• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Armory: Using G&W's arsenal to the fullest extent (8-13-08) Now on: Usmash

cutter

Smash Champion
G&W's Weapons Cache

Like Bomberman, he must have deep pockets...

Inspired by the Kirby boards for doing this, and also Neb for bringing it up, I think it would be a good idea to analyze G&W's moves in-depth on when to use them and useful situations involved in them.

Much similar to our matchup discussion, we'll talk about one move at a time showing each other useful insight and tactics for that move. Because G&W's are almost all useful, it would be a good idea to do something like this.

I'll change moves every 3-4 days, depending on feedback and activity. We'll start off first with some more of G&W's not-as-used moves. Moves like Bair, Oil Panic, etc. will be saved for the end because those moves have been so discussed in-depth.

*space reserved for summary of move analysis*

Nair (posts #2-#11, #29, #30)
- Fish give G&W great spacing and reach with it. The hitbox is very deceptive, because the water and bowl are also hitboxes.
- Piles on damage very fast. (17% if all hits connect)
- First 3 hits drag the foe into you, and the 4th hit is a knockback hitbox. If you SH Nair and don't let it go through the whole animation, the first 3 hitboxes will pull your foe in. Then you can very easily do a follow-up move since Nair autocancels.
- Great for hitting people through platforms.
- Move autocancels, resulting in very minimal punishment if that.
- This move lingers and has a long duration, allowing you to be able to hit airdodgers.
- Buffer Nair and then Up B to avoid a possible shieldgrab.
- This move can get G&W out of possible "combos" and overrides a lot of attacks in the air.
- Provides great projectile defense since the fish make a nice little shield around you.
- Overall, Nair is a very good move that is very safe to use most of the time.

Dtilt (posts #12-#28)
- Hitbox comes out on frame 6, and IASA frames make it tough to punish.
- Massive disjointed hitbox that lingers. (won't go away until the whole manhole disappears) and provides excellent spacing. Dtilt will follow the angle of the terrain, so on sloped platforms it will be sloped as well.
- Great edgeguarding tool for blocking off the ledge.
- A good, safe follow-up to a Dthrow and also from out of your crouch.
- Against a wall, Dtilt will lock your foe until ~120%. Take advantage of this on stages like Delphino Plaza, Rainbow Cruise, and Pokemon Stadium 1.
- Because of its priority, size of the hitbox, startup time, and IASA frames, Dtilt provides an excellent way to block most projectiles that your bucket can't absorb.
- Dtilt especially comes in handy against Olimar when you can use it to literally catapult pikmin away from you.
- Overall, Dtilt is an amazing utility move at G&W's disposal. While it may not do a ton of damage, it is very important in G&W's ground game.

Dash Attack (posts #32-45)
- An attack that starts up quickly and provides for another approach.
- This attack has HUGE priority which allows it to clash with many smashes (ie Pikachu's Fsmash) and it'll even go through other high priority attacks such as PKT2 and Firefox/bird/wolf.
- If a person holding onto the ledge has lost their invincibility frames, this move will stage spike.
- All of G&W's body is a hitbox; not just the helmet part.
- The move lingers enough for it to go through a spotdodge.
- You can do some minor combing by chaining a couple of dash attacks at low %s, but this isn't foolproof.
- Be careful though; if you miss this or get shielded, you're going to be punished.
- It's a situational attack, but that doesn't mean it's bad. In fact, G&W's Dash can be a fantastic attack, but it isn't a move that should be used all the time like Bair.

Up B (posts #47-55)
- One of the best recoveries in the game, period. It is almost impossible to gimp.
- Invincibility frames on a third of the way up through the trampoline jump.
- High priority, quick attack execution, invincibility, and speed give G&W a very solid move to get himself out of a jam.
- Knockback sends the opponent up and outward, making it pretty good for edgeguarding. It will also stagespike edgehoggers.
- If someone is near the trampoline as G&W bounces off, they will be pushed by the trampoline as well. Sometimes they can even be sucked into the attack. This ability works very well to punish tornado spam from Metaknight.
- If you do an attack right from the apex of the jump, you'll do a fastfall. You can also do this with a special; you'll fall much faster this way.
- A focal point of G&W, his Up B gives him so many options in attacking and recovery that this move is amazing in most situations.
- After all is said and done, this move is just too complicated to write a summary about. :)

Jab (posts #63-80)
- A fast quick attack that is pretty decent at piling on damage.
- For a jab, it has fantastic range.
- It's great to jab cancel with; ie jab cancel into a Dtilt or jab cancel into a grab or Judgment.
- The jab forces your opponent back up into their standing position, which can allow for a pseudo-chaingrab from Dthrow or back to a jab cancel.
- This can also hit foes directly behind you as well.
- It's a decent move that has its uses; though most times if you want to jab, there's Dtilt which is usually better.

Chef (posts #82-102)
- The food flies in random trajectories that can't be controlled. This can be a good thing by creating a nice wall of high-priority projectiles that do a lot of damage and also bad because they can miss your opponent entirely.
- Frying pan deals a nice blow and sends your foe at a downward angle.
- You can mash B to speed up the rate of the food being fired.
- Makes for a nice edgeguarding tool.
- It's great for luring opponents to use their projectiles; this is beneficial when you can absorb said projectiles with your Bucket.
- The delayed travel of the food can provide some good approach and cover for other moves.
- Chef is a pretty ok special that really shines against opponents that don't have projectiles and are forced to approach (ie Marth and Donkey Kong).
- Random fact that could prove useful: If Kirby sucks you up and starts using Chef, you can absorb the food. Strange thing is, this isn't possible against another G&W that uses Chef.

Judgment (posts #102-133)
- Because it has so-so start up time and the effects are random, Judgment is a pretty situational move.
- Other than a 9, there are many other good things you can get from Judgment. 6 will do a semi-spike akin to Dsmash, 7 does a nice hit and generates an apple, 2 can force a trip, and 8 freezes.
- You can slide off the edge with Judgment as soon as you side B off the ledge; you'll get a nice momentum boost when doing this.
- The best way to land a Judgment hit is off a Dthrow techchase. Edgeguarding Snake while he comes back with his Cypher is also good to get a free hit as well.
- Once your opponent is up to ~85% and above, you're better off using a smash or Fair to kill your opponent instead of trying for a 6 edgeguard or a 9 kill.
- Remember, you have to use Judgment 2 more times after you get a 9 to "reset" Judgment so you can get another 9. Your Judgment hammer will also "reset" when you respawn.

Dsmash (posts #135-150)
- One of G&W's best kill moves, and easily one of the best Dsmashes in the game.
- Tipper Dsmash annihilates virtually every character at ~95%.
- "Sourspot" Dsmash will send you foe downward and away, making it amazing against tether recoveries and characters with horrible horizontal recovery (ie Ike).
- Move has IASA frames, making it hard to punish.
- There are also invisible hitboxes outside the tips of the hammers which will still deliver a tipper hit. The range on where the hammers hit is very deceptive.
- Tipper or no tipper, the Dsmash is a very powerful move that gives G&W some of his obscene killing ability.

Utilt (posts #152-159)
- For fast fallers, Utilt is good for damage dealing by means of juggling at low percentages. Think of Shiek's Ftilt on spacies, except not as extreme.
- Decent startup and IASA frames.
- A fresh Utilt can KO lightweights at high percents (~120% or so).
- Other than that, Utilt is outclassed by other moves like G&W's Up B or his Uair which are better on people above you. Other than random kills when it's fresh and ~30% juggling combos at low %, Utilt is a situational move.

Dair (posts #161-166)
- Dair has ridiculously high priority. It will slice through a LOT of attacks, but don't rely on it to go through everything.
- AoE-style hitbox upon landing makes this attack very hard to punish.
- The first few frames of Dair spike, just like in Melee.
- You can slowfall Dair so you can spike offstage... this helps greatly at keeping you from suiciding.
- SH Dair is fun stuff. Try it sometime.
- Does a ton of damage if both hits land (~19-20)
- Overall, Dair is one of G&W's best attacks because it's just so... good. A lot of times your opponent can't do much about Dair except airdodge or powershield it. It's a very spammable move, but you can be punished if you become predictable with it and telegraph Dair from high distances above.

Fair (posts #168-182)
- Amazing disjointed hitbox; gives G&W huge range and priority.
- VERY powerful kill move offstage when it's fresh; a very good edgeguarding tool.
- This move lasts for a very long time. If you don't hit your foe with the "knockback" hitbox that comes out on the first few frames, the remainder of the attack acts like a sex kick.
- The best situations where Fair can be used the best are offstage and in a complete air battle it seems. SHing with Fair is not advisable because the terrible cooldown on this move means you'll be punished.
- Try to not land with this move as little as possible. It is much better to land on the ground with an autocanceled Nair or Uair, the landing hitbox on the Bair, or with the Dair and its shockwave hitbox upon hitting the ground.

Ftilt (posts #184-188)
- Well... it lasts through spotdodges which is nice.
- Delivers a nice hit that can possibly kill off the edge when it's fresh, but Dtilt is usually the better move because of its superior range, speed, and IASA frames.
- You're going to be hard pressed to find a use for Ftilt in your game (at least for me). It's better to stick with Dtilt.

Bair (posts #190-204)
- G&W's best move, hands down. If you're going to play with G&W, you'd better be using this move.
- Absolutely amazing at approaching. The hitbox is so ridiculously massive, VERY high priority, and it lasts for a very long time. This move has so many hitboxes to it that it will tear through shields like tissue paper.
- If your opponent puts their shield up, continue the attack and DI back so that the turtle is still draining their shield but you're well out of grab range.
- If their shield has been up or is weak, this move will shieldstab almost all the time.
- The landing hitbox makes this move borderline broken. Even if someone rolls away (if they spot dodge they still get hit because of Bair's duration) you can chase them with the landing hitbox and wreck them.
- Because of the size of the hitbox and its priority, Bair can serve has great projectile defense when in the air or SHing.
- Bair is just so good. There is no denying it. It is arguably the best move in the game.
Last updated: 8-13-08

cutter

Smash Champion
So I'll start things off. Let's talk about a move that has recently become a staple in my G&W:
Nair

G&W's new Nair is fantastic. In many ways, it is actually BETTER than his old Nair from Melee IMO. The fishbowl has VERY fast startup time and the hitbox is very deceptive. The fish circle around in a 270 degree arc to make a giant wall of disjointed goodness. Even better, the bowl and water are hitboxes as well.

This attack does a huge 17% damage when all hits connect. Against heavyweights, Nair can be chained into more Nairs to very quickly pile on hefty amounts of damage.

Nair also lingers as an attack. The duration of it can hit people through airdodges. The move has very little cooldown in the air so you can do another Nair or another aerial of your choosing. Let's also not forget Nair will autocancel, making this attack quite difficult to punish.

The only drawbacks to Nair I can find are that it doesn't cover G&W from below, and it seems to become stale pretty quickly from move decay (then again I do use it a fair amount).

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
A short hopped nair autocancels, so it can be used as a through shield approach.

If they are used to the Bair's landing lag, then the autocancel will throw them off, sometimes even setting them up for a Fsmash.

napZzz

Smash Hero
The nair can snuff out alot of attacks and works well for juggling some of the fatty characters like DK and DDD. Its just an all around move that can be used in just about any situation in the air.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Ledge-hopping Nair is useful. Leading with the disjointed hitbox is rather helpful. Since it doesn't have the lag of Fair, punishing it is more difficult.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Also, if you land an autocanceled Nair on the opponent you can use some u-tilts to rack up damage fast, they both have insane priority so being interrupted seldom happens.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
I love n-air. Great for damage. One thing to be aware of is that if your opponent shields it, immediately up-b to avoid being grabbed. You should buffer it during the n-air so you can use.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
What does everyone here think about the D-tilt? I only really use it too lock my friends in corners, I hate its nerf since melee. But, its still good! I just don't see an opportunity to use it as often as I lead with nairs and bairs. So, when do you guys like to use the manhole?

dead_cell

Smash Cadet
What does everyone here think about the D-tilt? I only really use it too lock my friends in corners, I hate its nerf since melee. But, its still good! I just don't see an opportunity to use it as often as I lead with nairs and bairs. So, when do you guys like to use the manhole?
i think its rather poor, but it can be unexpected and it does ok damage.
i would use it rarely but when my opponent least expects it. BAM:gw:

Neb

Smash Lord
People usually use it as a spacer to flip away tight approaches, an edge guard, combo finisher. It should be a key in your game, not only that, but manhole has priority to cancel out smashes, and projectiles, etc, so its also a makeshift shield.

alexrooster

Smash Cadet
D-tilt is a great spacer, good for edgeguarding, it deflects pikmin, and can also be a good follow up to a d-throw.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
D tilt is very underrated. It has a quick startup and the attack frames remain until you don't see the manhole. If you use it repeatedly, it creates an effective ground barrier. It can be an effective pseudoshield when your actual shield is running low. The hitbox is huge. The vertical range is deceptively huge. It is incredible at preventing ground approaches and even many short hop approaches. Marths can't even short hop fair approach through it. If I recall correctly, Olimar's grab range is big enough to reach through it though :/ A couple other cautionable moves are Marth scooting up with his own dtilt and fsmash, Dedede's ftilt, and maybe DK's ground pound.

If you spam dtilt intelligently, it gives you a big advantage. The range strictly limits the angles the opponent can approach. Also, the lag isn't harsh so when they jump in the air, you usually have time to react. This works best against slower characters.

Edgeguarding is also safer with dtilt. Learn the hitbox and use it wisely. If you space it correctly at the edge and spam it, the opponent will be popped out enough for you to go for an aggressive edgeguard. However, it is not impervious to the good ol' climbing the edge by pressing A. You can looking like you're spamming it, and as soon as you see them climb up stop and go for a shieldgrab.

Another key advantage of spacing is shieldpoking. If you hit someone shielding with a dtilt, just keep using it. They (except Olimar) can't do anything but roll. Most opponents however will keep shielding or sidestep and be punished.

After a successful dtilt, there are two main ways to follow up: aggressive approaching or more cowbell... er... dtilt. The dtilt spamming works well for people who have not dealt much with dtilt before. Otherwise, go for a fair or if they react slow, a hammer :p

Since dtilt is such an underused move, it'll take a long time before its weaknesses become common knowledge. When playing Forward's Dedede, it took him a while for him to realize he could just ftilt me out of spamming it haha. Before that, it flipped away his waddles and punished every other approach he had in his bag. Once your opponent knows they can outrange you (which is a rare occasion), it's time to mix it up of course.

Two of my favorites are nairing into upb, or an aerial breakfast followed up by a grab/smash.

Neb

Smash Lord
D tilt is very underrated. It has a quick startup and the attack frames remain until you don't see the manhole. If you use it repeatedly, it creates an effective ground barrier. It can be an effective pseudoshield when your actual shield is running low. The hitbox is huge. The vertical range is deceptively huge. It is incredible at preventing ground approaches and even many short hop approaches. Marths can't even short hop fair approach through it. If I recall correctly, Olimar's grab range is big enough to reach through it though :/ A couple other cautionable moves are Marth scooting up with his own dtilt and fsmash, Dedede's ftilt, and maybe DK's ground pound.

If you spam dtilt intelligently, it gives you a big advantage. The range strictly limits the angles the opponent can approach. Also, the lag isn't harsh so when they jump in the air, you usually have time to react. This works best against slower characters.

Edgeguarding is also safer with dtilt. Learn the hitbox and use it wisely. If you space it correctly at the edge and spam it, the opponent will be popped out enough for you to go for an aggressive edgeguard. However, it is not impervious to the good ol' climbing the edge by pressing A. You can looking like you're spamming it, and as soon as you see them climb up stop and go for a shieldgrab.

Another key advantage of spacing is shieldpoking. If you hit someone shielding with a dtilt, just keep using it. They (except Olimar) can't do anything but roll. Most opponents however will keep shielding or sidestep and be punished.

After a successful dtilt, there are two main ways to follow up: aggressive approaching or more cowbell... er... dtilt. The dtilt spamming works well for people who have not dealt much with dtilt before. Otherwise, go for a fair or if they react slow, a hammer :p

Since dtilt is such an underused move, it'll take a long time before its weaknesses become common knowledge. When playing Forward's Dedede, it took him a while for him to realize he could just ftilt me out of spamming it haha. Before that, it flipped away his waddles and punished every other approach he had in his bag. Once your opponent knows they can outrange you (which is a rare occasion), it's time to mix it up of course.

Two of my favorites are nairing into upb, or an aerial breakfast followed up by a grab/smash.
Good job, ^^b.

@Cut.
Hey, could you add that nair is a good projectile defense, oh and it cuts-off enemy combo's? I think that deserves a spot.

cutter

Smash Champion
Good job, ^^b.

@Cut.
Hey, could you add that nair is a good projectile defense, oh and it cuts-off enemy combo's? I think that deserves a spot.
Thanks. Done and done.

I'll input my 2 cents about Dtilt:

What a wonderful utility move at G&W's disposal. Although it does ~6% on a grounded opponent and ~9% on an opponent in the air, this move is crucial to G&W's ground game.

The move comes out very fast (~6 frame startup) and has ridiculous IASA frames attached to it. Dtilt is great for edgeguarding against people with horizontal recoveries like DK since the manhole's range keeps them from ever coming close to the edge. And like jet4 said, Dtilt has a lingering hitbox since it will hit until the manhole disappears.

It has high priority and will give you great defense against projectiles thanks to its huge range, quick startup time, priority, and IASA frames. If one wants to become a great G&W player, mastering the Dtilt is important.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
I have a question involving the N air. Though this may sound really stupid to you guys, I was wondering what autocanceling was...
Autocanceling is when you land an aerial and there is no lag upon landing. You can immediately do something else after landing.

As for my thoughts on d-tilt. Very useful for edgeguarding. Good for pseudo-shielding. Not much I can add that hasn't already been said TBH.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Yea, it doesn't have as many different uses as the nair. Ground moves can be just as good, but normally less to discuss.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
D-title comes out really quickly and because of that I usually like to follow a missed D-smash into a D-tilt to hit opponents trying to punish the lag when a D-smash > D/F-smash isn't quick enough.

Also, I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure that the manhole's hitbox extends a little bit towards the bottom. This rarely comes in handy, but it's good to know.

Also, D-throw > D-tilt is good on heavier opponents that can't be followed up by the D-smash.

---

This is already sort of stated in the summary for the N-air, but it's not obvious to many. Nair is really good for going through not only platforms, but through floors that can be penetrated (Delfino and Halberd specifically). Let go of the ledge, jump and Nair through the floor > Up-B works jawsome as Hylian has demonstrated in his video against Meta Knight.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Also, against walls the D-tilt can lock the opponent into them, until around 100%. This is great for delphino, and those pesky meta knights that wanna abuse the tiny killzones.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You can SH N-air to D-air right before you land on the ground. The N-air is insane.

And yeah, D-tilt is way too good in Brawl. It's like better than it was in Melee, but almost nobody realizes it. I mean it's so ****ing huge, almost nothing can get past it. You can do it from a crouch, and G&W is very hard to hit when he's crouching. It comes out real fast and has super good IASA frames like most of G&W's stuff.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
Dtilt umm crazy hitbox and little lag in between spam

Nair, really good for alot of dif things like doing heavy damage or fast light damage. u can also drag people with it to it you hit it right, depending on the speed your moving too

Neb

Smash Lord
Aside from dragging, if you DI away while nicking opponents with the ending fish hitbox, you can chain into other techs by taking advantage of close quarters, and the short hit-lag. Its similar to fooling with the last hit on bair.

With dtilt, if your on an incline, like a slant, if you flip the manhole out, it follows the angle. Sort of creating a pseudo wall/shield that reveals the attacks bottom-belly hitbox. You get a different effect on a decline, since the face of the manhole is better exposed.

chckn

Smash Ace
Use it occasionally for tech chasing as well as ledge spike but besides that, its really not too useful.

Neb

Smash Lord
It can cancel quite a few projectiles, including PKT2, and Firefox (extremely nerfed) if you consider them a projectile. Works good out of a dthrow, with or without a tech chase.

Oh and, I'm pretty sure this thread is just not about what you know the technique can do, but also brainstorming on some new uses. Yes, no?

chckn

Smash Ace
It can cancel quite a few projectiles, including PKT2, and Firefox (extremely nerfed) if you consider them a projectile. Works good out of a dthrow, with or without a tech chase.

Oh and, I'm pretty sure this thread is just not about what you know the technique can do, but also brainstorming on some new uses. Yes, no?
I guess so, so any solid uses besides the ones mentioned?

Ruuku

Smash Lord
I'm not going to repeat what was already said. So I'll add that use dash attack a lot mixed with Dtilt against characters that like to chase like MK, ZSS, Fox.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Dash attack has high priority, but it sucks that it knocks the opponent behind you, so it's not even good to knock an opponent off the stage. The trajectory of the knockback combined with the really bad lag makes it really difficult to follow up.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The Dash attack is G&W's fastest option from a Dash. It comes out pretty much instantly, which is nice, since your Dash grab and U-smash come out kinda slow. The priority is absolutely ridiculous, so if you call correctly that someone is going to attack you, many times, you can beat them out or clash with this attack, and if you clash, I'd guess 90% of the time it was against some other odd disjointed hitbox, but you'll probably be close enough to D-tilt immediately afterwards to punish.

The ending lag of course leaves this attack punishable if it doesn't connect with anything, or if it hits someone's shield. However this attack will murder spotdodgers. :chuckle:

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I dunno about the dash attack. It feels like the SH Fair does everything more effectively.

The only time I really use it is when I am right on the edge of the level, guarding, hoping for a shieldgrab. Opponents tend to ledge roll from this position! Then you can use the dash attack to get them back out there for a gimp or something I guess. I don't really use it that much =[

Top Bottom