• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Play 2 Win] Competitive Community Podcast (SMASH BACKROOM DISCUSSION - EPISODE 12)

RDK

Smash Hero
[Play 2 Win] Competitive Community Podcast

UPDATE:

We now have our own server space to host our episodes, and we are now available on iTunes!

Try searching for [play2win] podcast in the iTunes podcast store, or subscribe to this RSS feed in the program:

http://p2wpodcast.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Hey everybody! The group over at P2W were throwing around the idea of doing a Smash podcast, but nothing like Show Me Your News. Instead, it would deal with issues surrounding the competitive scene, and how the evolution of Brawl will effect that. Expect outlooks on tournament play, advanced techniques, Brawl adaptations, and general information on competitive Brawl.

The whole idea is to have a variety of people from the Smash community on the podcast to share their views and experiences. If you're interested on being on the show, post a small paragraph in the thread about why, and it will be reviewed.

Here is the list of podcast downloads. Just right-click on the download links and hit "Save As," and stick them on your hard drive.

We'll try to get the clips loaded on Esnips so you can stream them for those who have slow internet. As soon as we get the episodes streamable on the P2W server, you'll be able to stream them from there, also.

Enjoy the podcast, and best wishes to the Smash community!

~RDK

PRAISE:

I enjoy p2w podcast almost as much as I enjoyed killing Lincoln.
This is what SMYN should be doing.
RDK's voice is so smexy! :chuckle:
Amazing and very entertaining.
Nice podcast. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
First two podcasts were great, though from what I've been reading here, sounds like it's going to get much better. Good job, guys.
Just thought I'd say thanks for doing this podcast. It's really going to help me when trying to go from a non-competitive Melee player to a more competitive Brawl player.
Play 2 Win 4 Life!

DOWNLOADS:

Due to a particular nefarious former podcaster and website host who cast the old episodes into oblivion, we cannot currently provide you with podcasts 2 through 7. You can however view the very first on on the P2W Youtube channel located below, and the new ones are now hosted on eSnips.

WGWOLVERINE's Podcast Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITvs5K4pUZ4

Play 2 Win Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOH5JFwYqU4&feature=PlayList&p=AA5779498CF013F6&index=0&playnext=1

Play 2 Win eSnips Channel:

http://www.esnips.com/web/play2win

Download: P2W Podcast - #1: Competitive Brawl, Part 1

- Featuring: RDK, The Buzz Saw, WGWOLVERINE

Download: P2W Podcast - #2: Competitive Brawl, Part 2

- Featuring: RDK, The Buzz Saw, WGWOLVERINE

Download: P2W Podcast - #3: Goodbye L-Cancelling

- Featuring RDK, The Buzz Saw, MookieRah

Download: P2W Podcast - #4: WARNING: Brawl Approaching

- Featuring RDK, The Buzz Saw, WGWOLVERINE, SiD

Download: P2W Podcast - #5: Attack of the Clones

Streaming: P2W Podcast - #5: Attack of the Clones

- Featuring RDK, The Buzz Saw, SiD, Kabyk-Greenmyst

Download: P2W Podcast - #5.5: The Noobcast

- Featuring SiD, Kabyk-Greenmyst, Awol, Nick James

Download: P2W Podcast - #6: Brawl Reviewed

- Featuring RDK, The Buzz Saw, Kabyk-Greenmyst, Awol, SiD, WGWOLVERINE

Download: P2W Podcast - #7: The Ground We Stand On

- Featuring Kabyk-Greenmyst, Smooth Criminal, Wigz, Rex

BRAND NEW!!! LIKE A BABY'S BEHIND:

Download: P2W Podcast - #8: Reunion Podcast

- Featuring RDK, Kabyk-Greenmyst, SiD, Rex, Zephyr, Superstar, Shadowstar

Download: P2W Podcast - #9: Rex Is A Meme

- Featuring RDK, Kabyk-Greenmyst, SiD, Rex

Download: P2W Podcast - #10: The Toastcast

- Featuring RDK, Kabyk-Greenmyst, SiD, Wigz

Download: P2W Podcast - #11: Brawl Is Serious Business

- Featuring RDK, Kabyk-Greenmyst, SiD, Rex

BRAWL BACKROOM PODCAST:

Download: P2W Podcast - #12: To Ban or Not To Ban (Part 1)

- Featuring RDK, Overswarm, Omni, Adumbrodeus, Jack Kieser

Download: P2W Podcast - #12: To Ban or Not To Ban (Part 2)

- Featuring RDK, Overswarm, Omni, Adumbrodeus, Jack Kieser

RDK

Smash Hero
hey, how long is the podcast?
The first episode is only 15 minutes, due to it being primarily a teaser of sorts. The second one is 45 minutes.

Sounds like a great idea. =) Try to get it in the iTunes Store. You'll get more people to listen.
Thanks for the input! I haven't had the time yet, but I was definetely thinking about putting it up on iTunes. The traffic is great for exposure.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
Hey everybody! The group over at P2W were throwing around the idea of doing a Smash podcast, but nothing like Show Me Your News. Instead, it would deal with issues surrounding the competitive scene, and how the evolution of Brawl will effect that. Expect outlooks on tournament play, advanced techniques, Brawl adaptations, and general information on competitive Brawl.
And this just happens to go up within minutes of my first episode being posted that I've talked about for a good week and a half....

Honestly, a copy is a perfect way of saying that you started something good.;) It is a compliment!

RDK

Smash Hero
And this just happens to go up within minutes of my first episode being posted that I've talked about for a good week and a half....

Honestly, a copy is a perfect way of saying that you started something good.;) It is a compliment!
...?

I had no idea you were trying to do the same thing. I don't visit the Brawl Boards too much, so I didn't see your topic.

Good luck, though.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Listening to the podcast now. LOL @ the intro Falcon nonsense. Anyways, I'ma gonna ask to be on the next show. Buzz gets all the fun.

Live Mad Editz:
LOLz, you guys think Idaho is bad for competitive play... Try Mississippi.

Footstool jumping won't be good based on how hard it is, it will be based on how effective it is. If it's badass people will learn it and master it. Judging from the info we have, it doesn't seem to be great. It makes them fall slowly and they can't jump for a little while, but not enough to kill them. Then again, if you constantly did it, it could be like a fox shine. Potentially really good.

I don't know much about tripping.

Meh, enough of edits, I don't feel like editing any more. I'd have a lot of different things I could discuss about with this crepe.

BleachMan!

Smash Apprentice
Just finished the first episode, I like it :D. It's pretty cool to get competitive players views for Brawl. I haven't been much of a Melee Tourney goer, but I hoping I can change that with Brawl, and this podcast with definitely help. Now to Episode 2!

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Loved episode 1.

Will now listen to 2

And I loved how one of y'all (forgot who) mentioned that with wavedashing gone and automatic lag cancel (though I thought fastfall caused that) competive will be able to focus more on newer things

RDK

Smash Hero
Listening to the podcast now. LOL @ the intro Falcon nonsense. Anyways, I'ma gonna ask to be on the next show. Buzz gets all the fun.

Live Mad Editz:
LOLz, you guys think Idaho is bad for competitive play... Try Mississippi.

Footstool jumping won't be good based on how hard it is, it will be based on how effective it is. If it's badass people will learn it and master it. Judging from the info we have, it doesn't seem to be great. It makes them fall slowly and they can't jump for a little while, but not enough to kill them. Then again, if you constantly did it, it could be like a fox shine. Potentially really good.

I don't know much about tripping.
Mookie on our podcast? Alright!

And yeah, that was exactly our view on footstool jumping. If it's something really effective / broken, or really stupid, it'll have a major effect on competitive play. I think if you go further into the podcast, we talk about it more in-depth.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
One thing of note is that you should sway away from using "Show me your", in the beginning of the podcast. A little too much like SMYN. I do, like previously stated, like the falcon crazyness.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I've just got a new Lab Top and downloading it, I'm thinking you could use Windows Media Player to listen or no?

Xanderous

Smash Lord
I think you misinterpreted the new airdodge mechanic which, although momentum based, doesn't require you to run before using.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I think you misinterpreted the new airdodge mechanic which, although momentum based, doesn't require you to run before using.
You don't have to run before doing it, but because it doesn't alter your momentum you cannot alter your flight path, so to speak.

RDK

Smash Hero
That's my bad, then. It is momentum-based, though, and you still have to use directional input.

You don't have to run before doing it, but because it doesn't alter your momentum you cannot alter your flight path, so to speak.
I'm kind of lukewarm about some people being able to use their second jump / Up-B after airdodging. What are your guys's thoughts on this?

BrawlinNess

Smash Cadet
Not to be mean but this does sound like a rip-off of the one podcast the Frog guy is doing...

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Not to be mean but this does sound like a rip-off of the one podcast the Frog guy is doing...
These guys have been planning this for even longer than he has, although they were discussing it on their personal forums. Besides, Frog can still do his podcast if he wants to, I'm sure a lot of people would want to listen to various opinions and stuff.
I'm kind of lukwarm about some people being able to use their second jump / Up-B after airdodging. What are your guys's thoughts on this?
I can see it being a good thing. It seems that it's set in place to prevent combos from getting out of hand. Actually if you think about a lot of the new Brawl elements and how universal they are, it's very similar to how Guilty Gear provide ways to prevent infinites and ridiculous stuff from occuring; however, it isn't nearly as complicated as Guilty Gear.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
Right. Glad we're on the same page. I was afraid I'd confused it with something else.

As far as the new mechanic goes, I welcome it. Like you guys said, it means no more suicides because of accidental airdodges and since it no longer counts as your third jump, I expect it to be used much more often for actual dodges.

the kilt

Smash Rookie
I'm excited to listen to this and I'll edit this post once I finish listening to both episodes.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
RDK, I think your voice vs. my voice in a podcast would just be sex.

you guys did a great job on this.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
@BrawlinNess
Look, there isn't anything wrong with having competition in the first place. Secondly, your attacks aren't warranted, nor are they in good taste. Lastly, they have already released a few podcasts, and even though it's in it's early stages they have done something other than talk about it.

I'm endorsing this podcast though, cause I know the P2W guys pretty well. I'm gonna get in touch with some of the peepz I know to garner potential guests, as well as call my friend Graham Hancock who runs the 10thwonder podcast, which is currently the #1 Heroes podcast in the US and see if I can get him to critique the P2W podcast and give some constructive feedback as to things to make it more professional.

RDK

Smash Hero
I'm endorsing this podcast though, cause I know the P2W guys pretty well. I'm gonna get in touch with some of the peepz I know to garner potential guests, as well as call my friend Graham Hancock who runs the 10thwonder podcast, which is currently the #1 Heroes podcast in the US and see if I can get him to critique the P2W podcast and give some constructive feedback as to things to make it more professional.
Wow! That would definetely be something worth looking into. After all, the whole point of this podcast is to service the Smash community, and we want to make it as good as possible.

Also, an important update: for all of the iTunes users out there, Buzz is going to be hosting an RSS feed of the podcast files on his blog so that I can upload them to iTunes. If you would prefer subscribing to our podcast instead of downloading each individual episode, then this is for you.

It will be up on iTunes as soon as we get them hosted on Buzz's blog.

Zek

Smash Ace
About episode 2, you guys really need to have a foil if you're going to debate controversial issues, i.e. a relatively casual player to argue with. You guys made a lot of exaggerations and strawman arguments that were frustrating to listen to. I understand the podcast is about competitive play, but no matter what your position is it's boring listening to a bunch of guys just bashing on newbs and agreeing with eachother. Not to say that your positions were all wrong, there just needs to be a counterpoint or debating "the issues" is meaningless. What makes a debate interesting is people bouncing their ideas off of eachother.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Not to say that your positions were all wrong, there just needs to be a counterpoint or debating "the issues" is meaningless. What makes a debate interesting is people bouncing their ideas off of eachother.
Yeah that is true, it did get heavy there with the whole prophet issue; however, they weren't really bashing casual players but merely gullible people that were being noobs at life. BUT, it is true that you guys make sure not to trounce on the casual side too much, otherwise it would be bad. Perhaps someone should play the devil's advocate in those situations?

RDK

Smash Hero
About episode 2, you guys really need to have a foil if you're going to debate controversial issues, i.e. a relatively casual player to argue with. You guys made a lot of exaggerations and strawman arguments that were frustrating to listen to. I understand the podcast is about competitive play, but no matter what your position is it's boring listening to a bunch of guys just bashing on newbs and agreeing with eachother. Not to say that your positions were all wrong, there just needs to be a counterpoint or debating "the issues" is meaningless. What makes a debate interesting is people bouncing their ideas off of eachother.
Yeah that is true, it did get heavy there with the whole prophet issue; however, they weren't really bashing casual players but merely gullible people that were being noobs at life. BUT, it is true that you guys make sure not to trounce on the casual side too much, otherwise it would be bad. Perhaps someone should play the devil's advocate in those situations?
The great thing about this podcast is that we value people's opinions, and the whole point is to reflect the Smash community. We have been actually talking about the idea of having a casuals vs. competitives debate (of sorts), so it might just come to fruition.

Ideas are welcome.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I am going to move my comp to another room so there isnt so much echo on my mic. I think Tom needs some credit for the pilot. It is just great how much positive feedback ive been hearing, and i agree with mookie, in order to eliminate the stereotypical competitive hating casual vibe, we need to at least be willing to play devils advocate, but Buzz and I sort of touched on that in the creators intent section. Cant thank Buzz enough for everything he's done to contribute to [p2w], because his influence has been tremendous. Glad you MSN'd me asking for the link to p2w.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Hey guys, looks like we bagged MikeG and friends for the podcast. Here is his response to me asking:
MikeG said:
oh yeah mos def dude. Id like to share some thoughts at some time. maybe I could get a few members from my crew too...they are better at that kinda stuff than I am lol
So yeah, good stuff there. The "You Must Recover!" podcast isn't the only one with star power.

evilflame101

Smash Journeyman
airdodge does not require moving, it just doesnt give you momentum, but you kinda have momentum anyway when you do jump, but you dont have to run into it. Only thing is, the arch you airdodge might become pretty predictable. Great podcast though!

k-sin

Smash Cadet
Just thought I'd say thanks for doing this podcast. It's really going to help me when trying to go from a non-competitive Melee player to a more competitive Brawl player.
Also I don't think that the prophets need to be worried about since the game and all it's hidden characters/secrets will probably be everywhere on the 24th or 25th (perhaps 23rd to America).

Top Bottom