• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(」・ω・)」 MARS la Marf in Smash 4 (/・ω・)/

C.J.

Smash Master
sup quest.

guys, my controller is being weird and f-rolling whenever i try to dash--->shield. only when i go left though. any solutions?
Your analog stick isn't resetting to neutral properly. So, even thought you think it is in neutral, it's still slightly tilted left when you input shield. You, as a result, roll. Open it up, tighten the analog stick.

preview of potential Marth advice thread. if i get positive feedback on this one i'll write more

Getting Grabs:

Marth is exceedingly strong because he gets grabs real easy. The more tippers you land the more pressured your opponent is to shield or dodge. Since you're a mid level player, most people will default to just shielding, which allows you to open them up. Many marths lack "fluidity" because they're not conscious of the grab option. Learn to love marth's sword not only as a tool that directly deals damage but also as a tool that sets you up for grabs.
Easily* goddammit

marth is boring why do people play him

only fun on smashville
He's pretty to look at.

Yeah it's great that he's doing this (he's always really helpful with data and character analysis)...I just think he shouldn't specifically target it towards any certain level of player
I completely disagree. Otherwise you have people that are midlevel trying to incorporate things they see Ramin/Leon/Mike/MikeNeko/etc do and they don't fully understand why and how it works, even if you explain it to them, due to lack of understanding. Then they complain that it doesn't work, and they post matches asking for help, and then I just link my giant thread at them.

It does more harm than good to be general. Be specific to the level of the people.

quest you give me too much credit >.>

i'll make more posts soon
Yes he does.

Maybe I should too.

/continuingexileafterlosing$100
Miss you!

clowsui, the "grab or fair" reaction speed trap is perfect for a reason :p
One of my favorite mix-ups.

Can we encourage Marths to spike more? Spiking is fun and too pro.
No goddammit. Only Vato can do that... and only on the left.

Marths are so rare that it feels almost impossible to ever marth ditto...

Not as impossible as a Samus or DK ditto, though...
You've never been to Florida or Socal then.

It's all Nike's fault, Shaya. :applejack:
Nah, he's better now.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Well, if you ever see my Marth in action (friendly probably, not so much tourny), you'll see a lot of spike attempts.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Claim:
I completely disagree.
Justification:

oh wait there IS no relevant justification :rolleyes:
Otherwise you have people that are midlevel trying to incorporate things they see Ramin/Leon/Mike/MikeNeko/etc do and they don't fully understand why and how it works, even if you explain it to them, due to lack of understanding. Then they complain that it doesn't work, and they post matches asking for help, and then I just link my giant thread at them.
^ this is the slippery slope fallacy and is therefore invalid
It does more hard than good to be general.
Evidence:

...YEAH NONE THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT
Be specific to the level of the people.
Bad idea for obvious reasons.
-people can't assess their own skill levels accurately
-giving advice that isn't the highest level won't help them beat good people in tourney

-argument defeated-

C.J.

Smash Master
Claim:

Justification:

oh wait there IS no relevant justification :rolleyes:

^ this is the slippery slope fallacy and is therefore invalid

Evidence:

...YEAH NONE THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT
Bad idea for obvious reasons.
-people can't assess their own skill levels accurately
-giving advice that isn't the highest level won't help them beat good people in tourney

-argument defeated-
Okay, wow.
1) I did give justification... which you acknowledged by arguing with it? You literally just said "You didn't give any justification for your point of view. Now, I'm going to go argue against the justification you gave."

2) It's not slippery slope because I'm not assuming what will happen. I'm saying it has, and does happen- all the time. I get texts, IMs, PMs, FB messages, etc from a large number of people, on a regular basis, asking why when they do *insert Ramin/Leon thing here* it never seems to work out for them.

3) People, unless they're bad to an extreme level (i.e. they're just joining/don't know about the competitive scene), are typically alright at judging their own skill level, assuming they genuinely want to improve. For simplicity's sake, I'm ignoring those that have "best kid on the block" syndrome as they don't think they need to improve and would be less inclined to look. So, ignoring those, and ignoring those that are fresh, we're left with people who know about the scene, the levels of play, and want to get better. While they may not be completely accurate, they still are likely to be able to judge themselves well.

4) There's a difference between the best advice you can give someone and the best advice there is. You don't tell someone who is still practicing spacing fairs about frame traps out of grounded grab releases by using dtilt. If you do, they'll get into a match and they'll try to do that stuff instead of focusing where they should be- on their fundamentals.

You don't tell a Snake main to learn to SDI his own C4 when recovering to make it more difficult for their opponent to footstool them until they know how to C4 recover consistently and are able to DI well enough to live consistently. Otherwise they run the very real risk of C4 recovering, trying to SDI, missing/pulling a Nikita instead of detonating C4/not being able to DI in the right direction because they're so focused on SDIing the C4.

Chi says you're a decent player so I'm going to assume that you know about C4 recovering-> tech-> Breverse grenade as a recovery option for Snake, yes? Would you tell a new player to just learn how to do it, or would you tell them that it's not important right now- focus on just teching the stage consistently?
I don't know about you, but everyone I know would certainly do the latter.... which is giving advice to the level of the player instead of in general.

Have you seriously never heard the phrase "You need to walk before you can run" before? Because that's all this is- you teach them what is appropriate for their level of play so that they can preform it, move up the levels, and then they learn what is then appropriate for their new level of play.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Dis quest ***** dont know

You don **** wit cj in an argument or u get bodayyyyyed like dat LMFAO

Cj are you going to the nll????

:phone:

C.J.

Smash Master

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Give me some time to gather my thoughts. It's been a long time since I last saw a listing of the logical fallacies used against something and me picking apart the fallacies too. For all I know, my objections may not even be plausible (to most). It's an explanation I will have to choose my words carefully for. ^_^'

Right now, I have stuff to attend to but I will elaborate.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Dis quest ***** dont know

You don **** wit cj in an argument or u get bodayyyyyed like dat LMFAO
LOL I'm not the one getting bodayyyyyed ;)

I took this to PMs since people probably don't want to see this in the thread haha. But yeah, everyone is entitled to high level advice and they will be able to master different skills with practice.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
How was that causing drama? o_o I put it in a collapse tag since Nike and Espy wanted to see. It's a social thread xD

whatever. I'll talk about something "mod appropriate." What's your favorite matchup and why?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Yeah Shaya, quit being a butt about it. He didn't really even do anything wrong outside of rustlin' up CJ a bit. :applejack:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm dormant at the moment, so probably not.
I got some stuff from WHOBO4. That's about it. Just search on Youtube. :applejack:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
You've never been to Florida or Socal then.
No, and that makes me sad :c....
afaik, Socal plays Marth dittos just for fun, few people actually use him in tournament (wating to be proven wrong again)

C.J.

Smash Master
Marth dittos are fun!

But yeah, in tourney pretty much only Mike and Eric go Marth.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Quest, why do you think Nike didn't get better until talking to CJ? Looooool

C.J.

Smash Master
eric doesn't use marth at MK legal does he?
Not really, no. But he'll randomly play him vs Mike if Mike is having a super hot day vs MK or something like that.

As a general rule though, no, Eric doesn't play Marth in MK legal often at all.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
For some reason I found that strikingly hilarious and laughed in the middle of a library.

Oh god they're looking at me.

C.J.

Smash Master
Aaron, it probably should have said something along the lines of "When Nike and C.J. started talking a lot more, in conjunction with Nike going to tournaments frequently, Nike started improving at a much quicker pace than he had previously."

This is a stupid conversation. Someone tell me what I should write about- philosophy, smash (I'll take suggestions on specific topics), weight loss again, psychology, etc. I need ideas since I almost have a project done!

:phone:

Mr-R

Smash Champion
Keep it to pms, don't cause drama. Thanks.
How is that drama ?!!? I think I speak for everyone when I saw everyone is curious what quest and C.J's thought procces behind this is

Top Bottom