• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(」・ω・)」 MARS la Marf in Smash 4 (/・ω・)/

mosesrko24

Smash Apprentice
Neo: You should join the AIB ladder.

But on topic: How do you guys think Marth should be played in teams? Does EL's old melee marth doubles

thread still apply?

Asimio

Smash Apprentice
yeah I lost to rhyme, i feel I should have won, especially if i didn't kill myself twice. he's probably a better player than me, but I feel should have won simply cus its samus. props to him though, i made up for it in losers anyway

game 1 he gimped me at like 6% cus i was stupid off stage
game 2 i two stocked him on battlefield
then he won on game 3 and i died like mid percent to stage change on delfino. samus also has a few tricks on delfino which i now know about, probalby should have banned it.
Oh well, next time.

Still though,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gCSaAtNvj8&feature=related listen to that and get your adrenaline levels higher next time. :bee:

clowsui

Smash Legend
My pool experience:

The Kiest (Kirby) -- Lost 1-2
COMMENTS: I got swallowcided on game 1, then I got angry and stopped thinking even though I was predicting him VERY well. Game 2 I won on YI, Game 3 he picked Distant Planet (if this is available, always ban this; at least Brinstar's lava can save you...DP just stops your zoning PERIOD)

At this point I got rather angry because I lost to him when I CLEARLY could have beaten him. I thus moved on to my next match.

Mister Erics (ROB) Lost 0-2
COMMENTS: Not much to say here, he telegraphed a lot of stuff and I didn't punish him for it because I got scared. He kept rising Nair and I kept forgetting to FSmash or Counter. For not having any ROB experience I did well though, always down to last hit last stock and he has a LOT of Marth experience b/c he teams w/ Xisin and plays with him a lot.

My anger stayed because I felt as though I could've beaten Eric....thus I moved on, once again, anger bubbling inside me:

Schwa (Marth, DDD) Won 2-1
COMMENTS: 2-stocked him game one because I have a LOT of experience w/ the ditto esp. on neutrals. Game 2 fooled around w/ Sheik on Delfino when he switched to DDD...I kept attacking his shield. Game 3, FD vs. his DDD where I was Falco so it was over at that point (though it was close...I wasn't nearly campy enough at the end).

No more confident than before, I proceeded to face Bowyer.

Bowyer Lost 0-2
COMMENTS: He SD'd as Fox game one. It then became very difficult to take him seriously...so I ended up playing unintelligently and losing to him by about a 30% margin. He banned FD, I picked Falco and SV. He beat me pretty handily on his last stock because I didn't camp NEARLY hard enough.

At this point I started to care less and less because I got pissed. I went and played Lou, a GW.

Lou (GW) Lost 0-2
COMMENTS: Went BF both games, lost both games because I didn't use shield enough + I kept running into his BAirs. Always close though.

I was PISSED because I lost to a GW when I knew I could easily demolish him if I chose to, he was playing really bad that day too. At this point I had no hope of getting out of pools, so I largely ****** around in my next two matches, not ever going Marth and just playing Sheik and Falco (though I do main Falco in part).

Lain had good things to say about my Marth, but also isolated some problems:
1. I overuse DB
2. I do not abuse grab options enough
3. I am not nearly aggressive enough (aggressive as in putting on pressure)
4. I don't edgeguard well
5. I am too impatient sometimes

Xisin added the last piece of advice, telling me that I was not always "spacing with the sword" - that I hit with the middle of the blade too often because I'm not visualizing the space at which the tip shall strike. This happened with Falco too; I noted this to myself as I kept hitting incorrect lasers (ex: b-reversing instead of correctly pivoting, always lasering at a specific height), attacking opponents' shields without spacing correctly, not always getting a ledge grab (more of a problem with Marth though).

Overall at this tournament I noticed the following things without their input:
1. I get angry too easily. Anger always detracts from your play, especially if it's as unfocused as mine. Focused anger can actually be helpful, as in the case of Forward.
2. I am too hasty for kills as Falco or Marth. Both characters' durability is rather variable, yet I somehow manage to ignore this and continue getting nervous for kills.
3. I lose track of thinking during the games, especially if I'm down a stock or a couple tens of percentages. This ties into my nervousness thing. It's more common during stock disadvantages, but if I panic I forget to keep track of the opponent's habits and general poor spacing errors. This happened during The Kiest on his last stock.
4. I john too much. 'nuff said.

I'm taking this tournament as a learning experience. I'm reminded once again of just how bad I am and how much I still have to play. NoJ has only become what he is because he played in a lot of tournaments despite having no Wii. I have to attend much more if I'm going to continue to not have a Wii, and even if I do have a Wii I will need to practice my control and my matchups over Wifi. It's clear to me that I am not a TERRIBLE, hopeless player by any means but I have some big problems that I need to work on. Hopefully I can attend a tournament in California while I'm there so that I can expose myself to a completely new competitive atomsphere.

A SUMMARY OF MY PROBLEMS:
1. Anger
2. Impatience
3. Loss of control (both character and mind)
4. Hastiness

Hopefully I can perform better for you guys next time, especially on livestream.

clowsui

Smash Legend
It's not only the SD, it's his reactions ROFL
He laughs at EVERYTHING and his expression is hilarious

@Junk: WTF? I purposely tried not to john in that post...what counts as johnskis? :/

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Down percent and your opponent thinks he's cool and starts to aggress you?
**** with dtilt to dancing blade!

Down percent and your opponent thinks he's really really cool and starts to camp you?
**** with dtilts to dancing blade, and hope they aren't snake or meta knight.

Patience is epic. Like when after you dtilt them you wait for a split moment and if they jump, dsmash their ****, or if they roll dancing blade their ****, or if they attack, dolphin slash their ****, or if they spot dodge charge a shieldbreaker on their **** ... or dancing blade their... ****, or if they go for a sweeping poke type move sh retreating fair their ****, or if they go for a swooshing thrusting damaging type move, sh retreating nair their ****.

And there folks, is the meaning of how to be the best Marth in the world.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Dunno about Roy, but Marf is in his early teens during the prologue, when his **** gets wrecked, but they never really say how many years later the main game starts. There's no prologue in the NES version, but in the DS remake he's significantly older (longer face, less baby fat on the face, etc.). Smash Bros Marth actually looks more like barely-pubescent prologue Marth.
Oh didn't know that :)

Lol i like the use of the term "baby fat".

Yeah I wasn't really surprised when I first saw Marth's new appearance, I sort of liked it, but now that you mention it, it seems like they tried to make him look really manly like Ike was... I prefer him being younger/more feminine XD

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Talking about spamming bair, have you guys noticed that Marth is one of the few characters who doesn't constantly use his Bair to space and set up brickwalls, and instead he uses a differente aerial, which is Fair?

Bowyer, I like your sig! :D

clowsui

Smash Legend
<3 Bowyer
I'll get you with my Falco next time
I didn't camp the **** out of you like I thought I would...way too difficult against a long faced blond white man

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
I most definitely spam B-air. Better range and stronger knock-back that F-air, what's not to like? (other than worse landing lag, its slower, and has longer ending lag). Seriously though, I spam B-air.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I appreciate my Bair's kill power. Also ADHD was at my house today, and I confirmed that I still beat Diddy. He's gotten MUCH better though, I only managed to three stock him once. :laugh:

All **** talk aside though, he's gotten much better. Props going out to little monkey. He's MUCH more even with me now than he used to be, and the match-up is in my favor. **** that little peanut popgun. Fairing and catching peanuts is so ANNOYING.

EDIT: And how many times do I have to go over this. Bair hits from low to high, so it's good for opponent's above you, since Bair doesn't auto-cancel, so hitting a low opponent is hard, especially if they're grounded. Fair crushes down from above, so it's excellent for hitting targets below you. Considering that you are jumping, this is probably your more popular option. Also, you can FF, because it auto-cancels.

clowsui

Smash Legend
BTW pierce you should put lain in MBR =P His Marth is actually really good! 'cept he does dumb stuff sometimes. But then you forgive him, because he says "oh no!" and has this really cute face/tone of voice while saying so (no homo)

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Talking about spamming bair, have you guys noticed that Marth is one of the few characters who doesn't constantly use his Bair to space and set up brickwalls, and instead he uses a differente aerial, which is Fair?

Bowyer, I like your sig! :D
I most definitely spam B-air. Better range and stronger knock-back that F-air, what's not to like? (other than worse landing lag, its slower, and has longer ending lag). Seriously though, I spam B-air.
umm fair has a better range lol
I thought Bair had better range than Fair?
I spam my fair as an approach and use bair as a killing move. it stays fresh and the tipper is easy.

Fair
Hit: 4-8
End: 34
Shield Stun: 10
~Shield Hit Lag: 5
ADVANTAGE: -25
ADVANTAGE (SHFF): -4
Tipper Shield Stun: 13
~Shield Hit Lag: 11
ADVANTAGE: -28
ADVANTAGE (SHFF): -8
SHFF Fair Lag: 8