• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3DS League Ended November 2014 (Smashboards will not let me delete this)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Events2Compete

Smash Journeyman
I hope I can remember all that and my opponent doesn't ask for me to show him in the rules if it comes down to that.
Agreeing to a Stage as first method would make things much easier, it's what a lot of people are doing now.

Also, I am having trouble signing up at Smash4friends as well. I got an error code. I tried back later and got the same error code. I got an error code on some of the other pages, so I figured it might not be on my end of things. What does it mean?

One last thing: I play Mii as my main, but I just saw that character is banned. Why am I not allowed to use my character in this event?
Well if it comes down to that, just ask your opponent to play a one stock match to decide. That's probably easiest. Like I said I haven't heard of this issue at all from any players for the past 3 weeks except for the couple of posts above here.

For the Smash4Friends issue, are you trying to register on the forums? I'm not sure why that's happening but a lot of players kept telling me they had the same issue but they eventually figured it out.

Like many other tournaments, I have decided to ban miis mainly because you can't use them in For Glory and I wanted to keep the selection from only characters that players can face in For Glory. For now i'm banning all custom moves and mii characters but I may be open to adding them in the future.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Although my opponent may like the idea of a one-stock match to make decisions, I don't think I feel comfortable showing off my strategies, tactics, tricks, and choice of character before, and it also brings up a problem of which Stage to use for the 1-stock match :^(
It's probably not easiest way to decide things, just opens up too many other problems. Could we have a more Competitively Principled ruling to decide?

And, no, I tried registering on the front page. If others have figured out the problem I guess I could spend more time with it. I'll let you know.

Also, just an FYI, Mii is banned on For Glory due to offensive images that may be displayed (think of how many Hitlers would be running around).
I suppose it is an option to just disallow the character because they are not available For Glory, but in Nintendo's own tournament they allowed Mii only if the image and likeness represented the player. A similar warning could be given so us Mii mains could compete. Just a suggestion.

Events2Compete

Smash Journeyman
Although my opponent may like the idea of a one-stock match to make decisions, I don't think I feel comfortable showing off my strategies, tactics, tricks, and choice of character before, and it also brings up a problem of which Stage to use for the 1-stock match :^(
It's probably not easiest way to decide things, just opens up too many other problems. Could we have a more Competitively Principled ruling to decide?

And, no, I tried registering on the front page. If others have figured out the problem I guess I could spend more time with it. I'll let you know.

Also, just an FYI, Mii is banned on For Glory due to offensive images that may be displayed (think of how many Hitlers would be running around).
I suppose it is an option to just disallow the character because they are not available For Glory, but in Nintendo's own tournament they allowed Mii only if the image and likeness represented the player. A similar warning could be given so us Mii mains could compete. Just a suggestion.
Well think about it this way. If choosing the stage is that important and would make a big difference between you and your opponent, if you end up losing the first match, you will be able to choose the stage for the second and third match giving you the advantage. Otherwise, you two can discuss how you want to resolve the first stage issue. You both could agree on a whole different stage entirely, your opponent could strike first, or you could do the one stock matchup. If that's still an issue and neither of you can agree on something, just message one of the admins and the they can resolve it one of many ways.

Try registering on the forum with the link I provided above in the original post. Let me know if it's still not working. If it doesn't, let me know.

Yes I know that's the main reason Mii's is banned, but the fact that they are banned means many players haven't been exposed to many matchups against Mii characters which would give them a disadvantage and you a big advantage. I have no problem with players making their Mii's appear any way they want them to. I'm just trying to keep the game simple with keeping the list of characters and rules to what players see on a regular basis in For Glory.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Ok, I'll try to resolve something with the opponent, but over many years of tournament experience it's usually not a problem. Would just be very helpful to have something concrete to point to since competitors like to find loopholes in rules to use against me (guess I am a pretty big threat?).

And I got registered, already in a heated discussion about Stages and bans over there. Nothing like stage discussion to pick up some activity with some people ;^)

Unfamiliarity is the reason? But I don't know the matchup against Little Mac, does that mean he should be banned as well? Ah, slippery slope, isn't it?
The newbies will figure out the matchup if we let them play the game, but how do we do that if they are banned?
Too many problems, but ultimately it turns out I just cannot compete because the character I want to use is banned. At least one less attending now, and may hinder the chance I stick with the site.
But at least I got registered for the time being.

Events2Compete

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I'll try to resolve something with the opponent, but over many years of tournament experience it's usually not a problem. Would just be very helpful to have something concrete to point to since competitors like to find loopholes in rules to use against me (guess I am a pretty big threat?).

And I got registered, already in a heated discussion about Stages and bans over there. Nothing like stage discussion to pick up some activity with some people ;^)

Unfamiliarity is the reason? But I don't know the matchup against Little Mac, does that mean he should be banned as well? Ah, slippery slope, isn't it?
The newbies will figure out the matchup if we let them play the game, but how do we do that if they are banned?
Too many problems, but ultimately it turns out I just cannot compete because the character I want to use is banned. At least one less attending now, and may hinder the chance I stick with the site.
But at least I got registered for the time being.
I doubt you will have a problem and if you do you could just send me a message.

Where's the heated discussion happening? Can you provide a link?

The difference is Little Mac is a character that players can choose and you can play against in For Glory. Miis are not. Most players focus mainly on For Glory and are used to all the characters by now or have had an opportunity to. So many players choose Little Mac so there's no way anyone that's spent a good amount of time on For Glory doesn't know the matchup against Little Mac. If I had to change the rules every time someone asked me to my tournaments would never happen. It's a free tournament that i'm putting down money for out of my pocket with rules I made up that are similar to how many other TO's run their tournaments. It's meant to be for fun but everyone takes it way too seriously. If what you're complaining about were a major issue, then out of the few hundred people that have participated in the first few weeks, I would have heard it at least once from them, but I haven't except for in this thread.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I doubt you will have a problem and if you do you could just send me a message.
Yeah, thank you, and I'll keep that in mind.
Maybe as a suggestion, for future events a concise decision can be determined (again Agreement Method works wonders).

Where's the heated discussion happening? Can you provide a link?
Oh, it's come to an end and found its way to another thread: http://forums.smash4friends.com/topic/311/custom-moves-are-banned-because

The difference is Little Mac is a character that players can choose and you can play against in For Glory. Miis are not.
It's already been established that Mii is not allowed on Nintendo's online mode For Glory due to potential offensive imagery (but are allowed with friend codes because it is assumed you are not playing with strangers with a FC). Seeing as it was already stated that the offensive imagery is not an issue with this event it then leads to question why adhere to this rule when players (such as myself) feel excluded and you lose potential attendees?

Most players focus mainly on For Glory and are used to all the characters by now or have had an opportunity to. So many players choose Little Mac so there's no way anyone that's spent a good amount of time on For Glory doesn't know the matchup against Little Mac.
So since nobody uses Jigglypuff on For Glory then is that character also banned?

If I had to change the rules every time someone asked me to my tournaments would never happen.
I'm not asking you to change the rules, I am simply asking the reasoning behind them, although I do want to state that I feel excluded due to a questionable character ban that is directly affecting my attendance.
As the TO it's totally your choice to decide what to do from there.

If what you're complaining about were a major issue, then out of the few hundred people that have participated in the first few weeks, I would have heard it at least once from them, but I haven't except for in this thread.
I'm not sure how ease of complaints has anything to do with a questionable ruling (as we cannot know how many people are NOT complaining yet NOT happy with this ruling. For me I nearly just passed this event up completely without a complaint but decided to see if the rules would change knowing Mii are not bound to Customization), but since I've been a TO for many years and have put well over a thousand dollars of my own money down for events over said years as well, I can definitely sympathize.

It's meant to be for fun but everyone takes it way too seriously.
If you think this may be the case, please look back at what I posted and see I have tried my best to be both polite and yet address my concerns with feelings of being excluded (it's always a touchy subject to issue a formal complaint without coming off as a jerk). I think it's really cool you are offering prize money for motivation, but no amount of money would keep me from being excluding me from using my character - I'm missing out on all the fun :^(

To keep things from getting too problematic for you I think I'll just end it here and say thank you for addressing all my questions (mostly about registration problems) and hope to attend in the future.

Last edited:

Events2Compete

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, thank you, and I'll keep that in mind.
Maybe as a suggestion, for future events a concise decision can be determined (again Agreement Method works wonders).

Oh, it's come to an end and found its way to another thread: http://forums.smash4friends.com/topic/311/custom-moves-are-banned-because

It's already been established that Mii is not allowed on Nintendo's online mode For Glory due to potential offensive imagery (but are allowed with friend codes because it is assumed you are not playing with strangers with a FC). Seeing as it was already stated that the offensive imagery is not an issue with this event it then leads to question why adhere to this rule when players (such as myself) feel excluded and you lose potential attendees?

So since nobody uses Jigglypuff on For Glory then is that character also banned?

I'm not asking you to change the rules, I am simply asking the reasoning behind them, although I do want to state that I feel excluded due to a questionable character ban that is directly affecting my attendance.
As the TO it's totally your choice to decide what to do from there.

I'm not sure how ease of complaints has anything to do with a questionable ruling (as we cannot know how many people are NOT complaining yet NOT happy with this ruling. For me I nearly just passed this event up completely without a complaint but decided to see if the rules would change knowing Mii are not bound to Customization), but since I've been a TO for many years and have put well over a thousand dollars of my own money down for events over said years as well, I can definitely sympathize.

If you think this may be the case, please look back at what I posted and see I have tried my best to be both polite and yet address my concerns with feelings of being excluded (it's always a touchy subject to issue a formal complaint without coming off as a jerk). I think it's really cool you are offering prize money for motivation, but no amount of money would keep me from being excluding me from using my character - I'm missing out on all the fun :^(

To keep things from getting too problematic for you I think I'll just end it here and say thank you for addressing all my questions (mostly about registration problems) and hope to attend in the future.
I totally understand where you're coming from and why you're upset, but these are just my rules that other TO's in Chicago and other cities also follow. I gave my reasoning in the past two replies why Miis aren't allowed for my tournament. It's about the opportunity that most players have to play against Miis in For Glory and the same goes for custom moves. Every other character can be played so you can't say that about Jigglypuff or anyone else. You have an opportunity to play against them so I can't ban any of those players. In my opinion it's still too soon to include anything not allowed in For Glory because I want everyone to have an equal opportunity of being able to experience playing against Miis or with custom moves. But, below your name it shows you are a Greninja main. Why don't you enter with him instead of a Mii.

Also, i'll be heavily promoting this tournament tomorrow and Sunday, which I wasn't able to do last week, so it will probably be similar to what happened two weeks ago when we reached the cap of 256 entrants. Therefore, you can't really say i'll be losing potential attendees if we reach the limit again. I personally talk to about half the players in the tournament while it's going on and I hear a few complaints about other stuff but nothing about the issues you've brought up. The biggest issue is the amount of time it takes to complete the first two rounds which about half the players complain every tournament. In my opinion, the rules are fine for now. If any issues arise during the tournament I always settle them.

Actually, here's what i'll do. Since there's a few hundred people that see the event page, i'll put up a poll and see what people say about custom moves and miis. It would be nice to see what the community thinks if it gets a lot of responses. If I get an overwhelming majority in favor with at least 50 votes, i'll probably include both. If it's like close to 50/50 or less then I won't. Is that fair?

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Crap I missed it I was playing Melee and wasn't paying attention to time. Ugh. Oh well. :(

Last edited:

Big-Boss

Smash Cadet
NNID
Big-Boss_MGS-pro
3DS FC
1951-0047-6439
The link to week 5 still not up? I'm going to participate in it, but the challenge link is still week 4. Any one know why?

Big-Boss

Smash Cadet
NNID
Big-Boss_MGS-pro
3DS FC
1951-0047-6439

rock12et

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rock12et
Switch FC
7918-6826-7763
r we going to chat smash 4frined r we going to chat there

Kakizuto

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1719-4337-2271
I joined the tournament however I get off work at 3:00 CST. Is it okay if Im a little late due to travel time?

Events2Compete

Smash Journeyman
I joined the tournament however I get off work at 3:00 CST. Is it okay if Im a little late due to travel time?
Just make sure you check in to the tournament before 3:00 CST or else Challonge will remove you. Otherwise, you have to get your first set started by 3:15 CST or else you'll lose the first round and be sent to the losers bracket. If you have to miss the first one, you can try your luck in the losers bracket. Make sure to read the full rules before playing so you know all the start times and what to do in every situation.

Events2Compete

Smash Journeyman
The finals tournament has been created
http://challonge.com/e2c_3ds_finals

The following players have qualified for the top 8 tournament.

cyve, Greddyknight, iiGGYHo3, Kodystri, Wau, BO_X7, Tairbear, Krazy, Ran | Xawas, lazyboredom, Luisfer, ojama92, Galespark, NiceGuyRy, Algo922, Hitaku, JJROCKETS , Wusi, j_tee, KunaiKazeKun, Andrew_Ryan, dreamcastfan, Alphamew17, matt96k, DKwill, RedPanda_Killanator, Gsilent007, Locke_06, Nysyarc, and RedPanda_0bjection.

I decided to take the top 8 players from every week to compete on Sunday. You can play your opponent anytime before Sunday, otherwise the tournament will begin Sunday at 1 pm cst.

Events2Compete

Smash Journeyman
so I assume it's too late to sign up.
You missed the previous league we ran but you're in luck. E2C, Hypest, & RTGN are holding a massive online Smash 4 tournament with $1000 in prizes. This may possibly be the biggest online Smash 4 tournament ever. You can check out the event page here https://www.facebook.com/events/321152068082677/ and register herewww.events2compete.com. It's completely free so this is a good chance for you to see how you compare with players worldwide.

Grass

Smash Lord
You missed the previous league we ran but you're in luck. E2C, Hypest, & RTGN are holding a massive online Smash 4 tournament with $1000 in prizes. This may possibly be the biggest online Smash 4 tournament ever. You can check out the event page here https://www.facebook.com/events/321152068082677/ and register herewww.events2compete.com. It's completely free so this is a good chance for you to see how you compare with players worldwide.
3 stock 8 mins? holy ****, best tourney ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom