• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starter or Unlockable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Some of us wonder why some characters are unlockable or starter, lets figure out how it works. Then we can figure out which characters could appear as unlockables.

Some characters appear as unlockables due to a few reasons:
-Obscurity
-Popularity

I'll list the characters that could be unlockable or starter. It's going to be pretty long.
I will just list this, since they need no reason why they will be starters.
Automatic Starters:
-Mario
-Link
-Kirby
-Samus
-Pikachu
-Samus
-Fox
-Yoshi
-Donkey Kong

Returning Starters, but probably won't be shown when SSB4 is revealed in this year's E3:
- Pit (KI: U came out recently, so why not bring Pit back a starter because we love him)
- Ice Climbers (A retro rep. Imagine this, think about a clueless gamer who played NES games only in his life, then immediately he sees Ice Climbers in Smash, Immediate nostalgia. This is probably what Sakurai is aiming for when it comes to retro reps. IC will be a starter again.)
- Zelda/Sheik (The Legend of Zelda franchise, I don't think this needs an explanation.)
- Diddy Kong (Since Donkey Kong Returns and the upcoming 3D port, it's a guarenteed comeback)
- Metaknight (Very popular and awesome character of the Kirby franchise, will return as a starter)
- King Dedede (See Metaknight)
- Olimar (Reason: Pikmin 3, a guarenteed return of a popular character)
- Wario (Reason: A popular rival of Mario, Game and Wario coming out soon, Wario is not going to be dismissed)
- Bowser (The villain of almost every Mario game, pretty sure he will return)
- Lucas ( The recent face of the Mother franchise, I think it's right that he should return)

The possibly returning but now unlockable:

Ness: Ness being unlockable again in Brawl is probably because Lucas. Mother 3 was extremely popular in Japan recent in 2006, because of it, Lucas was added as a starter character. Because Ness is the only Earthbound character known to everyone around the world (Since in the USA we only got Mother 2), it makes sense he still should be in the next Smash Bros as the generally known rep of the Earthbound Franchise. But since the release of Mother 2 on the virtual console on Wii U, it would probably mean he would be a starter again.

Captain Falcon: Unless the F-Zero franchise gets a revival, Captain Falcon will probably be unlockable again. This is probably the same reason he was unlockable in Brawl. Although, the F-Zero mini game in the Wii U game Nintendoland could possibly slighten that up to a starter

Ike: (See, new reps of Fire Emblem) He would be an unlockable though, since were all talking about Chrom and not Ike now. :troll:

Pokemon Trainer: But since Red represents how Pokemon started, he could stay and be a starter again.

Now lets talk about some of the previous unlockable characters:

Luigi: The brother of Mario, since it's the Year of Luigi, I bet Weegee is gonna return.:troll: (As an unlock able, since we all care for Mario). But if Weegee was a starter, then it's sign we will have a bigger roster.

Jigglypuff: Could possibly be replaced with a different Pokemon. But since Jiggz represents the start of Pokemon, Jiggz could be kept, as an unlockable still, since it's all about 6th and 5th generation today.

Ganondorf: The villain of the very popular Legend of Zelda franchise, it's a guaranteed return, as an unlockable still.

Toon Link: A possible return, because of Wind Waker HD. Will be unlock able, since we only care about our precious regular Link first.

R.O.B.: The same point I made about Ice Climbers, but instead unlockable.

Falco: This might be crazy, but Falco could be a starter if another Starfox rep was added (But the added rep depends on if Starfox has a new game). Talking about Falco as a starter still, it would feel weird if Fox was the only starter then we have 3 new Starfox reps, Fox would be overshadowed.

Wolf: The villain of Starfox, an unlockable. I think it's a tradition that Nintendo villains would be unlock able but not Bowser, since he's the most popular Nintendo villain.

Lucario: I don't think many people would care about him anymore. But since the Mewtwo's return in a Pokemon movie, the recently Popular Zoroark, soon a possible 6th gen rep, I think i'm sure he's not gonna return. (Unless the roster was bigger of course.)

Marth: Could be an unlockable, but since Marth had some roles in many FE games (and in the recent FE), I think it's possible he could be a starter. That's a slight chance of happening though. Were still talking about Chrom. :troll:

Mr. Game and Watch: The same point I made about R.O.B.

Snake and Sonic: as unlockables because they are third-party reps.

Now that I took care of the all the veteran characters, let's talk about the fate of unlockable or starters for some newcomers.

Palutena: Her chances are SUPER GUARENTEED, KI:U gave her the recent treatment of popularity. Because of it, it makes sense for her to be a starter.

Hades: As a second KI rep, probably not, as Palutena is blocking her way. But he did join he'll probably be unlockable just like the other villains.

Little Mac: Possibly might appear, since the Punch-Out Wii. Since the Wii game came out just a few years ago, it would makes sense for him to be a starter.

Isaac/Matthew: Possible, since the there was a recent Golden Sun game a few years ago, would make sense to make either of these guys starter. But I think only Matthew has a shot at appearing in SSB4, since he is the most recent protagonist of Golden Sun. (Ness appeared instead of Ninten in SSB64, I could argue)

Starfy: Possibly might appear, since The Legendary Starfy was known to everyone a few years ago. Could be a starter because of it though.

Saki/ Isa: Same point as Isaac and Matthew, only Isa might have a good chance of appearing.

Ridley: I'm pretty stuck about this one, since Sakurai preferred Ridley as a boss in Brawl. But there hasn't been a real (Not Zero Suit Samus, she's still Samus) new Metroid rep in a long time. Ridley has those good requirements to be a fighter. Probably will be a starter, since he's really popular.

Ghirahim: The most recent villain of Zelda has a good chance of appearing, should be a starter though IMO.

Takamaru: Takamaru is not well known to everyone, only in Japan. This relates to how Marth and Roy were unlockables in Melee. It's pretty easy to imagine that Takumaru would be unlockable too.

A new FE rep: This is possible because of the critical success of FE:A. Since Chrom is the recent face of FE, it's going to be him as a starter, not anyone else though.

Waddle Dee: I'm not so sure about him, but since he was playable in Return to Dreamland, theres too many things to consider. I think as a starter would the most sense.

Toad: Not too sure as Waddle Dee, But he is part of the Mario franchise (the big one), I guess it makes sense. He would be a starter to the most sense.

King K. Rool: If Sakurai were to want another DKC rep, it would be King K. Rool. But since Krool never appeared in the recent DKC, this might not happen at all. But he appeared in Smash, he would be an unlockable due to not appearing DKCR (DON'T USE MARIO SUPER SLUGGERS AS AN ARGUEMENT, sport games are never a good argument).

Dixie Kong: Same as King K. Rool, but maybe, just maybe, as an unlockable.

Lip: This is a difficult one, because Lip is not well known to everyone, yet she has an item to represent her series in Smash, yet her games never appeared outside of Japan, yet she was mentioned by Sakurai before that her game is really good. But if she appeared, It's possible she could be a unlockable, If there's no Panel De Pon featuring her at E3.

Krystal: If we had a new Starfox game featuring Krystal at this year's E3, she would be a starter, making Falco an unlockable instead.

Vaati: The only Zelda villain yet to make an appearance in Smash. if Vaati were to appear, then he would be an unlockable, then Toon Link would be in the game too, otherwise it would be so obscure.

Tingle: This guy is literally a joke character, I don't see him appearing as a character in Smash compared. But if he did, I would make him an unlockable just to prevent immediate rant. Maybe i'm being too mindless though.

Waluigi: This guy is pretty obscure, he has yet to show what he can really do (don't use sport arguments), didn't appear in the recent entry of the Mario Kart series(Just a quick little tidbit I wanted to mention, even though it driving is a sport), he probably won't appear in Smash. But if he did appear, I think it would be safe to make him an unlockable.

Bowser Jr: This guy, has yet to appear in Smash, yet has an awesome paintbrush that defines him. It would make the most sense for him to be a starter.

New F-Zero rep: Unless there is a new F-Zero game, there won't be one. but if there was, the rep would be unlock able and C. Falcon would be the starter.

Paper Mario: Since the recent Sticker Star, I think it's safe to have him on Smash. He could possibly be an unlock able, when you think about how Dr. Mario and Mario are basically the same, so Dr. Mario had to be unlockable to avoid obscurity.

Ninten: He actually has a hot shot at appearing in Smash, since he is the only and the first hero of the Mother series. He would be unlock able due to the fact not everyone knew about Ninten because Earthbound Zero was never released in Japan.

Porky: Porky is a stuck in the middle here. If Ninten were to be added, then Porky would not be added due to the fact he never appear in Mother 1. I don't think it would matter, but it just brings amount of awkwardness. He would be an unlockable, since were slightly fading away from the Earthbound franchise.

Claus: I really want him, but it's probably too late since adding a rep from Mother 3 would make 5-6 characters of the Earthbound franchise total, which is too much. But if he did appear, he would be an unlockable. (I WANT MOTHER 2.5 and MOTHER 1.5)

Groose: If Groose appear, I would be pissed that Ghirahim was not playable too. But if he appeared, it's super safe to say he would be starter.

Shulk: Although I never played Xenoblade, I heard so many good things about it. I think he should be unlockable though, but it recently became popular around the world, I wouldn't mind if he was a starter.

Banjo & Kazooie: There is an automatic argument, but if they appeaed in the game, they would be unlockable.

Hades/Viridi/Phosphora/Medusa: I'm really hmm.. about this one. But if they appeared, I would make them unlockable to avoid spoilers. :troll:

Mii: I don't think there would be any reason to add them, they are pretty uninteresting to me. But for sure they would be starter if they appeared.

Balloon Fighter/ Mach Rider: I heard there was a debate between adding Ice Climbers, Balloon Fighter, or Mach Rider as a retro rep in Melee. I would make both those guys starter.

Prince Sable: If picked as the retro, he would probably be a starter despite how obscure he is.

Duck Hunt Dog: It would be nice, he would represent the NES Zapper. He would be starter for nostalgic reasons.

New Pokemon Reps: I said it before about Pokemon Trainer and Lucario.

Alexandria Rovias: Maybe, but that I would feel would imbalance the roster greatly. But there was a recent trademark of the Eternal Darkness franchise. She could be unlockable due to not being known well.

Ray MK: I have no idea what the MK series are about, but I have a feeling we won't get a rep. But if we did, Ray MK would be unlockable.

E-Shop Reps: Some should be mentioned, Tempo, Dillon, and Mallo. They all have equal chances (But mostly Mallo and Dillon because they have sequels). Adding Tempo could hint a sequel of Harmoknight. They would be starters, since they appeared most recently.

Professor Layton: I would love for him to appear, I heard the creator of the Prof. Layton would love for him to appear. He would be a unlockable due to being a third party.

Bomberman: Have you played SSF2? Bomberman has been with Nintendo quite a few times (Most notably with Wario). He would be unlockable due to being a third party. Only scary feeling I'm having is that Bomberman could replace Snake, since he now belongs to Konami.

Geno: I love Geno, but everyone knows that he is owned by the one and only Square (P)enix. He would be unlockable due to being a third party character.

Pac-Man: This guy has crossed over with Mario a few times in karting (small point), the big well known icon of Namco. Should make sense for him to be an unlockable.

Rayman: I dunno, but IMO, adding Rayman would make the roster feel unbalanced. He would be unlock able due to being a third party character.

Now let's talk about some new, obscure reps we could never think of: *Note these guys are all unlockable due to being obscure.

Daitouryou: This guy is the only Nintendo ode that hasn't been represented in Smash. Will probably be an unlockable.

Nester: I said it a ton of times, this is to appreciate Nintendo Power. Will probably be an unlockable.

Captain N: Nintendo to represent cartoons? Probably will be unlockable.

Sheriff: Possible, being the first arcade Nintendo ever made makes it noteworthy. But will probably be an unlockable.

Console Bot: Honestly should appear in SSB5, I see that happening later. Probably an unlockable.

Ralph: If Ralph were to appear, then he would have had a movie sequel to release this year. Ralph will automatically be unlockable due to being a third party.

I got most of the characters down. Do you guys agree? I might add some more characters later.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The front post is HUGE. Seriously, tl;dr.

And please don't list anyone as cuts. This thread is about starter/unlockables; So instead, say that Doc and Roy would be unlockables if they appear.

GreenMunchkin

Smash Apprentice
No Rosalina???
Honestly, both SMG games are in the top 10 highest-selling wii games, so for them to NOT include a representative would be kinda idiotic. Rosalina is really the only good fit.
Also, I personally foresee either Ryu, Chun-Li, and possibly Dhalsim; or Mega Man/X, Zero, and maybe Roll/Sigma being included as moar Capcom.
Skull Kid would be an interesting Zelda addition.
Lastly, Toon Zelda or Tetra would be the best Wind Waker secondary in my (somewhat) humble opinion.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
No Rosalina???
Honestly, both SMG games are in the top 10 highest-selling wii games, so for them to NOT include a representative would be kinda idiotic. Rosalina is really the only good fit.
Also, I personally foresee either Ryu, Chun-Li, and possibly Dhalsim; or Mega Man/X, Zero, and maybe Roll/Sigma being included as moar Capcom.
Lastly, Toon Zelda or Tetra would be the best Wind Waker secondary in my (somewhat) humble opinion.
Rosalina is hardly requested compared to the other Mario characters in question, such as Bowser Jr., Toad, Waluigi, and Paper Mario. They don't need a character slot taken up to represent two games in a series with many more installments without Rosalina being in it at all.

I honestly think this thread might be more useful once we know more about the roster and who is going to be in the new game. some of these characters may not even show up.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No Rosalina???
Galaxy can be represented via a stage.

We are only getting one Capcom rep.

No Skull Kid.

Toon Link is enough.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I attempted to read the whole post, as if it was a swim in the ocean. I drowned when a tidal wave named 'replacement' came.

Couldn't hold my breath long enough.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I find it hilarious that he considers Doc and Roy as near impossible and Geno as a possibility.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
King K. Rool: If Sakurai were to want another DKC rep, it would be King K. Rool. But since Krool never appeared in the recent DKC, this might not happen at all. But he appeared in Smash, he would be an unlockable due to not appearing DKCR (DON'T USE MARIO SUPER SLUGGERS AS AN ARGUEMENT, sport games are never a good argument).
Lol....but i could see K Rool as an unlockable.

GreenMunchkin

Smash Apprentice
Rosalina is hardly requested compared to the other Mario characters in question, such as Bowser Jr., Toad, Waluigi, and Paper Mario. They don't need a character slot taken up to represent two games in a series with many more installments without Rosalina being in it at all.

I honestly think this thread might be more useful once we know more about the roster and who is going to be in the new game. some of these characters may not even show up.
I agree that Bowser Jr. w/paintbrush is the best Mario newcomer. However, Toad is a suggestion that I just shake my head at. Toad isn't a character that makes people go "OMG I WANT THIS GAME NAO TAKE MAI MONEYZ LOL," he is just a side-character like, say, Koopa Kids, or Waluigi. Are they interesting characters? Yes. Do any of them deserve slots? No. Whereas Rosalina was one of the main characters in Galaxy, if not THE main non-Mario/Luigi character.

Also, Paper Mario could be interesting, but no reason that three new Mario Reps can't make it.

Galaxy can be represented via a stage.

We are only getting one Capcom rep.

No Skull Kid.

Toon Link is enough.
Galaxy warrants at LEAST one stage and one character. I would love a Sunshine character, but I can't think of many characters who'd translate well into a smash game. Then again, C. Falcon was only in racing games before SSB, and he is now a star character. Pawnch.

Why? There is no reason that they wouldn't have two from the same game. Unless they do something absolutely idiotic, like reduce or even fail to increase roster size.

Young Link was Melee's representative of Majora's Mask, but with Toon Link, there's no reason for him to be included as well. Majora's Mask is a classic and well-recieved game, and Skull Kid could be made into an interesting character.

Once again, Zelda series has incredible potential. Two new Zelda reps would NOT be surprising to anyone who knows how popular the series is. Also, the tune of your post comes off as uninformed and jerk-ish, with no logical statements to back up your argument.

Good day sirs/madams, and remember the (CENSORED BY HUMANITY). :rosalina: will be approaching. :D

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Galaxy warrants at LEAST one stage and one character. I would love a Sunshine character, but I can't think of many characters who'd translate well into a smash game. Then again, C. Falcon was only in racing games before SSB, and he is now a star character. Pawnch.

Why? There is no reason that they wouldn't have two from the same game. Unless they do something absolutely idiotic, like reduce or even fail to increase roster size.

Young Link was Melee's representative of Majora's Mask, but with Toon Link, there's no reason for him to be included as well. Majora's Mask is a classic and well-recieved game, and Skull Kid could be made into an interesting character.

Once again, Zelda series has incredible potential. Two new Zelda reps would NOT be surprising to anyone who knows how popular the series is. Also, the tune of your post comes off as uninformed and jerk-ish, with no logical statements to back up your argument.

Good day sirs/madams, and remember the (CENSORED BY HUMANITY). :rosalina: will be approaching. :D
If Galaxy requires a character than every other successful Mario game deserved one. It's got to stop somewhere. If Rosalina appears in more succesful games than I'd be all for her. But she's not even remembered in spinoffs (aside from Mario Kart but Mario Kart's roster is random).

There is a rule that we will only get one 3rd party per company. For Capcom it will most likely be Megaman.

Why does Majora's mask need representation? A stage sure, but we got that with Great Bay. A one time character? Heck no. Like I said with the Galaxy argument, if one successful Zelda game REQUIRES a character than they all do!

Zelda will get lucky if we get one new character. And it will probably be Ghirahim, Impa or Tingle (dead serious). There are major no recurring characters aside from Impa and Tingle left and Ghirahim only has recency going for him. Zelda deserves more but the problem is who it would be?

A recurring character important to the entire series?

A recurring character who started his own successful series?

A recent and popular villain?

Or a one shot character who has really been addressed since?

It will not be the 4th option. That is my logic.

Jerkish? I was trying to be nice. :/ You're logic has big holes in it...

And now that I have explained my logic there should be no problems.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Come on guys! This thread doesn't really serve any purpose I can see other than to start bad vibes and flames and stuff. We've got a roster discussion thread, let's take a civil discussion there. I get that the idea of the thread is to talk about which characters you think'll be unlockable, but we might wanna hold off on that til we at least know more about the game.

GreenMunchkin

Smash Apprentice
If Galaxy requires a character than every other successful Mario game deserved one. It's got to stop somewhere. If Rosalina appears in more succesful games than I'd be all for her. But she's not even remembered in spinoffs (aside from Mario Kart but Mario Kart's roster is random).

There is a rule that we will only get one 3rd party per company. For Capcom it will most likely be Megaman.

Why does Majora's mask need representation? A stage sure, but we got that with Great Bay. A one time character? Heck no. Like I said with the Galaxy argument, if one successful Zelda game REQUIRES a character than they all do!

Zelda will get lucky if we get one new character. And it will probably be Ghirahim, Impa or Tingle (dead serious). There are major no recurring characters aside from Impa and Tingle left and Ghirahim only has recency going for him. Zelda deserves more but the problem is who it would be?

A recurring character important to the entire series?

A recurring character who started his own successful series?

A recent and popular villain?

Or a one shot character who has really been addressed since?

It will not be the 4th option. That is my logic.

Jerkish? I was trying to be nice. :/ You're logic has big holes in it...

And now that I have explained my logic there should be no problems.
I understand your logic for Rosalina. I, and many others think she warrants a slot, but there's ALSO a large group who doesn't. My logic is that there were two Galaxy games, both of which are in the top 10 selling AND top ten rated wii games, so having a character would make sense. Rosalina isn't a better character (even she's one of my favorites) than any other mario character, but she's the only representative of Galaxy who has anyone rooting for her to make it into SSB4. Agree to disagree.

Didn't understand that was a rule. Can you link me? Either way, point taken.

*Sigh*, Young Link WAS Majora's Mask representation, but he got replaced. Not unreasonable to think that they will have anotther MM character.

Either way, you provided logic, so I can't complain.

PS: Everyone keeps saying "*Sakurai laughs," is this just a reference to him adding tripping, or is it referencing a specific video? Can someone who knows tell me/link me to the video if possible?

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I understand your logic for Rosalina. I, and many others think she warrants a slot, but there's ALSO a large group who doesn't. My logic is that there were two Galaxy games, both of which are in the top 10 selling AND top ten rated wii games, so having a character would make sense. Rosalina isn't a better character (even she's one of my favorites) than any other mario character, but she's the only representative of Galaxy who has anyone rooting for her to make it into SSB4. Agree to disagree.

Didn't understand that was a rule. Can you link me? Either way, point taken.

*Sigh*, Young Link WAS Majora's Mask representation, but he got replaced. Not unreasonable to think that they will have anotther MM character.

Either way, you provided logic, so I can't complain.

PS: Everyone keeps saying "*Sakurai laughs," is this just a reference to him adding tripping, or is it referencing a specific video? Can someone who knows tell me/link me to the video if possible?
Bowser Jr. was in that game too, as was Toad. Rosalina was barely in the second game. She doesn't warrant a character slot at all. So many more deserve it above her.

It's an assumed thing between many speculators here on the boards.

It is unreasonable to think we will get one. Smash is Nintendo's all stars. and if it's zelda series, it should be the all stars of Zelda: Link, Zelda, Ganondorf. Big three. As am add on we got Toon Link. Other big players are Vaati, Tingle and Impa. Tingle's first game is MM, so that would be your one. But not skull kid. and yes I agree that he could be a sick and very interesting character. However, he is a puppet of the mask itself and is rather minor in comparison to the other three not already in. An assist trophy though. Now that would be a pretty cool assist trophy.

Can't help you with the last part sadly.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It is unreasonable to think we will get one. Smash is Nintendo's all stars. and if it's zelda series, it should be the all stars of Zelda: Link, Zelda, Ganondorf. Big three. As am add on we got Toon Link. Other big players are Vaati, Tingle and Impa. Tingle's first game is MM, so that would be your one. But not skull kid. and yes I agree that he could be a sick and very interesting character. However, he is a puppet of the mask itself and is rather minor in comparison to the other three not already in. An assist trophy though. Now that would be a pretty cool assist trophy.

Can't help you with the last part sadly.
By bold sentence's logic, choices like Jigglypuff and Ike aren't worthy of being characters. In addition, while they got cut, Dr. Mario, PIchu and Roy were also chosen. Sure, those Pokemon are popular in their own right (or were) but that didn't make them big stars. Technically, Ike's chances of being in Brawl were nearly the same as Rosalina right now. However, I support Jr. But wait a minute, don't we already have a roster thread to discuss these things in?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ness and Captain Falcon should be starters again, especially in the dilemma where a new F-Zero rep is considered.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Palutena and Shulk are virtually already confirmed to be in the game and virtually guaranteed to be starters.

Everyone else is very iffy.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i wouldnt say Shulk is as good as confirmed. he's def got a really good shot but i could still see him missing the cut. Palutena is most likely though.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
i wouldnt say Shulk is as good as confirmed. he's def got a really good shot but i could still see him missing the cut. Palutena is most likely though.
New first party franchise in which it seems Nintendo are trying to make into their equivalent of final fantasy. They will want to plug it in every way possible.
Has a single main protagonist who fits the game perfectly.

The only minor negative I can think of is it's popularity is not huge yet because it's a new series. But this is void as his inclusion would be partly to increase the games popularity.
I just don't see any way he will miss out.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
New first party franchise in which it seems Nintendo are trying to make into their equivalent of final fantasy. They will want to plug it in every way possible.
Has a single main protagonist who fits the game perfectly.

The only minor negative I can think of is it's popularity is not huge yet because it's a new series. But this is void as his inclusion would be partly to increase the games popularity.
I just don't see any way he will miss out.
i didnt say he wouldnt show up. i can just easily see him missing out. fitting into Smash doesnt really matter at all because that def didnt help the likes of Isaac or Ray any, and like u said the series isnt really a huge seller right now. i just dont put that much hope into him cause there's always that good chance that he'll be overlooked. but if he made it he would def be a starter i do agree

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Ness and Captain Falcon should be starters again, especially in the dilemma where a new F-Zero rep is considered.
Thanks for being on topic, and I agree.
E3 should bring out the rest of the ice berg Reggie was talking about:
They should show these:
- New F-Zero
- New Starfox
- Mother 1+2+3 Remix
- Localized game of a new title of the Muramase franchise.

This could possibly relate to the plans of SSB4.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh this looks like fun. Here is my guess. (BTW. The characters I'm listing here aren't necessarily ones I want to see and of course I'm not expecting that many characters in the game, just me guessing which characters would be starters or unlockable)

Starter Newcomers

* Palutena
* King K Rool
* Balloon Fighter
* Muddy Mole
* Takamaru
* Chrom
* Mona
* Mallo
* Starfy
* Kururin
* Shulk
* Bowser jr
* Animal Crossing rep
* Ninten
* Ray MK
* Toad
* Isaac/Matthew

Unlockable Newcomers

* Paper Mario
* Rosalina
* Waluigi
* Tingle
* Toon Zelda/Tetra
* Ghirahim
* Impa
* Ganon
* Ridley
* Medusa
* Zoroark
* 6th gen pokemon rep
* Lyn
* Krystal
* Lip
* Dillon
* Second Pikmin rep
* Any other Wario Ware rep
* Any Eartbound/Mother rep
* Second F-Zero rep
* Any Third Party
* Sin & Punishment main character
* Mii
* Captain Rainbow
* Jill Dozer
* Sukapon
* Tempo

Yeah the unlockable list is longer, I don't know really most characters just feel like unlockable material to me for some reason... :/

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
By bold sentence's logic, choices like Jigglypuff and Ike aren't worthy of being characters. In addition, while they got cut, Dr. Mario, PIchu and Roy were also chosen. Sure, those Pokemon are popular in their own right (or were) but that didn't make them big stars. Technically, Ike's chances of being in Brawl were nearly the same as Rosalina right now. However, I support Jr. But wait a minute, don't we already have a roster thread to discuss these things in?
Jigglypuff not really, but she's not going anywhere. And Ike has been the main Lord in 2 FE games. He is indeed an all star. Those were chosen to buff up the roster. And Roy is at least different with his sword and could be different Pichu and the Doc are the same character (or a past form of pikachu in Pichu's case) and no. that's not even close to true. Ike is a huge player in 2 games and been in Brawl. Rosalina is a major helper in one and minor appearence in another. And hasn't been in smash at all. They can not be compared at all. I don't even know where the Bowser Jr. thing came from.

ManBearPig said:
Palutena and Shulk are virtually already confirmed to be in the game and virtually guaranteed to be starters.

Everyone else is very iffy.
No they're really not. ... oh thought you said Starfy... okay i almost raged at that.
I don't think we can say they're guaranteed. They definitely have higher chances, but not guaranteed. As much as I'd love to see Shulk in.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
And hasn't been in smash at all. They can not be compared at all. I don't even know where the Bowser Jr. thing came from.
My bad on clarification there, it does seem a little iffy. I was really just clarifying that I'm not a diehard supporter of Rosalina at all, and would prefer Jr. as a Mario rep. However, as this thread is still going I think I'll pull my posts more on topic!

Starters:

Mario
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Wario
Yoshi
Link
Pikachu
Samus/Zamus
Ridley
Kirby
MK
Dedede (I really don't see a reason for any Kirby rep to be unlockable.)
Olimar
DK
Diddy
Ness
Captain Falcon (I expect another F-Zero rep, at least possibly. Having CF as a starter is a good way to encourage that, making the new rep unlockable.)
Pit
Palutena (Same thing with Kirby reps.)
Zelda/Sheik
PT
Fox
Little Mac
Isaac
Ice Climbers
Takamaru
Marth
Ike (I expect Roy and/or Chrom as unlockables)

Good lord. That's like 31 starters. Makes sense though. We had, what? 19 in Brawl? (Counting PT's 'Mons, Zamus and Sheik) with a total of 39 playable characters? Makes sense to me.

Unlockables:

Dr. Mario*
Luigi*
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong*
Ganondorf (WW or otherwise)*
Toon Link*
Falco*
Wolf*
Jiggs
Mewtwo
Lucario
Lucas*
Samurai Goroh/Black Shadow (I don't care who, just give us another F-Zero rep already)
Roy and or Chrom (As mentioned above.)*
Saki
G&W
ROB
Sonic
Snake
Mega Man

And that's 21 unlockables, making for an overall roster of 51. Probably more characters than we can truly expect, but I think it actually is a reasonable number, give or take a couple additions.

*This is the marker for Luigi-fied or simply clone characters both. I feel like clones and Luigi characters are good candidates for unlocking, because they provide both a different face, and a different take on a character you're already familiar with. It adds to the depth and interest of the game without forcing you to delve too far from a playstyle you're familiar with. Unless you pick Isaac or Palutena or the Ice Climbers. There's others to.

TL;DR: Clones are good unlockables. Also a few uniques in there, and the 3rd parties. *I* think it's a good list.

I also feel like Sakurai might want to do justice to some forgotten Melee veterans in Smash 4 for reasons beyond my understanding. Hence why Doc, Mewtwo and Roy are there. Yay!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
For newcomers, I decided to refer to Golden's Chart, but didn't add all of them, only those which imo have a comparatively better chance.

Here goes:
[COLLAPSE="Starters"]Mario*
Bowser*
Peach*
Toad
Link*
Zelda/Sheik*
Tingle
DK*
Diddy*
Yoshi*
Wario*
Kirby*
MK*
Dedede*
Samus/ZSS*
Ridley
Ice Climbers*
Olimar*
Lucas*
Captain Falcon*
Pit*
Palutena
Fox*
Isaac
Marth*
Ike*
Little Mac
Takamaru
Pikachu*
PT*
Dillon
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Unlockables"]Luigi*
Bowser Jr.
Waluigi
Paper Mario
Dr. Mario
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool
Toon Link*
Toon Zelda/Tetra/Toon Sheik
Ghirahim
Impa
Dark Samus
Anthony Higgs
Krystal
Wolf*
Falco*
Waddle Dee
Jigglypuff*
Lucario*
Mewtwo
Zoroark
Victini
Genesect
Slyveon
Samurai Goroh
Black Shadow
Roy
Chrom
Anna
Palutena
Ashley
Mona
Pikmin 3 captain
Animal Crossing Villager
Saki
Starfy
Shulk
ROB*
G&W*
Any 3rd parties
[/COLLAPSE]

The (*) indicates Brawl veterans. I used it so that I don't forget any of them while making the list. :p

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I expected an argument. Very glad it wasn't, my mindset is just... ugh.. i dont like it.

I shall post mine then.

Starters:
Original 8
Ness
Captain Falcon
Peach
Bowser
Zelda/Sheik
Ice Climbers
Marth or Ike
Meta Knight
Pit
Diddy Kong
Olimar
Pokemon Trainer
ZSS
(New)
Palutena
Little Mac
Takamaru
King K. Rool
Dillon (less likely, my roster is a mess currently)

(I like to start out with as few as possible to unlock even more)

Unlockables:
Luigi
Jigglypuff
Mr. Game and Watch
Ganondorf
Falco
Mewtwo
Ike or Marth
Roy
Wario
King Dedede
Lucario
Sonic
Snake
Wolf
R.O.B.
Toon Link
Megaman
Ridley
Chrom
Shulk
Saki
Isaac
Dixie
Samurai Goroh

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's very interesting to see how the variations are ever so slight in each of our lists.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
i didnt say he wouldnt show up. i can just easily see him missing out. fitting into Smash doesnt really matter at all because that def didnt help the likes of Isaac or Ray any, and like u said the series isnt really a huge seller right now. i just dont put that much hope into him cause there's always that good chance that he'll be overlooked. but if he made it he would def be a starter i do agree
I'm actually going to do a complete 360 and agree with you.
Just because Xenoblade 2 is due out soon and they could introduce a new protagonist who makes the cut instead of Shulk.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm actually going to do a complete 360 and agree with you.
Just because Xenoblade 2 is due out soon and they could introduce a new protagonist who makes the cut instead of Shulk.
I wouldn't necessarily say that it's due out soon. They've only revealed one trailer. It could even be a possibility that Shulk shows up in it, and it might not even be named Xenoblade 2.

I wouldn't doubt that it will come out before Smash Bros. 4 though.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Starters:

Mario
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr
Wario
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Link
Zelda/Shiek
Tingle
Kirby
King Dedede
Fox
Samus/Zamus
Ridley
Ice Climbers
Pikachu
Pokemon Trainer
New Fire Emblem Rep
Lucas
Little Mac
Pit
Isaac
Shulk

Unlockables:

Luigi
Dr. Mario
King K Rool
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Impa
Metaknight
Falco
Wolf
ROB
Marth
Roy
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Lucario/New Pokemon
Ness
Captain Falcon
Mr Game & Watch
Takamaru
Mii
Sheriff
Sonic
Snake
Megaman
Pac-Man

50 total characters

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
I have two possible theories for hidden characters:

1. Sakurai wants more hidden newcomers than Brawl. There can't be too many secret characters, so if a good bit of them are newcomers, then it would make sense to promote some of the secret characters from Brawl to starters (Marth, Toon Link, Lucario, maybe Luigi...though Sakurai's comment has me thinking otherwise).

2. Sakurai doesn't want more than two hidden characters from the same series. Give Lucario starter status, and make Jigglypuff and Mewtwo/Pokemon newcomer hidden. Give Toon Link starter status, and make Ganondorf and a Zelda newcomer hidden.

I could be wrong (I probably wrong), but I feel as though one of these is the case.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It's funny looking back at the posts about how we used to think of Rosalina.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I just really don't agree with people saying that Toon Link may be unlockable.
I would bet my account that he is.
Key word would. I'm not going to.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's funny looking back at the posts about how we used to think of Rosalina.
Yeah, makes me want to see some of the other older posts people made in regards to which characters people considered "impossible" only for them to be in anyway. Specifically the Rosalina and Toon Link ones. :p

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Made some changes to the OP to remove some of the parts about cuts. Will probably add more characters soon. I might refine the list of newcomers in the OP soon.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
As I stated in the other topic, I wouldn't be too surprised if Marth became a starter character this time around. Revealing him so early might help indicate so. There didn't really seem to be any promotional reason to reveal him when Sakurai did, so it seems like he just revealed him to reveal him.

But that's not where my logic behind thinking this lays. I'm thinking more that Marth is the 'default' Fire Emblem rep. Should the default rep really be unlockable?

Logic Sakurai sadly did not follow. =(

(Well aside from mentioning Waluigi, who is not a canon character in any sense, and...didn't even make it into Mario Kart 7 lol)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Just a few things about this

1. More newcomers might have to be unlocked than the veterans
  2. Sakurai hates spoilers so and first timers just getting ruined by youtube videos of SSE gameplay which had spoilers
  3. So form 2 he might reveal all characters so there are no spoilers for first timers on super smash bros 4
  4. And from 3 he will reveal which ones and how to get the unlockable characters after the game is release and when everyone gets revealed
So anyway this is my guess with veterans an newcomers (and all veterans are in but only if confirmed)

Starters
:mario2:
:yoshi2:
:warioc:
:bowser2:
:peach:
:samus2::zerosuitsamus:
:pit:
:kirby2:
:metaknight:
:dedede:
:olimar:
:dk2:
:diddy:
:link2:
:sheilda:
:fox:
:pikachu2:
:pt:
:popo:
:lucas:
Wii fit trainer
Villager
Little mac
Dixie kong

Unlockables
:luigi2:
Rosalina
:marth:
:ike:(Yes I do believe he can be transfered to unlockable)
:jigglypuff:
:mewtwopm:
:lucario:
:sonic:
:snake:
:rob:
:wolf:
:falco:
:ness2:
:gw:
:toonlink:
:ganondorf: