• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
After reading this topic for the past couple days and facepalming at the usual hasty judgments, in this case about Cloud not being that great, I'm almost enjoying how in the end it's a pocket Cloud that takes the biggest tournament of the year so far when absolutely nothing else works. And if that didn't happen, EVO would likely have proven otherwise.

Will anything be learned from this?

no
I'm concerned about that.

paperchao

Smash Apprentice
NNID
paperchao
If anything, I think that this tourney will accelerate anti cloud labbing from top players, they don't want to just lose to a Pocket cloud.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
"Stop complaining about Cloud, he never wins anything big"

RIP
You do have to consider that his Cloud wasn't the one that got him to GF. Cloud was what sealed the win.

It makes me wonder if Cloud is more effective as a pocket than a main. Cloud mains struggle while pocket Clouds succeed. It's possible that Cloud is an effective pocket for those long endurance matches too, because he is so easy to pick up and do damage with, considering that Zinoto had to be exhausted by the time GFs happened, I don't think he was mentally or physically prepared to be piledrived.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Marth has that power at range because he needs to be rewarded for proper spacing. It's funny because a common complaint of Marth pre-buff was that he wasn't rewarded for playing his game. Gasp are you upset that Marth actually gets properly rewarded for executing his gameplan? For the matter, why don't we complain about Ike because he also has long disjoint with equal power on his most important moves (fair, bair, up air), moves that are also safe when spaced and difficult to contest?

Who tf cares if nerfing everyone above Marth or buffing him himself would make him problematic? Why are we worrying about some imaginary scenario that most probably won't become a reality?

Edit: actually I think we might be getting b8ed.
It should be a testament to how poorly thought out Marth is that it just didn't work at all before the buffs. (Conversely, Ike's gameplan is fine even though he sucked because he just had a lot of disfunctional tools.)

A well-designed character doesn't rely on one single move or aspect. Marth clearly does.

Who cares? Uh, everybody? People are already complaining about Bowser, Lucario and Mewtwo. Honestly with how bad this thread is I'm shocked nobody's said anything sooner.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I dunno. People were freaking out about Mewtwo after Pound and he's just kind of floated around since. I'm going to see how the rest of the summer plays out before designating Cloud as our new oppressive overlord.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
I personally don't think it had to do with Cloud being just that good; it had more to do with the intensity of GFs and suddenly WHAM! Cloud. More than likely he couldn't shift gears fast enough, not necessarily that Cloud was that much better.

Basically, it was the shift, not the character himself. At least in my opinion. I'm curious to see if this will be the case at EVO.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
A well-designed character doesn't rely on one single move or aspect. Marth clearly does.
Single aspect?
Are you considering tippers or having "Hits hard, difficult to challenge directly, usually kills, safe when spaced and punishable on whiff" type moves a single aspect? Because either way, this whole thing is just lol

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
the only instance of cloud in the entirety of CEO top 16 was ANTi in set 2 of Grand Finals. nerf him right now sakurai what are you waiting for

Last edited:

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
It should be a testament to how poorly thought out Marth is that it just didn't work at all before the buffs. (Conversely, Ike's gameplan is fine even though he sucked because he just had a lot of disfunctional tools.)

Who cares? Uh, everybody? People are already complaining about Bowser, Lucario and Mewtwo. Honestly with how bad this thread is I'm shocked nobody's said anything sooner.
This is the first time I see someone legit mad at Marth for being too good/oppressive, really. No one brought it up sooner? You know why? Because not "everybody" cares about the imaginary scenario in which Marth becomes overpowered.

Marth doesn't rely on one move. Have you ever watched Pugwest, Leo, Mr. E, and False? There's SH fair, RAR bair, jab, up air, nair, side b, f tilt and dtilt. That's a total of 9 moves that Marth uses commonly, a little less than half his moveset. I may have even missed one or two others. I suggest you actually educate yourself before complaining about a character. Most characters are centered on a certain playstyle, it's not something unique to Marth. He plays a spacing oriented neutral and his damage game relies on option coverage rather than true combos. The characters who can adopt different play styles with relatively equal effectiveness are mostly top tiers, eg. Sheik can opt to play campy and defensive or aggressive rushdown, Cloud can play campy and defensive or pressure his opponents with spacing tools.

If you want to make complaints towards a character credible, you better give strong evidence. Marth having to "rely on one single move" holds no water because it's objectively wrong and anyone who has ever watched Smash 4 Marth play knows that. And if Marth being centered on one aspect gives you reason to complain, then there are a lot more characters in that boat.

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534

There is no objective measure of what "good design" is.

From a viability perspective, Marth does not need to be changed.

As far as this thread goes, that's all that needs to be said about his design.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
I find it hilarious that even though his best players (Leo, Tyrant, Ito) weren't in attendance, we ended up seeing MK play in top 16 by players who don't even main him. Lol.

MK's sole purpose in this game is to run trains all over Rosalina.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I think Sheik is his only DEBATABLY bad matchup but did you see the fact that a Pocket Cloud won?
Every time a top dedicated Cloud faced a top dedicated Sheik the Sheik won. How is there a debate? Cloud only got that far because Anti's Mario cleared out all the Sheiks. Mario did most of the work. We very blatantly have a counterpick meta. Most every high tier had one or two MUs where they struggled in. No one character dominated by themselves.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Holy hell, this is melodramatic (intentionally I'm sure) but if I could physically turn these words into bricks, I'd make myself a house and live in it. Every major is a new apocalypse as of late and it's just so entertaining. Makes me happy hardly anyone takes :4villager:
:4wiifit: all that seriously.
Actually, as a Bowser Jr. main, I have some choice words about Villager.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I dunno. People were freaking out about Mewtwo after Pound and he's just kind of floated around since. I'm going to see how the rest of the summer plays out before designating Cloud as our new oppressive overlord.
Floated around? lol. Mewtwo got 4th today at CEO, which I'll remind you had 907 entrants.

If anything, after POUND Mewtwo has secured his place as a top tier character IMO.

:150:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
I like how nobody has not said a peep about :4olimar: even though he might be the reason Dabuz got 3rd in the first place.

Edit: Also :4tlink: s Preformence this weekend

Last edited:

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.

So in your eyes Marth relies off of edge guarding, a tipper, or uthrow I'm assuming. Whereas Pit relies on fthrow, edge guarding, a smash attack or side b, maybe a tipper ftilt kill (gasp even pit has one). Geeeeeeeee.... huge difference, huh?
Pit's badly designed and boring he relies on the same methods of killing.

I obviously don't think that, but do you see how ridiculous that is? Are you suddenly not going to use your kill options because someone thinks they're boring? Tippers are necessary for Marth's design. He has to space out for the tipper because he's not safe if he doesn't. And tippers aren't exactly exclusive to Marth anyway. Sheik fair has a tipper like hitbox, Pit ftilt, Link dash attack etc. Why would you not utilize your sweet spots? Why should Marth not be rewards for playing properly, especially when it's not exactly the easiest thing to do with Marth anyway? And the people that still complain about Mewtwo or Bowser are crazy too.
This chat could really use a big dose of 'git gud'

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
Big winners at CEO
:4mario::4tlink::4bowserjr::4robinf::4mewtwo::4palutena::4olimar::4bayonetta:

Slight winners
:4pacman::4peach::4dk::4ness::4wario::4samus::4marth::4megaman:

Poor Preformeces
:4zss::4greninja::4corrin::4villager::4pit::4yoshi::4myfriends::4wiifit:

Edit: Maybe I should take corrin out because he/she did beat Ally but......
Also MK is weird to decide. On one hand, Leo, Tyrant, and Ito didn't attend, yet he saw notable usage in top 16 and took 2 games. I think he should be in the slight winners part. But then again, none of his best players were there so it might be best to not include him at all. And lastly, Aba did poorly with him so you could justify him in poor performances.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
On another note, Dabuz used Olimar a lot at CEO. I like it, but I think it also reaffirms the idea that the game has a counterpick meta. Having a character to switch to can pull you out of a tough set, even if it's a not so good character like Olimar.

In this way, many mid tier or lower characters may still have a niche as a surprise counterpick. Anti almost lost to Olimar as Mario, I don't think he really had a great grasp on that matchup. How many players know the Olimar matchup?

Also this means that Dabuz can put his money where his mouth is. He has called other top Olimar players bad in the past, and today he was using some of the tools he mentioned they largely ignore.

Edit: Pocket Meta Knights don't really work. Never did, really. They got some games, but that's it.

Last edited:

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
On another note, Dabuz used Olimar a lot at CEO. I like it, but I think it also reaffirms the idea that the game has a counterpick meta. Having a character to switch to can pull you out of a tough set, even if it's a not so good character like Olimar.

In this way, many mid tier or lower characters may still have a niche as a surprise counterpick. Anti almost lost to Olimar as Mario, I don't think he really had a great grasp on that matchup. How many players know the Olimar matchup?

Also this means that Dabuz can put his money where his mouth is. He has called other top Olimar players bad in the past, and today he was using some of the tools he mentioned they largely ignore.

Edit: Pocket Meta Knights don't really work. Never did, really. They got some games, but that's it.
True, MK is a difficult character to use. But the fact that pocket MK's managed to take games off of a Rosalina of Dabuz's calibre and forced him onto a secondary at least shows that MK has some use as CP character (especially since Cloud vs Rosa is being reevaluated).

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
How can Greninja even qualify for this when literally none of his top players where there?

Like, the best greninja there was like Ice Arrow lol.

Outside of Ice Arrow, there really weren't any notable ninjas. Only four were really active this weekend:
  • iStudying - 2nd @ GGWP 8: Preperations (lost to S1-14 in WF/GF)
  • Eddy - 3rd @ GGWP 8
  • Shinjoebi - 2nd @ Push More Buttons (lost to Ned in WF/GF)
  • Elexiao - 3rd (can't recall tournament name)
The rest of the notable Greninjas (Venia, Illusion, Gibus, etc) weren't active this weekend, from what I recall.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Outside of Ice Arrow, there really weren't any notable ninjas. Only two were really active this weekend:
  • iStudying - 2nd @ GGWP 8: Preperations (lost to S1-14 in WF/GF)
  • Shinjoebi - 2nd @ Push More Buttons (lost to Ned in WF/GF)
The rest of the notable Greninjas (Venia, Illusion, Gibus, etc) weren't active this weekend, from what I recall.
Don't forget Eddy got 3rd at GGWP too.

Also Elexiao got 3rd at some tournament in England iirc. I forget the name.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Floated around? lol. Mewtwo got 4th today at CEO, which I'll remind you had 907 entrants.

If anything, after POUND Mewtwo has secured his place as a top tier character IMO.

It has but people aren't tripping over themselves to pick up Mewtwo and Mewtwo isn't mindlessly ripping tournaments apart. I kind of put him in the same boat as Ryu: definitely a strong character but with definite flaws and is unlikely to explode in popularity anytime soon. Both are top ten for sure.

Ninety

Smash Journeyman
Greninja actually got some really good overall results this weekend, excluding CEO. And it's me saying that.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
User was warned for this post
Ryu really isn't that good. I'm not just saying that because Trela under performed. Like, I don't think he's even top 10.

I also wanna say Cloud had a poor showing at CEO (aside from the obvious) but that's already been addressed. Counterpick meta is live.

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Question time, with CEO under the books:

What character is completely solo-viable at this current point in time?

Honestly I'm not fully certain there are any. Seems like every top tier has a bad matchup with someone.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Sheik is fine the way she is, imo. The way they've changed her makes her more true to her archetype while keeping her top tier. Isn't that ideal? Slowing her down and giving her more power needlessly homogenizes the character. (Also you could just play Greninja if you want that kek).

Last edited:

Ninety

Smash Journeyman

Honestly I'm not fully certain there are any. Seems like every top tier has a bad matchup with someone.
Well, yeah? If your criteria for solo viability is "No losing matchups", then by definition only one character will qualify. Not winning every matchup doesn't mean a character isn't solo viable. Zinoto damn near took it with solo Diddy.

Quantumpen

Smash Apprentice
Diddy and Rosa are solo viable for sure (Metaknight isn't a good match-up but it's 6-4 at worst.) Cloud probably is, Sheik probably is, Fox probably is, Mario probably is.

I think Mewtwo is, but everyone's gonna scream that he loses to diddy 7-3 or something, even though it's not true. Aba needs more Diddy practice. He doesn't even punish Diddy's up-b with nair -_-.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

:4mewtwo:?

Add in: Because someone brought up Rosalina, Dabuz also comes in here every once and a while and insists that she isn't solo viable but I don't think he's ever fully elaborated on his opinions.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Anti used his Cloud in Grand Finals, but also notice that he ONLY used it in Grand Finals in the Top 8.

Want to know why Anti's Mario had trouble vs. Zinoto? Because Zinoto's training partner is ALLY.

Being singularly focused on one quality isn't a bad design, so this talk of Marth being too one-note is kind of ridiculous. "All he has to do is space properly the entire match."

I actually love to participate in buff and nerf talks, but only when people aren't being super salty about it. Like what, now people are claiming Mewtwo shouldn't have kill throws, which is supposed to be one of its defining characteristics?

Like, here's what I'd say is the difference between fun and productive buff/nerf talk and whiny buff/nerf talk:

Fun: "Sonic is really good at running away, but maybe should be punished more for when he makes the wrong choice."
Whiny: "Sonic is dumb and runs away too much and it's not fair."

That's just my opinion, of course.

Actually, what I think is happening is 1) the standard complaining that happens whenever anyone wins a major (I bet if Pac-Man won a major people would be up in arms about how unfair his hydrant setups are) and 2) because CEO 2016 was upset city people have nothing familiar to latch onto, so they're pawing at anything to try and make sense of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom