• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Production Values and the Smash Community

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Just got into work, I have a show airing in a little over a month, but this came up and has been on my mind all morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH6hq7FBviE&feature=plcp

So basically, we started with videos being hosted on the DC++ hub, then youtube channels and waiting for subscribes to update, and now we have instant transmission through streaming. Our hardcore fans were part of the first two and part of the third, however, we have a larger community as well now. We have people who may know nothing about the game sit there and watch. This is our opportunity to outshine other communities by teaching them about our game in between entertaining them with tournament play. That being said:

1. An updated how to play video. Covering it all, one video. Wak did a great job but it can be updated now.
2. A shorter video, 2 or 3 minutes. Goes into the most common advanced techniques, our stage lists, and the most basic aspects of tournament play, as well as a link to smashboards and other pertinent smash topics.
3. Samox giving an excerpt (:30-:60) of a part of smash history as well as promoting the Smash Documentary. Displays the depth of this community, its history, and a stellar project that he is in the midst of.
4. Videos (:20-:30) explaining keys to common matchups for both characters. (Thanks Eggm for this idea)
5. Getting the MANifest series out of the way (this is my fault, but work has had me locked down without time to really edit. If anyone wants to take over this project, let me know).

2, 3 and 4 can go over button checks and other stream downtime. 1 is just a good look for the community, 5 will be great if I ever get time.

Thoughts, additional ideas?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I love this idea. I think Impulse did something kind of similar, I remember tinman explaining a brawl technique that was prerecorded while games were being switched, not sure if they did that much, it would be nice over button checks lol

Definitely a lot of stuff we can do here, even show past clips like a real sport, explain the ken combo with a video of ken doing it. And I've been saying we need an updated how to play video for a long time now, at the very least a new and improved guide stickies here, it's actually not all that easy for people to find information when they're new.

Not really good idea, more of a joke I posted in the apex thread but I was thinking of recording people's hands during button checks and doing a spoof "Who's that Pokemon" with whatever character they decided to play. Not really informative or useful though >.>

Lovage

Smash Hero
theres some threads floating around in the MBR but they suck as of now, i'll keep u guys posted

Lovage

Smash Hero
what's there to discuss

NEW MBR OFFICIAL RECOMENDED RULE UPDATE: if u take as long as either 90 seconds or 2 minutes to warm up to the TV you officialy lose the right to play your main color in a ditto match

democracy in action

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
1. An updated how to play video. Covering it all, one video. Wak did a great job but it can be updated now.
2. A shorter video, 2 or 3 minutes. Goes into the most common advanced techniques, our stage lists, and the most basic aspects of tournament play, as well as a link to smashboards and other pertinent smash topics.
I'm on it.

:phone:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
what's there to discuss

NEW MBR OFFICIAL RECOMENDED RULE UPDATE: if u take as long as either 90 seconds or 2 minutes to warm up to the TV you officialy lose the right to play your main color in a ditto match

democracy in action
Sweet, I'll get white vs M2K from now on =D

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I've always been disappointed at how difficult it is for casuals to access the inner workings of the competitive scene. This would be a step in the right direction.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I like the idea of Smash History being a part of down time on streams during tournaments.

One suggestions would be to advertise OLD videos. Something like a quick video that talks about Mango's big win at Pound 3 versus M2K with a few clips and links to the old videos.

Nothing makes people want to play/learn smash than watching hype important matches. There was a video I saw recently where Amsah talked about his epic comeback (link). I find stuff like that to be really interesting. Shorter versions of things like that might be worth getting together.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I am subscribed to prog's videos and was linked here from the one he posted. Also, I still mod the Luigi boards.

I am good bro, how is casa Scarduzio?

Scar

#HarveyDent
good

a lot better now that i've seen your homsar profile

trying to get a lot done in not a lot of time though :(

Ryuker

Smash Lord
All sound like good ideas to show on stream in between matches. What about showing replays after matches are over (or in between matches) with commentary show key moments during a match?
Has anyone ever looked into something like that seriously?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Okay now for some actual input

1) How to Play Video

Is this a "How to Use <thing>" video or more of a "How do Perform <thing>" video? I understand that you want something "covering it all" but that's not only impossible (this game is too complicated) but there is inevitably going to be a focus towards either "how to do it" versus "how to use it". Similarly, how should be structuring such a thing?

2) I think this is a great idea. Having the common rulesets available on video, how stage striking works, etc. is probably a good thing.

3) I think explaining a trick in a MU or with a character for 20-30 seconds could be an excellent thing actually and it beats the hell out of watching a button check. Showing how to SDI Fox's uair (and the various ways to do it, and how Fox can interact with it [if there's enough time leftover]), or showing how to escape Peach's ledge stand > d-smash edgeguard on characters with onstage recovery lag, or even slightly more complicated analysis (like, say, the merits of DIing away from an edgeguarder when you're hit offstage to escape soft move > strong move) are probably way more interesting than poofstall > ledgedash > dash RNS > FF > poofstall > ledgedash over and over to make sure your stick and buttons are working. I actually have a lot of things that could go here.

I'd also think that - if it were possible - you could stamp certain times during the match that were particularly interesting if they merit more discussion or analysis than was given during the time of the match (since a lot happens, so commentators often have to speak 2 seconds about an event then move on to the next one). This way you could kind of have a "match highlights" like they do in sports or if something kind of neat happened. And by stamping the time, you could go back and talk about it with the replay on hand.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
All sound like good ideas to show on stream in between matches. What about showing replays after matches are over (or in between matches) with commentary show key moments during a match?
Has anyone ever looked into something like that seriously?
I think this would be too hard for our streamers. To simultaneously stream, record and then find an interesting section to be viewed and commentated in a short amount of time while more people are coming to play...I dunno maybe they can do it but I feel like it'd take more equipment, though it is a nice idea.

I'd also think that - if it were possible - you could stamp certain times during the match that were particularly interesting if they merit more discussion or analysis than was given during the time of the match (since a lot happens, so commentators often have to speak 2 seconds about an event then move on to the next one). This way you could kind of have a "match highlights" like they do in sports or if something kind of neat happened. And by stamping the time, you could go back and talk about it with the replay on hand.
This on the other hand seems more feasible. Unless you mean immediately after the match is finished, then it falls under what the streamers are capable of. Maybe it's possible, I don't know how fast something can be recorded and viewed for a stream.

Lovage

Smash Hero
@ "how to play video"

has to be done w/ an OCremix of the original how to play music (ask m2k to commission somebody)

has to have pro players demonstrating the concepts individually. if there's a 3 second fox clip its a clip of JMAN if it's a 5 second clip its a clip of AZEN etc

everyones dreamed of that at least one time right? the original how to play video is soooooo ****ing legit when you first loaded up melee in 2001.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10mA9NR7yLA

Pengie

Smash Lord
As far a replays are concerned, iirc sp00ky had an instant replay bit during the down time between matches at one of the curly mustache tournaments so the idea isn't unheard of in streams. It's a really nice idea for keeping viewers interested in between matches.

Lovage

Smash Hero
Is this a "How to Use <thing>" video or more of a "How do Perform <thing>" video? I understand that you want something "covering it all" but that's not only impossible (this game is too complicated) but there is inevitably going to be a focus towards either "how to do it" versus "how to use it". Similarly, how should be structuring such a thing?
as i said, the book of melee needs an author, cept it needs TEN authors

if anyones curious, for reference: the marvel book costs 2 authors, and the starcraft book costs 5 authors.

VoiD-

Smash Apprentice
On the subject of stream filler time:

I think having a tournament-specific intro would be great. Obviously this would only be feasible for the big international tournaments since it can be expensive and/or time consuming, but a professionally done intro is a great way to bridge gaps in events that traditionally have a lot of down time. It would be very difficult to make it happen but it would be great for a tournament.

Even a lower production value one would could be great, but here's a few ways it could go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dszFWI8ST4 (Features players. Probably not possible because it would involve bringing them all together before the tournament.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrSNWP683D4 (Features the players as well, but animated so you don't have to actually film them)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPdET_nZuFA (Minimal. Sponsors + tournament name. Much easier to make.)
Or it could feature the game, but I couldn't remember any good examples of that.

Again this is not possible for almost anyone but if a tournament has the ability/funds to make something like this happen I think it's something the should consider.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
This is awesome dude and I would do anything I could to help. :D

Eggm

Smash Hero

1) How to Play Video

2) I think this is a great idea. Having the common rulesets available on video, how stage striking works, etc. is probably a good thing.

3) I think explaining a trick in a MU or with a character for 20-30 seconds could be an excellent thing actually and it beats the hell out of watching a button check. Showing how to SDI Fox's uair (and the various ways to do it, and how Fox can interact with it [if there's enough time leftover]), or showing how to escape Peach's ledge stand > d-smash edgeguard on characters with onstage recovery lag, or even slightly more complicated analysis (like, say, the merits of DIing away from an edgeguarder when you're hit offstage to escape soft move > strong move) are probably way more interesting than poofstall > ledgedash > dash RNS > FF > poofstall > ledgedash over and over to make sure your stick and buttons are working. I actually have a lot of things that could go here.

The examples you mentioned in #3 are exactly what I had in mind when pitching the idea to prog.

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
I love editing smash vids and i have a solid editing backround(used to film and edit for a skateshop). I only know matchups indepth for falcon but i was thinking about making a matchup vid for against shiek and misc other tips for falcon. Want me to try it out and post it for feedback from yall? Srry of this doesnt make sense lol i literally
Just woke up

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero

1) How to Play Video

The video I have in mind encompasses both takes, beginning with how to perform.

In my mind the htp should be all encompassing. Beginning with very basics, like the in-game tut, and advancing on.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If that's the case then I would suggest splitting the videos into a basic performance section and then an applied section. Basic performance (how to do it) would list a lot of important basic techniques that all characters can perform. I would also strongly suggest either character specific videos be made then in addition to the general one or as an add-on if we're going for completeness. The performance section should probably incorporate a rough idea of application but I feel that if we go into a lot of detail immediately following "how to do it", then each individual technique's section will get too cluttered or lengthy.

For this reason, I suggest then creating a different video (or different section) that illustrates application under more broad categories like punishment (split into comboing, tech chasing, edgeguarding, etc), positioning (how movement affects position, the difference between "reach" and "range", a simple breakdown of the defensive or offensive merits of certain places you can be on the stage, etc), and whatever else we decide that should go here.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
If that's the case then I would suggest splitting the videos into a basic performance section and then an applied section. Basic performance (how to do it) would list a lot of important basic techniques that all characters can perform. I would also strongly suggest either character specific videos be made then in addition to the general one or as an add-on if we're going for completeness. The performance section should probably incorporate a rough idea of application but I feel that if we go into a lot of detail immediately following "how to do it", then each individual technique's section will get too cluttered or lengthy.

For this reason, I suggest then creating a different video (or different section) that illustrates application under more broad categories like punishment (split into comboing, tech chasing, edgeguarding, etc), positioning (how movement affects position, the difference between "reach" and "range", a simple breakdown of the defensive or offensive merits of certain places you can be on the stage, etc), and whatever else we decide that should go here.
I'm breaking it down right now.

Where I'm at is there is a beginning video. Something that just refreshes the game. What button inputs do what, along with how to do standard techniques (WD, L-Cancel, SH, and Ground Teching, etc. Similar to the current AHTP)

Next moves into how to use specific techniques, and you can use an entire video explaining the uses of Wavedashing. This is where the bulk of the grind goes in. Everything needs to broken down and explained - not only how to do it, but how to really use it effectively. Because of this it would be a good idea for there to be a move into character specifics. For example, you should know that Samus can Missile Cancel, or that Falco can SHL. You also need to know the angle Sheik's Needles travel, and how to maneuver or attack through Doc's Pills. Staying at an all-encompassing level, it only makes sense to go into characters further. And, besides, complete character video guides are not at all unheard of elsewhere.

After that comes interlacing techniques. After you've gone over playing the game, performing techniques, you move into the realm of combining movement with your techniques, and stringing them together. Such as L-Canceling into a Platform Shield Drop into a Waveland or Aerial A into L-Cancel Wavedash.

And, finally, you introduce Options. What I have in mind for this part is, partly, what I did already in this video. There will, however, need to be videos done on the mental portion of this game. If you can't understand the game, you'll never be good at it.

This is something that almost has to be released through multiple videos.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
I was planning to make tutorials for the most part aside "Advanced how to play" since I know someone else would be making that, I wanted to focus on other fundamentals once you have learnt those techniques how to apply them, mindsets and stuff

In my first video I was gonna say "this is the smash terminology for each move (wavedash, short hop, shuffle, etc) if you want to learn precise how to do these techniques I recommend watching the advanced how to play video, as these tutorials will focus on polishing those techniques and other factors in competitive play"

Also was going to cover matchups / problems that people want help with, both sides of the matchup

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Fuzzyness, what is your youtube channel? I personally would like to see:

-Player Highlight videos for new upcoming players
-REALLY REALLY REALLY hyped crew battles. I'm gonna go into detail later, but these are just off the top of my head thoughts.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
well nothings been made yet but I use twitch and youtube

twitch - fuzzyness
youtube - supersmashbrosuk / fuzzyness

I could attempt to make my first episode by two weeks sunday I start a full time 38 hours job on saturday so im not sure how thing are gonna end up in terms of spare time but making a goal would be a good start for me. (and im supposed to go to hf-lan in Paris december 1st - 2nd)

I dont think it'll be too hard to demonstrate using dolphin on my stream + if its well planned beforehand

apparently king funk + shloka are doing the advanced how to play video, so really no reason for me to cover those apart from briefly explaining what they are

Top Bottom