• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I cannot relate to this discussion at all as a Ryu main.

When I run off after someone I don't even care if I kill them. They are going to take a clean 12% minimum if I hit them with pretty much any aerial, except nair. That level of damage is too tasty to ignore.
This is actually a really important point.

Even if your edgeguarding doesn't KO them outright, they'll still often be taking a non-negligible chunk of damage, in addition to the stage control/ledge exploitation afterwards.

It seems a bit silly to not even attempt to hit them pre-ledge grab.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
The only time I can justify not going off to get the *FREE* damage is when playing against Dabuz. Even ZeRo's Diddy should be hit while offstage.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I wonder if/when "recovering high" will become an art.
Recovering high would be much easier if the average landing lag on recovery moves wasn't 30 frames. Doesn't need to be as low as Melee's Fire Bird and Fire Fox with their 6-ish landing frames, but 20 and below would be much better.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Recovering high would be much easier if the average landing lag on recovery moves wasn't 30 frames. Doesn't need to be as low as Melee's Fire Bird and Fire Fox with their 6-ish landing frames, but 20 and below would be much better.
Teleporters (M2, Zelda, Palutena, Sheik) can probably do it if they teleport cancel properly on platform stages.

Some like Bowser can never do it though since he has 50 landing lag frames for his up B for some reason.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Teleporters (M2, Zelda, Palutena, Sheik) can probably do it if they teleport cancel properly on platform stages.

Some like Bowser can never do it though since he has 50 landing lag frames for his up B for some reason.
I know, but I said that the average was 30. There's only a handful of characters who have below 30 landing lag on their recovery moves off the bat: Falco's Fire Bird has 19, Fox's has 20?, Lucina and Marth's Dolphin Slash have 20 if I recall correctly, Ryu's has something like 12 or 15 for Shoryuken, and I think both Sheik and ZSS have one of their moves in the 20 range. Everyone else has 30 landing frames with some, as you said, like Bowser having +50. Lucario and Luigi for one, have +60 on their Up Specials. Yeah, a full second to punish them.

If the average landing lag on recovery moves was at least 20 or better yet, around 15 frames, then there would be a lot more people recovering onto the stage and perhaps more interesting off-stage play since it wouldn't mostly be go to the ledge, the sanctuary of every character. Part of me would even say that grabbing the ledge shouldn't grant as much invincibility if recovery move landing lag wasn't as high.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Generous as in...you think Ryu loses all those or wins?

Just as a character he is not really invalidated by many and his niche role as a comeback king is always a factor. Alot of those evens Ryu does lose neutral, sometimes barely but when you compare the ability to end a stock its not even close.

At the same time, who do his tools allow him to invalidate? He beats chars that are flawed or simply have a very hard time with utilt locks. That's about it. The specific limitations on him make it so he cannot swarm you to death like other top tiers. He has no set-play that will win matches vs lower tiers and he has to work hard vs anyone with a strong mid range game.

I think my MU list is pretty darn realistic tbh.

Last edited:

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman

Just as a character he is not really invalidated by many and his niche role as a comeback king is always a factor. Alot of those evens Ryu does lose neutral, sometimes barely but when you compare the ability to end a stock its not even close.
I think Ryu definitely loses to ZSS. ZSS has incredible mobility and several long range tools to completely zone Ryu out. She can dash grab grounded focus attacks on reaction (even if you dash back, you still get caught) and between up Smash and up B, aerial focus attacks aren't an issue for her either. Her edge guarding capabilities are also really good versus Ryu. Ryu's ability to "end a stock" early is heavily dependent on the opponent making a huge mistake. ZSS has no reason to ever be near enough Ryu for that to happen. He simply can't catch her or lock her down consistently if she chooses to zone.

Mario is another matchup I think he loses you listed as even. When you look at their punish games, Mario definitely wins (Ryu's extended combos don't work on him but Mario can still rack up damage really fast). Offstage Ryu has to worry about FLUDD and then potentially capes which can be done versus Tatsus on reaction. In juggle/aerial situations Mario has his fast up B to break focus on reaction. In neutral Mario while not the best at it, can definitely wall Ryu out with bairs and FLUDD. In other words I don't see any aspect of the matchup where Ryu wins aside from potential kill power.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lol@you people completely validating me in my thought process that Ryu is overrated.

Anyways, if Mario capes tatsu, Ryu can actually do it again but it depends on when he catches the tatsu. FLUDD is def a thing.

Thing is Mario does want to hurt Ryu and Ryu can counter poke him pretty consistently. It's not hard. Almost any button Ryu has will trump Mario. So Mario is taking risks to get damage. Ryu is taking less risks for less damage. Ryu can def srk out of anything that isnt a uair string. Mario gets real damage at low percents. Damage that Ryu can surpass with literally 3 hits with anything that isnt a light tilt or nair. At higher percents Mario loses his combos while Ryu's remain consistent.

You talk alot about advantage when it comes to Mario. Mario has to get in first. That is the danger.

ZSS prolly wins slightly. idk.

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Can you go a bit more into the Bowser matchup? I would've thought it'd be a bit closer to even than that, even with how much up-tilt destroys him. Just curious, really.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ryu wants to do the same stuff. Play the midrange and poke. He just hits way harder and generally a punish means death. Basically Bowser has to be perfect and Ryu invalidates his weight. Then there are other things like how Bowser can't ever land, so a land trap is basically a free utilt lock. Which really really sucks.

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
lol@you people completely validating me in my thought process that Ryu is overrated.

Anyways, if Mario capes tatsu, Ryu can actually do it again but it depends on when he catches the tatsu. FLUDD is def a thing.

Thing is Mario does want to hurt Ryu and Ryu can counter poke him pretty consistently. It's not hard. Almost any button Ryu has will trump Mario. So Mario is taking risks to get damage. Ryu is taking less risks for less damage. Ryu can def srk out of anything that isnt a uair string. Mario gets real damage at low percents. Damage that Ryu can surpass with literally 3 hits with anything that isnt a light tilt or nair. At higher percents Mario loses his combos while Ryu's remain consistent.

You talk alot about advantage when it comes to Mario. Mario has to get in first. That is the danger.

ZSS prolly wins slightly. idk.
Fair enough.

And yeah I'm aware you can Tatsu again after a cape but that takes a while and by then you'll probably be too low to recover anyway (unless he caped a high Tatsu intitially). Or at the very least, you'll be forced to recover in a very predictable spot.

I'm interested in your thoughts on Little Mac.

You list the match as even but it's arguabley worse for Ryu. Unlike other characters Ryu is forced to constantly play near Little Mac's danger zones so his superior ground game and frame data really stands out. Ryu's projectile after all is quite laggy. He can't zone with aerials either (no autocancel on fair and bair, nair has no range). So his whiffed zoning aerials get punished heavily by Mac. He has to play direct footsies with Mac which no character really wants to do.

With that said Mac's effectiveness is largely stage dependant so I'd only argue he beats Ryu on FD.

Also what about Rob? Why do you think Ryu loses? His great edge guarding capabilities on Ryu I'm assuming? Because in neutral I would assume Ryu wins. Rob is a big slow target, that's ideal for Ryu. He has projectiles but they aren't the most threatening.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ryu can punish every single thing mac presses with d-smash cept jab and dtilt. Dtilt/jab is safe on block from retaliation but now Mac is close to Ryus danger zone. Ryu doesnt need to jump. Mac vs Ryu is the ground game with Ryu winning the battle of attrition. Macs ground game is designed to blow through you for pressing something. Hit for hit then can trade blows all day and generally Ryu will be on top as he kills much sooner with far less risk.

Legit question do you guys forget how ******** Ryu is on the ground? Frame 5 d-smash? safe on block ftilt thats invincible on his foot and sets up for fair combos?

BTW really a 55/45 is such a small advantage in asterisks it should always read that the stronger player will def win consistently.

Not gonna lie about ROB, it was just my gut telling me that. ROB wins far away but Ryu wins up close by alot generally and has answers to all of ROBs tools. It could be even for sure.

Not going to say this chart is 100% accurate as no chart ever will be I am confident its better then the optimistic tripe from the majority of the Ryu community.

Annnnd..there is no such thing as a truly even match other then dittos anyways. One char will ALWAYS have the slightest of advantages. Ultimately this is just conjecture based on data.

Last edited:

-Tornado-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
I_Beat_You
Ryu can punish every single thing mac presses with d-smash cept jab and dtilt. Dtilt/jab is safe on block from retaliation but now Mac is close to Ryus danger zone. Ryu doesnt need to jump. Mac vs Ryu is the ground game with Ryu winning the battle of attrition. Macs ground game is designed to blow through you for pressing something. Hit for hit then can trade blows all day and generally Ryu will be on top as he kills much sooner with far less risk.

Legit question do you guys forget how ******** Ryu is on the ground? Frame 5 d-smash? safe on block ftilt thats invincible on his foot and sets up for fair combos?

BTW really a 55/45 is such a small advantage in asterisks it should always read that the stronger player will def win consistently.

Not gonna lie about ROB, it was just my gut telling me that. ROB wins far away but Ryu wins up close by alot generally and has answers to all of ROBs tools. It could be even for sure.

Not going say this chart is 100% accurate as no chart ever will be I am confident its better then the optimistic tripe from the majority of the Ryu community.
If you don't mind, could you explain more of the Samus matchup?

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman

Not going say this chart is 100% accurate as no chart ever will be I am confident its better then the optimistic tripe from the majority of the Ryu community.
You said it yourself, good Little Macs are not going to spam Smash attacks in neutral, they are going to go for downtilts tilts and jabs. Though the occasional random Smash attack is decent considering they have super armour and will blow through whatever Ryu is trying to do. After all he can't just sit in block waiting for a punishable move, Mac will break his shield with down angled Smashes.

Soft ftilt is nice but how do you get in an ideal spot to use it versus high mobility characters consistently? Incidentally the move is kind of the same thing as it is in Street Fighter (safe on the foot) making it an effective poke. But in a game with far superior mobility options it becomes limited.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Samus

Controls mid range with Zair, dash grab and dash attack. Similar to ZSS really. Reward on dash attack is real and leads to combos. Grab can too. With Charge shot Ryu loses alot of FADC mobility stuff as they can be punished if he slips up or gets predictable. He has to rely on shielding and taking it slow. This gives her more control. Air to air her buttons just flat out beat his and lead to combos. Fair and Uair can chain into more Uairs. Its rough stuff. Generally when Ryu plays footsies he wants to lead people into his zones and pop them for it. Samus doesnt care. Her hitboxes are simply better on their zoning buttons. This isnt something Ryu is new too. Its par for the course vs swordsman. But unlike swordsman, her buttons with these nice hitboxes lead to damage and stage control.

On the plus side she is vulnerable to sh nair pressure thanks to a slow tether grab and he is much stronger overall and safer on poke range. She has also has a poor roll so she is limited when Ryu in in her face. She has to risk an up b (nice up b btw) or jump back zair. A roll could mean death as Ryu can dash shoryu on reaction.

Edgeguarding she is monstrous. If Ryu tatsus he is usually dead. Free spike. Or Charged shot.

Yo....**** charge shot fam

E EternalFlare

Ftilt from mac is unsafe so yea. Mac is mobile. But what does it get him? He is linear tho very good at what he wants to do. Still if he is limited to only a few safe options and those safe options put his life in danger well that evens up the playing cards doesn't it. Mac HAS to engage in footsies. That is what he is. And if he guess wrongs he will probably get hurt. Ryu is safer but less rewarding unless Mac is very close. Then we factor in Macs recovery and how d-smash has a disjoint which means generally when Mac is forced to side b or up b that is a dead mac.

Last edited:

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
Samus

Controls mid range with Zair, dash grab and dash attack. Similar to ZSS really. Reward on dash attack is real and leads to combos. Grab can too. With Charge shot Ryu loses alot of FADC mobility stuff as they can be punished if he slips up or gets predictable. He has to rely on shielding and taking it slow. This gives her more control. Air to air her buttons just flat out beat his and lead to combos. Fair and Uair can chain into more Uairs. Its rough stuff. Generally when Ryu plays footsies he wants to lead people into his zones and pop them for it. Samus doesnt care. Her hitboxes are simply better on their zoning buttons. This isnt something Ryu is new too. Its par for the course vs swordsman. But unlike swordsman, her buttons with these nice hitboxes lead to damage and stage control.

On the plus side she is vulnerable to sh nair pressure thanks to a slow tether grab and he is much stronger overall and safer on poke range. She has also has a poor roll so she is limited when Ryu in in her face. She has to risk an up b (nice up b btw) or jump back zair. A roll could mean death as Ryu can dash shoryu on reaction.

Edgeguarding she is monstrous. If Ryu tatsus he is usually dead. Free spike. Or Charged shot.

Yo....**** charge shot fam

E EternalFlare

Ftilt from mac is unsafe so yea. Mac is mobile. But what does it get him? He is linear tho very good at what he wants to do. Still if he is limited to only a few safe options and those safe options put his life in danger well that evens up the playing cards doesn't it. Mac HAS to engage in footsies. That is what he is. And if he guess wrongs he will probably get hurt. Ryu is safer but less rewarding unless Mac is very close. Then we factor in Macs recovery and how d-smash has a disjoint which means generally when Mac is forced to side b or up b that is a dead mac.
Yeah I love downSmashing Little Mac's recovery and I used to think it was free. Then I encountered a Little Mac who actually knew how to sweet spot the ledge lol (didn't pop up a hurtbox while doing it). And then it turns out versus that it won't work.

However, the aforementioned extended Tatsu on the ledge might be worth trying out in the matchup, even if it's a trade Mac will be a dead and you'll probably live.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord

At the same time, who do his tools allow him to invalidate? He beats chars that are flawed or simply have a very hard time with utilt locks. That's about it. The specific limitations on him make it so he cannot swarm you to death like other top tiers. He has no set-play that will win matches vs lower tiers and he has to work hard vs anyone with a strong mid range game.

I think my MU list is pretty darn realistic tbh.
I was expecting him to win a lot more of those matchups, but your reasoning makes sense.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Pretty sure you can always catch mac with dsmash just need to adjust your timing.

But yeah that match is just pure footsies and knowing when to press something and when to block.

PK Gaming PK Gaming

Explain how Ryu should win more of these matches. When he gets outpoked by swordsman, out neutraled by other top tiers, no free disadvantage or edgeguarding. No monstrous set play. He has just enough to hold his own plus insane killing power/punishment tools. That's what I see when I look at Ryu.

Yeah I can uppercut a Corrin when I think he is going to Dragon Lunge and I will win clean everytime. But that one time he just short hops as a bait then pivot fsmashes and I die.....feels bad man.

Last edited:

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure you can always catch mac with dsmash just need to adjust your timing.

But yeah that match is just pure footsies and knowing when to press something and when to block.
Hmm maybe, it looked like my timing was fine as it was the same timing I was using against other Little Macs but I could be wrong. Little Mac can also mixup with wall jumps to side Bs if he's close enough, gimping a good Little Mac isn't as free as it sounds.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
When I read this forum there are often, fortunately, a fair number of people who I feel really "get it" and try for an unbiased opinion. Props to Emblem Lord Emblem Lord who once again, "gets it". Really understands the game.
Opinion is not based on prevailing winds, and parroting other opinions.

And then I read other stuff like not trying to edge guard. Which makes me wonder if we're all playing the same game, and I'm not even a pro. Smash 4 has a very deep edge guarding game.
Some characters are "better" at it than others given their particular tools but if it's somehow not a factor in your play, you're missing the boat.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
It quite honestly t r i g g e r s me when people shield at the ledge when Rosa recovers with Up B.

:150:

Last edited:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
It quite honestly t r i g g e r s me when people shield at the ledge when Rosa recovers with Up B.

Rosa can threaten jump up air from a pretty good distance. If you're going for the 2 frame (which is the best overall option) you do have to account for that possibility, at least sometimes.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I wanna go on record and say I I feel Ryu's matches will evolve within a year and these ratios reflect his current meta. There are things that can improve all of his bad match-ups and I think they all have potential to be 45/55 cept prolly MM but even that match has counter play too (MM is pretty free when edgeguarding him) Ryu has many tools to rock Luma and without her Rosa doesnt have much in neutral for Ryu. He can walk her down and press buttons. She has to take a risk. Banana counter play exist for Diddy of course and Ryu doesn't fear dtilt like other chars. Diddy can also be utilt locked for a bit. That fair is a chore to deal with but Ryu does have answers unlike about half the cast. Cloud I think barely wins, but we have seen Venom and Trela do work on Cloud players AND Sonic players. Limitless Cloud gets utilted like his name is Douglas Jay Falcon. Ryu also has direct counter play to full hop dair spam which can lead to death for Cloud.

The struggle is really making those minor adjustments in each match. Seeing which buttons to press and which ones to ignore as well as exploiting holes in the best strats each char has.

Vilager match-up imo has alot of room to grow. Villys fair doesnt even hit till frame 10, while a nair is out on frame 4. So a SH nair would let Ryu close space pretty safely. Fair is frame 6 so a SH fair could let him put some fear into Villy and not press fair so much at mid range. Villy has a bad grab so he is also kinda free to nair into tilt pressure blockstrings. LIoid as a zoning tool is ok but Villy cant block till frame 38. Ryu can reaction dash in grab or even shoryu and aim for LIoid which will extend the hitbox and hurt Villy.

There is alot of stuff. Some stuff I have yet to share. Cuz you know....earn it you lazy bums.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Emblem Lord Emblem Lord
Interested that you now have pacman as even vs ryu instead of pacman having the slight advantage.

May I ask why? I would assume it's because ryu's hitboxes generally beat out pacman's zoning options, so it forces the pacman player to play a risky mid range game. He can keep ryu out for a while and deal good damage when he gets a projectile-aided string...but for how long? Trampolines aren't always reliable (why does he have to be helpless for that long T_T) and fruit/hydrant traps are easy to adapt to after a while.

Having the worst grab in the game doesn't help either.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Pac-man is all about counter play, but what makes it even imo is that he just cant kill. He HAS to guess on stage and a blocked smash means death at high percents. He can edgeguard well tho and doesnt really get gimped so thats awesome. Ryu doesnt really care about hydrant. He can also knock it around. Ryu has also has some sick set-ups with key drop into tilt pressure and Galaga throw into pivot shieldbreak. Those are just a few. And when he has fruit he can still pressure at mid range with Hadoukens and punish hard with Shoryuken if Pac-man messes up. Pac-man is also somewhat vulnerable to nair pressure tho trampoline helps him mitigate this. Pac-man does have solid mid range control however once he gets going.

Feels close to me but calling it 55:45 in pacs favor is ok too.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
The general match-up philosophy with Ryu seems to be, if you have to engage in a straight up fistfight with Ryu, he has an edge. If your character can circumvent that, though, then you're solid.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I think Greninja could have a slight advantage over Ryu. Greninja has great mobility, a strong disjoint, a good projectile game, and nice juggle and anti airs tools.

There's not too much footage of this. There is Some's win over Motsunabe's Ryu, but there is also DarkAura's sweet 3-0 on Venom that's more recent than Some's win.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Emblem Lord Emblem Lord
I'm curious about your thoughts on :4link: and :4tlink: . To me, those MUs are barely even (I see Tink's MU being 50:50 while Link is 55:45 Ryu's favor) because although Ryu doesn't have the best defenses against their items and tethers, his attack speed and power make up for it. I especially hate going against his Fair.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Emblem Lord Emblem Lord
I'm curious about your thoughts on :4link: and :4tlink: . To me, those MUs are barely even (I see Tink's MU being 50:50 while Link is 55:45 Ryu's favor) because although Ryu doesn't have the best defenses against their items and tethers, his attack speed and power make up for it. I especially hate going against his Fair.
If you have a zair you probably go even at worst. Non commital space control that can lead to stuff? Sounds good to me. All of their projectiles do have counter play and its not like their zoning is impenetrable. Link gets utilt locked for sure and in general feels easier to punish and pin down compared to TL. I could see why you give Ryu the edge. TL is a smaller hurtobx, with more mobility, better kill set-ups, with worse range but so what. Overall his zoning is tougher to penetrate as well thanks to slower arrow and how his boomerang works.

Button to button Ryu should lose head on in the spacing battle. He would only win if he stuffed your button press but disjoints beat non-disjoints.

Y2Kay Y2Kay He might. I played really long matches vs Venia months ago and he said he enjoyed playing my Ryu and felt the match was close. I used to think he won for sure till I studied their frame data and saw Ryu can punish everything Greninja does on block except space fair and bair. That includes all his grounded options. Fair is strong but will lose head on to FA which can be death depending on percent.

Seeing Venoms play gets me excited because I see tons of errors and honestly bad choices. Constantly trying to force himself on stage being the biggest one. I cannot wait to see how strong Ryu gets once people optimize him.

People should stop holding out for hidden potential and just start being intelligent. Your opponent blocks a slow shakunetsu so you do a full jump nair which is an easy roll response and now you lose all stage control?

lol. stop.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Y2Kay Y2Kay He might. I played really long matches vs Venia months ago and he said he enjoyed playing my Ryu and felt the match was close. I used to think he won for sure till I studied their frame data and saw Ryu can punish everything Greninja does on block except space fair and bair. That includes all his grounded options. Fair is strong but will lose head on to FA which can be death depending on percent.

Seeing Venoms play gets me excited because I see tons of errors and honestly bad choices. Constantly trying to force himself on stage being the biggest one. I cannot wait to see how strong Ryu gets once people optimize him.

People should stop holding out for hidden potential and just start being intelligent. Your opponent blocks a slow shakunetsu so you do a full jump nair which is an easy roll response and now you lose all stage control?

lol. stop.
Yeah Forward Air being safe is all he really needs. I'm not sure if FA stops spaced Forward Air though. Everytime Veno Focus attacked the move Dark Aura just landed and ran way. I don't know if this is one fo the mistakes you where hinting too though. Greninja's Forward Air has really low landing lag and a large autocancel window. Combined with Gren's speed it's a great move.The move gets him decent reward at low percent, so I'm content with that. Neutral Air can be risky, and is the main mistake I see Greninja's make when fighting Ryu. Ryu's Up Tilt can easily catch bad jump ins and can get you killed. However, I think Ryu does leave some openings where you can squeeze a few of them in.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Fairs main issue is the 16 frames of start-up, but yes overall it is a great tool. It is slightly vulnerable to hadoukens due to that start-up and I would need to test if Ryu's Hutilt can tag it clean as that would give him an option that beats any aerial approach from Greninja, so he would just need to be weary of the empty hop mix-up. I think light SRK as an anti-air is viable in this match however since both fair and nair have long start-up and of course SRK wins clean.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
*plop* Compiled everyone's movement values in Smash 4 (and Brawl). I take no credit in finding any of this data and a monkey could have done what I did which is just copy numbers onto a spreadsheet. So, why? There's plenty of other areas to see movement data after all. The intent was be able to compare and connect numbers we see all the time like air speed, run speed, and walk speed with numbers we don't really see or sometime ignore like air acceleration, dash speed -- remember, dash and run is not the same thing --, and walk acceleration. Also, just to make it kind of easier to see with it all compiled together in a spreadsheet -- this one's subjective... Another thing which some might find pointless: being able to compare with previous games. I just wanted to see what's changed and what's not. Patterns, trends, and whatnot. Set designs too like it's just a Star Fox thing to have a high dash speed even if your run speed is really low or looking at stuff and wondering what the developers were thinking like Brawl Wario's 0.3 air acceleration and Brawl ROB's 0.006 air acceleration. Anyway, hopefully most of it's readable and not confusing -- I should probably make an intro sheet explaining some of the stuff.

Brawl movement value spreadsheet.

Smash 4 movement value spreadsheet.

Anyway, there are some problems. First one: DLC characters and Dr. Mario. They will be the ones with the most information missing. Initial walk speed, walk acceleration, etc. Nobody really bothered to check or write them down... Really wished someone did, since I would like to know Roy and Ryu's walk data. Doc's problem is that his most of his movement values are Mario's, but multiplied by... 0.8? It's something like that and I'm not sure exactly what was and wasn't multiplied such as Doc's air deceleration and traction being the same as Mario's. Also, one thing connected to that is air friction has two values: one for horizontal and one for vertical. Most characters just have the same number, but some have slightly different or even drastically different horizontal and vertical air frictions like Sheik. Because of this, I didn't type down any vertical air frictions for any of the DLC characters. Their horizontal air friction came from a famous frame data site everyone probably knows by now.

The next problem is also missing information: jump data. Smash 4 as far as I know -- should probably dig further -- doesn't seem to have data on jumps. For the most part, it kind of doesn't matter and it's a bit complicated since it's not black and white e.g. fast fallers tend to have really high velocities, but they jump like nowhere. There are, however, important information that I wished was available and it's about how momentum transfers from a jump or the maximum horizontal velocities characters have for their jumps.

Lastly, the formatting and terminology was based on Project Smash Attacks with Charizard, Squirtle, Triple D, and Venusaur's data from Smash Attacks because... well, they're weird. I started off compiling Brawl's movement data and there's one issue shared with Smash 4 from the data I used: dash acceleration and dash deceleration. For whatever reason, they're flipped Smash Attacks and the Smash 4 thread. In PSA, they're listed as "Dash & Run Acceleration A" and "Dash & Run Acceleration B". A is described as "The speed at which a character decelerates during Dash, Run, and Turn Run. Combines with 0x018 [Dash & Run Acceleration B]." B, in turn is described as "The speed at which a character accelerates during Dash, Run, and Turn Run. Combines with 0x014 [Dash & Run Acceleration A]." I did format it as so for both Brawl and Smash 4, but it's weird... So, disclaimer: if I screwed up which I might have, then oopsy doops. Everything else should be fine... I hope.

Also, everyone technically has a wall jump; answer what happens when you tech off a wall. Since there isn't any data for that in Smash 4 and nobody cares about Brawl anymore, then it shouldn't affect anything. :p (I did mark wall jump values for characters who can't normally wall jump with an asterisk)

Brawl: Information directory: http://smashboards.com/threads/brawl-information-compendium-social.266590/.

Most of Brawl's movement data is here: http://smashboards.com/threads/internal-character-mechanics-values.244329/.

In my ignorance, I didn't know either of those existed, so I pulled data by going through the characters themselves with PSA and SA.

Smash 4: Toomai's post for aerial movement: http://smashboards.com/threads/smas...ow-with-raw-real-values.383217/#post-18656263.

Toomai's post for ground movement: http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-4-running-walking-speed-rankings.371564/page-2#post-18647333.
*Quickly compares available stats*

Yyyyyup. Barely more mobile on the ground, actually less so in the air.

Sakurai sure did a great job solving Ganondorf's fundamental problems.

BTW, nice work Ffam.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I was watching this earlier today and I wanted to ask Peach/Metaknight mains, are Metaknight's strings in this match up read based or is it one of those situations where you pray they mess up? I absolutely hate playing against Peach and but this was pretty frustrating to watch. I know there are a number of characters that are wonderfully screwed if they get stuck in Metaknight's upair like Bowser Jr and DK but is Peach one of them? I remember the Metaknight vs Peach match up being miserably skewed in Brawl and this definitely reminded me of those days.

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor

I was watching this earlier today and I wanted to ask Peach/Metaknight mains, are Metaknight's strings in this match up read based or is it one of those situations where you pray they mess up? I absolutely hate playing against Peach and but this was pretty frustrating to watch. I know there are a number of characters that are wonderfully screwed if they get stuck in Metaknight's upair like Bowser Jr and DK but is Peach one of them? I remember the Metaknight vs Peach match up being miserably skewed in Brawl and this definitely reminded me of those days.
Wow, I never new Mario could death combo like that! Nor did I know Abadango played the character. Looks like Mario is a pretty rough match-up for Peach.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
*Quickly compares available stats*

Yyyyyup. Barely more mobile on the ground, actually less so in the air.

Sakurai sure did a great job solving Ganondorf's fundamental problems.

BTW, nice work Ffam.
Ganondorf is supposed to be a slow, plodding character that hits like a truck. Yes, we all know this archetype doesn't work so great in Smash, but at the same time the gap between top and bottom tier has closed considerably since Melee and Brawl.

Sure, Ganondorf is probably low to bottom tier in this game, and sure, I'd love if Ganondorf had better air speed (it'd kind of make sense too, canonically), but you gotta stop complaining about how "awful" the game balance is when your agenda is clearly based on your one chosen character and not the collective roster as a whole.

You know why Ganondorf's fundamental problems will never be entirely solved? Because without them, he's not going to be the type of character that Ganondorf's supposed to be: slow, read-based, heavy damage. They've already done plenty to buff him, like improving landing lag, giving him a quicker jab, etc., but you'll notice that it's all geared towards reinforcing his play style. He can afford to make more reads because his attacks are a bit safer, and jab can get people off if they get a little too close, but he's not going to transform into a Cloud.

On another topic, is the Yoshi vs. Corrin matchup as bad as I think it is? Because poor Yoshi.

Ulevo

Smash Master
User was warned for this post

Peach is screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom