• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Doesn't Corrin have pretty good kill throws? That's always a nice thing to have in throw game.
About same strength as Marth U-throw.

That's not impressive at all, and Marth has actual throw combos, better mobility/range on safe pokes, and an actually amazing recovery. If that's not considered super great, what is Corrin?

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
IMO, Dragon Lunge is an underutilized tool for Kamui.
But yes, is s pretty potent character with great spacing game that is pretty rewarding, but somehow lacking in the big scheme.

EDIT: Wait, what? Kamui doesn't auto-lose to shields WFT.
The Shield damage from (tipper) Fsmash and Dragon Fang Shot are pretty good and kinda threatening.
:196:

Last edited:

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
Any predictions for the metagame at pound?
prediction: zero players in the top 8 will play bayo at all.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
But yes, is s pretty potent character with great spacing game that is pretty rewarding, but somehow lacking in the big scheme.

The Shield damage from (tipper) Fsmash and Dragon Fang Shot are pretty good and kinda threatening.
If F-smash has a shield damage modifier, it's clearly not much at all. It does 16 damage tippered which is not exactly huge. Also Dragon Fang Shot is no less than a full second of commitment uncharged. The problems with that should speak for itself.

In actual practice, I have never encountered real issues with Corrin getting me close to shield break. Corrin is mediocre enough at covering retreats that it's rarely applicable.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Corrin's overrated. And will probably get nerfed again in the upcoming patch (if there is one). I'm betting Side B gets hit this time, probably Nair as well.

Bayo @ Pound... I'm betting 1 high in the top 8, and then another 2-3 in the top 16. Probably a sea of Clouds, Diddys, and ZSSs in the top 16 with a few Sheiks sprinkled in. One Rosalina in the top 8. And then a slew of random high tiers between 32nd to 16th. Except for that one random high tier that makes top 8, because there frequently seems to be one.

Probably a good number of Mewtwos, but I'm thinking at most one showing up in top 16 even as a secondary. Lots in the range just below that though. I think the damage done by making mistakes as Mewtwo throughout such a massive tournament will prevent him from getting farther than that.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Except that Ganon tier grab range, and pretty mediocre throws overall. I think it's understated how big of a weakness that is in neutral. Corrin actually has to work very hard to get people out of shield, especially since tools for covering retreat and roll back are not very consistent.

Plus people need to lab edgeguarding the character more. It realistically is not hard as long as you know what trades with Up-B.
I know right? If you consider yourself a decent player, there is not a single reason why you should ever let Kamui come back. The Up B has mediocre vertical distance and air speed is bad. If that jump is gone Kamui is either dead or chipped at the edge. Also, UpB is slow, so any hitbox at the edge kill it.

Doesn't Corrin have pretty good kill throws? That's always a nice thing to have in throw game.
Those kill throws are very weak compared to other kill throws in the game. They need a lot of rage and a lot of % to kill.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'm sorry I didn't write it correctly.
So "Shield Damage" wasn't the term I was looking for.
But I meant that they're safe enough to constantly keep the opponent guessing. While I've never come close to break a shield either, it can get it as low as about 30%, enough to force opponents to retreat and wait for it to recharge.

I'll agree, though, that Kamui is unable to catch them once they retreat.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I know right? If you consider yourself a decent player, there is not a single reason why you should ever let Kamui come back. The Up B has mediocre vertical distance and air speed is bad. If that jump is gone Kamui is either dead or chipped at the edge. Also, UpB is slow, so any hitbox at the edge kill it.

Those kill throws are very weak compared to other kill throws in the game. They need a lot of rage and a lot of % to kill.
Little known counterpick to Corrin: Dr Mario.

All you need to do as Dr Mario is fish for safe perfect shields and grabs. Pills are very good at interrupting offensive SideB attempts safely. As if Dragon Fang Shot didn't have enough problems, Corrin eats a free Smash from Doc when it's reflected. Dr Mario almost never needs to eat Counter from Corrin given he has low enough landing lag on aerials to literally activate he counter and shield it, on top of the fact he can D-throw F-air Corrin at kill percents, registering a combo on training mode (meaning the only option to avoid it is to airdodge it, at Corrin's weight class).

If that wasn't bad enough, Dr Mario's D-air is an example of a move that not only trades with Corrin Up-B, it will spike Corrin on a trade.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
About same strength as Marth U-throw.
Uthrow kill percents vs ZSS on FD without DI:

:4lucas: 135%
:4corrin: 141%
:4marth: 158%

Plus people need to lab edgeguarding the character more. It realistically is not hard as long as you know what trades with Up-B.
This I completely agree with though. An 18f upB with awkward hitboxes on a character that just dies offstage without a double jump is a pretty substantial drawback. Even moves with horrid range like Wario's Dair can trade, most moves will just beat it outright as long as you aim for the head and don't go near the wings.

I'd maybe even go as far as saying Cloud's recovery is superior due to air speed without needing to commit to bairs and a much faster upB (and Limit), but Corrin has strong magnets while Cloud just hangs there for 14 frames before grabbing the ledge without Limit.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Uthrow kill percents vs ZSS on FD without DI:

:4lucas: 135%
:4corrin: 141%
:4marth: 158%

This I completely agree with though. An 18f upB with awkward hitboxes on a character that just dies offstage without a double jump is a pretty substantial drawback. Even moves with horrid range like Wario's Dair can trade with Corrin's head hitbox, most moves will just beat it outright as long as you aim for the head and don't go near the wings.

I'd maybe even go as far as saying Cloud's recovery is superior due to air speed without needing to commit to bairs and a much faster upB (and Limit), but Corrin has strong magnets while Cloud just hangs there for 14 frames before grabbing the ledge without Limit.
In an actual game, Marth's U-throw may actually kill earlier. Due to much higher bkb rage scaling. I believe it's fair to say they have about the same strength for all practical intents and purposes.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
In an actual game, Marth's U-throw may actually kill earlier. Due to much higher bkb rage scaling. I believe it's fair to say they have about the same strength for all practical intents and purposes.
Corrin's dthrow has both higher BKB and KBK than Marth's Uthrow. So even taking rage into account Corrin should always be killing about 12%+ earlier.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Corrin may be overrated, but she's still a stupid design.

Although they don't have the grab game, they have more usable tools that don't care about shields than everyone else.
At the 1-dimensional level, Corrin is completely busted. When we get past that a bit and see tighter movement from the opponent and power shields, the character starts to struggle. But that (in my opinion) is because the players are still stuck on their 1 dimensional moving wall button presser.
But when the Corrins start accommodating mid+ level game play and truly abuse their strengths... youch.

Corrin right now is somewhat synchronous to Villager.
What's necessary is someone like Ranai coming along. And it's easy to see the huge contrast between him and the rest. Anyone dedicated to Villager can learn how to chain fairs/bairs and be an annoying prick (which is very difficult to deal with if playing sloppily), but most Villagers who are capable of achieving this muscle memory pattern really fall apart to disruption (unexpected movements/power shields/punishing jumps). Ranai is the only Villager we know who disrupts the disruption and/or adjusts their timing dynamically to the opponent.

A Corrin player who breaks that monotony of mindlessly "BUTTON PRESS IN THIS SITUATION THAT USUALLY WORKS" is going to have us go back to ******** about how insanely dumb all their forefront abilities are.
It will probably come, eventually.
This is likely part of the reason many high level players are rating Corrin highly, because anecdotally they've experienced a good player getting that dynamic right albeit briefly, but I doubt you'll be seeing that consistently yet because it's still easier for a good player to adjust to their alternative timings, movements and choices with the generics.

And no.
Please.
Just admit you were wrong.

Last edited:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Any predictions for the metagame at pound?
prediction: zero players in the top 8 will play bayo at all.
When a vast majority of the top talents going to the tournament aren't playing Bayonetta, it's rather likely this will come true.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Corrin's dthrow has both higher BKB and KBK than Marth's Uthrow. So even taking rage into account Corrin should always be killing about 12%+ earlier.
Not quite that simple. Worse angle, damage on last hit (3 vs 4, so if my math is right, 150 kbg on a 3 damage move is more like 112 kbg for a 4 damage move), and finally Marth actually lifts his opponent upwards before he throws.

Let's get something straight. Max Rage Corrin D-throw kills *later* than Marth U-throw when DIed correctly. Too lazy to get exact numbers but I'm getting Marth U-throw to kill around 125% on FD even after DIing towards him, while Corrin D-throw with diagonal away DI, this isn't killing at 130%.

Shaya Shaya okay also tested Corrin U-throw, which as far as I can tell kills like 5% earlier than Marth U-throw under max rage.

And the bigger question is, why would I ever do anything unsafe against Corrin when my win condition is simply edgeguarding him and not dying? For all the ways he can vary timings, only a very small amount of them explicitly beat a refusal to commit to unsafe things, largely in part due to the fact he has Ganon tier grab range.

This isn't Cloud who actually has god tier mobility and followups. Corrin has clear problems actually covering multiple options. If you watch something like Ryo vs Kels, Ryo despite clearly being the superior player has no answer to Sonic as Corrin, when the only thing Sonic needs to do...is just retreat or roll back to avoid getting hit. He wins that set bringing back his Ike.

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
A Corrin player who breaks that monotony of mindlessly "BUTTON PRESS IN THIS SITUATION THAT USUALLY WORKS" is going to have us go back to ******** about how insanely dumb all their forefront abilities are.
It will probably come, eventually.
Topical because it also pertains to Pit's decline: Earth seems to be adapting quickly to Corrin and is (mostly) maining her now. He should be at Karisuma this Sunday (JP time). I'm not sure if it's getting streamed but the matches should be uploaded to YouTube regardless.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Not seeing this "no niche for the Pits" thing. Especially back on 1.0 when he was the only good swordsman besides Toon Link.

You really need to look at what's there... Cloud and Corrin don't have outright better frame data and range. If you think otherwise you need your eyes checked, and even then the chances of both of them escaping next patch untouched are slim. Pit lives the longest out of any swordsman besides maybe Link and DDD if you count him, and he's the only swordsman who can actually afford to make a mistake and not eat 20% or lose a stock on an early mistake. He's above and beyond the most consistent swordsman, and possibly the most consistent character period after the Sheik nerfs. He's so darned consistent you can't even perfect shield his safest aerials.

To reiterate, arrows are a huuuuge deal. Like, it's kinda mind-blowing people just write them off like they do. You need to react to arrows 100% of the time if you want to avoid them. Many of our tournament threats can't afford to even get hit by them. Fox and Diddy for example are as good as dead if they get hit out of their side Bs, which isn't hard between the disjoints and arrows. Cloud, Corrin, Ness, Mario, Falcon and a bunch more are always at risk of losing their second jump just because arrows exist, and again there's a good chance they'll be dead if they lose 'em. Arrows I think give Pit the best edgeguarding in the game themselves, never mind that he has Fair, Dair and Bair combined with one of the longest reaching recoveries and his Dsmash.

I mean, I could go on for a while here.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Can someone explain to me what makes Kamui a top 20 character?
Can convert into high damage combos from stray hits (ie: Nair, Fair), Side B, decent matchup spread against relevant characters, Side B, solid tournament results so far, good at KOing.

Top 20 is a given.

I feel like DL is an overused tool actually, haha. There are too many Corrin players who rely on it as a crutch.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
And the bigger question is, why would I ever do anything unsafe against Corrin when my win condition is simply edgeguarding him and not dying? For all the ways he can vary timings, only a very small amount of them explicitly beat a refusal to commit to unsafe things.

This isn't Cloud who actually has god tier mobility and followups. Corrin has clear problems actually covering multiple options.
Yet somehow interactions happen. And you have it the wrong way around.
Corrin is the character who's asking everyone else in the game about how they explicitly beat a refusal to commit to unsafe things.

And I don't understand your conclusion of how they have problems covering multiple options.
Yes, an immediate 1 dimensional "oh they rolled away from me, my side-b whiffed them and not even my forward smash could've reached if I tried that instead! I guess this character can't cover options"
That was part of my point of what Corrins are eventually going to get over.

Her follow ups are pretty tame due to the mobility, but the moves themselves are fantastic.
Nair, Fair, all of the tilts - she has better follow up abilities than most.
Not every character requires a dthrow [x]air from 0-80% or top 5 mobility specs.

Can convert into high damage combos from stray hits (ie: Nair, Fair), Side B, decent matchup spread against relevant characters, Side B, solid tournament results so far, good at KOing.

Top 20 is a given.

I feel like DL is an overused tool actually, haha. There are a lot of Corrin players who rely on it as a crutch.
I think you forgot to mention side-b.

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
Corrin may be overrated, but she's still a stupid design.

Although they don't have the grab game, they have more usable tools that don't care about shields than everyone else.
Sounds like a good design to me.
I don't really understand your whole point. Corrin is pretty slightly above average with unique tools. Thats a good think. There is nothing busted about it at all.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yet somehow interactions happen. And you have it the wrong way around.
Corrin is the character who's asking everyone else in the game about how they explicitly beat a refusal to commit to unsafe things.

And I don't understand your conclusion of how they have problems covering multiple options.
Yes, an immediate 1 dimensional "oh they rolled away from me, my side-b whiffed them and not even my forward smash could've reached if I tried that instead!"
That was part of my point of what Corrins are eventually going to get over.

Her follow ups are pretty tame due to the mobility, but the moves themselves are fantastic.
Nair, Fair, all of the tilts - she has better follow up abilities than most.
Not every characters requires a dthrow [x]air from 0-80% or top 5 mobility specs.

I think you forgot to mention side-b.
Corrin isn't breaking my shield, and furthermore dies offstage much more easily than over half the cast. If you're going to argue dynamic interactions somehow lean towards someone's favor, how does this actually lead to Corrin's favor? All I need is to confirm punishable spacing after perfect shielding and put Corrin offstage and know my edgeguard options. This is trivial to accomplish from dynamic interaction.

Also worth noting as Smash 4 is a fairly mixup oriented game, a lot of the best characters have really good negative states. Cloud managing to be an exception because...he's beyond insane at neutral and regular followups. Corrin's negative state is clearly not very good, and while the character does have very good aerials, has to make very non-trivial reads (if they're even available) to bypass shield and retreat.

Last edited:

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
okay but pit is way cuter than any of the other swordsmen soooo

In all seriousness, the swordies have always been a horribly unbalanced class of fighter in smash 4 starting with Lucina being almost objectively worse than marth, and completely ruined by cloud and corrin. If you point to any swordie in this game, there is absolutely no reason to use them instead of corrin or cloud, except for maybe toon link since he has the zoning niche.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

In all seriousness, the swordies have always been a horribly unbalanced class of fighter in smash 4 starting with Lucina being almost objectively worse than marth, and completely ruined by cloud and corrin. If you point to any swordie in this game, there is absolutely no reason to use them instead of corrin or cloud, except for maybe toon link since he has the zoning niche.
Ike is secretly the best of them in doubles given absolutely nobody else in the game is a better stock tank.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Sounds like a good design to me.
I don't really understand your whole point. Corrin is pretty slightly above average with unique tools. Thats a good think. There is nothing busted about it at all.
I actually think Corrin's design balance is roughly what should be aimed for when adjusting characters. The character's weaknesses are apparent and can be exploited but ultimately don't prevent the character from executing their strategy.

Weaknesses are a poor grab game until high percents, poor horizontal mobility, and poor recovery. The poor mobility hinders approaching but Corrin has excellent range, even on moves not named Dragon Lunge or FSmash, and most of his attacks send opponents vertically allowing for solid combos. His grab, while not a big deal at low percents, is threatening at high ones, which is a nice thing to have (just ask Sheik after this last patch). Recovery is an issue but Corrin has several mixups available, assuming he isn't sent too far offstage to where he has to just focus on surviving.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you ask me, having grab range about as bad as Ganon's, while having tools that are not explicitly better than his to easily cover roll away is pretty awful. To put in perspective, Ganon can *safely* cover back roll sometimes with crossover DA, which is safe on shield and spotdodge and leads to pretty good reward in several instances, so his grab range is crap, but I can argue he has options to cover fundamental defenses sometimes safely that might occur off the threat of being grabbed. Still, this doesn't change that having really bad grab range cripples a lot of pressure Ganon can put on his opponent.

Corrin's DA is slower and doesn't go as far making it less consistent, and it's less rewarding and way less safe on shield, and Dragon Lunge needs extremely specific or preemtive timing to catch back roll, which admittedly can be safe on shield if you're not close enough for them to do something oos before the kick.

So not only is Corrin struggling a lot to even just grab you in the first place, escapes from reacting to his positioning in close range are rarely punished. Which to me brings the question, why I would ever do anything unsafe vs Corrin when he does not have a great negative state?

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382

I would say a majority of the other sword fighters have unique traits over Cloud and Corrin that give them their own niche. Ike and Link have a much stronger grab game and edge guarding abilities, Marth and Lucina have overall better frame data and range, etc.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Im actually laughing, how does anyone look at corrin's kit and say "this fighter is mediocre"

But its completely pointless to get into it because the discussion is just going to devolve into "im right" "no im right" "no u are wrong im right" "pika uthrow rar thunder is guaranteed"

as per usual~

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Im actually laughing, how does anyone look at corrin's kit and say "this fighter is mediocre"

But its completely pointless to get into it because the discussion is just going to devolve into "im right" "no im right" "no u are wrong im right" "pika uthrow rar thunder is guaranteed"

as per usual~
Look at the meta. Almost all the good characters except Cloud have a good negative state. Cloud is an exception because his tools are insane enough to circumvent issues chasing TOP TIER NEGATIVE STATES.

Corrin is markedly not as impressive as Cloud at basically everything, has a recovery that can be argued to be comparably bad or worse depending on matchup, and has a looooot of other problems. How do you ignore grab range that is literally about as bad as Ganon's?

Outside of teams (where Cloud is still better anyway), I'm more wondering why people haven't figured out how easy it is to play safe against the character.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
But Corrin is like, the king of turtling. Why are you trying to keep him out? He's trying to do that do you, and likely better. Nair, fair, bair, DFS, Dragon Lunge; all excellent defensive zoning tools, almost all safe when used correctly. DL is absurdly good. I think it makes the character quite a bit more threatening than they could be without it. This character is very good.

Cloud is unquestionably better, but Corrin offers a different set of tools suited to a different play style and is very much a viable character.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
But Corrin is like, the king of turtling. Why are you trying to keep him out? He's trying to do that do you, and likely better. Nair, fair, bair, DFS, Dragon Lunge; all excellent defensive zoning tools, almost all safe when used correctly. DL is absurdly good. I think it makes the character quite a bit more threatening than they could be without it. This character is very good.

Cloud is unquestionably better, but Corrin offers a different set of tools suited to a different play style and is very much a viable character.
King of Turtling? I think you mispelled Gunner.

Or heck, Sonic and Rosalina. Or Toon Link whose turtling game can work because Bombs are safe on perfect shield attempts.

Yes DL is a decent escape tool, though you don't exactly have stage control when it doesn't hit. But if you're going to talk about all these safe things, like basically everyone can arguably use safe tools in neutral.

And furthermore in certain matchups, my win condition is as simple as putting the character offstage.

My question is, knowing you won't break my shield, or grab me in most practical situations, why I'd ever do anything except go for safe perfect shield attempts?

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I think comparing sword fighters to other sword fighters is inherently pretty pointless unless they are clones because ALL other ones are completely unique in what they want to do and how their moves work.

Maybe that's just me though.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't really see the threat in Corrin either, especially after the last patch. The character's well rounded but I don't see her being better than the Pits. Cloud and Ike have better set ups and kill options and there's just nothing about her that really impresses me compared to the Pits aside from Fsmash's WTFBBQ tipper kills.

juddy96

Smash Lord
I don't really see the threat in Corrin either, especially after the last patch. The character's well rounded but I don't see her being better than the Pits. Cloud and Ike have better set ups and kill options and there's just nothing about her that really impresses me compared to the Pits aside from Fsmash's WTFBBQ tipper kills.
Her results is what impresses me compared to the Pits. Along with multiple high level players taking an interest in picking her up, or having already picked her up.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
"Toon Link can do nothing to me if I shield all the time."
I'm not exactly impressed with TL either, but that character has an actual camping game that has safe responses to perfect shields, and while the grab is risky, it kinda exists unlike Corrin's.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
The thing about Corrin's results, or at least a large amount of them posted in this topic.... they aren't solo results. Its solo results that really determine how viable a character is compared to their theory. Don't get me wrong, certainly some high solo placements.... but a lot of shared placements as well. Which to me speaks a fair bit about Corrin's viability (and being heavily overrated. They're floating somewhere in D tier by the 4BR tier list method)

BunbUn129

Smash Ace

In all seriousness, the swordies have always been a horribly unbalanced class of fighter in smash 4
The balance of sword fighters has been questionable ever since Melee. The balance of sword characters (and weapon-wielders to include D3 and IC's) has ranged from unfortunate (:roymelee:) to questionable (:4cloud2:) to mind-numbingly disastrous (:metaknight:).

:roymelee: and :marthmelee: have a very questionable contrast in their designs: Marth not only has the advantage of a tipper and slightly longer reach, but faster dashing and walking speeds, a 1-frame faster jumpsquat, a longer wavedash, and moves that generally deal more knockback with better frame data to top it off. And Marth has the benefit of longer survivability due to his superior recovery.

:metaknight:: I don't think we need that much explanation here. But there's one thing in MK's design that I don't see getting mentioned much: his hitboxes aren't crazy due to their sizes, but for another reason: in all his interations, Marth's range is counterbalanced by the ending lag on his moves, their low active frames, and the fact that they travel in arcs. Meanwhile, Brawl MK (and to a much lesser extent, Smash 4 MK) has the advantage of disjoints and static hitboxes. Brawl MK's forward aerial was so overtuned because the sword trails were active for 6 frames and covered the whole area in front of him on each of those frames.

This dumb combination of long reach and static hitboxes is precisely why Mach Tornado was such an oppressive move.

--Off topic a little: one reason :4metaknight:'s hitboxes are much more tame isn't solely the reduced range; they severely reduced his active frames. Want to know how severely? Fair, uair, dair, f tilt, fsmash, usmash, and dsmash all had their active frames shortened by 50%. In more detail, all of those moves have only 1 active frame (multi-hits have 1 frame on each hit). And just FYI, Smash 4 MK's fair has longer range than in Brawl.--

:4cloud2:: similar to Brawl MK, his range is strangely coupled with high hitbox durations (uair and dair, anyone?). :4myfriends: also has this advantage to a degree, but Cloud also has the benefit of great mobility, a charging mechanic that allows him to actually camp and force approaches along with a projectile, and good frame data. I know Sakurai likely intended for Cloud to be really, really good, but from a game balance stand-point, throwing absurd range, long active frames, Limit Break, and high damage output onto a 1.97 dashing speed, 1.1 air speed, and a 4-frame jumpsquat is all obviously going to raise a lot of eyebrows.

:4feroy:: Roy is just a mess of half-baked playstyles. We've already discussed this a while back. He was already overshadowed by :4metaknight: from the start (Roy DLC update was a month after the last patch to majorly change MK pre-1.1.5) because MK was and is a sword character who filled Roy's niche of trading range for mobility, and MK works as much better mix between heavy pressure and combos than Roy, who was clearly intended to play that role (just note: I remember reading a post a long while back that said Roy hard-countered MK).Then :4myfriends: got major buffs and accelerated ahead of Roy. Roy went from being overshadowed to completely invalidated with Cloud's release, and only more so with the buffs to :4marth::4lucina: and the inclusion of :4corrin:.

:4myfriends:: Ike stood out really well for his range, but is now somewhat overshadowed by Cloud. However, Ike still has a niche in his grab game, which is generally the most consistent out of all the swordies. Furthermore, he's heavier than Cloud with a much better recovery, giving him another selling point in his survivability.

TL;DR Smash 4 has 13 sword characters, and :4metaknight::4cloud2::4corrin::4tlink::4myfriends: are the ones who have niches while not being invalidated by others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom