• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isa Jo, Vote for Him Now on SSB4 website! Both Sin & Punishments Now Storm the Nintendo eShop!

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Isa Jo

Who is he?
Isa is one of the two star characters of Nintendo's own Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. He is the son of Airan Jo and Saki Amamiya. Like his father before him, he is a nimble soldier that wields the Cannon Sword, and has Ruffian DNA within. Isa has made some upgrades over his predecessor, ditching the double jump in favour of a levitation unit on his back and upping-the-ante of melee combat with combo attacks.

Isa is voiced by Grant George.​

Why should he be in the next Super Smash Bros.?
There is no denying that he starred in a pretty niche game. Star Successor, while it sold more than expected (about 400k units worldwide), did not create a lot of commercial noise. However, what it served it served well, garnering excellent critical success. It is yet another gem created by the Bullet Hell masterminds over at Treasure, and a great game if you are looking for a challenge.​

But back to Isa: As said by Masahiro Sakurai, characters from Sin & Punishment look quite natural in Super Smash Bros. He has a kit that is just begging to be made into a fun, unique and interesting playable character. His look, personality, and style would stand out well among the cast of characters. Compared to Saki, Isa has more to draw from for his moveset.

Is there any hope of him making an appearance?
Typically, character support threads will pitch whatever they can to delude you into believing their character, without a doubt, will appear in the game. Well this thread is going to put bias aside and lay it straight:
His chances of appearing are higher than some people might think, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

It is important to remember that character appearances are dictated by their own merit and not just popularity. Masahiro Sakurai has emphasized more than once since the start of development that he is after characters that bring something new, fun and unique to the roster. Something only they can do. For example, Wii Fit Trainer was included because she is different. Isa certainly has something special he can bring to the table, without having to stretch and distort who he is to make it work.

Our venerated director is certainly aware of the character, taking heavy inspiration from Sin & Punishment for the development of Kid Icarus: Uprising, so his success in appearing in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. is entirely dictated by Masahiro Sakurai's creative vision.

Potential move list:

Isa is a character that emphasizes technique and mobility. In terms of raw combat ability, he is not the brightest star. He has respectable weight class, alright attack damage and kind of a bogus double jump. However, if you make the most of his specials, decent ground coverage and excellent aerial ability, you have a fierce fighter. Much like Sin & Punishment, Isa is certainly not an easy character to pick up.

Unique to Isa, you can choose between "Manual" and "Automatic" aiming modes in spirit of his game, dictated by a small button on the character select screen,This affects a few of his moves.​

Specials
B: Rapid Fire
This fires off energy-based rounds at an incredibly fast rate while B is held. Like Fox's blaster, they don't cause flinching. If Isa is played on Manual, the player can move the control stick to aim this attack. If Isa is on Auto, this will automatically home onto nearby fighters, and the control stick instead allows for free movement sort of like the Superscope. In spirit of Sin & Punishment, you can press L or R to dodge directly out of this attack.

B Forward: Prismatic Blade
Isa swings the Cannon Sword diagonally, creating a prismatic shimmer and reflecting projectiles. Pressing B again immediately will do a follow up swing, and B once more will finish off with one last mighty flip-slash. Much like in Star Successor, each additional attack deals more damage, but take more time to recover from and severely increases the vulnerability to attack. For this move you want to use just one swing to reflect projectiles, and save the additional swings for closing the gap with projectile fighters. As far as its direct offensive use, it racks up good damage but lacks KO power.

B Down: Lock On
This one fires off a very powerful blast that requires about a second of prep time.

While B is held, a reticle appears and the Cannon Sword begins to charge. Release B to fire off this attack at the targeted location. In Manual Mode, the attack is aimed, and detonates at its destination.
In Automatic Mode, the target tracks the nearest target and allows character movement, but will only detonate on impact.

Regardless of mode, just like in the game, the Cannon Sword needs about ten seconds to cool off between uses.

B Up: Levitation
This special move is also unique, in that it is a toggle. When activated, the levitation pack on Isa's back grants him 100% horizontal and vertical control over your character in the way of levitation. Isa still has full access to his moveset while this is activated, including specials and aerials, so you are free to go ham and engage the enemy in aerial combat.

Of course, it does have extremely limited battery, so you really want to save it for recover.​

Smash Attacks
Forward Smash
Isa drives the sword straight into the ground, creating a burst of energy to erupt in-front of him. This is a multi-hitting attack and has more lag going into it than out, so it is safe-on-block.

Down Smash
Isa jumps and fires a blast into the ground directly below him, hitting enemies to either side. Of course it doesn't damage him. :b While charged, Isa will float in place before firing.

Up Smash
Isa points the Cannon Sword upwards and an explosion appears directly above him.​

Final Smash
Ruffian Transformation
Isa descends into the background and transforms into a Ruffian for a short time. In this monstrous form, lateral movement can be controlled with the control stick. Slash with his claw using A and fire his gun with B.​

I can certainly fully map out his moveset as something unique if necessary.​
Successors of the Universe
(Supporters of Isa)
Hong
ZeldaFan01
jaytalks
GoldenYuiitusin
R.O.B.
8-peacock-8
DragonSniperNintendo
Insomniac19
shinhed-echi
CrophMaruMariolu2W0vol41PEeeeeek
TempahRelapse
UltimateWario
XenothiumX
Zuby
Leafeon523
DarkRyu
Newguy79
Blue Fang
Reila
GOofyGV
Kremling Klansman
ArcticWolf
Loïc
NATGamer
Rie Sonomura
SonicSmasher1
Oracle_Summon
Azure Warrior
SinfulRoseDS
TyrantRave
Erotic&Heretic

Support Buttons

Credit goes to jaytalks for the buttons.
Feel free to sport the Kachi buttons as well, as the two characters can more than easily fulfill the same character style.​

Custom Palettes:

Character art:

Possible Music:

Last edited:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I liked Isa Jo's game better so I would prefer him to Saki.

D

Deleted member

I personally see Isa being the one chosen over Saki, to be honest.

That being said, it's still 50/50 between them.

...and that's even if we GET a S&P character.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Personally I would pick Isa over Saki, because S&P2 is better than its predecessor (from what I saw in the first game).
It's sorta like a Ninten situation here. (Not about the similarities, it's just how the sequel overwraps the original to the point where it could be forgotten.)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Eve though I prefer his father over him, I'll support Isa regardless since there's a possibility he may be chosen over him regardless. I actually enjoyed Star Successor way more than the original Sin & Punishment gameplay and character wise. The only thing the game was lacking in was the plot, even though it was more straight forward and explanatory than the more mind ****ed original. IT was one of the more challenging games on the Wii compared to any other Nintendo published title.

Hong

The Strongest
I also like the sequel more (though I enjoy both games immensely), and more importantly, I like Isa more. Of course as a rail shooter, you don't get too much insight into the characters, but he seems pretty clever, often mind-gaming members of the Nebulox. He also beat the **** out of a Deko bare-handed.

Speaking of that scene, anyone else found it funny how Deko magically loses his shirt despite being hand-cuffed to Isa? I just remember my friend looking at me and we were both like ◔ᴗ◔◔ᴗ◔. Desperation fanservice at its finest.

And we played on the hardest-difficulty first, so she and I saw that cutscene a lot.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Great job. Hopedully Sakurai looks into adding content from the sequel, including Isa himself.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
the fact this game got an international release makes me inclined to think Isa Jo will get in over Saki.

Hong

The Strongest
Another strong point is I feel Isa requires less distortion to make into an interesting fighter. His hover unit in particular has all kinds of move potential.

I feel this is the Ninten vs Ness situation all over again.

Isa Jo is my S& P choice, he is basically the future of the series and I feel they could do more with him.

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
Not going to lie, I just really like his design over Saki's. I'd love to see Isa in the next Smash.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I would pick saki over him, honestly.
And i would also pick kachi over isa jo, she have a skateboard.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'll be honest. I prefer Saki. But Isa is pretty cool as well (though like Hibaru, I too think his fashion sense is... interesting).
I couldn't decide wether Isa or Kachi would be cooler, but I adore S&P and S&P2, the latter fixed the first's system in so many ways.

I love both games, I love all S&P characters, so I'd easily support any thread with any of them in it.

Loved the moveset in the OP.
I'm pretty confident we'll get a S&P character as well.
Ideally, I'd love to see an Isa/Kachi tag team (kinda like a Zelda/Sheik* thing, but more fluid, and with just little differences between them).
*hey, every smash game since Melee has introduced at least one. :awesome:
I support Isa!

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Those booty shorts and thigh-high boots... that's why I love the S&P series!

Anyway, I'd prefer Isa more than anyone else (as I do love S&P2 more), though I wouldn't complain if we get Saki. A stage from either game would be awesome too!

If you take the time to go over the story and events that happens in both games (I seriously had to search online what the heck happened/find an explanation of the story as I still had no idea what's going on after I beat S&P2), it's pretty mindblowing. They can really expand on the story/characters and perhaps answer a lot of questions that are left at the end of S&P2 in a third installment.

Speaking of that scene, anyone else found it funny how Deko magically loses his shirt despite being hand-cuffed to Isa? I just remember my friend looking at me and we were both like ◔ᴗ◔◔ᴗ◔. Desperation fanservice at its finest.

And we played on the hardest-difficulty first, so she and I saw that cutscene a lot.
Bah! Why couldn't Isa go shirtless too? :glare:

Jk, jk. But yeah, that scene was pretty funny... but you won't see me complaining about manservice! :awesome: (Even if it doesn't make much sense like in that scene.)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Jk, jk. But yeah, that scene was pretty funny... but you won't see me complaining about manservice! :awesome: (Even if it doesn't make much sense like in that scene.)

Dont' forget the fact that the fight is a direct parody of Street Fighter and Tekken. Dat Shoryken and Flash Kick.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Considering they had a Sin and Punishment assist trophy in Brawl, I think it boosts their chances. Hate to nag, but coul the OP, throw some of those and signature images of Isa Jo, and maybe a list of those who approve of the Isa Jo idea. If you do get around to doing the later, count me in.

Hong

The Strongest
I almost forgot I had posted this thread before my absence.

*presses Continue*

And now this thread shall last about as long as one of my lives do on Hard mode. :)

Would anyone be interested in a supporter list or buttons? If there is enough interest for such a thing, I can get around to it.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I really like the idea of this character, although I have a few issues.

The Auto/Manual thing is more than a little wonky. In these situations (with a very few exceptions), one will always be realized as better than the other. Now, if you were able to switch during battle, that would make the whole mechanic a lot more viable, but as is, I can see everyone just swarming to manual and giving up the mobility for twice the damage that Auto would offer. Smash Bros., at its very soul, is all about damage, so the more you can do, the better, even if not all of your hits hit the opponent.

The other thing is that Levitation is completely broken. A character being able to use their aerials on the ground without any sort of punishment is insane. Peach's float is a huge windfall for her character because aerials are generally much stronger than tilts. Mewtwo in Project M has a similar mechanic, and with aerials as powerful and space-consuming as his, you can only imagine how much of a boon it is to be able to hang in the air and smack people with his tail repeatedly.

The character itself, though, is from a rather unique series and is pretty cool on his own, so I'd enjoy seeing him in the next Smash.

Hong

The Strongest
I really like the idea of this character, although I have a few issues.

The Auto/Manual thing is more than a little wonky. In these situations (with a very few exceptions), one will always be realized as better than the other. Now, if you were able to switch during battle, that would make the whole mechanic a lot more viable, but as is, I can see everyone just swarming to manual and giving up the mobility for twice the damage that Auto would offer. Smash Bros., at its very soul, is all about damage, so the more you can do, the better, even if not all of your hits hit the opponent.
I wouldn't say that.

I think they are two very compelling choices. I could argue that historically, speed and mobility have dominated Smash Bros. The best characters are either fast or mobile. Those that are not, have something to limit the enemy's mobility, like Falco's blaster. All the same, the only redeeming factor of otherwise slow or immobile characters, are mobile techniques such as Whirling Fortress.

I came up with that move design along with long time competitive Smashers, and felt like they were compelling options because everyone at the table were arguing abotu which was better. I suppose a taunt could be used to switch between the two in battle, though I honestly feel most players would prefer one over the other. The division between passive and defensive Samus or Link players, and players of the same character who prefer to get physical, generally stick to either of the two 100% viable approaches to the character.

Of course the numbers are entirely up for debate. Perhaps the damage bonus could be 50%? 25? Or none at all? It is ultimately up to the developer.
The other thing is that Levitation is completely broken. A character being able to use their aerials on the ground without any sort of punishment is insane. Peach's float is a huge windfall for her character because aerials are generally much stronger than tilts. Mewtwo in Project M has a similar mechanic, and with aerials as powerful and space-consuming as his, you can only imagine how much of a boon it is to be able to hang in the air and smack people with his tail repeatedly.
The difference being that the relatively light and exploitable Isa has limited battery supply. My design is more or less based on R.O.B.'s recovery. Generally you won't be using this aggressive unless you are very confident for the same reason why Yoshi players are careful about double-jumping: If you get knocked out and you spent your recovery on aggressive options, you are dead. The fact he has a horrible doublejump only emphasizes this.

I'll make a support icon soon.
**** you, jaytalks. What, you don't think I can make one!?
Do you know who I am?

Of course I jest. If you can, make some for Kachi and I'll throw them up there as well.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
@ Hong Hong A support list would be great! If you're going to make one you can go ahead and add me.
Much love to anyone who can appreciate the awesome that emanates from Isa.

I have added you and anyone who I felt was a clear supporter of the character. If anyone else wants to be added, or if anyone feels they were wrongly placed, let me know and I will have it amended.

Hong

The Strongest
In response to support for the character (also I felt bad that this happened while I was away), I have vastly improved the opening post.

Would anyone prefer a full moveset (including throws or normals) in addition to what I have now? Also, if the moves sound imbalanced (100% valid concern), I am able to use more balanced figures if it would be preferred. ( ' ▽ ')/

Those booty shorts and thigh-high boots... that's why I love the S&P series!

Anyway, I'd prefer Isa more than anyone else (as I do love S&P2 more), though I wouldn't complain if we get Saki. A stage from either game would be awesome too!

If you take the time to go over the story and events that happens in both games (I seriously had to search online what the heck happened/find an explanation of the story as I still had no idea what's going on after I beat S&P2), it's pretty mindblowing. They can really expand on the story/characters and perhaps answer a lot of questions that are left at the end of S&P2 in a third installment.

How could I have missed this post?

I am now fairly certain we were placed on this earth to be BFFs because I agree with like everything you say.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
**** you, jaytalks. What, you don't think I can make one!?
Do you know who I am?

Of course I jest. If you can, make some for Kachi and I'll throw them up there as well.
You're Lunadis, right?

I've ended up making a lot of icons on official icons thread, so I'm always excited when I can do characters I actually like. I go a bit crazy.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
How could I have missed this post?

I am now fairly certain we were placed on this earth to be BFFs because I agree with like everything you say.
Aww, thanks. Embarrass

I've posted this in the Saki thread, but I feel I should post this here as it pertains to Isa as well:

For those who haven't read this already: Iwata Asks: S&P

Also, basically Iwata Asks, but in vid form:

The vid also shows some concept art. For example:

[collapse=Uhhh no comment]

[/collapse]

I really like the Iwata Asks interview, particularity when they talk about concept names for S&P1. The name that was used during development was "Glass Soldier", alluding to the fact that the protag is fragile... Idk why, but ever since I read that interview, I always thought it would be cool if Isa (or Saki) is kinda on the glass cannon side (with awesome dodging abilities!).

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
So I finally got around to playing S&P Star Successor. I haven't been able to play very much though. It's my first game in it's genre and I must say I am very impressed with the gameplay. Having started playing the game and actually seeing Isa in game really makes me want to see him in Smash. Even more so than before. I would love to see him in HD (The Wii doesn't really do the artwork much justice :laugh:).

I really hope Isa (or at least Saki) makes it in to Smash 4. If at least one of them gets in as an assist trophy I will be ecstatic!

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah!

The games did not sell well relatively, but have critical success. What it does it does well. A lot of fun, and I hope to see Isa or Saki for the sake of the series going forward.

Last edited:

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Looks like proper Sin and Punishment representation got deconfirmed in the latest Direct. In the Assist Trophy section, Saki is labeled with a generic Smash logo. This likely means there will be no playable characters or stages from S&P in Smash 4.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I wouldn't worry about the logo. Remember Punch Out ring being a secret until properly revealed alongside Little Mac.

I grieved for a day. But I'm ready to support Isa Jo as the representative for Sin & Punishment, alongside Kachi.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Looks like proper Sin and Punishment representation got deconfirmed in the latest Direct. In the Assist Trophy section, Saki is labeled with a generic Smash logo. This likely means there will be no playable characters or stages from S&P in Smash 4.
they could be hiding the icon

sadly this is probably true. They didn't hide the pilotwings icon and the Mii icon but hid this...

Hong

The Strongest
I will never pretend I expect Isa as a character, but if they wanted to keep him a secret, it would be awfully silly to spoil it by having the logo in a video completely unrelated to him.

Not sure how competent the folks at Bandai Namco are, but I would never slip up like that, and I am convinced Sakurai wouldn't either. Masahiro Sakurai is many things, and among them is how to deliver the hype.

Top Bottom