that sounds perfect. Complete chaos.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
8-Player Smash? I can see that working on the 3DS since everyone has their own system to play on, but the connection would probably be somewhat slow at best. And the stages might get a bit crowded, I think.

I can see it happening on the Wii U- in local play you could probably manage something like one GamePad, three Wiimotes, and four GameCube controllers. Though that might not be a very viable choice for groups of people who all liked playing the same control scheme (e.g. they all used GameCube controllers). And the game may not be programmed to accept more than 4 controllers at once, though you'd think it would be if 8-player Smash is a thing. Online play could probably work with this, though, if connections are better than (or at the very least as good as) the 3DS version.

Dicex

Smash Rookie
Imagine the lag if this is available for online...

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Thanks for sharing this, those audio files brought back to life my hopes for Event Matches.
It's almost obvious that the clips are for the Wii U version and got saved in the 3DS during the audio imports. An 8 player Smash sounds awesome but we will need bigger stages for that, 8 fighters will cover Final Destination (or any Omega Stage) with a storm of hitboxes.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Thanks for sharing this, those audio files brought back to life my hopes for Event Matches.
It's almost obvious that the clips are for the Wii U version and got saved in the 3DS during the audio imports. An 8 player Smash sounds awesome but we will need bigger stages for that, 8 fighters will cover Final Destination (or any Omega Stage) with a storm of hitboxes.
Stages such as Palutena's Temple and Coliseum will do nicely for that I think. Especially Palutena's Temple.

GrizzlyEatsKids

Smash Apprentice
NNID
foodonfloor
3DS FC
3351-4506-8996
That sounds absolutely bonkers. In my opinion, it could either be something really fun, or really horrifying.

SSBIx3M

Smash Apprentice
Stages such as Palutena's Temple and Coliseum will do nicely for that I think. Especially Palutena's Temple.
Hehe.. Yea. 2 Players on each section of the stage. It looks like it was made for this mode. lol :p
(Palutena's Temple)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Remember those Crew Battle things that some Tourneys have?
We can have a 4v4 Team Battle now.
ALL THE NIFTY GOIN UP

DarkKiru

Smash Cadet
So I had to make an account just to post about this but, 8 man smash would also explain why some stages seem bigger compared to older versions (E.g: Onett, Castle Siege, etc), each character having eight pallets / costumes / (whatever you wanna call it really) would also add to this.

At this point theres enough evidence to safely say that even if this doesn't make it into the final product, it was at least intended to be a thing at some point.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
You may also recall that the number of players for the Wii U version was left 'To Be Announced' even when the 3DS was known to be 1-4.

However the Wii U can only accommodate 4 GameCube controllers so even with 8 players people are still going to be using some janky alternative.

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
You may also recall that the number of players for the Wii U version was left 'To Be Announced' even when the 3DS was known to be 1-4.

However the Wii U can only accommodate 4 GameCube controllers so even with 8 players people are still going to be using some janky alternative.
4 GameCube Controllers + 4 Pro Controllers

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
This explains why we have such huge stages...and why there are 8 costumes for everyone.
It all makes perfect sense now.
#MewtwoConfirmed...?

AIM0001

Smash Lord
This couldn't be a competitive mode but man would this make for an interesting party mode...id even settle for 5 or 6!

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
Probably was planned at some point...

But damn I want to see a Smash Bros game with more than 4 players at a time.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
An 8-player Smash sounds amazing and I can only imagine the chaos. If there's 2v2v2v2, I can finally have "turf wars" with my relatives.

Perhaps Palutena's Temple was made super ginormous with this mode in mind?

Ozyroth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ozyroth
Like I said in another threat, this could be one of the Smash WiiU Exclusives when connecting the 3DS.

The WiiU could handle 4 players easily and the extra characters with their own 3DS system running the process. 4 WiiU controllers (gamepad, gamecube, classic controller, etc) and 4 3DS as controllers.

With that said, now that we have a voice for "Yellow team" maybe this is more of a reality: 2v2v2v2 possible!

Even tho I consider this almost confirmed, I won't my hopes high, sounds too good to be true.

PD: I want Event Match to come back so badly! :'(

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
4 player FFAs are crazy already. This is going be even more hilarious.

Sad that the 3DS couldn't support it.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
How did someone obtain these sound clips by the way? I also wouldn't count out tower of smash just yet. They could still be calling it Event Match.

Petro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Petro_AUS
This could be good and bad at the same time. The good thing is that you can play with more of your friends at once. The bad thing is that the game will lag more that what it already is. Its going to be Interesting to see how all the players will fit on one stage and fight when it is going to be so crowded. I guess we are going to have to wait to see if this is real of not. #SSB4HYPE

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Looks like the 8-Player dream is even more confirmed; this was supposedly found within the unused data.

I hope this is true, I also hope that Hyrule: Temple returns, having a 8-Player Battle there would be the perfect chaos.

Last edited:

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Considering the Wii U has 4 USB ports (2 in the front and 2 in the back), and each GC controller adapter only takes up 2 USB ports, if this is legit........first of all I'll need to go buy 4 more gamecube controllers....

secondly. 8-PLAYER SMASH HYPE!!!

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
This is 100% confirmed already. HYPE!!!!!!

I can't wait to play this with my cousins :3

the8thark

Smash Lord
8 Player Smash (Almost) Confirmed!
So this is your way of saying "Not confirmed at all but I wish it was"

I personally don't like this idea. The game is designed for a max of 4 players. 8 is way too many on screen at once.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
So this is your way of saying "Not confirmed at all but I wish it was"

I personally don't like this idea. The game is designed for a max of 4 players. 8 is way too many on screen at once.
Why be a downer LOL? I mean I get you have the right to state your opinion but damn lmao, just don't play it

Top Bottom