• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - July 15th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash WiiU & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. Along with Robin, Lucina joins the battle!! Her physical ablilites are identical to Marth's--it must be in her D.N.A. However, where Marth's power is concentrated in the tip of the sword, Lucina's attack strength is balanced throughout the weapon, which might make her easier to control. She's also a little bit shorter than Marth."

He included additional pictures saying "With the Wii Fit Trainers, the male and female Robins, the Villagers, and Little Mac, varying their appearances and voices works just like selecting alternate color variations. However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. That is why you can select Lucina individually."

"By the way…there's probably no chance you'll be able to see this in the game, but Lucina has the mark of Naga in her left eye."

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
RIP the theory. Sakurai with the subtle troll leading into the post calling them identical, and the glance at the second image having Lucina/Marth with Male/Female trainers haha

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
There, she's her own character. Now let's stop ********, a'right?

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I'm really glad she's her own character. It makes me so happy just seeing her in the game like this! :D

•Col•

Smash Champion
This makes me curious if there's going to be any other clone newcomers. Would be a little strange if Lucina really was the only one.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Jesus christ, I was 100% certain that Lucina was going to be a new character rather than an alt costume, but the second picture made my heart skip a beat. For a second I thought that she really was going to be an alt costume... then I read Sakurai's post and was instantly relieved.

So I guess this confirms Lucina as an actual character, and I guess that this means Lucina has high chances of being a clone rather than a semi.

The eye, although a small feature, looks pretty darn neat. I'm glad Sakurai gave her it.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
RIP the theory. Sakurai with the subtle troll leading into the post calling them identical, and the glance at the second image having Lucina/Marth with Male/Female trainers haha
sakurai watches japan time obviously

Zoa

Smash Ace
So she's a shorter Marth without a tipper. Way to kill the hype, Sakurai.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I'm happy she's in but the only change is that there's no tipper...? Really? And that she's slightly shorter? (Meaning she has less hurtboxes?)

Her physical abilities are 100% identical? So it's not even like a fox falco or roy marth kind of thing?

Wish it coulda had a little more difference, but I can't ask for too much. At least keeping the physical abilities the same would prevent people from feeling bad if, for example, they liked Lucina but wanted her to have Marth's physical abilities or the other way. Keeping it the same would make people more OK with how Lucina/Marth's abilities are.

NNID
Majorasmask66
I'm happy she's in but the only change is that there's no tipper...? Really? And that she's slightly shorter? (Meaning she has less hurtboxes?)

Her physical abilities are 100% identical? So it's not even like a fox falco or roy marth kind of thing?

Wish it coulda had a little more difference, but I can't ask for too much. At least keeping the physical abilities the same would prevent people from feeling bad if, for example, they liked Lucina but wanted her to have Marth's physical abilities or the other way. Keeping it the same would make people more OK with how Lucina/Marth's abilities are.
there are probably more differences. we just have to wait for more info.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101

You just wait, lucina is gonna be better than marth. She has a more balanced damage rate, and she has the real dancing blade. She only has slight differences, but it will add up in the end :)

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Ok, so now that she is confirmed as a standalone character, she is qualified to be called the most-similar clone character out of every clone in the series.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Double troll is legit. Considering Fire Emblem Awakening, her being a Marth clone makes 100% sense. She's seriously GirlMarth, lol.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Pros:
She has the Brand!
She has no tipper!

Cons:
She might be even less different from Marth than Roy was.
Inb4 lack of tipper makes her low tier.
--------------------------
So I guess this confirms Lucina as an actual character and a semi-clone!
Yeah... No. Pretty sure most people would agree that a semi-clone has to at least have some different moves (eg. Luigi), not simply a different set of sweetspots (or lack thereof in this case) and a shorter stature. She's just a plain ol' clone.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Pros:
She has the Brand!
She has no tipper!

Cons:
She's even less different from Marth than Roy was.
Inb4 lack of tipper makes her low tier.
--------------------------

Yeah... No. Pretty sure most people would agree that a semi-clone has to at least some some different moves (eg. Luigi in Melee and Brawl), not simply a different set of sweetspots (or lack thereof in this case) and a shorter stature. She's just a plain ol' clone.
Ah, okay. It seems that I mistook the definition of a clone. My bad.

Kirito-

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRealKirito
3DS FC
3179-7237-9807
Nice, I for one didn't care if she had her own slot or not since I still love Lucina. Looks like I'll be maining both Marth and Lucina in this game.

Cyro

Airborne

Actually we aren't completely sure how her attacks work, based off the little moves she showed in the trailer. After all the game isn't fully developed either.

Dr. Snakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueDaBeast
3DS FC
4511-1428-9509
Love how Sakurai just completely debunked the Alt. Costume theory. It's like he was trolling over the internet all day just to see what problems the fans might have with her. Lol

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
If you're introducing the concept of customizable movesets what's the point of having Melee-tier clones?

Actually scratch that, Roy was more original.

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people are worried that she is a clone (and in my opinion, I don't want her to be but from the trailer there are moves that she obviously shares with Marth). When Sakurai mentions small differences, I hope those differences are enough to make me want to play the character.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I dunno why it would... Explain???
Because the tip of Marth's sword has a sweetspot. On his down aerial, if he connects with the tip it sends his opponent plummeting downwards. So either the entirety of Lucina's down aerial has this effect, or none of it does. I'm hoping for the former, but the latter sounds more likely.

Last edited:

LoneWolfRanger

Smash Apprentice
Why a clone character? I mean... cool and all, but I thought sakurai didnt want anymore clones?

Ah well, more chars, im not complaining

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
Because the tip of Marth's sword has a sweetspot. On his down aerial, if he connects with the tip it sends his opponent plummeting downwards. So either the entirety of Lucina's down aerial has this effect, or none of it does. I'm hoping for the former, but the latter sounds more likely.
I'm gonna guess it will act similarly to MK's dair.

Top Bottom