• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS 3DS Japanese Release Build Demo Event Day II (Keep questions for AMA after event) [TY Zipzo's Wife]

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
At the event do you get to play just the Starting Roster or The Starting Roster with the Secret Characters?

Pannopap

Smash Rookie
That is certainly a popular hypothesis.

However, if the video that served as the source of these leaks was indeed intended for the ESRB (as is the apparent case), then they would need to see all the characters.

Another popular hypothesis that accounts for this is the Debug route -- wherein someone (likely the person who filmed the video) used debug codes to circumvent having to unlock all the characters linearly. So these codes would unlock characters, stages, and trophies all at once for the ESRB to conveniently review; yet because they circumvented the usual unlocking method, the All-Star Mode would still be locked.

Whether this Debug Hypothesis holds, the question remains that if there are more characters than seen in those image leaks, why such characters would be hidden from ESRB eyes (since they would need to see everything for the purposes of rating).

Not to say that 51+ characters isn't going to happen; it is simply that, with everything known so far, a 51 character roster (45 + 3 clones + 3 Mii classes) is the more probable route.

Alternate costumes do not have any gameplay differences. They are only a cosmetic swap.

So the Alph costume doesn't play any different than Olimar himself, for instance. And so it would go for Wire Frame Mac, Male Fit Trainer, the Villager costumes, and so forth.

If a costume had different gameplay or physical attributes, they would have been promoted to the Costume Clone status -- which, as Sakurai explained, is what he did with Lucina (who was originally intended to be a Marth gender-swap costume).
True, but if the leak about there being potential dlc is true that could be the other 5, in which case it's still 12 unlockables but not the final roster over the entire course of the game's lifetime. But, that's just wishful thinking and speculation.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
True, but if the leak about there being potential dlc is true that could be the other 5, in which case it's still 12 unlockables but not the final roster over the entire course of the game's lifetime. But, that's just wishful thinking and speculation.
DLC is certainly plausible, if not likely. I'd expect news of DLC to surface either around the Wii U launch window, or a few months after.

However, current "leaks" that name specific characters for future DLC have not been confirmed to be true (at least, not to the same degree as the ESRB leak material). So it's anyone's guess what we might get via future DLC packs (if we get them at all).

But this is veering off-topic. The point is that it's unlikely that there are "hidden characters" not shown in the ESRB stuff, and that DLC is plausible, but yet to be validated to any trustworthy degree.

At the event do you get to play just the Starting Roster or The Starting Roster with the Secret Characters?
Seems that it was just the Starter Roster. All officially confirmed characters minus Lucina were playable at the demo event (as per Zipzo).

So no Wario or Ness or whoever else is hidden this time around. Which is only to be expected, since hidden characters would ideally be hidden to the public before the official release date.

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
It is simply not plausible that the leaked roster is complete, even complete pre-DLC, regardless of any ESRB circustances.

It's a simple matter of geometry. There are 48 standard characters shown. The logical way to arrange them is as a 6x8 grid. Or with one button added for either Random or Mii Fighters, for a total of 49 as a 7x7 grid. Or with a Random button and a Mii Fighters button each added separately, for a total of 50 as a 5x10 grid.

It is not remotely plausible that Sakurai would choose, over the alternatives, to display a completed roster consisting only of the characters we've seen as a 6x9 grid with so much empty space. Especially when the CSS is designed to be space-filling.

This does not confirm we will see five more characters for a total of 54. It does, however, confirm that we will see at least one more character, and probably more.

Besides, with a starting roster of 37, how could we expect a final roster any less than 54?

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
About falcon's fair landing lag...it seems to be changed to exclusively affect the possibility of double/triple knee and obviously the effectiveness of just throwing it out there. His other aerials look extremely fast, so nair -> uair -> knee is still probable, which is hype as ****.

Also, i'm guessing fair landing lag has nothing to do with the lag you experience using fair in the air. So dropzone knee might still be possible. Of course, as long as his up-B being changed to upwards only isn't as bad as it sounds that is. Hopefully it isn't luigi status where he literally can't move at all.
It's definitely not as bad as "Luigi status". I think the point is that it doesn't move forward automatically anymore (it used to in at least one previous Smash game). Having it go straight up by default is actually to Falcon's benefit, especially since it looks like he can ledge-snap from significant distance when using it. See here towards the end of the video: a.pomf.se/dgthdo.webm

Edit: Specifically, it's at 1:57 in the video I linked above. Captain Falcon performs a Falcon Dive while moving forward and, halfway through, suddenly snaps to a ledge about a character-width in front of him. (The Falcon Dive GFX is actually still there for a moment when he's on the ledge, he snaps to it that quickly.)

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
If you want answers to that, you're better off reading through this thread, as well as Zipzo's AMA thread (which is currently temporarily locked). As he and a few others have attested, there are numerous character-specific and general gameplay quirks and tweaks that are worth noting.
OK.. thanks, and by the way, will you play the Japanese version too?

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'll just say I'm disappointed that no Samus/Zero Suit Samus discussion came out from this weekend beyond a couple of color swaps.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I'll just say I'm disappointed that no Samus/Zero Suit Samus discussion came out from this weekend beyond a couple of color swaps.
ZSS won the E3 Invitational. I think most attention was subject to stuff not in the E3 build IE color swaps and newly playable characters

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I'm glad that landing lag isn't nearly as bad as we thought. Still sad about Marth. I really want to see what we can do with him - who knows.

My biggest disappointment however, is aerial movement and how your ground speed doesn't transfer over.

Still incredibly hyped for this. I'm getting the impression that the physics feel very unique and very cool. I'm really excited to hear everyone's impressions on them.

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
Do we know of any of Luigi's alts besides the one that were shown in the early build?

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
DLC is certainly plausible, if not likely. I'd expect news of DLC to surface either around the Wii U launch window, or a few months after.

However, current "leaks" that name specific characters for future DLC have not been confirmed to be true (at least, not to the same degree as the ESRB leak material). So it's anyone's guess what we might get via future DLC packs (if we get them at all).

But this is veering off-topic. The point is that it's unlikely that there are "hidden characters" not shown in the ESRB stuff, and that DLC is plausible, but yet to be validated to any trustworthy degree.

Seems that it was just the Starter Roster. All officially confirmed characters minus Lucina were playable at the demo event (as per Zipzo).

So no Wario or Ness or whoever else is hidden this time around. Which is only to be expected, since hidden characters would ideally be hidden to the public before the official release date.
You seem to have gotten things backwards! :p

No, the chances of DLC are pretty low imo. The leak that named the DLC characters is fake, as many have stated. And considering Fox now has an alternate costume that looks nearly identical to Wolf, there is a high chance that he's not in the game at all, and that all the DLC characters are cut entirely... After hearing the Wolf thing, I also expect Lucas to be an alternate for Ness, as the Koopalings are alts for Bowser Jr.

Also the chances of "hidden characters" in not shown in the ESRB leak are pretty high, with evidence being that All-Star mode was locked (or according to Sakurai, "incomplete", because you can still play All-Star mode, you just wont get to fight all the characters until you've unlocked all of them.), and that there are five open spaces in the CSS. Not to mention that most of the Gematsu leak is true now, which would strongly hint at the Chorus Men being a playable character. If I were to make a prediction on the last five characters for the roster, I would say:
Mewtwo
Ridley (I do not support him, I just think his chances are kinda high)
Dixie Kong (...my second most wanted character, with the first being Bowser Jr, who is in the game!)
Roy (yes, I said Roy. There's no way they would put in Dr. Mario in without Roy and Mewtwo also being in.....)
Chorus Men

Your last statement confuses me. What do you mean by "hidden"? Do you mean unlockable, or just not revealed (as in, on the Smash Bros Official Website)? Just so you know, several Nintendo games have been released early on accident (well, on purpose actually, even though the people who got it would be in major trouble) such as Pokemon X/Y, so the chances of the characters being revealed early aren't necessarily low.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Things I'm interested in knowing:

— Jab-cancelling: Is it true that the window for performing a third jab is short enough to make it unnecessary? That's what it looked like from the Japanese Features Trailer.
— Mario's Jab x2 > Jab x2 > FTilt (angled up) combo from the Features Trailer. Is it a true combo? Probably test it at higher percents, around the 90% range, on a heavy character.
— Near a ledge: For Mario, is Jab x3 > run off the ledge > FAir a legit combo versus fast-falling characters?

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
Is Smash 4 on the original Nintendo 3DS really unplayable to where we can't see the characters at all? Should I upgrade to N3DS Xl or just keep the original 3DS until the Wii U ones come out.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Is Smash 4 on the original Nintendo 3DS really unplayable to where we can't see the characters at all? Should I upgrade to N3DS Xl or just keep the original 3DS until the Wii U ones come out.
I think @SuperSah played on a original 3DS and he said it looks fine.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
At this point, the biggest mystry in the game is what Little Mac does when he enters the stage wearing his pink sweatshirt as a costume.

Zango

Smash Apprentice
Any idea when we can expect new info? IIRC, this is about the time frame we were told Zipzo would be once again playing today.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
@ PingPongCop PingPongCop

This doesn't seem the appropriate venue to go into depth about leaks (since the thread is for Japan Demo Event information). So as to not derail things further, I'll deliver a response to your post via PM (that is, if you do want to pursue this line of discussion).

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Any idea when we can expect new info? IIRC, this is about the time frame we were told Zipzo would be once again playing today.
He started updating around 12 am EST today, so I'd guess that it'l be about the same time.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
You seem to have gotten things backwards! :p

No, the chances of DLC are pretty low imo. The leak that named the DLC characters is fake, as many have stated. And considering Fox now has an alternate costume that looks nearly identical to Wolf, there is a high chance that he's not in the game at all, and that all the DLC characters are cut entirely... After hearing the Wolf thing, I also expect Lucas to be an alternate for Ness, as the Koopalings are alts for Bowser Jr.

Also the chances of "hidden characters" in not shown in the ESRB leak are pretty high, with evidence being that All-Star mode was locked (or according to Sakurai, "incomplete", because you can still play All-Star mode, you just wont get to fight all the characters until you've unlocked all of them.), and that there are five open spaces in the CSS. Not to mention that most of the Gematsu leak is true now, which would strongly hint at the Chorus Men being a playable character. If I were to make a prediction on the last five characters for the roster, I would say:
Mewtwo
Ridley (I do not support him, I just think his chances are kinda high)
Dixie Kong (...my second most wanted character, with the first being Bowser Jr, who is in the game!)
Roy (yes, I said Roy. There's no way they would put in Dr. Mario in without Roy and Mewtwo also being in.....)
Chorus Men

Your last statement confuses me. What do you mean by "hidden"? Do you mean unlockable, or just not revealed (as in, on the Smash Bros Official Website)? Just so you know, several Nintendo games have been released early on accident (well, on purpose actually, even though the people who got it would be in major trouble) such as Pokemon X/Y, so the chances of the characters being revealed early aren't necessarily low.
Lucina is the spiritual successor to Roy. She doesn't play exactly like him, but plays in a similar fashion in the sense that she's a clone of Marth and her tipper is essentially the whole blade while Roy's was essentially the blade itself and not the tip. Along with that, five Fire Emblem characters? Nintendo's most beloved franchise only has five (Pokemon. Don't say Mario because he's the whole reason people call Nintendo kings of rehashes, he's well known, but that does not mean he's as loved as he used to be). Then again... Kid Icarus has three reps so anything can happen I guess.

P.S. Uprising is my favorite 3DS game so I have no problem with Dark Pit's inclusion, I just find it pretty weird.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
@ PingPongCop PingPongCop

This doesn't seem the appropriate venue to go into depth about leaks (since the thread is for Japan Demo Event information). So as to not derail things further, I'll deliver a response to your post via PM (that is, if you do want to pursue this line of discussion).
Sure thing, feel free to PM. Sorry for posting in the wrong place.

BACK on-topic, according to @Zipzo, The game feels similar to Project M.

SMASH FANS REJOICE!

Pannopap

Smash Rookie
I'd muscle through it on your normal 3ds, there's a 'New' 3DS xl smash bros edition coming out in japan this november, so it might also come out other places too. So you'd get a new xl that can play the xenoblade remake and a c stick for a better smash bros experience.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Did I miss any news? Like Dedede or anything?
We know some DDD stuff fromother (non-Zipzo) sources. Dthrow is no longer a cg but still fixed knockback, utilt and dmsash are stronger, new side special goes through most jabs but is repelled by tilts and smashes, and Jet Hammer hits really hard but is still really hard to hit with. This twitter feed has been very informative in general:

https://twitter.com/WeinhofferBen/with_replies

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
I'd muscle through it on your normal 3ds, there's a 'New' 3DS xl smash bros edition coming out in japan this november, so it might also come out other places too. So you'd get a new xl that can play the xenoblade remake and a c stick for a better smash bros experience.
The US isn't getting the new 3ds within 2014
If you're gonna get a new 3ds do it before the wii u date is confirmed.

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
The smash bros edition is just a standard XL. They are making a New 3DS which supports the circle pad

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
I am awake.
Hey, today, can you check into Lucario's specials to see if Aura Sphere no longer charges, as implied in Famitsu?

If that's the case, I'm calling Mewtwo as 100% guaranteed a spot in the Final 5.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
We know some DDD stuff fromother (non-Zipzo) sources. Dthrow is no longer a cg but still fixed knockback, utilt and dmsash are stronger, new side special goes through most jabs but is repelled by tilts and smashes, and Jet Hammer hits really hard but is still really hard to hit with. This twitter feed has been very informative in general:

https://twitter.com/WeinhofferBen/with_replies
"Sonic seems slower and has one good aerial" he says. Yeah, no. Not even. I don't trust the guy like, at all after that.

Pannopap

Smash Rookie
The smash bros edition is just a standard XL. They are making a New 3DS which supports the circle pad
They're also coming out with a 'new' 3ds version in Japan in November along with a Monster Hunter 4 limited edition one. I have a link, but still can't post it due to not posting 10 times yet. :/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Hey, today, can you check into Lucario's specials to see if Aura Sphere no longer charges, as implied in Famitsu?

If that's the case, I'm calling Mewtwo as 100% guaranteed a spot in the Final 5.
You mean neutral b? It still charges.

kylexv

Smash Master
What to look for in terms of palette swaps and costumes:

:4mario:: Are his Luigi and Brown costumes back? If they are, what is Mario's final swap? If it/they isn't/aren't, what replaces it/them?

:4luigi:: Are his Fire and Waluigi costumes back? What are his two remaining costumes?

:4peach:: What are her five remaining costumes? Do her White, Blue, and Green dresses return?

:4bowser:: What are his remaining costumes? (I think we know default, Green with reddish-brown hair, Black with red hair, Yellow with Purple hair, and Black-Grey with Gold hair, right?). Is there actually a Dry Bowser alt?

:rosalina:: What are her three remaining colors?

:4dk:: Do Yeti Kong and Green DK return? What are his remaining colors?

:4diddy:: What are his remaining colors? (I think we know default, Dixie-like, and Yellow shirt and White cap.)

:4zelda:: What are her three remaining colors?

:4sheik:: What are her four remaining colors?

:4tlink:: What are his remaining colors? (I think we know default, Red, Blue, Purple, and Classic.)

:4pit:: What are his two remaining colors?

:4palutena:: What are her colors?

:4marth:: What are his three remaining colors?

:4myfriends:: What are his colors?

:4robinm:: (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we know all of them already.)

:4kirby:: Is Green Kirby back? What is his last costume?

:4dedede:: What are his six remaining colors?

:4metaknight:: Are the Dark MK and Galacta alts real? What are his colors?

:4littlemac:: What are his three remaining normal costumes and his six remaining Wire Frame costumes? (I hears WFM has a hoodie alt too.)

:4fox:: What are his three remaining alts?

:4pikachu:: What are his two remaining alts?

:4charizard:: What are his remaining alts?

:4lucario:: What are his remaining alts?

:4greninja:: What are his four remaining alts?

:4falcon:: What are his five remaining alts?

:4olimar:: What are his Alph colors?

:4wiifit:: What are her remaining colors, Male and Female?

:4shulk:: What are his four remaining colors?

:4pacman:: What are his colors?

:4megaman:: What are his three remaining colors?

:4sonic:: Do a few of Sonic's alts from brawl return? (Red, Yellow, Green).

Correct me on ANYTHING that is incorrect. We know all of :4samus:,:4zss:, and :4villager:'s colors.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
"Sonic seems slower and has one good aerial" he says. Yeah, no. Not even. I don't trust the guy like, at all after that.
As someone who did a huge write-up for the Best Buy demo, I can say it's pretty hard to judge random characters you would otherwise never play in timed FFAs with items. Expect some of the value judgments all of our generous testers are providing oth ave a real error rate and to occasionally contradict, but that doesn't mean that any one of them is not giving us useful information. You just have to take it for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom