• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Never thought I'd see the day where Lucario Dair was categorized as a "bad normal".

Uair too, for that matter. That bugger's enormous and strong to boot.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
lucario is the most complained about bad character i have ever seen. he isnt underrated nir overlooked. hes a character with bad mobiluty,bad normals (excepr bair), no kill throws ( to my knowledge). only exceptional skill is recovery. everything else is pretty meh and a character reliant on rage will just get worse as players kill more efficiently.
Hmmm I dont know; he's got pretty decent mobility from what I've experienced. Has great but complicated combos and a supply of kill moves that can be landed through certain comfirms. I wouldn't say he's bad by any means. Just complicated

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
I think his hitboxes are too small given his mediocre mobility. Can't really out-button or out-range anyone.

His shield grab and aura sphere are fantastic moves though.

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
lucario is the most complained about bad character i have ever seen. he isnt underrated nir overlooked. hes a character with bad mobiluty,bad normals (excepr bair), no kill throws ( to my knowledge). only exceptional skill is recovery. everything else is pretty meh and a character reliant on rage will just get worse as players kill more efficiently.
There's quite a few things wrong with this post:

1. His normals perfectly fine dtilt, utilt, ftilt, dair, bair, fair, and uair are all moves with a function and all of them serve that function just fine, and yes with higher aura he does in fact get a kill throw but I also like how you completely ignored his command grab.

2. while his mobilty isn't anything special its far from bad: fantastic foxtrot, top 20 airspeed, great aerial acceleration, best traction in the game, and a fantastic wavebounce/breverse game which allow for good mixups with landings.

3. "Everything else is pretty meh." Ok what about his fantatic grab game and the moves he has that lead into his grab, how about having one of the best projectiles in the game which also leads to him being one of the best ledge trappers in the game, how about his absurd camping and shield pressure he gets once he gets aura, how about being able to cheese every single character MU in the game, did I also mention that his command grab is amazing?

If you're going to make a judgement on a character look at all of the the tools and options they have and stop making these baseless statements that mislead people into thinking a character has nothing going for them.

Last edited:

my_T

Smash Journeyman
I think his hitboxes are too small given his mediocre mobility. Can't really out-button or out-range anyone.

His shield grab and aura sphere are fantastic moves though.
Yea wait until he gets about 80% of rage or higher then moves like nair, dair, bair all become very safe on shield. His hitboxes increase in size, do more damage/knockback, Aura Sphere just gets absurd. He also gains true block strings like nair to grab and dair to side B.

His neutral is ass at early percents but it improves a quite a bit once he hits later percents, though nothing really overwhelming

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
nannerham nannerham states my views bluntly. Lucario is awesome.

blackghost blackghost I'll give you the aura thing; if players can capitalize with killing early then it takes away a major strength, but that doesn't happen easily and it's probably not going to. I play a fair bit of Lucario and he's ridiculously fun, complex, scary, versatile, useful, tactile, powerful, agile, and more. You really are undermining his grab game; he has the best pummel and respectable throws. Being used to playing Marcina where I get 4 damage per throw + 2 for every pummel, getting like 6 or so percent off a throw and about 8 from pummels is really amazing

If you have time, watch Izaw's Art of Lucario. It's great and 100x better than Art of Marth (because AoM triggered me)

Last edited:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Yea wait until he gets about 80% of rage or higher then moves like nair, dair, bair all become very safe on shield. His hitboxes increase in size, do more damage/knockback, Aura Sphere just gets absurd. He also gains true block strings like nair to grab and dair to side B.

His neutral is *** at early percents but it improves a quite a bit once he hits later percents, though nothing really overwhelming
As far as I know, his hitboxes do not increase in size. (from using him)

smbmaster99MFGG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
smbmaster99
in addition to what other players have said, lucario has several really strong confirms: aura sphere > up smash, 1st hit of d-air > command grab, aura sphere > b-air (only works when both are at high %), aura sphere > reverse f-air > b-air (which is a strong threat by the ledge even without a lot of aura and kills earlier than aura sphere > up smash)

A lucario who survives long suddenly has one of the best recoveries in the game. Admittedly it's difficult to control, but if you know how to angle it you can recover from 99% of the angles you can be knocked at. I've been spiked at moderate and fairly high % before and made it back safely all the way from the bottom blast zone.

smbmaster99MFGG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
smbmaster99
I was talking about his specials. However, I'm not sure about his normals; some clarification on that would be nice
The only hitboxes lucario has that grow larger the more damage he takes are his side B hitbox and Aura Sphere. His recovery becomes a lot faster but the hitbox at the end stays the same size. All the rest of his moves remain the same.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Why is ZSS neutral considered bad? I don't know much about her, but from what I've seen she has safe aerials and an excellent grab. Her grab isn't good OOS obviously but it can cover so many options offensively. Only problem I see is that she only has one projectile and it's fairly commital frame-wise, so she can't set up grab frame-traps as easy as someone like Toon Link.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
How can :4zss:'s neutral be considered bad when she has that crazy frame 3 Utilt?! In addition to frame 1 jab, flip, incredible mobility...

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Lack of rising aerials =/= bad neutral

ZSS still has the best mobility in the game, an amazing zair, nair, bair, a threatening grab, pp jab, and good oos. I have no idea where the idea that she has a bad neutral game from

blackghost

Smash Champion
There's quite a few things wrong with this post:

1. His normals perfectly fine dtilt, utilt, ftilt, dair, bair, fair, and uair are all moves with a function and all of them serve that function just fine, and yes with higher aura he does in fact get a kill throw but I also like how you completely ignored his command grab.

2. while his mobilty isn't anything special its far from bad: fantastic foxtrot, top 20 airspeed, great aerial acceleration, best traction in the game, and a fantastic wavebounce/breverse game which allow for good mixups with landings.

3. "Everything else is pretty meh." Ok what about his fantatic grab game and the moves he has that lead into his grab, how about having one of the best projectiles in the game which also leads to him being one of the best ledge trappers in the game, how about his absurd camping and shield pressure he gets once he gets aura, how about being able to cheese every single character MU in the game, did I also mention that his command grab is amazing?

If you're going to make a judgement on a character look at all of the the tools and options they have and stop making these baseless statements that mislead people into thinking a character has nothing going for them.
1. serving that function just fine doesnt mean the character is overlooked. these normals are just meh.

2, 20th in air speed, 33 walk speed 38th in run speed. wave bounce is nice but its just one thing.

3. does he have an actual combo throw? uothrow mybe judging by the angle. his command grab is frame 9 thats extremely slow.

my other issue with lucario is his lack of anything consistent. dont tell me the character is overlooked when i dont see him do well consistently or really ever. thats due to hus design makes him a meh character. everything he has another character does it better.
aura sphere? lol shadow ball OR power shot command grab? rather have bowser, warios, or diddy's. recovery pthers go almost as far and are easier to control. dtilt there are plenty better. up air once agin plenty better. every normal (save bair) has a superior.
absurd camping pressure? thats his aura creating pressure. with low mobility stats most characters in the game can catch him. character is scary with rage but then again who isn't? getting cheesed by the character isn't even a huge difference when characters like bayo, zss, mk, bowser, and elite shieks exist without needing extra help. i never said the character is bad. i said the character is meh. i think of lucario like i think of pit, ike, and rob. just average characters. nothing inherently wrong but saying they are better doesnt have support.

Quappo

Smash Rookie
Didn't realize my visualizations on character usage rates over time were being sporadically posted in here -- I made a full thread in this forum if anyone was interested in discussing them more. I'm following up in here because a reddit user requested figures with multiple characters plotted together for direct comparison, and I figured I'd share them here as well.

Only S and A tiers:

S, A and B tiers:

ALL characters together (just for fun, since I knew this would be impossible to read):

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Hrmm I'm going to back out of this one, being a character loyalist means the only experience I have with certain characters is playing against them. I will say this though. Once lucario gets it's aura up I can't approach with my zard but lucario has no problem applying shield pressure with his ridiculous projectile (which also holds you in place if he lands on you while charging it which shadow ball doesn't do). I've once gotten aura sphere charge locked and upsmashed because I literally couldn't DI or SDI once the charge got me in place and once it looked like I was going to escape WHAM upsmashed.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
3. does he have an actual combo throw? uothrow mybe judging by the angle. his command grab is frame 9 thats extremely slow.
Dthrow combos at very low percents, Uthrow combos at higher percents.
Also, in what world is frame 9 extremely slow? For a jab, maybe, but a command grab? That's only one frame slower than Wario's.

Last edited:

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
1. serving that function just fine doesnt mean the character is overlooked. these normals are just meh.

2, 20th in air speed, 33 walk speed 38th in run speed. wave bounce is nice but its just one thing.

my other issue with lucario is his lack of anything consistent. dont tell me the character is overlooked when i dont see him do well consistently or really ever. thats due to hus design makes him a meh character. everything he has another character does it better.
aura sphere? lol shadow ball OR power shot command grab? rather have bowser, warios, or diddy's. recovery pthers go almost as far and are easier to control. dtilt there are plenty better. up air once agin plenty better. every normal (save bair) has a superior.
absurd camping pressure? thats his aura creating pressure. with low mobility stats most characters in the game can catch him. character is scary with rage but then again who isn't? getting cheesed by the character isn't even a huge difference when characters like bayo, zss, mk, bowser, and elite shieks exist without needing extra help. i never said the character is bad. i said the character is meh. i think of lucario like i think of pit, ike, and rob. just average characters. nothing inherently wrong but saying they are better doesnt have support.
If you think Lucario is middle of the line, that's fine. That's your thing and I won't insist you believe otherwise. But know that you're most likely a minority in this case.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
does he have an actual combo throw? uothrow mybe judging by the angle. his command grab is frame 9 thats extremely slow.
his up throw combos into u-air with a wide percent window on most of the cast.

also how is a frame 9 command grab slow lmao. point me to the plethora of command grabs that are faster than lucarios

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Smash 4 @ Evo Sunday WooOOooooOOooo

Bayonetta thoughts! I don't think I've done this before:

In my previous post I talked about how Cloud has that perpetual recovery issue. You can consider this a "shortcut" to beating Cloud that lets you turn the tide of a match quickly if you're successful.

Sheik doesn't have a recovery problem, but she takes longer to KO opponents than most other characters. The shortcut that exists when fighting her is simply.... rage. It won't turn the match around every time, but it's a real possibility.

There are no shortcuts when fighting Bayonetta. You can't quickly turn the tide against her, no matter what you do. Got her on the ledge? She has some of the best escape options in the game. Hit her? She can After Burner Kick away or turn it around into a combo of her own. Try to gimp her? Good luck. Try to take her off the top of the screen? Do so at your own peril.

To come back from a deficit against her, you have to just straight-up outplay her at every turn, over and over, and slowly chip away at her lead. There's pretty much no other way. In contrast, she basically has a "shortcut" against every character in the game.

This is why the best characters for fighting her are the ones that can just most reliably win neutral over and over, and then deal consistent, high levels of damage against her once they get in: Mewtwo, Sheik, Diddy Kong. Maybe someone else I'm not thinking of. Mewtwo in particular stands out to me because of how brutally it gets ladder comboed yet somehow makes the comeback frequently (see Wadi vs. Pink Fresh's five hundred matches). This is because Mewtwo's damage output at a base level is crazy high, so he makes each victory in neutral count.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Just for reference, only Wario and Bowser (grounded) have faster command grabs, at frame 8.
so basically the characters with the fastest command grabs (frame 8) have an extra frame faster than lucario's

still not seeing how this renders lucario's incredibly slow by comparison, especially when his is faster than 6 characters that have command grabs

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham

What am I even reading? You just literally proved that you know absolutely nothing about the character, "does he have an actual combo throw?" Why are you making judgments on a character if you don't even know if they have a combo throw? To answer your question yes he has a fantastic combo throw which is uthrow, it sending you and 88 degree makes reading DI a non-issue and he can get all kinds off combos and strings off of it, and uthrow-> uair is a kill confirm that works both with and without aura. "Absurd camping pressure? That's his aura creating pressure." Well no duh, I don't care how much you want to avoid it aura will always be a factor in any MU you go into, even if you end his stock early he has a mechanic where its even easier to get aura (its called anubis)

I love how your spewing out different moves that have different uses on their respective characters, are you really comparing shadow ball to aura sphere, can shadow ball's charge be used as a way to limit ledge options that can lead to combos and the loss of the opponents stock, no. Can shadow ball's charge lead to free pressure on the opponents shield that can make the threat of shield breaking that much more dangerous, no. Can shadow ball 2 frame opponents, no. Shadow ball and Aura sphere serve different roles and functions to their respective character and you should stop comparing 2 completely different moves. And if you think frame 9 is slow for a command grab then I don't know what to tell you lol, frame 9 is faster than a majority of character's dash grabs and the only command grabs that are faster than lucario's are bowser's and wario's which are only 1 frame faster, his command grab can kill even earlier bowser's and he has true setups into it.

i never said the character is bad.
lucario is the most complained about bad character i have ever seen.
Your words not mine. Before you say another word about lucario go out, do some research, ask his mains what he can do, I don't care that you don't think he's overlooked just stop lowballing him and making it sound like the only thing he has going him is "lol aura" when that clearly isn't the case.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
So... if you want to beat Bayo, you have to be good at the game? I'm not really seeing the issue here. If bayo was really as threatening as you all make her out to be, why isn't she winning everything? especially with all the talented players piloting her.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
So... if you want to beat Bayo, you have to be good at the game? I'm not really seeing the issue here. If bayo was really as threatening as you all make her out to be, why isn't she winning everything? especially with all the talented players piloting her.
Excellent point here, Bayo's weaknesses are actually well telegraphed.

DI/SDI:Her combos don't work if an opponent falls out of them, and she has to read her opponents DI/SDI if she needs to cover this.

Laggy smashes: Minor nitpick since she typically has no reason to use them but still.

Grabs/command grabs: One of her major weaknesses WT doesn't protect against it and she doesn't have a ton of tools to keep opponents out of grab range, can she keep them from grabbing her? Yes but it requires reads and if she ends up in a kill throw it doesn't end well for her.

Light Weight: She isn't exactly the heaviest character on the roster, someone can correct me on this if i'm wrong but isn't she around Sheik's weight?

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
While your first statement is true, that's not quite what I was saying.

What I'm arguing is that one of Bayonetta's real strengths is that she has little to no defensive volatility.

Cloud, you can gimp. Sheik you can get rage KOs on. Mewtwo is a glass cannon who can't afford to make many mistakes. Zero Suit Samus is stymied by a bad grab that can leave her wide open for a powerful hit. Marth's recovery is solid but very linear and thus fairly predictable. Diddy can get barrel gimped (and sometimes he just flies into the ledge and bounces off and dies). These are weaknesses that, if exploited, can turn a losing match into a winning one quickly.

Bayonetta has weaknesses (long end lag on dodges, landing lag accumulation, grabs can beat out Witch Time), but they're all small enough that no single thing can take her down.

Another character I think who doesn't really have any defensive volatility is Sonic.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
While your first statement is true, that's not quite what I was saying.

What I'm arguing is that one of Bayonetta's real strengths is that she has little to no defensive volatility.

Cloud, you can gimp. Sheik you can get rage KOs on. Mewtwo is a glass cannon who can't afford to make many mistakes. Zero Suit Samus is stymied by a bad grab that can leave her wide open for a powerful hit. Marth's recovery is solid but very linear and thus fairly predictable. Diddy can get barrel gimped (and sometimes he just flies into the ledge and bounces off and dies). These are weaknesses that, if exploited, can turn a losing match into a winning one quickly.

Bayonetta has weaknesses (long end lag on dodges, landing lag accumulation, grabs can beat out Witch Time), but they're all small enough that no single thing can take her down.

Another character I think who doesn't really have any defensive volatility is Sonic.
That's actually very true, she has weaknesses but they aren't so glaring that it bogs her down as much as the rest of the cast and those weaknesses can be worked around. It's probably why she's such a good character.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Bayonetta's weaknesses are so pitifully trifling that they barely register a thought in the midst of a fight.

Landing lag accumulation? D-ABK away from everyone and take the hilariously small landing lag from the landing kick. Bad airdodges? It's not Brawl Peach airdodge tier and she has Bat Within backing her up. Grabs beating Witch Time? Better hope she didn't UpB or ABK into your grab attempt on that WT read, or hope you react in time to catch her before she escapes.

Other top tiers are caught in a corner, they have a 50:50 chance of getting ****ed up. Bayonetta gets caught in a corner, there's a 50:50 chance of you getting ****ed up. This is why fighting Bayonetta is so aggravating for people, to know that they have the player caught in a corner, only to have a reversal of absolute majesty being enforced on them because they made one simple misjudge.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Hrmm with that I don't think bayonetta got nerfed enough....do you think Witch twist or abk should be nerfed?
Nerfing Witch Twist or ABK would be like Nerfing Banana to no longer make people trip, or removing Bouncing Fish's kill power, or making Limit charge twice as slow and limit moves much worse. You can't nerf Witch Twist and ABK without completely gutting the character.

Also, PLAY CAREFULLY. I know it's not your favourite thing to do probably, but careful play is the secret to beating Bayo. Knowing when to apply pressure, when to bait out an attack, when to punish her attempts to escape, and how far you can go without opening yourself up to a severe punish. Bonus points for careful, smart zoning.

It's almost like you have to think about playing well, huh?

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
I want to bring up Samus for a bit. She has excellent stage control with that Charge Shot. A projectile like that may not be as threatening as rage Aura Sphere, but it is essentially almost a Shield Breaker as a projectile. Its speed can cover airdodges and ledge recovery options. Her Bomb is good for limiting approaches. I think if Homing Missile were better, she might have better tournament representation and results. People forget how good her Up Air is sometimes.

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
Dthrow combos at very low percents, Uthrow combos at higher percents.
Up throw is actually better in every single situation: better angle, down throw takes longer to act out of, and kind of DI away ruins follow ups off of it, and you can get more combos and strings off of up throw but that's a common misconception.

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Nerfing Witch Twist or ABK would be like Nerfing Banana to no longer make people trip, or removing Bouncing Fish's kill power, or making Limit charge twice as slow and limit moves much worse. You can't nerf Witch Twist and ABK without completely gutting the character.

Also, PLAY CAREFULLY. I know it's not your favourite thing to do probably, but careful play is the secret to beating Bayo. Knowing when to apply pressure, when to bait out an attack, when to punish her attempts to escape, and how far you can go without opening yourself up to a severe punish. Bonus points for careful, smart zoning.

It's almost like you have to think about playing well, huh?
I just meant to nerf ONE or the OTHER not BOTH. I agree that nerfing both of them would gut the character but both of them combined make her too much. If you did something simple like increase the landing lag on D-ABK or remove witch twists invulnerability to make it gimpable she'd be a touch more balanced character (again though only one or the other not BOTH that's going to far)

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
-Grounded Witch Twist's initial hitboxes with an amplified SDI multiplier, or just different knockback altogether, so that breaking out of the ladder before it starts because Bayonetta dashed in and 4f UpBd is feasible, and in turn encourages a risk factor for Bayonetta to get her ladders going.
-Sourspot hitboxes at the latter half of ABK so optimal neutral aerial spacing does not risk a conversion into a ladder of death.

There. Two simple changes that give the people fighting Bayonetta a sense of relief that they are playing neutral correctly, without compromising the overall power of Bayonetta's combo ability, only forcing her to take slightly more commitment with a jump, or getting closer with ABK in the neutral game. That was easy.

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
-Grounded Witch Twist's initial hitboxes with an amplified SDI multiplier, or just different knockback altogether, so that breaking out of the ladder before it starts because Bayonetta dashed in and 4f UpBd is feasible, and in turn encourages a risk factor for Bayonetta to get her ladders going.
-Sourspot hitboxes at the latter half of ABK so optimal neutral aerial spacing does not risk a conversion into a ladder of death.

There. Two simple changes that give the people fighting Bayonetta a sense of relief that they are playing neutral correctly, without compromising the overall power of Bayonetta's combo ability, only forcing her to take slightly more commitment with a jump, or getting closer with ABK in the neutral game. That was easy.
That actually makes more sense than my idea. Compromise is fun! Additionally just playing carefully against bayonetta currently is not enough with her ridiculously easy combo conversions, playing carefully is all well and good but if bayonetta can net 60% off a single conversion and kill you with the second you have almost no room for error. To beat you a bayo player only has to play well, to beat a bayo player you have to play nearly perfectly!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom