• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunday July 20th, Ann Arbor, MI - Digital Ops Biweekly #5!! New Strike Out System!

Vayseth

Smash Master
Past Tournament Results:
DOB1- http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=8952
DOB2- http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=11051
DOB3- http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=12940
DOB4- http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=15345
DOB5- http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=23215

Original threads here:
DOB1: http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=5807
DOB2: http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=8946
DOB3: http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=11080
DOB4: http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=13995
DOB5: http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=20738

Tournament Series Page with links to all of the tournaments in one easy-to-find location!:
http://allisbrawl.com/series.aspx?id=99

Discussion for tournament #5 started with post 426 on page 29.

Address:
525 E Liberty St.
Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48104 United States
Notes: This is located downtown but don't worry! These will be held on Sunday so all parking (street and otherwise) is free on Sundays. Plenty of places to eat within one block of the store.

DATE AND TIME:
Sunday July 20th
Registration @ 12 noon.
Doubles starts between 1 and 2pm (if you are not there by 2 pm, the tournament will start without you).
Singles after doubles (and a short dinner break): Around 5 pm.
(times subject to change)

ENTRY FEE:
Doubles: $20 per team
Singles: $10
The entire entry fee will be placed in the pot to be redistributed as prizes.

PRIZES:
Doubles:
To be determined based on teams entering. Usually 60, 30, 10.
Singles:
If under 32 people, prize pay out is:
1st- 60% 2nd- 30% 3rd- 10%
If over 32 people, prize pay out is:
4th place gets their money back and both 5th placers get half of their entry fee returned. After that money has been removed from the pot:
1st- 60% 2nd- 30% 3rd- 10%

BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER. NO, WE DO NOT HAVE EXTRAS. ALSO, MAKE SURE IT IS PROPERLY MARKED SO YOU MAY TELL WHO'S IS WHO'S. I WILL CHECK WHEN YOU REGISTER THAT YOU HAVE YOUR OWN CONTROLLER AND THAT IT IS PROPERLY MARKED. Any mods other than cosmetic or the removal of L or R button springs (aka, turbo buttons, etc) are BANNED.

RULES:
Default settings
TEAM ATTACK ON
3 Stock 8 Minutes
All matches are best 2/3, except for loser's finals, winner's finals and grand finals, which will be 3/5.
No excessive stalling
Pausing is forgivable to an extent, but pausing during a crucial point (like a Lucas/Ness up+B recovery) can result in a DQ.
You are given 3 minutes to report to the desk after you are called. If you do not report you will be DQ'ed. If you have to go somewhere, tell the desk, and we can work something out.

"HOW TO PLAY"
This tournament will be one of the few tournaments to start implementing the new "stage strike" system as well as one of the first to reflect a lot of new ruling changes in the way of stages. "Stage strike" is a new method aimed at preventing the use of the random button, making match ups more neutral, and allowing for more stage variety. Players/teams will be given a list of 9 "starter stages" and they will each take turns striking off stages until one stage remains. That will be the stage played in the first match. After that, players are allowed to ban a stage in either the starter or the counterpick stage list, preventing that stage from being counterpicked. Bans have NO EFFECT on the initial stage striking process. They only effect the counterpick matches.

Detailed explaination of how this works:
1. At the start of each match, the players/teams choose their characters and then one player/team will flip a coin. The winner of the coin pick will chose to go either first or second.
2. The team/player that goes first will strike any stage from the list of nine, followed by the second team/player and this will repeat until 1 stage remains.
3. Teams/players will elect their stage bans. The team that went first must ban their stage first. You get one stage ban per team or in singles, one ban per player.
4. The first stage will be played.
5. The losing team picks any stage in the starter or counterpick pools of stages to play on (as long as it is not a banned stage). The winners then have an opportunity to change their characters, following by the losers having the ability to also change their characters.
6. Repeat step 5 until there is a team/player with 2/3 victories or 3/5 victories (depending on the round in the tournament).

After the first round everyone should have an idea on how this works.

STAGE SELECTION (there same for both tournaments)
Starters:
1. Battlefield
2. Final Destination
3. Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
4. Castle Siege
5. Smashville
6. Pokemon Stadium 1
7. Brinstar
8. Halberd
9. Distant Planet

Counter-Picks:
Pirate Ship
Norfair
Pokemon Stadium 2
Luigi's Mansion
Frigate Orpheon
Lylat Cruise
Pictochat
Green Hill Zone
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Corneria
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Delfino Plaza

Custom stages are BANNED.

Reasons for banning stages:

1. Mushroomy Kingdom- The postion in which you spawn is determined by controller priority meaning a player plugged into a certain slot gets a free advantage over the other player since the screen only scrolls one way. On 1-2, Kirby/Metaknight's up throw can kill off the top in certain circumstances over 40%. Also, up smashes off the top kill at ridiculously low percents as well. It becomes a control of the top match.
2. New Pork City- way too big for singles or doubles even.
3. Rumble Falls- the fast screen scrolling and amazing amount of obstacles makes the match more about playing against the stage than your opponent.
4. Spear Pillar- way too many forces that disrupt the match as well as hazards that kill very easily and in some circumstances impossible to avoid.
5. Wario Ware- it gives invincibility randomly to one player.
6. Bridge of Eldin- nothing really wrong with the stage, but the fact that players will be forced to wait until the bridge returns to normal before fighting again means that almost every match would go to 8 minutes and to help run a fast yet effective tournament, it is banned.
7. Summit- You can run infinitely around the center piece without getting caught. Also, the fish comes up usually without warning.
8. 75m- It's too big, has nasty hazards and leads to another game of chasing people.
9. Mario Bros.- The koopa shells in the level are really over powered and it has the shallowest edges out of any walk off stage, leading to early deaths.
10. Flat Zone 2- It is really easy to camp and back throw people off of the level. No obstacles prevent people from using this strategy.
11. Hanenbow- The stage is too big for one, and can lead to a lot of chasing games. The time limit will also likely be reached more often than not.
12. Shadow Moses- The 4 walls give huge advantages to characters with wall infites and that would become the focus of this map.
13. Hyrule Temple- It's too big and can lead to endless chasing games.
14. Big Blue- Yet another example of playing more against the stage than the opponent.
15. Skyworld- This is just a bad stage. Many characters have up-smash/up-tilt semi-infinites in the middle, which also break the bottom at the same time, leading to spikes. In addition to the random attacks breaking the floors and killing people as they are trying to fast fall an aerial and end up going through the platform. It can kill people randomly at 0% and is just a bad stage. Also, Lucas is the definition of broke on this stage.
16. Onett- I don't like the walls. Sure, the cars break them up, but if you're doing a wall infinite, the cars add a whopping 30% to your infinite, which means if you hit them again they die. There is also one location where the cars do not disrupt any infinites. I would consider this stage for doubles, but the wall infinites are so much easier to do on Onett than they are on Corneria, since you can't really get away from walls on Onett while on Corneria you can.
17. Port Town Aero Drive- I like this stage more than any of them, however... The cars are just too strong. You can get around them, and I've barely gotten hit by them, but if you know the stage better than your opponent, there are multiple ways to kill with the cars as early as 40%. The lack of edges on the platform really screws a lot of recoveries and makes people either eat a smash on the platform, or makes them fall on the floor which, depending on the floor, will either bounce you back up, or spike you. If the cars were set and low damage like Mario Circuit, this would be awesome, and if it had ledges it would be a starter but... it doesn't have those, and the cars are just too strong.
18. Mario Circuit- There are really no "good" reasons to ban this stage. There are many reasons to not play the stage, since it is bad, but nothing really "broken. I will say this, I am putting this under the same ruling as Flatzone II. It's really easy to camp and get low % kills and there isn't really anything stopping players from doing it. If someone is camping, there isn't much of a reason to approach them, so time wastes, and, really, it's just a bad stage. No one really wants the stage anyway, so I don't see enough good to counter the bad here.

PM me or hit me up on AIM if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

Vayseth

Smash Master
C+Pd from All is Brawl. Any questions? Leave 'em here or PM me! Better yet, leave them at all is brawl or PM me there!

Hopefully these do well over the summer and if they do, maybe we can host the biweeklies here too when school's back in session.

Vayseth

Smash Master
No, no, no, no, and NO. There's no reason to allow it and PLENTY of reasons to not allow it. Let me show you:

1. Cannons, they can be easy gimp KOs, ESPECIALLY in doubles.
2. Floaty ship section is annoying and you can get killed by that transformation. All wind parts (even in Poke stadium 2) are bannable.
3. The ship spike. D3 can infinite chain grab into the boat after it crashes killing both people when the boat resurfaces.

There's plenty of reasons to ban it, other than it also being a possible camper's dream with all of the transformations. No, no, no, no, NO.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
bah, i didnt know about the D3 infinate there your right but i dont think pictochat should be allowed either

Vayseth

Smash Master
Picto chat doesn't have anything that KILLS or does super high dmg. I mean, I understand, and I don't like the stage, but if they don't GIMP, I can't ban it =(

In other news, Norfair and Pokestadium 2 are allowed for counterpicks at this tournament, because they don't have 50% dmg bombs.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Uh, Pictochat has plenty of things that kill and/or deal damage. The spike floor, the piranha plant, the mine cart, the spike walls, the twin flames.... Why can't you ban something? It's your tournament, your rules. Just don't do anything that changes the fundamental mechanics of the game (coin match, damage ratio, items, that sorta thing). Hell, Japan's Melee stage selection was limited to Final Destination and Dream Land 64. And that's it.

Stadium 2.... isn't that counterpick #1 for G&W?

Vayseth

Smash Master
I'm considering allowing Pokestadium, Norfair, and Skyworld. I am also considering banning Pictochat. Everyone, play on these 4 stages and figure out if you think they are fair or not.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
If those stages are allowed i think pirate ship should be 2. its not hard to avoid the bombs, and when the rock comes up dont go down there if your fighting D3, at least in singles Ban it for doubles not for singles. (IMO) Im only making this argument cause the level is awesome, and i personally dont think its as bad as other levels. I've been killed by pictochat and lylat more than pirate ship.

PS 2 has lame level changes and a easy gimp for metaknight at 0% on the air level, the electric treadmills **** anyone who has lag after there up B (IKE).

I see no problem with nofair.

skyworld just screams play metaknight rob or pit all over it and dont give tethers any chance of recovery. And Yes please BAN PICTOCHAT ive gotten level killed there so many times.

Vayseth

Smash Master
I'm really considering banning pictochat. A lot of people dislike it on All is brawl.

The ship kind of has those 50% bombs which kill in one hit. If it didn't have those, I'd allow it.

Also, if the wind is a problem for you on PS 2, it's on Pirate Ship too, so they'd both be out. Tell me about treadmill lag. You mean to say that if an Ike up Bs onto a treadmill they will die? Also, I have played on the wind stage of PS 2 a lot and seen no issue with the stage so if you can give me some actual reasons (g+w is not a reason) we'll consider banning it.

Skyworld is def out.

I'm considering distant planet atm.

Right now it stands that distant planet, norfair, PS 2, and Picto chat are CPable while Skyworld will remain banned. I am strongly considering banning Pictochat and absolutely not banning norfair. I'm looking into PS 2 and Ditant Planet more. We've got about 2 more weeks before it's final so, just give it some time.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
distant planet is gay as hell, you can ****ing camp where the platform overlaps the slope. If you are marth or someone with huge range its easy as **** to camp it. you need to keep it banned. And the water doesnt do much to stop it. You can just go and grab the edge until it stops, or if you are lucario, you can sit and wall cling under the water rushing down.

And also, norfair, you say you played it for 2 hours and didn't have a problem with the spouts of lava coming from the back ground, I don't believe that you did. We played 2 games and both games someone died from the spouts. In one game, someone got hit into it and they died. In the other game, first they got hit into, went flying to the left, lived, but as they were recovering, a 2nd one went right in the path of the recovery, and they died. So much ******** death stuff happens there.

Pictochat should stay counterpickable. The only stage hazard that kills at a low percent is the spike gate thingy, and most of the time it goes up and people just wait a few seconds.

PS 2 needs to stay banned. G&W being able it easily kill at 0% along with bananas and tops on the conveyor belt, along with the ******** ice that you trip a lot on, along with the ******** floaty section that characters with good range reign supreme on, is reason enough to ban the stage. Its a terrible stage, keep it banned.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
on PS 2 i agree with bowyer, but disagree with pictochat. ive been gimped there alot by spikes wind spike walls extc.

@ vayseth: about the wind on pirate ship and PS 2, i know that was my point i was saying if PS 2 is allowed i think pirate ship should 2. In PS 2 the treadmills give characters with spamable projectiles and objects that can trip/hit a big advantage.
I understand why pirate ship is banned dont think im still fighting for it, but if youre gonna allow a level like PS 2 where the person counterpicking it is gaurenteed a cheap kill due ot level effects, allow pirate ship where at least everyone has a chance at getting hit.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Norfair is still in. We're officially banning Distant Planet and Pictochat. We had a lot of really aweful matches on those 2 maps today.

Bowyer, I have still yet to die by lava. You really need to learn how to dodge. Also, most of All Is Brawl says the stage is fine.

On PS 2, I guess I'm leaning towards a ban at this point. While there are no hazards or stupid stuff to speak off on the map, it is just simply annoying as ballz, which I guess is enough to get the ban hammer. I'mma still need more time to mess with it though, especially since some stupid stuff happened to me in matches today.

Norfair in, PS 2 maybe, the rest (skyworld, distant, picto) out.

lain

Smash Master
I'm coming, and I shall bring a wii. My friend might come as well with his.

Uhhh.

Norfair isn't that bad.

Uhhh. Ban PS2. Although the likelihood of G&W getting a 0% uair kill is nil, it's just a ridiculous stage that frigs with everything (namely the mechanics and physics).

Also Metaknight should be banned.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Ever consider trying to implement custom stages at all (as long as you show people WHAT the stages are well before hand)? Its fairly easy to make very neutral custom stage, as well as transfer them between Wiis. I love the idea of custom stages and I hate to watch them continue to be ignored by the community :/

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Is digital ops the game center across the street from Pinball Pete's or am I thinking of something else?

Also, how friendly an atmosphere is it? Never been to a smash tourney, and I don't know what to expect.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Dude, they're so fun and the people are pretty sweet, except maybe the Midland guys :p, jk.

Vayseth, where is Digital Ops?

And one more thing. I won't be there because I'm gonna be in Grand Rapids or maybe Traverse City, haven't made my mind up yet.

Vayseth

Smash Master
It's on Liberty road right across from the Boarders by state street. RIGHT DOWNTOWN, which is why the sunday and free parking stuff.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Alright, I think I know where it is. Thanks.

How many people usually show up? Also, how badly am I likely to get *****?

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
This is the first one, so yeah...

Playing with better people will only make you get better faster.

lain

Smash Master
uhh... not low. hahaha. when i first entered the smash scene i always kept my sights high, even if i lost. now i'm...... super good lol.

if anyone needs directions to digi ops, call me at 734.272.7347

the sign doesn't exactly stand out lol. it's like... black. with some white. so watch out haha.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
lol, it seems like people don't have much faith in you lain. Next time we see each other, we'll mm.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
id say be there at 4 to play it safe.

Lain money match teams me and you vs anyone who wants to play us in MM Teams

Edit: and wtf guys we all know lain is a higher tier than metaknight :-p

Top Bottom