• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

West Coast Smash League

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
The Competitive Gaming Community @ San Francisco State University presents:
West Coast Smash League

PLEASE SIGNUP BEFORE 10AM FOR MELEE DOUBLES/BRAWL SINGLES (SATURDAY)
IF YOU ARE NOT SIGNED UP BY THEN, YOU'RE NOT PLAYING IN THE TOURNEY.

Onski, the president of the CGC, and the rest of Nor Cal present an end of the year, two day, Super Smash Bros. Brawl/Melee Tournament! Since the CGC runs bi-weekly tournaments at SFSU anyway, it has graciously decided to intervene in this event and assume hosting responsibilities.

WE NEED TVS & WIIS!
The Official TV, Wii, GC List: http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=44674

**Club Fee: $5* (already calculated into fee)**
[remember, you don't pay a club fee if you bring a full set up]

Main Events:
Melee Singles - $15 ($10 + $5 club fee)
Brawl Singles - $15 ($10 + $5 club fee)
Melee Doubles - $20 ($15 + $5 club fee)
Brawl Doubles - $20 ($15 + $5 club fee)

THE NEW VENUE
http://www.sfsu.edu/~meetings/facilitiestcs.html

**FINALIZED SCHEDULE**
Day 1-December 20 2008 Saturday:

-8AM: Set Up (if you are bringing equipment please try to come before 8:30)
-8:30: Doors Open. Melee Doubles & Brawl Singles Registration begins. If you like you can pay for all your events at this time. there will be multiple sign ups, an hour before each event
-10: Melee Doubles Registration closes // Melee Doubles Tournament begins.
~10:30: Brawl Singles Registration closes & Brawl Singles Pools Begin
-8PM : Doors Close

Day 2-December 21 2008 Sunday:

-8:00AM: Doors Open.Brawl Doubles & Melee Singles Registration Begins.
-10: Registration closes. Brawl Doubles Begins
-10:30: Melee Singles Begins
-8PM WCSL concludes. happy holidays

PARKING
- i personally recommend parking in the underground parking lot underneath the Village @ Centennial Square. The address is 750 Font Blvd. San Francisco, CA 94132, its right off the roundabout closest to Lake Merced Blvd. The parking is free on the weekend, and the tournament venue (Seven Hills Conference Center) is a leisurely two minute walk away. so if you are driving, i suggest you mapquest or googlemap directions to 750 Font and head straight there, it'll save everyone a great deal of headaches.
- there is also a huge parking garage directly across the street from the venue, which is located on State Drive. but its 5$ for the whole day.. capitalism.

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
If you can hop aboard a Caltrain or Amtrak, then you can reach BART. Amtrak connects to BART at the Richmond or Oakland Airport stations. Caltrain connects to BART at the Millbrae station.
From BART take a Milbrae or Daly City bound train to the Daly City BART station. Get off, go downstairs, get a courtesy MUNI #28 ticket. Board the #28 MUNI - 19th Ave- (Inbound to Fort Mason) and get off on Holloway (San Francisco State University) you will notice a huge university across the street, walk towards it, all the way across campus towards the on campus housing. The conference center is across from Mary Ward Hall (freshmen housing). Please consult a campus map (provided below) for exact whereabouts.
BART - http://www.bart.gov/
MUNI - http://www.sfmta.com/cms/home/sfmta.php
Amtrak - http://amtrakcalifornia.com/rail/go/amtrak/index.cfm
Caltrain - http://www.caltrain.com/

Map of SFSU/venue: http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTE...&zoom=18&q1=state%20dr%20san%20francisco%20ca

NOM NOM NOM (FOOD)
- The Subway on campus is open all day ($5 footlong?) and multiple restaurants on campus are open until 4. The Stonestown Mall has a sassy food court and also boasts a Chevy's, Olive Garden and McDonalds which are all walking distance from the event.

PRIZES
60% - 1st Place
30% - 2nd Place
10% - 3rd Place
pat on the back and AiB trophy - 4th Place

questions? comments? concerns? PM, email or AIM Onski or any of the cohosts

RULESET

MELEE RULES
- 4 stock
- 2/3 sets
- 3/5 finals
- 8 minute time limit
- Items off
- Ties broken by lives, then %
- First stage agreed upon or random
- Dave’s Stupid Rule (DSR): No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has - already won on that stage.
- Double Blind character pick can be called before the first match (before characters are selected).
- Stage Knock Out: Each person may choose one stage to ban for the entire set, it can be chosen at the beginning of the set or after the counterpick, after initial characters are chosen.
- Random Reset: May be issued only once during a set.
- Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or select to go random.The winner may then change their character, followed by the loser.
- BYOC. Bring your own controller
- Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
- Team Attack will be ON
- Life stealing allowed
- Wobbling is banned

Stage Rules For Melee

Randomly chosen Neutral Stages
- Final Destination
- Battlefield
- Pokemon Stadium
- Yoshi’s Story
- Fountain of Dreams
- Dream Land (N64)

Other Legal Stages
- Kongo Jungle (N64)
- Corneria
- Jungle Japes
- Green Greens
- Brinstar
- Mute City
- Rainbow Cruise
- Poke Floats

Varied Stages(Up to the players)
- Onett
- Princess Peach's Castle

Doubles Random Select Stages
- Final Destination
- Battlefield
- Yoshi's Story
- Dreamland (N64)
- Pokemon Stadium

Doubles Other Legal Stages
- Fourside
- Mushroom Kingdom II
*All other unannotated stages are available for counterpicks*

Doubles Banned Stages
- Fountain of Dreams
- Mute City

Banned Stages
- Great Bay
- Mushroom Kingdom I
- Icicle Mountain
- Hyrule Temple
- Brinstar Depths
- Yoshi’s Island (N64)
- Yoshi’s Island (Pipes)
- Venom
- Big Blue
- Fourside
- Flat Zone

BRAWL RULES

FOR POOLS ONLY
2 Stock
5:00 min.
NO ITEMS.
Best of 2. (not 3, 2)
Random neutral stages ONLY, one cancel allowed (loser)

FOR BRACKET
3 Stock. 7 Minutes. NO ITEMS. Strikeout rule enforced

Strikeout Rule
Players determine 1st Random stage by eliminating choices until 1 choice is left.

Ex.
Onski: "I strike out BF"
Sky: "i strike out FD"
Onski:"I strike out Lylat"
Sky: (eliminates a choice in his head, and selects the remaining stage) "ok lets go Smashville"

Random Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Smashville
Lylat Cruise

Counter-Picks:
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Halberd
Frigate Orpheon
Luigi's Mansion
Jungle Japes (melee)
Pokémon Stadium (melee)
Rainbow Cruise (melee)
Brinstar (melee)

any other counterpick must be agreed on by both players

At the beginning of each match, each player is allowed to ban one stage. No stage can be played twice during a set, regardless of whether you win or lose on it. Onski's stupid rule.

Winner's/Loser's/Grand Finals : Best 3 of 5
Regular Sets: Best 2 of 3

MetaKnight's Infinite Dimensional Cape Technique and ANY form of excessive stalling are banned.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
Is this going to a be a two day tournament? Regardless, I will most likely attend this.

mio

Smash Ace
This seems cool, but it would be even cooler to have the rules, prize pay-outs and location of the venue posted ASAP (even if it's subject to change). Also, a league is technically a season of several games or tournaments that determine top victors over a period of time based on an adapted win/loss point system. I'm not sure if this is what you intend to do, so please specify.

Chosenl

Smash Apprentice
lol, the price use to be $25 for Brawl Singles and $20 for Melee Singles. People are happier now that its lower XD

Zodiac

Smash Master
This could be amazing, I will attend, Btw, where is this being held?

Noble-

Smash Ace
Yay!
I'm going to this!!
hahaha
Here's the General Rule-set I suggested they use.

Super Smash Bros. Melee Rules

•4 stock
•2/3 sets
•3/5 finals
•8 minute time limit
•Items off
•Ties broken by lives, then %
•First stage agreed upon or random
•Dave’s Stupid Rule (DSR): No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage.
•Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime.
•Stage Knock Out: Each person may choose one stage to be disabled for the entire set, it must be chosen at the beginning of the set, after initial characters are chosen.
•Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or select to go random. The winner may then change their character, followed by the loser.
•Bring your own controller
•Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
•Team Attack will be ON
•Life stealing allowed

Singles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64, & Pokemon Stadium

Doubles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium

Stages banned for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City.

Stages banned for Singles & Doubles: Yoshi’s Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach’s Castle, Kongo Jungle, Onett, Great Bay and Green Greens.

Stages not listed on the random select list that are not banned are open for counter picks by the losing player.

Wobbling is banned

1st Place - 60% of Pot
2nd Place - 30% of Pot
3rd Place - 10% of Pot

Don't know if they are using it though

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
How are you going to fit this all into one or two days? I'm gonna learn my lesson from axis. I won't be coming until its gauranteed to have both doubles and singles.No offense but 11am is too late to start and be able to finish all these events. It should start at like 8 or 9am. I can gaurantee you this tournament won't finish if it starts at 11am unless there are at least 60 tv's for Brawl. Sorry, I just don't want to make plans to travel then get messed up like with Axis. Gotta ask questions this time around.

aznforce817

Smash Lord
2 days makes sense though doesnt it? one day i highly doubt. lol... Unless u run both events at the same time with a crapload of tvs.

I recommend first day run Melee and Brawl Doubles. second day melee and brawl singles. I highly doubt u'll have time for crews. :/ unless u start at 8AM each day. mm morning smash fingers.

Chosenl

Smash Apprentice
We are aiming at 50 tv's/wii's right now. 1st place for Brawl will be most likely $1,500. We would make it $2000, but we don't have sponsors like Axis xP.

Irow

Smash Ace
2 days makes sense though doesnt it? one day i highly doubt. lol... Unless u run both events at the same time with a crapload of tvs.

I recommend first day run Melee and Brawl Doubles. second day melee and brawl singles. I highly doubt u'll have time for crews. :/ unless u start at 8AM each day. mm morning smash fingers.
Brawl Singles wouldn't make sense for Sunday, simply because Sunday is normally much more inconvienent. You should place the event that the most entrants would attend, and I'm quite sure that Brawl Singles is the largest event.

I would probably split it either Brawl/Melee, or Singles/Doubles. With Saturday hosting the events that will have more entrants.

Chosenl

Smash Apprentice
Brawl Singles and Melee Doubles will most likely be on the first day, looking at it time wise. Brawl Singles will have the most people, while Melee Doubles will have the least. Melee Singles and Brawl Doubles will be on the second day.

Chosenl

Smash Apprentice
I'm waiting to see how much set ups we can get. As soon as I know how many, then I will confirm the actual time it starts.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
Well seeing as Axis had like 50 set-ups or so, and assuming that this will be larger (due to more events and being multiple days). You should expect to have around the same amount, if not more.

It'll be different w/ Melee though -_-

aznforce817

Smash Lord
The melee community is too good. ur gonna get like 100 set-ups for melee. <3 If i go to this which i probably will, i will bring a full set-up for melee and Brawl. not sure about the tv. i'm traveling from so-cal you know... lol

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MY GOD

I've been waiting for a major melee event for a minute dude

I'm going to this, no question about it.

I need a **** *** partner. HugQ or Lovage, you guys get dibs. Team with meeee :)

Top Bottom