• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenny

Smash Ace
Tons of people are realizing "wow, its not as bad as we thought" once they stop running into aerials, stop murdering themselves in a futile attempt to stop limit, and start powershielding, abusing his ground game, and abusing his offstage game to rack damage and get kills as a side effect instead of ruining all their progress getting ledge drop jump uair'd.
stop murdering themselves in a futile attempt to stop limit
This

So, so much this

Juno97

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tenkenjin
lol

Top 16 Weighted Top 10: (Sep. 1st-20th)
:4cloud2: (102.2)
:4fox:(84.5)
:4bayonetta: (83)
:4diddy: (82.5)
:4sonic: (80)
:4sheik:(64.5)
:4mewtwo:(54)
:4mario:(52)
:4zss:(49)
:4ryu:/:4greninja:(47)

Weekend stuff:

2GGT: Abadango Saga (SoCal) (Will be Category 3, for those asking)
The Proving Ground (Michigan)
Glitch 2 (Maryland)
Who's Your Pappy #4 (NorCal)
Smash @ York #11: The Return (Ontario)
Sumabato 13 (Japan)
Good previous weekend for Cloud McFox

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Potential candidates, based on what various top players have said:

:4bayonetta2::4cloud::4pikachu::4sonic::4sheik::4ryu::4diddy:

One of those 7 is probably the best character... Well, probably not PIkachu. So, yeah, you have a pretty good point about the lack of consensus.
I'd argue Pikachu is better than Ryu tbh
He doesn't have issues getting camped out, his playstyle is much more flexible, recovery is amazing, etc. The only thing Ryu has over him is consistent kill power (obviously) and lower landing lag overall

With Esam stepping up his game and working hard to prove his claim that Pikachu is a top tier, I wouldn't be surprised if the rat gets brought up more.

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
Here something else for people to talk about...

Hitomoshi (Zard) vs Ron (Best Mario in Japan)

Vs Kie (Best Peach)

Vs Ri-ma (One of the best Tinks)

Also as a bonus if your looking for a good Mac set.

// (yes that's his tag) vs Ri-ma

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Someone that loses to at least 7-10 characters cannot be looked at as #1 while there's a few characters with around 1-4 bad MUs(Sheik, Sonic, M2) at most.
Still don't get where this insanely high opinion of Mario is coming from.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
As the game evolves I'm starting to think that Sheik and Sonic will rise above the other characters. They still have a lot more to offer. I don't think Mario and Cloud can be #1. I'm not sure about Diddy ; he's really solid, but can his metagame progress? Will he still be considered #1 with people getting better and better and exploring every other top tier's options? Time will tell.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
As the game evolves I'm starting to think that Sheik and Sonic will rise above the other characters. They still have a lot more to offer. I don't think Mario and Cloud can be #1. I'm not sure about Diddy ; he's really solid, but can his metagame progress? Will he still be considered #1 with people getting better and better and exploring every other top tier's options? Time will tell.
Diddy can still progress in the same way Sheik has. Like Sheik, his solid neutral is where it is and will probably stay there for a while (which isn't really a bad thing) but his combos aren't completely optimized and his players haven't even attempted to start optimizing them to the same level as the Sheik players. Things like nair > footstool > dair reset > nair > footstool > dair > footstool > nair > followup or fthrow > fair > dtilt > pp utilt > bair x2 (may not be 100% true, needs more labbing) aren't even being looked at even though they do a ****load of damage and are relatively easy to perform

blackghost

Smash Champion
Someone that loses to at least 7-10 characters cannot be looked at as #1 while there's a few characters with around 1-4 bad MUs(Sheik, Sonic, M2) at most.
its easy people confuse the skill of Ally and AnTi with the tools of the character. people did the same thing (although temporarily) with dk and ness.

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
Things like nair > footstool > dair reset > nair > footstool > dair > footstool > nair > followup or fthrow > fair > dtilt > pp utilt > bair x2
Where did you hear of these things?

Maybe they have different opinions on his match-ups than you. It's not like everybody puts him in top 5 anyways, considering his results at majors.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Theres something up with diddys dtilt usmash. Some are saying it can be DI'd and airdodged, with compelling evidence. Others say its at least a 50/50 with DI in and out. Id hazard a guess its one of the two on a char by char basis.

Larry Lurr goes flying out really consistently. Ill look for the set, but i knew he was doing something different.

This could really hurt diddy. Consistency is his thing right? His gameplan is solid, then you die when your char dies to usmash. If it isnt till you die to dtilt fair... its really gonna hurt him. Ive come back and won not infrequently when usmash doesnt connect right once, so if its a consistent thing, ouch.

Why why why WHY isnt there a record function in training. Ugh.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I think if Diddy will fall, it's because of his recovery. As people get more optimized, it's possible that he'll be forced offstage more often and people will learn to edgeguard Diddy in a cloud-esque scenario. Should be interesting.

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
Gotta keep an eye on hitomoshi, his edgeguarding and juggling were pretty on point. He really shows how explosive Zard's advantage state can be.

Also those sets really show how you should never take the lizard to battlefield. Zard loves platforms.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Here something else for people to talk about...

Hitomoshi (Zard) vs Ron (Best Mario in Japan)

Vs Kie (Best Peach)

Vs Ri-ma (One of the best Tinks)

Also as a bonus if your looking for a good Mac set.

// (yes that's his tag) vs Ri-ma
Damn that Charizard is good . . . .

I'm sorry but that doesn't look like a bottom tier character to me.

:150:

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Where did you hear of these things?
I've been labbing Diddy for ~3 days now. Started playing him about 2 weeks ago and don't want to really get competitive with him until I have him optimized to the best of my ability.

Gotta keep an eye on hitomoshi, his edgeguarding and juggling were pretty on point. He really shows how explosive Zard's advantage state can be.

Also those sets really show how you should never take the lizard to battlefield. Zard loves platforms.
Damn that Charizard is good . . . .

I'm sorry but that doesn't look like a bottom tier character to me.

Zard is way to mobile to be a bottom tier and combined with the damage output and range of his aerials he probably has the best neutral of the super heavies. His ledge game is in another league compared to Bowser and DK's with upsmash covering 2 (3?) options at once, flamethrower forcing them off the ledge, dsmash for 2 frames, and nair/fair for catching jumps. His extra midair jump + high bkb gives him a very threatening offstage game.

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Theres something up with diddys dtilt usmash. Some are saying it can be DI'd and airdodged, with compelling evidence. Others say its at least a 50/50 with DI in and out. Id hazard a guess its one of the two on a char by char basis.

Larry Lurr goes flying out really consistently. Ill look for the set, but i knew he was doing something different.

This could really hurt diddy. Consistency is his thing right? His gameplan is solid, then you die when your char dies to usmash. If it isnt till you die to dtilt fair... its really gonna hurt him. Ive come back and won not infrequently when usmash doesnt connect right once, so if its a consistent thing, ouch.

Why why why WHY isnt there a record function in training. Ugh.
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/52otdj/diddys_dtiltusmash_as_a_ko_combo_is_mostly/ This?

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
Something I just realized about this is that he may have not jump-canceled u-smashed which explains a lot if that is the case. Also, you cannot react to d-tilt so this isn't going to happen unless you read it. In regards to SDI, if I go to training mode in 1/4th speed and quarter-circle SDI I cannot really escape the third hit (I only tested a little bit and with like one character).

It could be where Diddy lands the u-smash that results in people flying out. Just don't spread false information, please.

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
Since there is no post about this. Sumabato is going on tonight on SHI.

Feat.

Earth:4pit::4corrinf:
9B:4bayonetta:
Edge:4diddy:
Fuwa:4marth:
HIKARU:4dk::4bowser:
OCEAN:4rob:
Nasubi:4wario:
Ri-ma:4tlink:
Goma:4lucario:
Shogun:4fox:
SH:4fox:
You3:4duckhunt:
Ginko:4pacman::4rob:
Masashi:4cloud2:
Oisiitofu :4greninja:
Kie:4peach:
Kuro:4pit:
Aki:4ryu:
Saiya:4falcon:
Rin:4wiifit:

There's probably more I'm missing because I'm bad at Japanese lol. There's chance for someone new to win because no Komo

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Since there is no post about this. Sumabato is going on tonight on SHI.

Feat.

Earth:4pit::4corrinf:
9B:4bayonetta:
Edge:4diddy:
Fuwa:4marth:
HIKARU:4dk::4bowser:
OCEAN:4rob:
Nasubi:4wario:
Ri-ma:4tlink:
Goma:4lucario:
Shogun:4fox:
You3:4duckhunt:
Ginko:4pacman::4rob:
Masashi:4cloud2:
Oisiitofu :4greninja:
Kie:4peach:
Kuro:4pit:
Aki:4ryu:

There's probably more I'm missing because I'm bad at Japanese lol. There's chance for someone new to win because no Komo
What's the original page? And what's the player list? Some of us can read Japanese.

Megamang

Smash Lord
I made a chart to help with diddy.

Are you near him on the ground?
Are you at kill percent to usmash?

If 2 yesses, he will dtilt.

Seriously though, there are many times you can react. Banana hit, you whiff a SH aerial and he is in range... you just mash SDI inputs while doing your other option (whatever you were going to do, jump away, roll, whatever... just add intense direction mashing).

But yes, i was purposely not using language to say it was certain. Again, if there was a record function id be testing but i cant JCusmash and SDI with the other hand.

Edit: but he did address the jump canceling, basically it shouldn't effect frame advantage. But it seems it would, since getting there sooner is essentially giving you more frames. Idk.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
Zard is way to mobile to be a bottom tier
idk if I'd call Zard mobile really. It has a great run speed and an above average top walk speed and good traction, but that's it really. It's like when people people say that Roy is mobile, but he's not really mobile, he just moves really fast in one direction.

But I do agree that Zard is not bottom tier (but probably low tier rather).

Last edited:

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
idk if I'd call Zard mobile really. It has a great run speed and an above average top walk speed, but that's it really. It's like when people people say that Roy is mobile, but he's not really mobile, he just moves really fast in one direction.

But I do agree that Zard is not bottom tier (but probably low tier rather).
But a large part of mobility is speed and quickness. Roy has those attirbutes. Mobility is the ability to move freely and easily, and with Roy you can do that. And he's not just fast in one direction, he's fast moving in general, top 10 in speed and is a fastfaller. I guess he doesn't have a move like flip jump or bouncing fish that allows him to go super far, but he can get to places because of how quick he is.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Ah, alright...
After brushing up my old Kanji dictionary and reading through really crap katakana engrish, here we go.
These are romanized literally. So yeah, a few players migh have their name written slightly different here.
185 entrants. Site says 233 entrants but I guess the rest dropped out.
  1. Sylph
  2. You3
  3. Earth
  4. Yuto
  5. Runa
  6. Kuki
  7. Maikeru
  8. Rizeo
  9. Saku
  10. Haru
  11. Nyokki
  12. Excel
  13. Kademewa
  14. DUI
  15. Utimei
  16. Sain
  17. Pedoro
  18. Karupisu
  19. Arukuu
  20. Yotti
  21. Gomaapura
  22. Pasutaa
  23. Matti
  24. Madaru
  25. Shijimi
  26. SH
  27. Matiyan
  28. Tsumusuto
  29. KENTO
  30. DoubleA
  31. Eda
  32. Fuwa
  33. Akushuu
  34. Alex
  35. Toka
  36. Konpakuto
  37. Setsurun
  38. tEikyo
  39. Ononokkusu
  40. Goma Mugitya
  41. Kento
  42. Kusarikatabira
  43. Rushiusu
  44. Kazuki
  45. Hazamu
  46. Perika
  47. Yuuman
  48. Hebi
  49. Akataki
  50. Tatsutsuyo
  51. Paapuru
  52. Kunuyaka
  53. Shogun
  54. Yuzupon Su
  55. Masashi
  56. Popii
  57. Jan
  58. Tiata
  59. Rin
  60. Suma
  61. Isotaku
  62. Oishiitoufu
  63. Doraiza
  64. Sky
  65. Agehasama
  66. Marutiidabe
  67. Gazer
  68. Sunohara
  69. Take
  70. Tsu~
  71. Wadasutin
  72. Karura
  73. Youteru
  74. JD
  75. Katorasu
  76. SBT
  77. Fuji
  78. Terauchi
  79. Iberiko
  80. Shea
  81. Atorie
  82. Rudori
  83. Punsuko
  84. Kei
  85. Ako
  86. Warabin
  87. Yoiato
  88. Shinowami
  89. Ninoha
  90. Rizeasu
  91. Terra
  92. Kaabisu
  93. Manase
  94. Shin Yuuta
  95. Edge
  96. Tamifuru
  97. Niwatori

98. Yaki toumorokoshi
  99. Ten
  100. Rino
  101. Zaki
  102. Ore
  103. Erugata
  104. Izuu
  105. Mangarissha
  106. Volpe
  107. Momosui
  108. Nao
  109. Rattsu
  110. Nandakore
  111. Akane
  112. Momonga
  113. Tiiku
  114. Jeesu
  115. Ken
  116. Hitomaro
  117. Peetyan
  118. 123
  119. Pega
  120. Hanku
  121. Eta
  122. Nourakku
  123. Yaya
  124. Kii
  125. Hiko
  126. Yata
  127. Tyuunibyou-ou
  128. Rushio
  129. Genji
  130. Satan
  131. Dog
  132. PAL
  133. Nau
  134. Mikoukurukebin
  135. Donikku
  136. Yadokkusu
  137. Pudama
  138. ****an
  139. Daiya
  140. Aoba
  141. Kamon
  142. Gouya
  143. Jio
  144. Bitamin
  145. Majingaa
  146. Dankeshi
  147. Busutosu
  148. Gobu
  149. Wake
  150. Shimitake (sutaffu)
  151. Toufu
  152. Aaku
  153. Baburi
  154. MASA
  155. Minamo
  156. Kuro
  157. Takashi
  158. Kyuuby
  159. Nakano
  160. Parumezan
  161. WHITE
  162. Poppun
  163. Farao
  164. Masuda
  165. Kuikku
  166. Kabata
  167. Ginko
  168. PKurusu
  169. Aki
  170. Ruri
  171. Maybe?
  172. Nandeyanen
  173. Shati
  174. Saiya
  175. Torehan
  176. Rinda
  177. A
  178. Edd
  179. Yuki Yuume (Mukyuu~)
  180. Majime
  181. Oshin

Rizen

Smash Legend
When I'm playing Chazizard his Usmash hit 2 wiffs a lot. Do other people get that?
I think if Diddy will fall, it's because of his recovery. As people get more optimized, it's possible that he'll be forced offstage more often and people will learn to edgeguard Diddy in a cloud-esque scenario. Should be interesting.
I don't think Diddy's recovery is that bad. He gets wrecked if he's hit out of rocket barrels but he has a lot of versatility and range between those and flip kick. I was watching ZeRo vs Camalange and he showed how good diddy is at dodging while recovering like here: 13:43-13:55 https://youtu.be/Nar00MhhR-U?t=823
This is also a good set for showing how good Diddy's neutral is.

IMO Diddy and Sheik are still the top 2 characters. They can be dethroned because smash 4 is balanced but at the end of the day they're getting the best consistent results. Das Koopa's thread is being updated so I can't specifically site them atm.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
One thing many people don't know about Diddy Kong is that his down tilt isn't actually safe on hit.

For example, Greninja can use jab out of his down tilt at low and mid percents.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Zard can actually kinda land too. Dair lingers, you get hit with his slowly extended leg and youll pop up and he'll be safe, it sticks out forever and cancels shortly after. He has multiple jumps, flamethrow to b reverse, rock smash to super armor through obvious attempts... if you commit hard and eat a rock smash it really hurts, though bowser also has "really hurts" locked down. He can shoot across the screen with flare blitz. Then he has the stuff everyone has, quickly falling with airdodge and stuff... jumping airdodge. If he airdodges beneath or even inside you, fly can kill you stupid early for going high... bair can kill you for trying to outspace his landing, where empty landing jabs covers you waiting for bair.

He is by no means 'good' at landing, but hes probably the best superheavy at it.

Oh, i forgot nair. Nair is another good one with a decent AC window, best vs those who trap with frame data over range or disjoint.

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
One thing many people don't know about Diddy Kong is that his down tilt isn't actually safe on hit.

For example, Greninja can use jab out of his down tilt at low and mid percents.

Doc can Up B out of it. It's so freakin satisfying.

Megamang

Smash Lord
For anyone watching smash confefence, or wondering about MM's matchups in general, i believe Scatt switched to Cloud mostly for Lucario.

That is an annoying MU, and if not megamans worst its close. At enough aura, AS can outzone megaman alone. You *must* gimp lucario or you are in trouble. His heavyness is really tough early on, combined with a lack of a combo breaker means lucario takes you on a long ride with each grab.

Also, glad to see a non Cloud doubles team doing well enough. M2ks cloud is on another level than any pocket cloud, so respect there.

Edit: scatt getting lots of stream time. Freeing up some chars, showing how hard it can be to get in or get off the ledge vs good pelleting. I think megaman may shift into a gatekeeper, if you dont have either great mobility or a great zoning tool... youre kinda screwed.

Last edited:

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
Can you redo the video without poorly spaced Uairs and make the Sheik actually move forward or back like they should be?
Uair's spacing shouldn't matter, as the move's first three hits have an autolink angle and thus the move should link to the final hit properly without SDI. I believe they also have a SDI and hitlag modifier greater than 1.0 also. If you want to test with me we can do that but until you prove me wrong the evidence is for SDI'ing her uair is possible.

Megamang

Smash Lord
So the idea would be to move the opposite way of the shiek, kinda like boost kick? Sakurai took out a hit of shieks uair forever ago, was he trying to make a 50/50?

Was that sideways SDI or up and away?

If shiek doesnt have a 100% kill from ftilt at any %, id stop saying shes the best. But as FeelMeUp said, that video was lacking shiek doing things right, and slow mo SDI is a bit dishonest.

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
So the idea would be to move the opposite way of the shiek, kinda like boost kick? Sakurai took out a hit of shieks uair forever ago, was he trying to make a 50/50?

Was that sideways SDI or up and away?

If shiek doesnt have a 100% kill from ftilt at any %, id stop saying shes the best. But as FeelMeUp said, that video was lacking shiek doing things right, and slow mo SDI is a bit dishonest.
I put some info in the description. It probably works easier on characters like Ness because he's floaty and yeah, 1/2th speed probably makes it a lot easier. I replied to FeelMeUp. I hope it was a sufficient response. I could do the same thing without controlling Ness and he would take the final hit.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I feel like we're going to have to have a conversation about Salem and Bayonetta real soon.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
When I'm playing Chazizard his Usmash hit 2 wiffs a lot. Do other people get that?

I don't think Diddy's recovery is that bad. He gets wrecked if he's hit out of rocket barrels but he has a lot of versatility and range between those and flip kick. I was watching ZeRo vs Camalange and he showed how good diddy is at dodging while recovering like here: 13:43-13:55 https://youtu.be/Nar00MhhR-U?t=823
This is also a good set for showing how good Diddy's neutral is.

IMO Diddy and Sheik are still the top 2 characters. They can be dethroned because smash 4 is balanced but at the end of the day they're getting the best consistent results. Das Koopa's thread is being updated so I can't specifically site them atm.
Diddy's recovery is honestly fine. It's poor as an actual recovery move, but it has plenty of options, reversals, and a superb ability to recover high very safelymeans he can opt out of ledge get-up coverage pretty often. There's no easy gimps or flowchart, plus with diddy's neutral it's harder to just keep trying like you can vs ness or luigi.

Personally I think #1 is either Diddy, Bayo, or M2. Sonic is a potential possibility.

@SDI Uair: With preemptive SDI at 1/2 almost no multihits will work.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I feel like we're going to have to have a conversation about Salem and Bayonetta real soon.
salem with bayo reminds me of ally with mario he is so aware of all his options and conversions. salem maynt only be th ebest bayo player but i reality a top 10-15 player in general. he just needs the ability to travel more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom