• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Titan Tournament! *CANCELLED*

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
TOURNAMENT HAS BEEN CANCELED. IT JUST ISN'T GOING TO WORK OUT. PLEASE DON'T ASK WHY, I DON'T WANT TO GO INTO IT.

i'm holding a super smash brothers melee tournament! I know we got a big smash brothers community here, so i'm holding a tourney. heres the 411:

1st off, this is a fundraiser for the church. When you only have about 7 people for sunday night service, it's kinda lean on cash for the bills, so we're trying to raise some money to help with the bills. Extra Donations aren't necessary, but are appreciated if you do decide to donate extra.

2nd off, before the tournament starts, we'll all go upstairs, i'm going to stand behind the pulpit and read the rules to you all so i can make sure you all have heard them, so you won't have any reason for breaking them. (I.E., "i didn't hear them".) and pay attention when i'm talking, 'cause i don't want to have to shout to get your attention.

Snacks/Beverages:
It would be helpful it you would bring some snacks. Potato chips, pretzels, pop, (bring a mix of diet and regular if you bring any, and also, they don't have to be 2-liters. if you find a sale in your area and you are buying some, they can be in the cans or bottles.) But if they are, we have an extra garbage can, so i'll put a bag in and you can just throw in your empty cans/bottles. We just want some stuff to snack on in between matches and if you lose and you're watching. So please please PLEASE bring snacks!

Match Recording:
I'd like to record the matches, but i don't have a video camera. So anybody with a camera if they would talk to me here and tell me how to record it, i'd appreciate it, so then i can plan accordingly. Also, anybody who has a video camera to record matches, let me know so i can keep a head count on who had one and who doesn't. 'cause i really want to get some footage of this, since it's my first tournament.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Info:

652 Maple, Wyandotte, Michigan. (Area Code: 48192)

Entry Fee: $15

Cover Charge: $5. (Which means if you come and don't want to play, you only pay 5 bucks to get in. if you play though, fork over the other $10)

Date: (Still Planning)

Time: Probably try to get everybody there at 12:30-1:00 PM, and we'll have some warm-up matches, then start the tourney at about 1:30-2:00 PM.. that will also give us time to get set up and take care of problems and lay down the rules and stuff. it will more than likely end at about 6:00-8:00 PM, so it would be helpful if you brought a few bucks extra, 'cause there's a little ceasars pizza right down the road. so if we do pizza for supper, we'll get all that at around 4:30.

Prizes: (THIS IS IF WE GET 20 PEOPLE TO SHOW UP. MORE PEOPLE, MORE PRIZE MONEY, SO THIS IS PRIZE MONEY IF WE GET 20 PEOPLE)
1st place: $100
2nd place: $50
3rd place: $25

Now i'm just kinda throwing this out there. this isn't necessary, but if you guys want, you can bring some stuff for prizes. Like if you want to donate something for a prize, (as in a new controller, game or whatnot) let me know VIA PM on here, and i'll see what i can do. Like if you have some jewelry that you had given to you and never wore, or stuff like that, PM me and let me know what it either looks like, or send me a picture, and i'll see what i can do. I'm not saying it's necessary, it's just kinda nice to give an opportunity to sweeten the pot a bit.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER, MEMORY CARD, AND COPY OF SMASH BROTHERS MELEE.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game Rules:

1:Traditional stage rules apply. But we have all the stages that we don't like turned off, 'cause we usually pick random if we can't absolutely decide on a stage.

2:SINGLES ONLY. IT'LL BE EASIER FOR US, AND IN THE FUTURE, WE WILL DO TEAMS, BUT RIGHT NOW WE'RE JUST DOING SINGLES.

3:Matches are best out of three.

4:Since we're doing singles, before you just go and pick a stage, both players must decide on the stage they battle in.

5:No items.

6:No glitches like Mewtwo's "soul stunner", and the ice climbers freeze glitch, that kinda stuff. if you do it, you are kicked out of the tournament. if we even suspect you TRYING to do it, you're out of the tournament.

Other Rules (yes, we will enforce all rules also)

No drinking. We don't allow alcohol on the church premises. If i see one drop, you'll be thrown out of the tournament and out of the church property.

No smoking. No smoking inside the church. If you absolutely gotta have a smoke, take it outside, and you have to take it across the street. it's a pain to pick up cigarette butts. kapeesh?

No swearing/cursing/cussing/vulgar language ETC. We want this to be good clean fun. I've been around a ton of people where a few curse words were exchanged and a big fight was started, so no swearing at all. also no terms like "I ***** YOU MAN!!!" Just say something like, "You just got owned." or "I just beat you! Hoo-hah!"

You make a mess, you clean it up. Nice and simple. don't let it sit there, clean it up! We do have service the next day, so if a few of you guys could stick around afterwards to help put up cube and tv's and pick up trash that might be left, (there better not be any) it would be helpful.

If you lose in the tournament, and you are watching other people play, don't walk by and start screaming and all that. it breaks the players focus, and i have seen matches lost because somebody flinched and lost their train of thought and concentration. If you want to talk, kinda talk low, quietly if people are playing. we have another room adjacent to the basement, (the kitchen) where you can go and talk if you aren't playing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and that's it. that's the rules right there. also, there will be an entry sheet at the door, so i can keep track of who's signed in or not.

currently we'd have about 20-25 people. anybody else? i need people!

NOTE: right now it's just strictly smash, but I might add street fighter, or mario kart double dash, or some other games if people want. we don't do "m" rated games though. sorry, pastor's rules.

sheepyman

BRoomer
BRoomer
Make it like 40-50% of the pot and you'll get a lot more people. Ann Arbor alone could supply somewhere around 7 or 8 people.

Otherwise, sounds pretty good.

mastr0fmyd0main3

Smash Journeyman
Where is this going to be held (city, state)? I'm also not sure too many people would be willing to put in $15 knowing that they won't win. Just my opinion yo.

AS Money

Smash Lord
Make it like 40-50% of the pot and you'll get a lot more people. Ann Arbor alone could supply somewhere around 7 or 8 people.

Otherwise, sounds pretty good.
dont count on him 100% im going from sheepyman means my car may break down

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I suggest putting up a date, location, as in street, and how it will be ran, as in timewise. IF you don't, people will just look at your thread and laugh.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
Where is this going to be held (city, state)? I'm also not sure too many people would be willing to put in $15 knowing that they won't win. Just my opinion yo.
Most people go to tournaments for the experience without expecting to win. I mean, why would you go to a tournament wtih 30 or more people expecting to win?

The only answer I'd accept is, "Because I can beat my little brother so I think I'm the best!"

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
bump with more info might be helpful? just because those who look through these threads would've already commented on what they needed to at least until more information is present.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
you need to re-name the title, if you want any chance of people looking at this, no one will know what this is, because your title only says a question. Rename it with the place, date, and name of the tourney in the title.

botulismnator

Smash Cadet
WOW, this is really great.
We have a crew right near you, on Grosse Ile.
5 people from here will probably by dieing for this tournament.
Good luck organizing it.

Also, do you have a crew there? We would be up for playing a smashfest anytime.

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
WOW, this is really great.
We have a crew right near you, on Grosse Ile.
5 people from here will probably by dieing for this tournament.
Good luck organizing it.

Also, do you have a crew there? We would be up for playing a smashfest anytime.
yeah. i'll see if i can get them to come. IF my crew comes, (they're pretty busy right now) we'd have about 20 people. i'm asking the pastor tomorrow when i go to church. and yeah, i'm hoping and literally praying to God that this works out. i've been wanting to do this for a while.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
I'll do my best to get the lansing crew together. If Trail agrees to this you guys are going to have a hell of a time getting competition.

Oh, and I can do my best to be on my best behavior ^_^ Though ima have to smoke after every match so keep the doors open...

edit:

Also, if somebody hosted an after-party near the church (or within those city limits) there would be much more incentive for those who enjoy drinking after a good tourny and whatnot. Personally I could care less, but there are many smashers in Michigan who like to get crunked after a good day of smash.

If I lived closer, I'd be happy to do it... I just figure people driving out to Lansing afterwards wouldn't be very ideal.

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
sounds good. i asked, and he's going to talk it over with our songleader, (those two are the guys who pretty much run the church) but the pastor said there shouldn't really be a problem. as for smoking, no smoking inside the church or on church property. although, you can just dump your cigarette buds in the sewer right outside the door of the church. just don't be smoking in the church. as for an after party, the tournament will probably be on a saturday, and i'm thinking maybe it will be in the afternoon early evening. (possibly 2:00-about 6:00 or 7:00, not sure yet) but i got a few updates in the first post. so for the after party, i doubt that'll happen, so you guys who like to drink will have to do it when you get home. we don't allow drinking or smoking on church property.

AS Money

Smash Lord
No swearing/cursing/cussing/vulgar language ETC. We want this to be good clean fun. I've been around a ton of people where a few curse words were exchanged and a big fight was started, so no swearing at all. also no terms like "I ***** YOU MAN!!!" Just say something like, "You just got owned." or "I just beat you! Hoo-hah!"
**** *** **** **** BALLS CRAP **** *****

and you realize my name is AS$

maybe not

sheepyman

BRoomer
BRoomer
as$ is his name...

As for swearing, as long as we're not yelling it, are we okay? Like, if it's just to the other person, and if the other person is an adult-like smasher. I won't swear in front of you, your crew, or any of the religious officials, but I might swear in front of, say, AS$ (if he comes).

I just remembered I have 20$ MMs with ****, Acro, and AS$. They'll happen here if they come =). Only two of you though (unless I win one), because 55 dollars is steep enough >_>.

Edit: 20 dollar moneymatches, not 20 moneymatches.

RapE

Smash Ace
is this singles and doubles or just singles? cause i like to play mostly doubles now a days but w/e also my name is **** and its kinda givin that it will be said!

sheepyman

BRoomer
BRoomer
How many TVs/gamecubes do you guys have/need?

If you guys get around 25 people total, then there's a good chance that you won't be able to run a singles and doubles bracket between 2 and 7.

You should do 1pm to 8pm, that way you could do a singles and a doubles at a realistic pace.

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
How many TVs/gamecubes do you guys have/need?

If you guys get around 25 people total, then there's a good chance that you won't be able to run a singles and doubles bracket between 2 and 7.

You should do 1pm to 8pm, that way you could do a singles and a doubles at a realistic pace.
we're only going to be able to have up at maximum 4 tv's and 4 cubes. the outlets that are available are in the basement and are on the ceiling. so people will probably need to bring extension cables. we only need 2 more cubes and 3 tv's. i was thinking just doing singles myself, 1 vs 1, but i'll see if we can do teams. teams would be faster, and if we get teams done, we can do singles. but what about prize money? the church has to get at least 50% of prize money. we're trying to pay some bills, so any suggestions sheepyman? and anybody who can supply the cubes and tv's, let me know here. and as for your name ****, if the pastor comes, just don't be saying it around him. just don't be shouting the swear words, is all.

Dopey

Smash Lord
first things first, make a tourny name, and put that on the title of the thread, not smashfest. people see "smashfest" they automatically think no money and like 10 ppl will show up. u picked a weird time because of soo many tournys happening that ppl in the MW are going to. ill def still try to be there =)

Acro

Smash Ace
Midland will try to come too. of course i'm not even sure when this is since i havnt bothered to look at first post so its not for sure but if we come it'll prob be 3-4 people... yeah sheepy mm sounds good

AS Money

Smash Lord
ahh nah i just like to sware a lot some times but at a local MI thing where i am actually good im pretty good about swaring and i may depends if i find a job and if i work

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
I'll try and bring the Lansing crew. Ito's always up for a good smashfest/tourny, but he's got quite a mouth on him. Kevin may come but I don't know if he wants to pay.

I would suggest you have a cover charge for people who want to come but aren't playing in the tournament (3-5 bucks?).

That money would go directly to the church and wouldn't even have to touch the pot.

Top Bottom