• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

T4ylor

Smash Journeyman
This Greninja is amazing. I knew he was good, but this.. Wow.

The entire set versus Esam is an Oddshot.

Edit: And iStudying takes the set over Esam!

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
That's it. He beat ESAM. Holy ****, no words. Greninja in Grand Finals at a Major.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
User was warned for this post
Holy ****ing ****. Greninja in grand finals at a major having beaten the best PIkachu in the world.

Don't think I even need to say anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Oh my God I'm not looking forward to the "GRENINJA IS TOP TIER OH MY GOD" discussion that is going to result from this performance. Still though, mad props to istudying. And I'm very excited to read Y2Kay Y2Kay reaction when he gets on, haha.

Edit: listening to commentary whenever an uncommon character is on screen is painful.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Inb4 everyone bandwagon praises Greninja. He's always been good. Noone in America plays him because he's not easy. This has always been the case. That said, good **** to iStudying. He tore through losers like a champ. Some great footage from BEAST 6.

Last edited:

Flux0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flux0r
I'm already worried for the Greninja - Sheik MU, but considering how insane iStudying has been playing now, i wouldn't be suprised if he wins this.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Oh my God I'm not looking forward to the "GRENINJA IS TOP TIER OH MY GOD" discussion that is going to result from this performance. Still though, mad props to istudying. And I'm very excited to read Y2Kay Y2Kay reaction when he gets on, haha.
Top tier? No(t yet). Viable, like we've been saying for months? Hell ****ing yes. And it's about time people realised it. I cannot wait to enjoy it.

Also finding it funny that a Greninja of all characters obliterated the USA from this tournament.

Djent

Smash Champion
My fantasy bracket is in shreds, and I'm not even mad.

Interesting how iStudying lost early to Light, then tore through a :4sheik:-less losers bracket. The prophecy remains true, I guess?

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Guys, make sure you're being careful of yellow topics.
Tournament Hype
  • "Wow, Reggie beats Bill 3-1."
  • "That dair spike! If she had just buffered that ledge option..."
  • "I can't believe he is sticking with Rosalina after that match."
Anyway, I feel like that set demonstrated one of Pikachu's biggest flaws as a character, which is that it's very hard for him to find kills. A lot of the damage istudying was getting were (very solid) punishes from Esam over-extending. Heck, the set ended with him up smashing istudying's shield. I wonder if things would have gone different if ESAM had played more patiently or if istudying still would have found the kills first.

Nexus Nova

Smash Rookie
Damn, those combos, timing and ability to read the opponents moves.
iStudying plays Greninja like a pro.

More research must be conducted for Greninja.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Btw, anybody who knows him personally will attest that above all istudy is one of the most awesome persons in the smash community. He entirely deserves every bit of his success.

:059:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
iStudying beat MVD 3-1.

Intense set but the writing's on the wall for the rest of the tourney barring an upset. Nonetheless, Greninja Top 3 in a low-key Major? Pretty great for the character's future.
Yeah for sure. I'm pretty sure 2nd at a major, low-key or not, is better than anything almost all of the mid tiers above Greninja have done.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
User was warned for this post
Dear Smash Community,

First of all, how are you doing today? I'm doing wonderful! I come with grave news, however. Greninja has gotten top 8 at a national, how unfortunate! To add on, He's beaten your beloved MVD and ESAM! All the days you Greninja had no results has finally come to an end! Granted, this has never been true, but facts aren't really your strongsuit :p . At first, when you said that, you looked stupid in front of greninja mains. But now, you look REALLY stupid in front of EVERYONE. It's sucks, I know.

SHUTUP PLEASE

Sincerely,
The Village Hidden in the Pond ◥ θ┴θ◤​

ON ANOTHER NOTE!
ESAM has always been a really big greninja hater.I even got into him about it on stream. He swore up and down that, and I quote, "Greninja is a ****ty and mediocre character" He said wanting to win tournaments with Greninja was unrealistic.

LET'S ALL LAUGH AT HIS TIER LIST TOGETHER!

CUeb4qfWoAEIuV0.png

ROFL ESAM!

:150:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I remember when people said Greninja depended on foot stool combos to rack up damage......

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Ah I expected better than that, guy. No one wants to read weird call outs against people who don't even read Smashboards. But honestly I can't say I wouldn't be feeling a little smug right now if I was a Greninja main.

Also wow, the Sheik - Greninja matchup is dire.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Sheik is to Greninja what Rosalina is to Ness and I think this tournament just further proves this notion.

It's a really bad MU and it's all that keeps him from having more success, sadly.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Dear Smash Community,

First of all, how are you doing today? I'm doing wonderful! I come with grave news, however. Greninja has gotten top 8 at a national, how unfortunate! To add on, He's beaten your beloved MVD and ESAM! All the days you Greninja had no results has finally come to an end! Granted, this has never been true, but facts aren't really your strongsuit :p . At first, when you said that, you looked stupid in front of greninja mains. But now, you look REALLY stupid in front of EVERYONE. It's sucks, I know.

SHUTUP PLEASE

Sincerely,

ON ANOTHER NOTE!
ESAM has always been a really big greninja hater.I even got into him about it on stream. He swore up and down that, and I quote, "Greninja is a ****ty and mediocre character" He said wanting to win tournaments with Greninja was unrealistic.

View attachment 98066

ROFL ESAM!

C'mon man, you're better than that, especially after how good a sport ESAM was.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Sheik MU is truly dire.

But hey, 2nd at a major with a win over ESAM. I'll take it.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
You don't know pain until you try to beat sheik with Greninja

I had to pick up Lucario just so wouldn't get bodied.....

Zelder Zelder I've got more where that came from ;)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Dear Smash Community,

SHUTUP PLEASE

Sincerely,

ON ANOTHER NOTE!

View attachment 98066

ROFL ESAM!

Joke or not, this pretentious post is unnecessary.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
iStudying blew up this tournament holy crap. I was satisfied with Top 8. I really was. But then he did the thing and knocked out ESAM, MVD and Sodrek getting 2nd! I am so glad that I got to witness some of this great run.

Sheik tho :/

Also worth noting that MaXy got 33rd with Zelda at this tournament and Eddy also showed up with his Greninja and got 25th! B.E.A.S.T. 6 was awesome.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
So this is obviously going to be a weird question in light of Greninja's amazing second place finish, but is Greninja actually viable?His tournament life seems entirely dependent on not running into any Sheiks on the way up through bracket (from what I understand, Light was the one who put him in the loser bracket in the first place). With Sheik being the most popular character by far, how realistically can we expect Greninja mains to luck out and avoid Sheiks on the come up?

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
In addition to the bad matchup, Mr. R also seemed to respond correctly to iStudying's strings and set-ups, consistently picking options that let him reset to neutral instead of airdodging and dying. There was a definite difference between how well Mr. R understood the matchup and how well ESAM and MVD did, which makes sense since they play all the time while NA lacks a top level Greninja rep. Hopefully we see an NA Greninja reach the level of iStudying and Some eventually.

That said, is Sheik just harder to combo for Greninja in general? There were a lot of set-ups iStudying got on ESAM that looked like it should have worked on Mr. R, but didn't.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
greninja's damage is absurd. you can never count him out of a match. i've posted that at least twice in these threads and nobody wanted to believe.

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
So this is obviously going to be a weird question in light of Greninja's amazing second place finish, but is Greninja actually viable?His tournament life seems entirely dependent on not running into any Sheiks on the way up through bracket (from what I understand, Light was the one who put him in the loser bracket in the first place). With Sheik being the most popular character by far, how realistically can we expect Greninja mains to luck out and avoid Sheiks on the come up?
Greninja isn't solo-viable while Sheik exists. At best, he is near top of mid tier.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
That said, is Sheik just harder to combo for Greninja in general? There were a lot of set-ups iStudying got on ESAM that looked like it should have worked on Mr. R, but didn't.
Not particularly. Bouncing Fish makes it harder to get certain strings like U-throw --> U-air and such, but in this case most of the percents didn't line up correctly for stuff to true combo. Mr. R was at too high percent for U-tilt to u-air to combo at that one time that U-tilt connected and at too low percent for D-tilt -> F-air to confirm on multiple occasions.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
He's in a Ness-like situation only worse because Sheik is way more common than Rosalina, I can't really tell what that means for him myself.

Greninja is a character that's so close yet so far. There's only one thing holding back like that and it happens to be the worst thing that could possibly hold him back. Everything else is perfectly manageable.

I'm glad iStudying managed to bring him into the spotlight, he really showed the best and also worst things about the character in his crazy losers run

Last edited:

Luig

Confused
Also how good Sheik's up b is

Sorry if I sound a bit salty, but For how far it goes, it shouldn't have that much intangibility and kill power...

Nemesis561

Smash Apprentice
Dude What is this crap.. You character loyalists are really annoying.

Anyways props to istudying seems like a great guy. You could tell how much it meant to him he was crying after beating esam
Dear Smash Community,

SHUTUP PLEASE

Sincerely,

ON ANOTHER NOTE!
ESAM has always been a really big greninja hater.I even got into him about it on stream. He swore up and down that, and I quote, "Greninja is a sh*tty and mediocre character" He said wanting to win tournaments with Greninja was unrealistic.

View attachment 98066

ROFL ESAM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom