• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official STB Thread!

Vat- Zero

Smash Journeyman
Vat- Zero, from this moment is displeased at the new Brawl game that Sakurai created. I hope that this opinion changes, for I am a lover of smash, but I want everyone to know my opinion anyways. I wish Sakurai was here so I can slap his goofy Perrusu antics. Vat- Zero out...

-Ka-

Smash Journeyman
Vat- Zero, from this moment is displeased at the new Brawl game that Sakurai created. I hope that this opinion changes, for I am a lover of smash, but I want everyone to know my opinion anyways. I wish Sakurai was here so I can slap his goofy Perrusu antics. Vat- Zero out...
Dear Vat-Zero,

Don't judge a book by its cover.

-Ka-

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'm gonna call but I do need a ride to the fest tomorrow and I don't have one.

I meet someone on or near Country club or before that, but I'm all the way in Mesa and can't seem to talk anyone into driving me to Glendale. If anyone is in Tempe and can conjure up the will to make a 17 year old boy pleasured (in a non-sexual fashion), plz do that for me ^.^

My phone number is: 480-430-1639 :::: Just ask for Dark Meow, I'll get the phone. Thank you guys.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
I know there are many reasons to be disappointed by Brawl.

Hell, you guys probably know that I'm the most disappointed in it of all of us.

For what specific reason did Brawl lose Vat-Zero's Vat-proval?

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Well, Brawl's only been out for 2 days people. Melee was the same reaction. Don't judge it so quickly and actually play the game. <_<

Just re-interating something said. Competitive Melee wasn't built in a day. If Brawl sucks, you'll have plenty of time to be disappointed after it comes out and you've played and explored it. Also people should remember that the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Try saying "there is evidence of no advanced techniques" with a straight-face.

lawl @ brawl

EDIT: Also, I like Falco's F-Smash. PECK PECK PECK PECK PECK

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
There is evidence of no advanced techniques.

And please don't pull out that regurgitated "they'll find glitches in no time" shxt. That's seriously so fxxking old and tired. Here's a little thing to think about. There are nearly NO glitches used in competitive play.

L-cancelling? Not a glitch.
Wavedashing? Exploit
SWDing? A glitch, one that isn't even used by every character, and isn't even perfectly implemented.
SHFFLing? Exploit
Ledgehopping? Exploit
Wavelanding? Exploit
JC Grab? Exploit

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
I can get there, my stepdad is willing to take me even half way, I just can't get all the way to Pheonix. What's your number Dark?

EDIT:: Dark: Hey, if you get this before you leave tomorrow, I can meet you anywhere in Tempe really, just give me a call:
480-430-1639
It'd be cool to play you and light again. Thanx in advance ^.^

Vat- Zero

Smash Journeyman
Quote: For what specific reason did Brawl lose Vat-Zero's Vat-proval?

Answer: Falco. When I first saw him I was amazed at his character model....Then I saw his playing style and shine...I then confirmed to myself that in order to be successful in Brawl I better get used to playing with low tear characters. Those who are good at playing low tear characters or who don't need to L- cancel, like G-mo, Ka, Light, Rob, taj, and my brother, have no problems. But like I said in my statement, I hope my opinion changes. Lets just say I'm not satisfied with the Brawl I'm seeing.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Quote: For what specific reason did Brawl lose Vat-Zero's Vat-proval?

Answer: Falco. When I first saw him I was amazed at his character model....Then I saw his playing style and shine...I then confirmed to myself that in order to be successful in Brawl I better get used to playing with low tear characters. Those who are good at playing low tear characters or who don't need to L- cancel, like G-mo, Ka, Light, Rob, taj, and my brother, have no problems. But like I said in my statement, I hope my opinion changes. Lets just say I'm not satisfied with the Brawl I'm seeing.
You can try going for Sheik maybe.

Sheik doesn't really WD or do any technical stuff.

Taj, Rob, and G-Mo l-cancel though, but I digress.

Maybe we should be learning to play less technical characters, but I digress.

Because everyone knows that to speak Tankra's name is to summon her awful presence.

Vat- Zero

Smash Journeyman
Oh well, the wait is almost over. At least all the surprises are out of the way. The character that I want play with the most is obviously Falco, but Wolf is a char. that is looking most interesting right now.

Vat- Zero

Smash Journeyman
Okay...thats gonna be entertaining ( Sarcas). No disrespect to you Chuk, but why don't we just go play melee with items and change the hit ratio. " Lets have fun!"

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I know what you're saying Vato. I didn't like Melee the first time I played it, though. I'm sure it's gonna be a great game.

By the way, has anyone else noticed how much larger the characters are? Or is that just me? Go watch a video on Corneria (the Melee stage) in Brawl. The characters look huge.

EDIT: Oh, there's a possibility that I and a special guest may come tomorrow. My friend Lockland that was my partner at T5. He's down from Tucson. (pronounced: Tuck-son)

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
I know what you're saying Vato. I didn't like Melee the first time I played it, though. I'm sure it's gonna be a great game.

By the way, has anyone else noticed how much larger the characters are? Or is that just me? Go watch a video on Corneria (the Melee stage) in Brawl. The characters look huge.

EDIT: Oh, there's a possibility that I and a special guest may come tomorrow. My friend Lockland that was my partner at T5. He's down from Tucson. (pronounced: Tuck-son)
I loved Melee WAY more than 64 the first time I played it.

Brawl's not doing it for me.

p.s. Oscar, You wanna go assassinate Sakurai with me and Mew2King?

Okay, can someone please explain to me why we're even playing this game? Dash-dancing is out, wavedashing is out, the game is slowed and dumbed down, and the only real thing we're gaining in Brawl is a few new characters, and a stage creator that we probably won't even use too much.

Vat- Zero

Smash Journeyman
The characters are bigger, I noticed. All characters are also equipped with massive Australian D.I. :)

-Ka-

Smash Journeyman
There is evidence of no advanced techniques.

And please don't pull out that regurgitated "they'll find glitches in no time" shxt. That's seriously so fxxking old and tired. Here's a little thing to think about. There are nearly NO glitches used in competitive play.

L-cancelling? Not a glitch.
Wavedashing? Exploit
SWDing? A glitch, one that isn't even used by every character, and isn't even perfectly implemented.
SHFFLing? Exploit
Ledgehopping? Exploit
Wavelanding? Exploit
JC Grab? Exploit
Its a tired argument Tai because people don't get the point. But the REAL problem is the fact that most people can't see past the idea of having to learn to play again without advance techs (or in the worse case scenario, no adv techs at all).

Advanced techs isn't the one and only thing that made melee a great competitive game.

In the latter days of Melee the competitive edge and greatness was shown in the players who exhibited the most frequent, skillful and creative use of the techniques (basic or adv) that were available. But not all great players depended or needed the "adv techs" that Melee contained. Some use very basic, but original game play to claim victory. The word I'm looking for is style.

So if you feel Brawl is gonna piss you off because you don't like the fact that you might not be able to use certain "adv" techs that in small or large was part of your overall "style" of play...well, then, tough luck.

This is new game. Not Melee 2.5.

In fact, I personally thought you'd be stoked about having the playing field somewhat leveled out from scratch since it seemed you came to competitive Smash so late in the Melee's era.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Its a tired argument Tai because people don't get the point. But the REAL problem is the fact that most people can't see past the idea of having to learn to play again without advance techs (or in the worse case scenario, no adv techs at all).

Advanced techs isn't the one and only thing that made melee a great competitive game.

In the latter days of Melee the competitive edge and greatness was shown in the players who exhibited the most frequent, skillful and creative use of the techniques (basic or adv) that were available. But not all great players depended or needed the "adv techs" that Melee contained. Some use very basic, but original game play to claim victory. The word I'm looking for is style.

So if you feel Brawl is gonna piss you off because you don't like the fact that you might not be able to use certain "adv" techs that in small or large was part of your overall "style" of play...well, then, tough luck.

In fact, I personally thought you'd be stoked about having the playing field somewhat leveled out from scratch since it seemed you came to competitive Smash so late in the Melee's era.
Coincidentally, a new technique was found just now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x8wygkxDyI

EDIT: Just avoid looking at the comments unless you want to see nub comments. =[

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord

Jake, you hardly understand what it's like to be having to play without advanced techniques after playing with them.

You're a Jigglypuff player. You don't even combo as much as a lot of Jigglypuffs.

I'm not saying anything about you being bad or anything, I'm just saying that you're very campy and don't go for combos too much.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
good find, G-Mo.

Those videos give me hope. All of the other videos of brawl are just item spamming noobs. But this seems to give light to some competitive matches.

DI is huge: This is going to be both defensive and offensive. In those videos, if someone DI'd correctly, they could live to reasonably high percents. But if they DI'd poorly they dies a very early death. Expect mindgaming you opponent into poor DI to be a big strategy.

Marth's Tipper: Insanely strong, but looks like the hitbox for it is smaller. So spacing, people. Spacing. Tipper forward smash killed at like 40-50%, which by brawl standards is really low.

Don't let them recover!
Characters are more floaty now, but in the videos you see people standing at the ledge and forward smashing like it's Melee! In brawl you have lots of room to recover, so get out there and get in their face while they come back. Marth gets a really low percent kill on Pikachu one life just by B-air'ing his recovery.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
The game looks awful to me, but meh, I have nothing to do. I'll play it.

p.s.

I think Dark Meow is coming today, but hell, he might flake again like the last five thousand times or so.

CHUK

Smash Ace
I am going to repeat something I have already said: Mid air DI is so rediculous every character can wall of pain, therefore now it shall be called the wall of plain. Seriously everyone that saids sheild grabbing will be so huge, it looks like you can do aerials and move away from the opponent while attacking getting away from the shield grab. Though shield grabbing will still probably be huge anyways.
EDIT:
Hey I'm honored to be graced with the name G-Mo
Wow.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
19 years ago, I was also graced with the name. Good times.

Good times were also had by me because of the great amount of people that came over today. You guys are the reason that AZ Smash is too good. And also the reason I called in to work and am going to hell.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
19 years ago, I was also graced with the name. Good times.

Good times were also had by me because of the great amount of people that came over today. You guys are the reason that AZ Smash is too good. And also the reason I called in to work and am going to hell.
"My grandmother died.

Last week."

--G-mo

And with what CHUK said..

well, if that's true, then Brawl is more or less one giant Jigglypuff ditto.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lol, Rang! You're using G-Mo's old avatar, I guess I didn't even look at the name.

GG's today, everyone. Sorry I didn't stay longer.

Top Bottom