• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
That too, you also can't edgeguard him for free like every other super heavy *cough*DK*cough*

His combo is underwhelming but he does have some cool things. I've seen up air > foostool > dair lock at early percents and dair > footstool loop at mid %s. The first hit of up smash can also jab lock and considering his insanely strong smash attacks it can make missing a tech against him scary

His up throw is also a low % combo throw, and with poor DI it can combo into flare blitz for a kill at the edge

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The standard at which most tournament sets are played without solid sound really changes the game's landscape.
Being able to hear a jump or dash start up is crucial, because knowing the general timing of actions afterwards allows pretty fast anticipation / twitch reactions.

A dash has sound effect frame 2, the same frame any dash movement is observable.
And I could be guessing with unclassified sub-actions, but audio on jumping is also frame 2.
(Mario).

If the best of the best visually reacts in around 10 frames (with the additional +6 for input delay), Audio reaction can be up to around 3~ frames faster (maybe towards 4-5 for some people), and specific sounds are likely a lot more identifiable than a lot of the animations we see (I think it's a lot easier to see the difference in attack start ups in prior games, but that could be just me).

imply that the person playing as Zard has already gotten close to their opponent. Zard's jabs and tilts arent very good options against an experienced opponent who can just out space them. His aerials, however, do not have that limitation. But hes too slow in the air to make use of them.
We could go back and forth all day, or you could not throw out wrong conclusions as a matter of fact. Are you experienced with Zard? If so, surely you could show us something if you're going to say such things without referencing as much relevant data as possible (I see you giving frame data of some ground moves but that's still only a small fraction of the picture and doesn't justify what you're saying).
Charizard has one of the fastest dash speeds, with a low to the ground animation (difficult for characters to hit with aerials on the rise) and an 11 frame dash to shield. His range is greater than most characters - his jab in particular is insane (as an 11 frame oos punish, there isn't much better/safer across the entire cast).
An experienced opponent will do their best to keep Zard from getting his strong and ranged punishes (i.e. not letting him shield things), as him at least 'getting in' and pressuring at close range is a given for most of the characters he has to face.

What really lets him down is a lot of his hurtbox animations extending himself (his head) dangerously in start up and cooldown, meaning he can be outboxed by those with the right tools. But Charizard is an amazingly consistent punish character otherwise.

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Also worth noting: Zard is definitely better against Sheik and Fox in my experience than, say, DK and Bowser.
Zard actually forces me off of Sheik to Fox sometimes.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Palutena has dthrow back air at KO percent on most of the cast, can up air on reaction if you DI to avoid it (which is a KO at like 80%)
Dthrow is consistently chaining into fair, or nair, which for a long time strings into further hits (dthrow -> fair -> regrab is actually disgusting)
I've been enamored with the character in general lately. Didn't even realize she could KO off back air after a throw. That's fabulous max.

Honestly, a character with that kind of mobility specs, recovery and grab game can't be lower than mid tier in my eyes. She definitely has worthless buttons, but her kit just plain works.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Pikachu should not be above Meta Knight, that's ignoring both results and theory.

Surprised that there isn't more talk about Zard's Bair, it's super good I'd say.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I knows tiers are a hot discussion point at the moment, but @|RK| pointed out how Smash 4's inconsistency was exaggerated in the last topic. I wanted to expand further on that, but the Tier List dropped. Still, I wrote this up over the last couple of hours, and I hope it'd be an interesting subject to discuss/look at.

My interpretation on why Smash 4 has perceived consistency issues, especially in comparison to Melee. I saw and participated in a brief but civilized conversation on the matter on Melee!GameFAQs, a chill place I usually go to for following the Melee scene. Tafokints is cool. This isn't a game vs. game thing, as I adore pretty much every smash title (Super Smash Flash? :denzel:) and Melee's consistency is a good thing to put as a reference to.

Smash 4 has a few things that make it plausible for top level players to be defeated by people often considered less skilled. Rage and 2 stocks are often considered prime reasons for this, but I'd like to be fair on both accounts.

-Rage can and has led to matches being decided in abnormal ways, but this is not anywhere near as common as people perceive it to be. I can't think of too many examples where it outright threw the match in favor of the less skilled player during the set. Nairo vs. VoiD is the first thing that comes to mind, where rage seemed to determine VoiD's fate at KTAR.

-3 stocks did not prevent upsets at Clutch City Clash, where Samsora took two sets over Ally. Yes, game 5 had an SD that went negative towards Ally, but the match otherwise would've been even, and Samsora had shown full capability in the prior 6 games to outplay Ally.

The simple truth is that upsets, while possible to occur due to 2 stocks and rage, also occur for a variety of other reasons people tend not to consider. Here are some good ones:

-A lack of matchup knowledge.
-Character matchup problems.
-Personality problems that inherently lead to inconsistencies.
-Player error, mental block, etc.
-Players that cause upsets being far better than people give them credit for.

Matchup knowledge is still something that's being laid out. A lot of people find it absurd that after X amount of time some players don't understand certain matchups, but this is to be expected. If you don't play a certain matchup very much and your primary concern is a matchup that you know you'll see a lot, you'll dedicate the majority of your time to that matchup. In Melee, you're not going to practice the :luigimelee: matchup very much when you're going to be seeing a lot of :falcomelee:, :foxmelee:, :marthmelee:, and :sheikmelee: bracket. This especially applies as a mid/low tier main, where your top priority is mastering your most difficult matchups to the best of your ability.

This means you're not going to be prepared if a very skilled player of a very uncommon character faces you in bracket. Some people are good enough to coast by or may have actual MU knowledge from study, but we see MU tank players a lot anyway.

:4olimar: Dabuz's Olimar has defeated a lot of people in part because Olimar is an uncommon matchup and very few good Olimars exist. Shuton doesn't travel much in Japan as far as I know, so even Japanese players might experience difficulty in the matchup. Kuro certainly did vs. Dabuz, even after cleanly beating his Rosalina.

:4megaman:ZeRo admits that his loss to Kamemushi was due to him not understanding the matchup. He said he wanted to play with ScAtt in the future to help rectify this because Kameme refused friendlies even after EVO was over. ZeRo is often honest about his wins or losses, so I trust he's telling the truth, and Mega Man is a character with a lot of untapped potential. ZeRo evidently
needed practice against a good one, and very few Mega Mans exist at the top level that would be suitable for practice against.

Etc, etc.

You can probably find numerous examples of either poor matchups or a lack of matchup knowledge tanking players at certain points in tournies. Ally seems to struggle against sword characters, which may reflect on Mario as a character having trouble against sword character. His high-level close calls/losses seem to include some things like:

-Games against Ned.
-A loss at CEO to a Corrin.
-A very close game with Mr. E at GOML.

...And, more obviously, Dabuz has shown to struggle against certain sword characters that are good at whacking Luma. He went 2-1 vs S2H, a Meta Knight main, indicating that even a mid-level Meta Knight can tank Rosalina if they know they ladder and play the matchup efficiently. It's as if you picked a low or bottom tier as a top level player against a high-tier. You're good, but no amount of good play can totally deter how lopsided a specific matchup can be. With 58 characters and balance superior to its predecessor, this is an inevitable reality, even for certain high-tiers.

Player error is another problem. Mr. R got 17th at EVO, a shockingly low placement for such a fantastic player who has beaten pretty much every top level player at least once. Why? He lost to Kamemushi due to a series of tech errors that led to SDs. This, in turn, can "tilt" a player, create a mental block, etc. Many players are known to be prone to this, even if it's towards one particular player or matchup. Again, just an example, but a good one nonetheless.

Tilt can lead to a snowball effect where players might not play as good as they're known to be able to even after the match is over. This is more ingrained in personality problems, but discouragement extending beyond the game you lost can hurt your playstyle and lead to you being exploited rather quickly. It's undeniable that ZeRo is afflicted by this. While I don't know if the match exists online, ZeRo vs. Salem at EVO was periscoped. ZeRo only got in top 32 because Salem made an error. He was one solid hit away from being eliminated at 33rd. This is after an expected and devastating loss to Mr. E. What happened the following day? ZeRo gets third after dominating everybody in loser's bracket until Kamemushi beat him.

Player error can also be less complex. With the ZD/Mew2King example I noted, Mew2King simply made a few dumb decisions and got punished hard for it because of the nature of had bad Luigi can gimp certain characters and how bad Cloud's recovery can be at times. This is inconsistency that's player-born, and not really reflective of the game's skill ceiling. If you play worse than your opponent or make errors that are circumstantially fatal, you lose, no matter how good you are. Mew2KIng also suffers from the "tilt" problem, probably more than any other top level player in the game's history. He is capable of defeating anybody in Melee or Smash 4, but his mindset holds him back, and he'll be much to hard on himself when he makes mistakes.

...Then, there's also upsets simply being caused by really good players. Look at the PGR. Now look at EVO's Top 32, your average Umebura results, etc. 2016 has been a breakout year. The metagame has shifted. There are people who're simply really good at the game who weren't well known previously. Samsora is PR'd 1 in Louisiana, and that's when Captain Zack, the state's #2 PR, had come out months prior to do really well against Texas. That should've been proper foreshadowing, right? Maybe not to the extent we saw, but it was at least indicative that Louisiana, despite not being known for an illustrious Smash scene, definitely has really good players.

ZeRo's losses in pools, for example, are likely partly due to his own mindset, but he also lost to people in pool finals. He's lost to Seagull Joe, Prince Ramen, Mr. E, and Day prior to top 32 brackets. These are all good players with decent track records, and all of them would likely rank somewhere in the Top 100. This doesn't mean they're on ZeRo's level, but none of them are incapable randoms with poor track records.

The comparisons to Melee are probably best made in the tech skill comparison. Smash 4 is hardly free on tech skill and it's a common misconception that it has none, and movement is still a key thing to master, but it's undeniable that it has less tech skill as a requirement.

The skill floor for Melee is insane, meaning tech error is simply more likely to happen in the lower ranks, and it's punished very harshly. This, combined with an incomparable history between the games (Sm4sh is young, Melee has been around for a long time and has had a greater time to establish itself and its players in the long term) leads to less upsets.

Another major point of comparison worth noting is that Sm4sh's upsets are somewhat exaggerated - you rarely see perceived "randoms" or mid-tier players making a gigantic splash throughout an entire tournament. Anybody in the top 15-20 of Smash 4 could conceivably take a major, whereas Melee has boiled it down to, more or less:

-Mang0
-Hungrybox
-Armada
-Leffen
-Outside chance of Mew2King

Sm4sh doesn't have the sheer dominance among its top ranks, and its top ranks are far more extensive. Any of these players could conceivably take a major, after ZeRo's dominant era finally came to a close prior to the Summer:

-ZeRo
-Ally
-Abadango
-Dabuz
-Nairo
-VoiD
-Mr. R
-Larry Lurr
-Ranai
-Mew2King
-Kamemushi
-Zinoto
-ANTi
-KEN
-Pink Fresh
-Marss

...This isn't meant to say that one game is better than the other due to having more variety (which isn't inherently good on its own), simply that top 8s and "upsets" are far more likely to occur when 20something players can all take tournies, meaning you'll have a lot of weird Winner's Quarters sets or Round 4 sets that can lead to bad brackets that throw fantastic players out at 17th or 13th even though they might've won a major two months ago. Add the other million factors I've listed, and you'll probably understand that it isn't as simple as the rulesets and game mechanics. I brought Melee into the discussion because people often use it as a comparison since it's extremely consistent.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
That's actually something I've been thinking about for a few weeks myself, Koopa.
In conclusion, you'd agree that the reason for inconsistency is due to no clear huge gap in player skill AND character potential like Melee has, right?
There's no M2K Sheik to absolutely slaughter everyone for playing a bad character in pools. Or a Mango Fox that shows up and smothers you in aggression, tech skill, and frame data.
You just tend to get out neutral'd a bunch of times. Look at the characters that are causing these upsets. Most of the time, they're characters that can heavily abuse rage and mitigate the fact that their character has lost neutral 95 times out of 100.
add to this the fact that(oddly enough it's the case with the brawl vets as well) our game's players aren't mentally sound and tilt FAAAAAAAAAAAAR too easily and you get a giant melting pot of upsets and inconsistency.
Maybe....just maybe rage is more mentally effective than in-game damaging? The fear factor of "I could die right now with this 80% lead and lose the set" causes one to play much worse than if you had never checked the %s at all.
I can't say for sure, though, because yknow. Sheik main. Just something to think about.

Last edited:

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
Lost my Data regarding character matchups, so I can't really say much objectively except that when you look at Cloud's MU records versus the other top tiers, it's actually horrendous (pre-endgame) M2K might be the factor in this, but EVO wasn't really included in the data due to the poor handling of information, which would serve positive in Cloud's favour.

Here's the facebook post I made regarding it:

‪#‎3GNixxStats‬

Cloud's Results versus other top tiers (played by notable players) at Major Tournaments from EGLX (April 29th-May 1st) onwards. (EVO Minimally included)

Diddy Kong: 8-16 (33% Win Rate)
Fox: 2-3 (40% Win Rate)
Mario: 7-9 (44% Win Rate)
Mewtwo: 1-2 (33% Win Rate)
Rosalina & Luma: 5-11 (31% Win Rate)
Sheik: 3-3 (50% Win Rate)
Sonic: 9-4 (69% Win Rate)
Zero Suit Samus: 5-13 (39% Win Rate)

Cloud Players included: M2K, ZeRo, AnTi, Tweek, Komorikiri, Ned, James, Sodrek

Abysmal to be honest. Not the record of a Top 5 threat. Even if you give a 10% window for each MatchUp specification (40-60% equals even, 30-39% equals -1 etc...) his record is still a rough...
1 Win, 4 Losses, and 3 Even.

I think I made this post in the other thread but It still holds water.

I would be interested in seeing mentally healthy M2K record with Cloud however, definitley a different level of Cloud then anybody else.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I still think that 2 stocks is a huge factor in inconsistency.
Most upsets happen prior to TopX where 2 Stock Bo3 is played which has huge consistency problems.

Ally getting upset by that Peach player at 3 stocks is not a counter-argument here, because we talk about upsets due to "randomness" while Ally got beaten fair and square twice by getting outplayed.

The inherent randomness due to 2 stocks makes upsets happen frequently in Pool rounds.
3 Stock Bo3 doesn't take as long as people seem to thing and TOs need to step up and give it a try. It would be a lot better for the game imo.

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
The standard at which most tournament sets are played without solid sound really changes the game's landscape.
Being able to hear a jump or dash start up is crucial, because knowing the general timing of actions afterwards allows pretty fast anticipation / twitch reactions.

A dash has sound effect frame 2, the same frame any dash movement is observable.
And I could be guessing with unclassified sub-actions, but audio on jumping is also frame 2.
(Mario).

If the best of the best visually reacts in around 10 frames (with the additional +6 for input delay), Audio reaction can be up to around 3~ frames faster (maybe towards 4-5 for some people), and specific sounds are likely a lot more identifiable than a lot of the animations we see (I think it's a lot easier to see the difference in attack start ups in prior games, but that could be just me).

We could go back and forth all day, or you could not throw out wrong conclusions as a matter of fact. Are you experienced with Zard? If so, surely you could show us something if you're going to say such things without referencing as much relevant data as possible (I see you giving frame data of some ground moves but that's still only a small fraction of the picture and doesn't justify what you're saying).
Charizard has one of the fastest dash speeds, with a low to the ground animation (difficult for characters to hit with aerials on the rise) and an 11 frame dash to shield. His range is greater than most characters - his jab in particular is insane (as an 11 frame oos punish, there isn't much better/safer across the entire cast).
An experienced opponent will do their best to keep Zard from getting his strong and ranged punishes (i.e. not letting him shield things), as him at least 'getting in' and pressuring at close range is a given for most of the characters he has to face.

What really lets him down is a lot of his hurtbox animations extending himself (his head) dangerously in start up and cooldown, meaning he can be outboxed by those with the right tools. But Charizard is an amazingly consistent punish character otherwise.
Dang calm down.

I am experienced with Charizard and many characters. In order to learn certain match-ups i learn how to use the character. I am not a Charizard main though. Which is partially why i believe im less biased towards this.

You aren't realizing that although charizard does have some good options, they aren't really better than what most of the cast already has. On top of that he's really big and gets combo'd hard.

And really, if he was as good as you're hyping him up to be, he would have better results and be higher on the tier list.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
DISCLAIMER: I've reading this thread at lapses throughout the day but didn't really get a chance to reply, and I want to get this out of my system before I forget about it.
Bad thing is, though, that it's nearing 2:30 am here so my mental state is not the best due to IRL stress, so it will probably come out as disorganized, so please understand.
I will, however, do my best to answer any inquiries you have about this post later.

That being said, RE: Lucina and Marth's disparity.

So while at Smash Factor, I met a lot of people, I made friends and practice partners with tons of Marth players (I swear, like 1/4 of the people there used Marth or Corrin), and I used that chance to sneak in and practice my own Lucina. Thank to that I improved a lot, even started beating local players that I was unable to before. The experience basically renewed my love for her and now I am maining her.

But anyway.

During my way back to town, I was wondering "how would I improve Lucina with patches/edits? (obviously without anything too crazy)".
It struck me that having a bit more KBG on some key aerial moves (Uair, Bair, Nair) would make wonders for her, since now her juggle game would be truly fearsome as they would actually kill, they would get opponents offstage easier, maybe even gimping better.
At least, that was the idea I had since I was under the idea that Marth's aerials only dealt more damage while having the same BKB and KBG. And I was OH SO WRONG.

Marth's tipper aerials have better damage output AND better knockback values.
Same with most tipper moves (more notably, Ftilt), thus explaining why they seem to kill much earlier: they actually do.

But it doesn't end there, Dancing Blade is the one where the tipper only has better damage, but the difference is very noticeable, it is actually able to kill without all the rage Lucina's would need, all while not being too inferior damage-wise than the granddaughter's. It's by all means and purposes simply superior.

All of this lead me to the conclusion that, even though their gameplan is similar, thanks to how the knockback formula works and Sakurai's decision to mess with Knockback values as well as damage when cloning Marth and creating Lucina, tippers have exponentially better kill power than Lucina's moves.

I am fairly convinced that, coming from a Lucina perspective, Marth follows the same "space-out" gameplan pretty much all the time, but then he cheeses victories out with tippers that Lucina will never be able to replicate. And that is a VERY important factor when it comes to viability.

So, to me at least, a 15/20/25 slots disparity is mathematically justifiable thanks to raw frame data.

:196:

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Also worth noting: Zard is definitely better against Sheik and Fox in my experience than, say, DK and Bowser.
Better than DK for sure. Not better than Bowser though. Bowser vs Fox is pretty much even in my experience though Zard vs Fox is far from the terrible matchup people make it out to be.

Generally people seem to think that Fox destroys heavyweights because they're easier to combo. That's actually not the case though - most of the combos and juggles Fox can pull off don't depend on weight, fall speed or hurtbox size. Olimar, for instance, is far easier to juggle with uair than Mewtwo is and Marth/Lucina are easier to juggle than Link [who for some reason just won't get juggled very well at all]. The two heavyweight characters that get truly destroyed by Fox are DK and DDD but that's not because they are easy to combo or juggle but because they have no way of getting Fox off of their face once he gets in. Bowser and Zard have both a very good jab and a useful OoS option that allow them to fight back and severly limit Fox' ever important mixup options. Fox has to be a lot more careful and patient on them whereas he can just run wild on DK and DDD.

Speaking of DK, that character is super-overrated and has no business being in high-mid tier. His range allows him to do decently vs swordfighters but both projectile campers and rushdown characters have an advantage over him by design. DKWill hasn't gotten any major results recently and his best win is against Ally's Mario. HIKARU gets most of his good placings through beating other mid-tier characters like ROB or Peach.

:059:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I've seen it happen many times before, not just in smash 4. People don't just dominate with a character for a while, keep getting upset in bracket while watching other players win regularly and be content with it. It builds up over time. The amount of effort Sheik players have to put in, only to get footstool combo'd by megaman and die at 48%, will take its toll.
If Mega Man wipes Shiek out of the competitive scene, I will donate my WiiU and its copy of Smash 4 to a charity of your choice.

Browny

Smash Hater
Okay.
That still doesn't mean anything when Mr. R, for example, has only made it outside of top 8 less times than I can count on my hand.
He never loses to randoms, either. So i'm not really sure what you're trying to get across.
If you're making top 8, you get paid at every relevant tournament.
Your name is out there.
You're probably sponsored or getting recruited by sponsors.
That's where your travel money comes from. No other character aside from Diddy can say they have ALWAYS made top 16/32 at majors.
What sort of mentality does it take to believe Sheik should be "dropped" by her best reps?
Mr.R is one of the best people to ever play brawl/smash 4.

The fact that he is highly consistent at getting 2nd/3rd in this game is a testament to his skill and an indictment on his character. I believe if he picked up another top tier like ZSS or Fox he would have a better chance at winning tournaments. 'Weaker' players have bigger wins than he does and sure, maybe its a fluke (pink fresh at the recent 2GGT, Abadango at Pound), but someone of Mr Rs skill level has a disproportionate amount of 2nd and 3rd places for someone of his calibre.

I don't really need to justify what I think, I'm just saying that I expect sheik to feature less and less. Zero dropped sheik for good and Void has been spotted multiple times using secondaries. If Mr R comes up against Kamemushi anytime soon and its a repeat of every other time they play, I expect that will be the last time he faces a megaman with sheik and thats where it all starts, finding more and more matchups that aren't so draining playing as sheik.

Yikarur

Smash Master
He pretty much steamrolled Kamemushi in all sets their played.
He lost because of SDs and that super crazy early death combo. It's not Sheiks fault.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
It's a good starting point, you can really tell the BRs haven't had much experience with certain characters. Lucas being so far below Ness is particularly offensive.
Going to go ahead and say I think Lucas was one of the cases screwed over a bit by time. I wanted Lucas to be higher for quite a while but even forgot to change my own vote in time which had him shockingly low (as I couldn't justify him being any higher when I first made my vote).

MU niches with Ryu, Bayo, Ness, Pika, ZSS and Rosa too stronk.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I personally think all 3 of the plumbers, Wario, Bowser jr, and Falco should be moved to favorable. He can abuse their lack of range while also juggling and edgeguarding them super well. In BJR's case its pretty much just how fast can you throw him offstage and then burn him to death. Cloud, Ryu (I'm kind of iffy on this one) and Lucario feel even. Bayonetta probably be switched with Sonic tbh because **** Sonic
That matchup sheet is old and I'd probably change a lot.

I'd keep the plumbers where they are though. I'd agree on moving Jr, Falco, and Cloud down. I used to think Cloud having problems with flamethrower was just player problems but I've since seen its actually an issue with Cloud.

And Sonic isn't that bad honestly. At least I've had little issue with him.
I am willing to bet that Charizard is better than Robin and Luigi.
No. I'd say Zard is better than a lot of characters before Robin and Luigi.

Heck, people are asking for who Zard is better than.

Might as well give my opinion there...

:4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4zelda::4olimar::4littlemac::4falco::4feroy::4duckhunt::4drmario::4palutena::4miigun::4miisword:

Yeah, opinions and what not. Miis are assumed to be 1111.
-UTilt on frame 9, and multiple other Zard mains have told me UTilt is terrible
Don't listen to them. They're stupid. Utilt is rather awesome.
Zard actually forces me off of Sheik to Fox sometimes.
Really? I'd rather fight Fox than Sheik.

I mean they both fall on the easier of the top tiers for Charizard to deal with but still.

Also loving all the Zard discussion. <3

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I find it humorous how obsessed people get with FAFs on moves. Peeps gotta remember that not every move needs to be good in OoS or aerial v aerial situations to be amazing. :)

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I still think t
hat 2 stocks is a huge factor in inconsistency.
Most upsets happen prior to TopX where 2 Stock Bo3 is played which has huge consistency problems.

Ally getting upset by that Peach player at 3 stocks is not a counter-argument here, because we talk about upsets due to "randomness" while Ally got beaten fair and square twice by getting outplayed.

The inherent randomness due to 2 stocks makes upsets happen frequently in Pool rounds.
3 Stock Bo3 doesn't take as long as people seem to thing and TOs need to step up and give it a try. It would be a lot better for the game imo.
The factors that lead to losses are always specific and never random. That's my point. People write it off as "Oh, Smash 4 is inconsistent..." without ever trying to look into the exact details and circumstances as to why beyond "rage/2 stocks", and while that's a factor, it's not the main one. There's no inherent randomness unless you 9'd or =_='d a stock off. The fact that people write these circumstances off is a terrible mindset because it's favoring a simplistic and incorrect explanation for a phenomenon that's not even that difficult to analyze.

Take, for example, ZeRo's set vs. Ramen;

He loses the first stock due to rage + Ramen making a smart read, but he immediately evens it by scoring a Fair on the ledge. His typical skill should dictate a simple recovery from there, but he's simply outplayed, and he doesn't DI Palutena's dash attack at the end of game 1. Momentum in Ramen's favor and player error shook ZeRo into losing game 1. Thing is, there are two games at least, and rage shenanigans aren't so prevalent that they completely and commonly override player skill.

Game 2, ZeRo is simply outplayed by Ramen after a very, very even game. No real tricks or silliness. Uair was likely a threat rage or not and should've been something ZeRo sought to avoid and first stock had no rage factor. I'm referencing this set since it's probably the most unusual of the 4 upsets towards ZeRo, and ZeRo in particular is such a good player that people upsetting him is definitely worth referencing.

Point being, players have multiple games to adapt and not lose to silly little tricks people can occasionally pull of with rage. When you see upsets like this, it's generally because the seemingly better player made mistakes or because the "worse" player happened to outplay the other. A player of that caliber isn't losing because of mechanics/rulesets most of the time.

i mean his loss to day was silly but we've come to accept lucario is terribly designed so yeah lol

Like, I don't think there's enough wrong with the ruleset to the point where good players don't get rewarded. How many major upsets that occur in pools/pre top 32 have actually happened in the last several months, anyway? I'm not talking mid-level players like Mr. Eric beating Pugwest or something totally plausible, I mean unknowns or mid-low-levels beating top players.

Not many of these incidents have actually occurred, and some upsets run concurrent with my point about certain players being far better than people gave them credit for. E.g, Taiheita taking sets off Marss and Abadango.

If this game was as upset heavy as people proclaim it to be, then I don't thing the player composition of each top 8 would be as predictable and as expected as it is, with the ordering of the placements being the most erratic thing. You can have any top 20 player making top 8, but that player can go 7th or 1st, because the people they're competing with are incredibly skilled in their own right.

It's probably not a coincidence that the majority of these upsets come to ZeRo (who gets mental block) or players like Trela, who literally forfeit at Endgame after losing 1 game to Panda Bair.

3 stocks or 2 stocks, I basically think that people don't examine things enough, and simplify things they probably shouldn't simplify when it robs the game of analysis that it deserves.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223

(Mario).

If I recall correctly, Corrin's F-Smash and maybe Dragon Lunge both have earlier sound effects to warn the opponent of what's going to happen.

Fenny

Smash Ace
Here's some Sonic porn for you people ... in case you haven't seen it yet:

:059:
Dear lord, KEN is sickening.

As a Bayo main I'm envious of how vicious and damn near flawless KEN's punish game is. I heard he only dropped 2 games in S.A.T. Makes me wanna get better.

....Why is Mario above Sanik again?

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I mean, I don't think we've ever seen a punish game that precise in practice from a Sonic, and the voting ended long before S.A.T happened. I think Sonic is top 3 at the moment and those sets demonstrate how dangerous he can be.

inb4KengoestoAmericaandgets31654161th

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Dear lord, KEN is sickening.

As a Bayo main I'm envious of how vicious and damn near flawless KEN's punish game is. I heard he only dropped 2 games in S.A.T. Makes me wanna get better.

....Why is Mario above Sanik again?
Cause Ally was not voting probably!

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I think my post on the news page sums up my reaction to the tier list. The main criticisms I have are:

Link's even lower placement than last time despite showing an extremely more frequent and better amount of results at large tournaments, thus rendering previous MUs to be re-written or re-explored.

Dark Pit's lower placement (by two placements) than Pit. I don't know how the hell that would even happen since the two are nearly the same exact character, except one has better kill potential and one has a better arrow. And since both are nearly the same character, wouldn't they be in the exact same spot(s)?

Roy still being in low tier despite having all the faults of a bottom 5 character and the results of a bottom 3 character. I've no idea why Roy of all characters is still that high despite having lackluster MUs and results.

It's apparently clear that we just still aren't ready for a second tier list. Last one screamed "too early" to me and now this one really screams not only "too early" but also "complete bias".

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
I think my post on the news page sums up my reaction to the tier list. The main criticisms I have are:

Link's even lower placement than last time despite showing an extremely more frequent and better amount of results at large tournaments, thus rendering previous MUs to be re-written or re-explored.

Dark Pit's lower placement (by two placements) than Pit. I don't know how the hell that would even happen since the two are nearly the same exact character, except one has better kill potential and one has a better arrow. And since both are nearly the same character, wouldn't they be in the exact same spot(s)?

Roy still being in low tier despite having all the faults of a bottom 5 character and the results of a bottom 3 character. I've no idea why Roy of all characters is still that high despite having lackluster MUs and results.

It's apparently clear that we just still aren't ready for a second tier list. Last one screamed "too early" to me and now this one really screams not only "too early" but also "complete bias".
Well, while Link has been getting more results now, etc. The same can be said for the other characters the outplaced him. Nothing can honestly be complete biased when dozens of voters are voting. The voters are not all Link haters, or all Roy lovers. Bias was probably there for some tier lists, however of this tier list is HEAVILY unlikely to be "complete" bias. You named 3-4 character misplacements out of like 50 something and your calling it too early? While I agree Link my be a bit lower than I would place him, completely calling off the list because of him being one of your only reasonings is and example of, oh wait, Complete Bias. No tier list is gonna be perfect, and now I'm just rambling, so I am gonna stop.

Ropalme1914

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ropalme
https://mobile.twitter.com/DabuzSenpai/status/768084322297401344
Both Kirihara and Dabuz posted their matchup charts for Rosa. One thing that I find interisting is about the Cloud matchup, while long debated if it's even, in Cloud's favor or in Rosa's favor, that's two more votes for Cloud's favor (Kirihara matchup chart is the one with undefined in everything).

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team

Link didn't have a negative displacement; he actually was higher from last time, albeit it wasn't a major jump. He also had the highest amount of standard deviation thanks to the fact that he's actually getting spot in the limelight, but not everyone views Link the same, as the data has shown. Some, like myself, put him in their low tiers, but others say differently. That's just how it kind of goes with voting, especially on a character prone to mixed opinions.
This is something I plan to address, mainly because it's something I had a personal stake with. The Pits are displaced because certain regions view Pittoo as quite inferior to Pit, while others generally view them as actual equals.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I won't make a habit of this since "I told you so" posts annoy me, but I'm so happy to see the BR cut that 13-char high tier BS from last tier list and present the 20-ish sized high tier that I always said this game deserved.

Just because I was asked about it in the other thread:

@Mario766 @Nidtendofreak

I did NOT put Ike as 7th worst on my Tier List lmao wtf

My Tier List differs a good degree from what the final results showed; of course, I'm sure this was the case for a lot of the 4BR people. I'll post my personal list here just for reference's sake.

Mii Fighters are Guest/1111, and there is ordering within the tiers.

I'm sure my voting choices are going to bring up a lot more questions than they answer though lol
I actually agree with you that Greninja is better than Pikachu, or at least will be the more effective character long-term barring a gamebreaking Pika AT discovery, but I'm surprised to see him so high. What are your thoughts? I'm guessing your sets with Venia have had an impact.

Sonic also seems pretty low here.

Last edited:

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
I agree with this pretty much, although I think Lucas is severely underrated compared to Ness.
Lucas has lately totally outperformed Ness, gets just as much if not more off of grabs, is safer, and has arguably less trouble landing the stock.
Personally, I agree to some extent. I do believe they place Lucas pretty low. He's much better at edge guarding than Ness, well overall better near the edge, but for Ness if you really wanted you could camp them out better plus I believe he can kill earlier than Lucas with back throw, U-air, and B-air. If you can land the F-Smash then even better. Though Lucas can up throw, still I feel Lucas can placed a little higher at least over R.O.B.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Yeah, that's the kind of opening that'll make me want to skip past the rest of the post right quick.

I do wonder what would've happened if KEN had to go up against Kamemushi, though. We might be singing his praises if he hadn't SD'd in game 1.

teddystalin

Smash Apprentice
I do wonder what would've happened if KEN had to go up against Kamemushi, though. We might be singing his praises if he hadn't SD'd in game 1.
Actually, KEN beat Kameme 2-1 the last time they played back in February. And the way KEN was playing that night, it didn't seem like anyone could stop him, bad MUs or otherwise.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
https://mobile.twitter.com/DabuzSenpai/status/768084322297401344
Both Kirihara and Dabuz posted their matchup charts for Rosa. One thing that I find interisting is about the Cloud matchup, while long debated if it's even, in Cloud's favor or in Rosa's favor, that's two more votes for Cloud's favor (Dabuz matchup chart is the one with undefined in everything).
)
Just for reference, I actually switched them up, Kirihara's chart is the one with the undefined (idk why that glitch happens...)

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
)
Just for reference, I actually switched them up, Kirihara's chart is the one with the undefined (idk why that glitch happens...)
Just wondering, I thought you said earlier that Cloud Rosa was even, might of been Falln tho now that I think about it. Why do you think Lucario is a losing, albeit not that bad, matchup for rosa?

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I actually agree with you that Greninja is better than Pikachu, or at least will be the more effective character long-term barring a gamebreaking Pika AT discovery, but I'm surprised to see him so high. What are your thoughts? I'm guessing your sets with Venia have had an impact.
I remember seeing a surprising amount of Greninja in top 15 of a good number of votes which was honestly surprising to see. Not even I placed him that high (he ended up 16th but if I had a chance to update my tier list he'd probably be 18th or something idk). I don't think I can justify such a placing myself so I'm definitely curious about what reasoning goes into that myself lol

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
The factors that lead to losses are always specific and never random. That's my point. People write it off as "Oh, Smash 4 is inconsistent..." without ever trying to look into the exact details and circumstances as to why beyond "rage/2 stocks", and while that's a factor, it's not the main one. There's no inherent randomness unless you 9'd or =_='d a stock off. The fact that people write these circumstances off is a terrible mindset because it's favoring a simplistic and incorrect explanation for a phenomenon that's not even that difficult to analyze.

Take, for example, ZeRo's set vs. Ramen;

He loses the first stock due to rage + Ramen making a smart read, but he immediately evens it by scoring a Fair on the ledge. His typical skill should dictate a simple recovery from there, but he's simply outplayed, and he doesn't DI Palutena's dash attack at the end of game 1. Momentum in Ramen's favor and player error shook ZeRo into losing game 1. Thing is, there are two games at least, and rage shenanigans aren't so prevalent that they completely and commonly override player skill.

Game 2, ZeRo is simply outplayed by Ramen after a very, very even game. No real tricks or silliness. Uair was likely a threat rage or not and should've been something ZeRo sought to avoid and first stock had no rage factor. I'm referencing this set since it's probably the most unusual of the 4 upsets towards ZeRo, and ZeRo in particular is such a good player that people upsetting him is definitely worth referencing.

Point being, players have multiple games to adapt and not lose to silly little tricks people can occasionally pull of with rage. When you see upsets like this, it's generally because the seemingly better player made mistakes or because the "worse" player happened to outplay the other. A player of that caliber isn't losing because of mechanics/rulesets most of the time.

Not many of these incidents have actually occurred, and some upsets run concurrent with my point about certain players being far better than people gave them credit for. E.g, Taiheita taking sets off Marss and Abadango.

If this game was as upset heavy as people proclaim it to be, then I don't thing the player composition of each top 8 would be as predictable and as expected as it is, with the ordering of the placements being the most erratic thing. You can have any top 20 player making top 8, but that player can go 7th or 1st, because the people they're competing with are incredibly skilled in their own right.
Even losing 1 game due to rage is huge in a BO3. I don't see how you could possibly downplay it after posting such a big example. And to say it doesn't happen often and is being exaggerated is equally misleading. I'm not going to list every upset that's happened in the past few months as they are too numerous and I'm too lazy to check. But just off the top of my head:

Ally lost to a GnW in pools
Ally lost to Zenyou (Mario)
Ally lost to multiple different Corrins in pools recently
Void also lost to a different GnW
M2K lost to Luigi in pools
Anti lost to Xaltis and then Dath at Evo
Zero lost to Mr.E at Evo and Day at SSC
Abadango lost to Rich Brown at SSC

You can look up many, many more examples in just the past few months. Upsets happen all the time. In fact if you took a look at the top 24 bracket at SSC before it got played out and someone asked you which side was losers and winners you'd get them wrong. Why? Because most top players, especially those that had been doing really well recently were sent to losers early and as a result the bottom half of the bracket looked way more stacked.

The reason top 8s still ends up being familiar faces is because the players causing upsets aren't good enough to make top 8. They are good for an upset or two and then they lose soon afterwards. Which is more proof that the lesser players are winning in these cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom