• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

6-4 Matchup 27: - November 30th, 2013 - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

clowsui

Smash Legend
Hey guys,

I know I hold no clout in the Melee community and nobody that would come to this tournament but like Kurtis and David would know me, but if any of you have been keeping up w the EVO ruleset thread at all, there's a big discussion about alternative time settings, as the 8 minute limit is too much for MrWizard. We can debate theoryfighter all we want and we can even try to use predictive models based on existing matches, but nothing beats hard data. Participants, you guys should respond now and see whether or not you're game for it. If they are, Unknown/other TOs, you guys should consider running 3 stock/6 min pools at this event or even 4 stock/7 min if you don't wanna go that far and see how people feel about it + if the length of matches significantly changes =)

I'll be watching this thread for responses.

Jotora

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jotora
I'd be all for reducing the time limit--as matches rarely require the full 8 minutes--but not stock count. 4 stock/6 minutes would be my vote.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Where is this evo rule thread?

TBH when Cactuar started his 2 stock thread just to gauge opinions everyone seemed to say 3 stocks 5 minutes is dumb cause it changes nothing but shortening time...which is what you need. (For note: Cactuars thread was about changing the rule set to see if it made characters or stages more viable)

Is 3 stocks really that bad? VVVV even if it is, this is only for Evo, maybe even onl for Evo brackets up to Top 8. A set could take like 10 mins maybe more and that's high compared to TFG, nevermind if someone plays a long set. And yeah, changing the timer to 6 mins only effects HBox vs. Armada and Armada aint coming

huMps

Smash Ace
7 minute timer will make no difference in 99% of matches. And I will not attend tournaments anymore if 3 stocks (even in pools) becomes a standard. I'm paying money to compete and play. Less stocks = less value. Just my oppinion

clowsui

Smash Legend
It's not about making it a standard it's about experimenting for the sake of data. We just need to do it once. I want 4s8m too but we need cold hard data to show mr wizard that is the case, that 3s6m makes no diff

Also krisp ruleset is in tourney discussion

:phone:

Jotora

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jotora
Where is this evo rule thread?

TBH when Cactuar started his 2 stock thread just to gauge opinions everyone seemed to say 3 stocks 5 minutes is dumb cause it changes nothing but shortening time...which is what you need. (For note: Cactuars thread was about changing the rule set to see if it made characters or stages more viable)

Is 3 stocks really that bad? VVVV even if it is, this is only for Evo, maybe even onl for Evo brackets up to Top 8. A set could take like 10 mins maybe more and that's high compared to TFG, nevermind if someone plays a long set. And yeah, changing the timer to 6 mins only effects HBox vs. Armada and Armada aint coming
That I could see. 3 stock only for part of the tournament, like pools.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
-talking about correlation between post count / join date / knowledge of game / skill level

how come i'm the only one who can't get away with random trolling? :urg:
lmao ok you're right, I gave you a bit too much of a hassle.

and 3 stocks? I don't feel good about it at all. I think it would be terrible.
Then again, I would more than likely still go.

Jotora

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jotora
How about we just do a normal tournament and use DSR?
lmao ok you're right, I gave you a bit too much of a hassle.

and 3 stocks? I don't feel good about it at all. I think it would be terrible.
Then again, I would more than likely still go.
I'm down for trying anything, really. Lowering (or increasing) stocks raises a red flag for me though, but whatever. I'd also play no matter what.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
pree excited for this, should be a good time.
looks like kai might flop, as well as (asian) nick and vyzor. me + saux comin for sure tho lol.

Bing

Smash Master
For the love of christ take it apart before painting XD. I've actually been meaning to paint a controller for awhile. I wish money wasn't so tight, I havent been out in awhile. Miss you guys.

unknown522

Some guy
So April monthly is on the 20th. Everyone is booking early now. I'm gonna book may on thursday. When is Anime north so I can avoid that weekend?

Edit: nvm. What do y'all think of may 11th for the monthly?

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
I think I'm gonna enter doubles this tourney. Anyone wanna team? Austin, tom, etc.?

Please know that I don't actually know how to play doubles lol. I'm pretty bad at it

I don't really feel like getting *****. I'm probably the worst player in our scene when it comes to 2v2

Top Bottom