• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[[Hyper Viper Beam]]MWC Event in Ann Arbor, MI [[Nov. 7-8]]

lain

Smash Master
FRIDAY'S VENUE HAS CHANGED TO PANDA'S APARTMENT!!!
The address is 727 Packard St., Ann Arbor MI 48104. Its about 10 minutes from the venue for Saturday that we were supposed to use today, too.

There should be parking on the streets around us. Parking by meters is FREE after like 6-7, so if there is room you can park there. Otherwise... I think you might be able to find parking on the street for the night, but I'm not 100% sure on that. And there should be enough room for quite a few people to sleep here. It won't be comfortable with a ton of people, thats for sure, but its a warm place with a roof, so it does fine :D

If you have any more problems, you can call Lain at (734) 272-7347 or me at (248) 214-4345

HYPER VIPER BEAM

November 7th - November 8th
4800 E Huron River Dr
Ann Arbor, MI
48105–4800

Venue
1. Drugs and alcohol are not to be brought into the building.
2. Parking will be available anywhere in the student section.
3. Don't leave trash lying around.
4. Please treat the venue nicely.

Costs
Side Tournament - $5
Doubles - $20 ($10 each)
Singles - $10

Schedule

Friday, November 7th
5:00pm___Begins
6:00pm___Side Tournament Registration
7:00pm___Side Tournament

Saturday, November 8th
11:00am___Doubles Registration
12:00pm___Doubles Tournament
5:00pm____Singles Registration
6:00pm____Singles Pools -> Bracket
9:00pm____Beach Volleyball

HOUSING
Housing can be accommodated by SamuraiPanda, and there's a cap, so first come first serve. More details on pandahousing to come soon!

Those who don't get housing at Panda's can meet up at my venue to see who wants to rent a cheap hotel/motel room (there are many close by) and just room together with a whole bunch of people, splitting the cost of the room.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but that's why there is NO venue fee. It basically goes to housing anyways. :)

Rules
- 3 Stock, 8 minute timer
- Items are set to "off" and "none"
- Default Settings (dmg ratio, handicap, etc).
- Set team attack to ON
- Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
- All sets are best of 3 with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and grands (Best of 5)
- If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
(Note: This applies ONLY to Bowser and is not the case for Ganondorf, Kirby, King Dedede, Wario, or any other characters that have a suicide maneuver).
- Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
- In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors. In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
- Port slob picks: On a player's counterpick, that player may opt to redo the port selection process with that player or team picking their port first.
- No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
- Stalling is banned. Stalling is… the act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.
- You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
- Ask the other player to pause if you need to pause for whatever reason. Be mature about this. "Accidental" pauses while being chaingrabbed or guarding against a Ness/Lucas up+b recovery will not be tolerated.
- Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches. Any player who interferes with a match in this manner will be DQ’d.

Starter**
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium 1

**Before selecting random for a starter, you can both strike 1 neutral to not be put on random.

Counterpicks
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Onnett

Payouts
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

Contact
Cellphone - 734.272.7347
Email - lain.type.00@gmail.com
aim - koreanXdemon
msn - lain_type_00@hotmail.com

Attending
lain!
thaxceptional1
dingdong
SamuraiPanda
Kel + 4-8
Doctor X
Overswarm
nojoes + 3
Okiyama
Anther
The mann
Y.b.M.
Terf
TofuToph
Hot_arms
shadowthebeat
AtotheZ
Zay xIFCx
DevilChipp
D. mann
Betsy
BsdKid4ever
_Azure_
Cha0s Finale + 2
OmegaXF
thesoviet
Mr. E
DragoonBlack
MadHatter
Lazer Tazer
Joshu
The Exile?
Quivo?
Alphazealot?
JimboCav09?
JustKindaBoredUKno?
GodzSon?
Blood Hawk?

Confirmed Total: ~43
Everyone: ~51

I hope to see everyone there!

:colorful:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Rawr, I fixed a typo for you in the first post (manor = manner). I was hoping for a better name, though. Something along the lines of "Lain sucks ****." Dude, I'd totally travel for LSD.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
EDIT: just realized that MWC stands for Mid West Circuit... There goes my rant about how annoying it is to not be able to tell which game it is by reading the title.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Luigi's Mansion is garbage and banned almost everywhere across the country. Onett is also garbage and banned almost everywhere across the country. LSD would have been a HORRIBLE name. I love hyper viper beam <3

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
what does it mean when you say the whole suiciding move with bowser doesnt apply with other characters with suicide moves? does that mean you have to play out the sudden death?

Vayseth

Smash Master
It means that Bowser's claw is determined by priority. To remove that, the SBR made a blanket rule that says NO MATTER what slot Bowser is in, he wins if he suicide claws.

Unlike other suicide moves which are not determined by obscure things such as priority, they result in both people dying at the exact same time, which sends the round into sudden death. In which case, sudden death rules would apply (aka, stock followed by percent). Meaning Wario, Kirby, Ganon, Dedede, etc all involve death of both members at the same time, meaning the winner would be determined by stock and then percent. That's all that means.

Which also means if somehow someone attempts a suicide and they end up winning anyway, that does not change the match. The rule is only if the game goes to sudden death.

Aced

Smash Rookie
Man I gotta get to this somehow...

Any nice people out there feel like going the extra mile(okay more like 20-30 miles) to help a brotha out? I'll galdly pay my way and whatever.

Kel

Smash Master
Yeah, moving this a week earlier if possible would be desired. I don't know how college breaks work around thanks giving, but a week before thanksgiving may cause some troubles for people returning home for the week or whatever.

I don't like Mansion being off either. There's nothing wrong with that stage. Plenty of characters benefit from that stage for it to be a counter pick.

lain

Smash Master
You have a point Kel. Sorry Vayseth, but this is definitely a big point for having it earlier =(

Mansion is off because it offers ridiculous advantages to certain characters. The narrowness of where you have to fight increase the effectiveness of a lot of characters (i.e. Lucario Fsmashing, Dedede... anything, etc.).

Also, MK and the B button. Nobody wants to fight a 7 or 8 minute match against tornado spam in luigi's mansion. It's unpleasant. Beatable, yes. But very unpleasant. It just goes against the spirit of the game. It's a completey ******** aspect of the game that shouldn't ever have happened.

If anyone else disagrees with the stage list (or me banning luigi's mansion in particularly), please speak up so I can get feedback on this.

Kel

Smash Master
Mansion is good for MK, Lucario, ROB, DK, GAW, and anyone else that wants to live ridiculously long. You CAN break down the house you know...

Lain, I'm pretty sure you haven't lost to me on that stage before. And don't even get me started on camping, because you put Green Hill Zone on the list. Some matches are going to take a long time, "pleasantry" is not what matters in competitive gaming.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Some matches are going to take a long time, "pleasantry" is not what matters in competitive gaming.
The entire point of competitive smash is fun. If you are in it to win money, then you're the stupidest person I've ever talked to.

btw I'm not calling you stupid, but this point is completely void and I hate when people bring it up. In the end, everyone is here to have a good time, and if something gets in the way of that it should be banned.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
you're a ****ing idiot... think about it, if you were good enough to place consistently and could make a couple hundred dollars a tourney, then I think you would be in it to win too, but you suck, so it doesn't matter. Like seriously, sure people have fun with it, (why the **** would they take the time and effort to get good if they didn't like the game), but like, when there's money on the line, get real, you would do everything you could to ****ing win it... btw I'm calling you a ****ing idiot, and your point is completely void.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Thanksgiving is the next week and no one should have a problem with making it a week early. If people want to go they can change their plans. Does the date actually effect anyone? If it doesn't, it's not a problem.

Luigi's Mansion is dumb and is largely banned across the country. Banning it is nothing new and I think it's time all of the regions started using the same rule set. Since Luigi's Mansion was at the beginning of the voting and it had yet to become an issue by then, it was voted in. Now that it IS an issue, I'm sure the voting would be different.

Kel

Smash Master
Vayseth, the SBR voting isn't really something that can be used in defense for why a stage should be banned. Especially since the SBR ultimately decided that the stage should be on.

I completely agree that stages are up to TOs. However, we're allowed to discuss the tournament in its own thread. In addition, Lain also requested that people talk about it. There is no "issue" to speak of, it's simply a couple johns from what I'm hearing. The difference between Big C and other organizers is that he had the balls to say "This stage has absolutely nothing wrong with it, but it isn't going to be on at my tournament". Lain and Vayseth, you didn't give any REASON why Mansion should be banned, you only gave opinions. The stage is competitive and has nothing wrong being a valid stage. I could list reasons why every stage in the game is "gay", but that doesn't mean it isn't competitive.

Also, Lain, I've been trying to find you on AIM so we can actually discuss this and how it's going down. Is it Vayseth AND Lain's tournament, or just Lain?

Vayseth

Smash Master
As for right now, it's just lain's. I'll probably know the week before what I'll be doing at the tournament, if anything.

If we are to have a discussion about stages, I might as well list my reasons for removing it.

I feel like the stage has a lot of parallels to sky world in the sense that the ceilings are dumb and allow "combos" that are incredibly hard to get out of by mashing up on the c-stick, b, or some other ridiculously easy thing to rack up damage. Also, the "you can break the stage" excuse is kind of moot in 1v1 play, seeing as you have to stale your moves and put yourself at risk to destroy it, and even if you do, the stage respawns in less than 10 seconds after the last piece is gone. Also, the huge problem with stalling is involved. Basically, I see zero reason to have it being allowed in doubles play, but absolutely no reason to allow it in 1v1.

While no one is really calling for the banning of it, no one likes it. There's no one who would really be against banning it and to prove it, I can take a vote and show that most people really don't care for it.

BIG C

Smash Master
as for mansion every match i've seen played on it in singles has been 6 minutes plus this is not a productive thing for tournaments and as it is a popular stage it is played more than enough to delay tournament time. i mean 5 ppl play on it that's already a half an hr. delay. and it is banned at a lot of tournaments nowadays. as far as the SBR rule list goes I wouldn't use most of it for my tournaments(if i ever have another) as I do not feel my views of competitive gaming are well represented in there. I can tell this just by 1. who is in the BR and 2. by the votes for the stage list.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Oops, didn't know I left Green Hill Zone on. =)

Guys, the stage is ridiculous. srsly.
Turn it back on, mofo. Come over tomorrow night and we'll play on some of the stages to see if they're good or not.

Is it Vayseth AND Lain's tournament, or just Lain?
Every tournament in Ann Arbor is partially Vayseth's.

as I do not feel my views of competitive gaming are well represented in there. I can tell this just by 1. who is in the BR and 2. by the votes for the stage list.
You shouldn't assume things ^_^

BIG C

Smash Master
rofl i am not assuming anything. I'm basing my feelings on 1. a good amount of ppl i know in there have views as to what competitive smash should be completely opposite to my own. and by the fact that skyworld, mario circuit, onett, and port town are all on a counter/banned instead of banned and also that corneria, distant planet, green hill zone, the mansion, and pokemon stadium 2 are all on counter. all of which either have perma walls or in my view of the game too much interference by the stage to be fit for competitive gaming.

Top Bottom