• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I just realized...
Does Cloud getting an Amiibo also mean that we'll get a Cloud skin in Mario Maker? :D

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I just realize that, one person. Have in fact know that Cloud will be in Smash. Who is this person you may ask? Well see by yourself...
Chris Niosi can see the futur confirm.:4iggy:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
-Language Warning-

Byootiful.

As for music, both of the FFVII battle themes, and One Winged Angel feel like shoe-ins.

But I also want that FFIV Boss theme. It's iconic in its own right, let me have it. :V

Also, no game with FF in it can be complete without the Chocobo music.

I'm really digging this, I love the wipeout sample.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Something else I just realized: The Victory Fanfare that plays at the end of the trailer is not the original one from FFVII, but it's a remix of that particular version.
The interesting part: It goes pretty long into the Experience menu part of the song (where FFVII replaced the classic jingle for a new one).
It may just be coincidence and they added that partwhile composing the song because it's pretty short as it is, but maybe Cloud's actual Victory Fanfare in Smash will not go into the Smash 64 character select theme like it usally does.

Last edited:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
...the animations are pretty damn distinct, imo. Superficially, sure, if you're thinking in terms of utility for Ike or another swordsman, then I guess it's a good baseline. And even if he did share some moves besides, you can get pretty creative with recycled assets, as Legato pointed out with Melee Falco. I really don't think that's the case here though, at least with his moveset in particular.

Until we get Cloud in our hands, though, we won't know how exactly his kit gels together. Again, imo and all that.

Smooth Criminal
In reality, there's only so many ways you can swing a sword before retreading old ground at some point. I remember trying to see how many moves Marth had that were similar to Cloud's back in Melee.
If they can't find new ways to swing a sword then they shouldn't have another swordsman imo (unless they're aiming for a clone).
I'm not expecting him to be a clone, I'm sure he'll be fun, I'm just a bit worried he won't be as incomparable as link to Ike to shulk. I'll just have to see when our hands are on him I s'pose.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
If they can't find new ways to swing a sword then they shouldn't have another swordsman imo (unless they're aiming for a clone).
I'm not expecting him to be a clone, I'm sure he'll be fun, I'm just a bit worried he won't be as incomparable as link to Ike to shulk. I'll just have to see when our hands are on him I s'pose.
My point is that there will undoubtedly be some similarities solely because he wields a sword. But I think people saying he's a clone or a Luigified Ike are just jumping to conclusions.

Last edited:

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
To me, it looks like they used his attack animations from VII and his brave attacks in Dissidia. That's not exactly cloning a character.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
My point is that there will undoubtedly be some similarities solely because he wields a sword. But I think people saying he's a clone or a Luigified Ike are just jumping to conclusions.
Oh absolutely, on both points. I didn't think the first point really applied here since my reason was more specific in that they are heavy swordsmen, with two comparable specials. As I've said I just question if they will play too similarly not so much being an actual clone.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I just realize that, one person. Have in fact know that Cloud will be in Smash. Who is this person you may ask? Well see by yourself...
Chris Niosi can see the futur confirm.:4iggy:
And we've come full circle.

...I'm so happy that this is a thing. :grin::grin:

Oh absolutely, on both points. I didn't think the first point really applied here since my reason was more specific in that they are heavy swordsmen, with two comparable specials. As I've said I just question if they will play too similarly not so much being an actual clone.
Honestly I feel like a projectile alone will make Cloud's game extremely different from Ike's, not even considering Limit Break.

But we don't even have specifics on the small stuff yet, or even details on Cross Slash/Climhazzard other than what we see.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Heck, now that I can finally play as Cloud, I don't even care if Goku and Shrek make it in.
The Buster Sword cares not for whom it smites!

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Im going to ditch Ike for Cloud to be honest at this moment. Also I had this omnislash GIF sig for awhile now. Time to put it to use!

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I've always been interested in Final Fantasy despite only playing Theatrhytem, though I never liked Cloud. Then I learned he wasn't always emo and crossdressed. He looks like my kind of character in Smash personally.
Yeah, it's too bad that the movie made him so emo. He actually had a sense of humor in the actual game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah, it's too bad that the movie made him so emo. He actually had a sense of humor in the actual game.
A youtuber known as Joshscorcher said something about this in his video in which he said why a FFVII remake would be bad, when it got announced he said he was curious if he calls the bad things. He also called Cloud too and arguably some moves that look a bit like Ike's lol
There's also this image I'm sure loads of people know

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
^^^
People just flame too much. The movie did make him depressing but that was because he actually was depressed in the movie. And the two pictures are very bias. The two Clouds have the same build yet the pic was trying to say that the first one is more muscular. In fact, the "new cloud" is actually more toned! As for the rest, all it did was show the direction square has gone with its art.

Im going to ditch Ike for Cloud to be honest at this moment. Also I had this omnislash GIF sig for awhile now. Time to put it to use!

I can see a lot of Ike's switching over to Cloud lol

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
^^^
People just flame too much. The movie did make him depressing but that was because he actually was depressed in the movie. And the two pictures are very bias. The two Clouds have the same build yet the pic was trying to say that the first one is more muscular. In fact, the "new cloud" is actually more toned! As for the rest, all it did was show the direction square has gone with its art.

I can see a lot of Ike's switching over to Cloud lol
Again, I'm not against Cloud as a character when I found out about his FFVII self. Crossdressing, flirting with men while doing so, riding Chocobo, visiting hookers (The cut beehive club or something i duno lol). He looks more emotional in FFVII

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Again, I'm not against Cloud as a character when I found out about his FFVII self. Crossdressing, flirting with men while doing so, riding Chocobo, visiting hookers (The cut beehive club or something i duno lol). He looks more emotional in FFVII
Yeah, the whole crossdressing, gentlemen's club thing was supposed to be a more humorous part of the story, but I think it kinda fell flat.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
As much as I enjoyed Kingdom Hearts, I actually blame Kingdom Hearts for turning Cloud into that incredibly brooding character we often see. Crisis Core, though, I felt did a good job of portraying a younger, gentle, but honestly awkward and stand-offish Cloud.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
So hyped for this - can't remember if it was the ballot or just some survey but Cloud was the one that I felt HAD to be in the game - so iconic a figure.

My bro saw the announcement this morning, not only has it perked his interest in Smash, he's gone and bought a Wii U and the game. I genuinely think that Cloud as DLC will bring in so many people, I know a lot from the FF scene in the UK have become interested (like the odd SF person did with Ryu) - these cross over iconic characters are a great touch (if they can secure them) - people do have these affiliations and fandom and will touch any game with them in it.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
:4cloud::4cloud::4cloud:

The spiky hair is really profound in this emote, lol.

Advent Children emote in the future?

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
:4cloud:

Oh, that looks nice. Can also change Sm4sh main flair to Cloud now as well, although it doesn't appear to be showing up yet.

Last edited:

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
You do realize that all of this was when he had Zack's personality right?

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
Wow. This is amazing. I immediately went and watched Advent Children yesterday again for the hype.
My boy Shulk didn't work out, here's hoping Cloud's frame data is better.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I've never played a Final Fantasy game, and am not a big RPG kinda guy.

But I do want to say Congratulations, cause really thinking about it. Cloud isn't quite the farfetched addition that everyone is joking about right now. Cloud is the household name of Final Fantasy, Sakurai gives no ****s about if the character itself has not been too relevant to Nintendo, as long as the franchise itself has a sizable history with Nintendo and the character itself can boast at least being close to being a household name on the level of Mario, Sonic, Megaman, and Pac-Man then they're a good choice for Smash.

Final Fantasy was huge for Nintendo back in the day, while for the purpose of being Nintendo based. Black Mage and/or someone like Terra from FF6 would of fit better. They don't have the individual character impact that Cloud has. There's no question that the most popular protagonist in the FF franchise is Cloud. And regardless if he hasn't been on many Nintendo games, he is the face of the franchise as a result of his popularity and FF7's impact on Modern RPGs. I think characters like Shulk (Heck, the whole Xeno____ series once was Sony exclusive at first. Xenoblade is when it started as a Nintendo Exclusive) that already is in Smash probably owe their existence in some ways to characters like Cloud.

Also, as a huge Sonic fan myself. It's good to see another iconic 90s 3rd Party character make it in Smash ^^ Congratulations once again.

Top Bottom